• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Do better. Preferably not as support.

Very few teams, even there, are too heavy. That won't stop them from being really heavy.

Carry and Mid are probably the strongest positions, but only if you can play the roles (I assume nothing if you are 1100). As the carry, you have to be able to position and focus. Most enemy teams at that level won't focus correctly until it is too late. However, if you play top timidly and don't get the auto attacks that you have to be putting out in team fights, it's impossible to carry as AD. Learn to CS, learn to team fight. This, despite being a simple role, is probably the most ****ed up at that level.

As mid, you have to win hard or be playing someone who scales like a mother ****er and win anyway (crush them in CS with someone like Karthus and I'm not talking Veigar). You can't be outplayed and you have to be aware of your opponent's jungler because getting gabled can turn the tide too far. It's imperative to be ahead so that it's easier to go and help other lanes. The mid is extrememly strong and many teams are not aware enough to deal with you roaming with your level advantage. If there is action in bot lane, you should be en route to pick up the pieces if it goes sour or, preferably, turn it around.

In general, WARD THE DAMN MAP! No one's gonna do it for you and if you ***** about wards no one will listen. Remind people, ask for specific places to be warded by specific people and by a ward every single time you go back. The ward is more important than that sixth slot blue crystal.

Past that, take charge. You win a team fight at bottom? Do dragon (another major reason that mid and bot are powerful is Dragon). Late game you see two people show up bottom? Make the baron call immediately. Your team going to do something stupid or is that Pantheon trying to make a call you don't like? Retreat ping like a mad man and prove that you won't be a part of his suicide run next time. This means your calls must be better than there's though, as being a coward at the wrong time is just as likely to throw the game.

Last thing for now, have an effect everywhere. Mid should roam at 1100 in most scenarios. No matter how far you are (past bottom to top lane situations in laning phase, but not the reverse necessarily) go to where the action is. Better you get there late and be unable to do anything and have to retreat than to miss an opportunity to pick up a double and win the fight. I swear it doesn't take as long as you think to get there. If you carry, go mid or top when you take bot tower or maybe before. Take your support and jungler and go take their blue when it's up. Force down mid before they can repond, but be the first team to group up and stay grouped thereafter, even if that means following your Morgana to mid when she just wants to farm and turning it into a siege.

More later (wrt support especially), but I hope that helps, Krys.

:phone:
Thanks so much, I just finished a game as Zyra and carried hard, with about 3//4ths of Malhazar's CS all game too... lol. I think mid is my new favorite role in solo, but I prefer support or ADC in duo. :)

And I know what you mean by wards, I buy at least 2 every other B I do so that I can ward their blue / river on top if I'm purple and bottom if I'm blue.

Our soraka didn't ward for **** but she healed us really good. So I had to ward a bit, and as a mid that takes away from build but hey I was buying them greens every other B anyways XD

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
In ranked, there will be times you have to play support. You don't have to encourage it. You can troll and say that you'll be playing support Darius or claim that you'll be the ***** who won't do it and will fight over mid, but if they don't give into your childish demands, you nut up and play a support. You probably need to be playing support if your last pick anyway.

In any case, you can do work as support even if your carry is ********. At sub 1300 at least, the top three supports are Alistar and Blitz/Nunu in that order. That is not to say you should play them if you can't do Ali's combo or land a hook with Blitz (personally, I never took the time to learn Ali because we have a dedicated support player that is always playing with me and I can't land a hook to save my life). Soraka, Sona, and Janna can all have major effects on the game.

First, take Flash/Exhaust. I don't care who you're playing, take those two spells. Flash to save your life and Exhaust to save everyone's. You see their carry? Exhausted. Exhausted every. God. Damned. Fight. They can't position for ****, so exhaust them.

