• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hardest character To Master

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
So who do you think is the hardest character to master, obviously no one person can decide (unless they've mastered all 35 characters)

The most posted one will be posted here: Ice climbers, Pokemon trainer, Olimar, Captain Falcon

Most posted: Olimar & Ice climbers

Writer's note: How many people who said Pokemon Trainer actually USE Pokemon Trainer, I mean seriously I fought a guy who was great with Pokemon Trainer, and was best with charizard, note with squirte and bulbasaur he only used a few attacks then switched to charizard.

Also:

Olimar? Yarite, just look for the B and grab buttons on your controller. As long as you know where your C-stick is, you'll be fine.

I'd definitely say Diddy Kong is hard to master. You've gotta be CRAZY with those bananas. If you've ever watched a good Diddy play, it takes a serious amount of effort and timing.
Excuse me, I said hardest charter to master, spamming is not mastering a character, Sir.

I feared this, some people are just posting their mains and going by the tiers, regardless I must post the updates.:)

Note: link wasn't posted enough but he is a hard character to master, and fully use all of his moves, rather than just a few of them.

Personally I think it's Olimar, because you have to get used to the random Pikmin for those who have done target smash level 3 with Olimar under 20 Seconds, you get what I mean.

I Halo I

Smash Rookie
olimar maybe, i think pokemon trainer because of the amount of training for different matchups between so many characters and what pokemon to use against them

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Olimar relies simply on micro managing pikmin which spawn on a RNG. It's taxing to the mind, but it doesn't require mastery of the character. Whistle armoring, maybe.

The hardest to master? Probably IC's. Chaingrabs might be easy enough to pull off in practice mode, but to consecutively alternate throws requires calm, concentrated knowledge of your character.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon trainer easy since you need to master 3 different chars to truly master him.

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
i dont know about olimar, because jiggs is extremely hard to master. Ragnarok17 has a decent jiggs cuz he spent a long time getting rest the right timhng and he can trap you in his jiggs punch(→B) for a while.
Mostly Jigg's Rest precision thing is hard to master, but its aerial game is very easy to use.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers?

Seriously, there's a thread that's almost identical to this (in purpose) in Tactical Discussion.

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
Olimar?
You don't need to pay attention what pikmin is coming up next, and he is really comfortable to use with the C-stick. I would say he's one of the easier ones to master, since he's got decent moves. (projectile, smashes, etc.. just a crummy recovery)

Have you ever seen a crazy Diddy Kong player, juggling those bananas left and right? THAT, I would say, is hard to master. Another character hard to master would be Ike. He's easy for beginners, but for serious game play, Ike is commonly getting stuffed.

Ahh yes, and Pkmn Trainer.

There you go: Diddy, Ike, PT

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Ness has a crazy steep learning curve. Or so I've been told...

Probably becuase of how unique his recovery is, and the fact that his second jump is so odd. He just takes some getting used to.

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon Trainer. I mean come on. This trainer looks like a total scrub compared to Ash and Ash is one of the closest people to becoming a true Pokemon master.

Serious answer: Captain Falcon, simply because he is considered the worst character in Brawl.

Zerosyko

Smash Cadet
I agree with Olimar, I tried hima bit and couldn't imagine learning everything about him. I see how the randomness could mess you up, too.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
It seems this thread has been injected with 'teh stupid'.
Olimar is not hard to master at all lol.
IC's, PT, Sonic, that's all I can think of.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Olimar is not hard to master at all lol.
If your foe find a way to kill his Pikmin and edgegard him the whole match then it would be a pain to fight with him, and if you stay on Olimar all match then it would be hard for him to make more Pikmin. Did I mention that people can edgegard you easily when you pick Olimar?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Yoshi, IC's, Link and Ganondorf should be way up there.
Well Ganondorf ehhh not really, but he has to be played with intelligence.
Yoshi's maximum performance requires tech skill and crap that some people just do not have (me).

Link, Bomb techs, AC (not that hard), Gettin the max out of your recovery, blah blah, Link has to kinda work hard, and Getting into him and just kicking *** is hard ( I tried T_T).

IC's are messed up, I'm not talking about them grabbing and alternate grabbing and whatever, just their basic feel....is kinda wonky.

Marios My Bro

Smash Apprentice
Hardest character to master in my opinion is ice climbers just for the sake of their strenghth and weeknesses. Ive always had a hard time winning with them

JST

Smash Apprentice
The comment about Dojo is correct. MK is very difficult to make him appear as unstoppable as many people make him out to be. It's even harder to do so without being reckless. While it's very easy to pick up Meta Knight... Mastering him is something else.

Lucario, Ice Climbers, and Diddy Kong are also fairly difficult to use effectively.

Commander Blizzard

Smash Apprentice
Definatly Olimar. I tried playing as him but I lose easily. If you know how to use him, I've heard he's really good.( And I have seen some really good Olimar users.) I also think Ganondorf is hard to master. He's slow and his attacks are just as slow. Its probably just me.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Pokemon Trainer, Lucas, Olimar, Ice Climbers, Snake, Ness, Sonic.
...Lucas? Snake? Ness? What the hell are you on? Snake's not hard to master compared to the rest of the cast. Lucas DEFINITELY isn't, and there's no way in hell Ness would even be in the top 10. There's a difference between "learning curve" and "crappy."
If your foe find a way to kill his Pikmin and edgegard him the whole match then it would be a pain to fight with him, and if you stay on Olimar all match then it would be hard for him to make more Pikmin. Did I mention that people can edgegard you easily when you pick Olimar?
Pikmin can't be killed when Olimar is in control. The absolute only way for them to die is if he whiffs a smash or SideB and stupidly uses ALL SIX PIKMIN AT ONCE. Olimar's recovery issues are