Second, but a faerie charm and as many wards as you can fit into your grubby little pockets. Wards win wars. You will keep dragon warded. You will keep tri or maybe even ****ing wraiths, warded. That's your job. You will always come back to lane with at least one more ward and you will not be afraid to go back to get them if your wards go down. You will not be afraid to ward lane brush to stop them from pushing you away from creeps. If you think warding lane brush is a waste, you will leave this thread and bash your head against a wall until the problem has been alleviated. If your opponents are pushing and pushing hard, you will not hesitate in buying a pink to open them up to punishment for being ********.

In lane, you will only CS when the carry is dead or on his way back. You are not the heroic carry Sona you think you are. You are an enabler. You make bads into carries. When you CS, you will bite your lip so hard it bleeds if you hit something and it doesn't die unless you have been pushed to tower. Pushing the lane is NOT what you want to do.

In lane, you will support your carry. Almost always, your CC will be aimed at the other carry. Slows, stuns, debuffs, and your damage should be aiming to net your carry that kill. Exhaust is what wins fights in bot many times. Exhaust their carry BEFORE he wrecks yours. Keep track of what summoner are up and down in public and tell your carry if you think you will lose because their exhaust is up and both your flashes aren't.

Watch the map. Ping. Not just for your lane, but for everyone. If your carry is caught by the jungler and got no warning, don't call it his fault. It's your's for either not pinging him back or warding in the first place.

Still call the plays. Be the mind of the team unless someone else is leading better than you.

A wise man (who I cannot remember the identity of) once told me that, when it's time to group up (and you should be the first to do so), to find the player dealing damage on your team and keep him alive. Follow him around, help him carry you.

Don't forget shurelias, Randuins, and Locket actives in fights and engages or disengages. Exhaust the enemy carry or maybe bruiser or the one who jumped on whoever is carrying your team. Peel for whoever is carrying, keep them in the fight. If things go south, don't be a hero, pop Shurelias and save as many lives as you can.

Top/Jungle later.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
And I know what you mean by wards, I buy at least 2 every other B I do so that I can ward their blue / river on top if I'm purple and bottom if I'm blue.

Our soraka didn't ward for **** but she healed us really good. So I had to ward a bit, and as a mid that takes away from build but hey I was buying them greens every other B anyways XD
And if you're mid, the most important spot to ward is wraiths. If bot keeps Dragon warded, they know everytime someone heads for them far in advance and you can stuff many invade attempts by knowing they are there.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Dphat I don't want no scrub

A scrub is a guy who ain't gettin no love from me

Hangin on the passenger side of his best friends ride

tryna holla at me

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Apologies Ryker.

Use notepad ! :3

Also I just fed like hell as Zyra bot in a random normal draft pick. Can't believe people trollin this hard

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Top lane, but abridged this time because **** typing it again.

You are MUCH more isolated in top lane. You will have much less of an effect on the rest of the lanes, making it much more difficult to prevent them from throwing. However, this is not an excuse to sit in top all day and farm.

Your job in lane at top is not to hard carry your team unless their top and jungler just decide you need to ascend into Godhood(it's possible to play for it, but your success rate will be MUCH lower). Your job in top lane is to win that lane because winning that lane can be done much more decisively than any other lane. Winning doesn't mean killing the opponent, it means crushing them in CS. Not by just out last hitting them (also important), but by winning the harrass war. You want to win the small exchanges, force them back, force them away from the creeps, and last hit. You should win by at least a 50 CS differential (AT LEAST!). To accomplish this, you will ward to keep yourself safe from their jungler and you will back the **** off when you see him coming. You are an island, so make sure you know when it's coming because you can count on absolutely no help at all. Keep river and tri warded and watch the opponent's behavior to see if they are baiting for a lane gank.

Now, being so far away, it will be hard for you to affect the rest of the map, but you will not sit with your thumb up your *** if action is happening. If there's going to be a dragon play, be there. This doesn't mean go when they get a free dragon, but go when you want to make a play for dragon or if your team is forced to fight when they make a play for dragon. When a fight breaks out in river because someone on either team got caught, there is absolutelty no excuse for it to be a 4v4 when you could make it a 5v4. When their top leaves, don't just stand there and call mia. You have it warded, so you know where he's going. Follow him and be a part. After you take the tower, you have no business top lane. You could continue farming and pressuring the second tower with good ward coverage, but why the **** would you do that if you don't trust your team and could, instead, press your advantage by going back and then heading in to lane gank bottom and take the tower or walk into mid and kill their AP.

On a final note, top lanes are much more suscpetible to counterpicks. If you have first pick, you probably have no business going top. If, for whatever reason, you end up needing to go top and have to choose before the opponent, pick someone safe.

Teemo, Kennen, Vlad, Yorik, Rumble. That's what you want.

Do not pick someone who is melee ranged except MAYBE Riven. It's too easy to get **** on unless you know their character. The match up may not be auto lose, but you're sub 1300 for a reason, so just trust me on it. And for God's sake, do not pick anyone who loses to Teemo (read: a lot of melee characters). He's too popular, too safe, and too good at pressing an advantage. Your jungler will be dumb and unable to help you, take it as a given. If you somehow ended up in this ****ty, ****TY position, then pink his river. It will open him up to ganks somewhat, and the player probably will not know how to deal with it. Even if you're successful, don't try and fight him unless you are crushingly ahead. Blind is stupidly strong and you WILL respect it or regret it.

Top is not my strong suit, but I maintain that it is not the place to be to carry games until you get to a higher ELO bracket. I'd love some better players to add to this, but I don't want to hear your sub 1000 stories of carrying super ****ing hard as Singed, Tryn, or Darius in a supposedly bad match up because I'll bet good money that your match history is reflective of it not working at least as often.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Im at 1100 ELO atm and the only character I do well with 100 percent of the time is Soraka support.

What can I do to carry better in solo queue? My friends won't duo with me because they hate ranked.
Get more kills than the other carry

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
so apparently I have a 100% yorick winrate in ranked. Only 6 games but, it's a fairly large percentage given that I haven't played that much ranked.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah, that's true, but you don't get to farm your Q nearly as well, and you don't get to build **** mode as quickly as you would at top. For this reason, I've never been afraid of an enemy Nasus jungle.
His jungle clearing is actually deceptively fast, just unsuited to getting syphon stacks. Maxing out spirit fire will make you one of the fastest creep clearers, and you'll get like one or two syphon procs per camp probably. Because of the former though, you're getting gp5 items fairly quickly (slightly less than skarner/udyr speed for those). After the longest time of using him though, Nasus' level 16+ bases and whatnot are quite good, just getting there will allow him to be useful (whether its massacring baron/dragons or just withering because no carry ever buy mercs). Strong in jungler confrontations because of wither and spirit fire high base damage + armor reduction (withering people doing jungle camps and spirit firing them is so dirty you have no idea)

Player-3

Smash Hero
well i usually like to run ap quints so that you do more damage with fire, flat cdr reds so that you have lower cd cleaver and ult, with hp regen yellows and blues so that you can heal more and not die it usually works pretty well i jungle with smite and heal so that i don't die to invades or something

o wait u said masteries lol i run 9/0/21 with maximum cdr movespeed and bankper5 for mo money mo *****es

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2487119

Ferocity is a new type of resource. Could you explain how Ferocity works?

Classick: Rengar builds up a point of Ferocity each time he lands an ability on a champion or minion, up to five points. When you hit five Ferocity points, Rengar’s abilities come off cooldown and you get to make the choice of which empowered ability you want to use. We wanted to make it so you never felt like you were wasting your empowered ability – it’s kind of like you get a new set of three empowered spells to use. This was a very important piece of the kit.
sounds incredibly faceroll OP

has anyone here played him and can confirm this?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Asdioh, about 4 posts up is a video of Rengar oneshotting (Technically 3) at level 1.
I've already seen that, and assumed it would be (marginally) fixed, but his kit in general just sounds good. Combined with the fact that his resource bar isn't a resource bar at all, but basically "every 6th spell becomes OP, oh and they all get refreshed at that point too"

Top Bottom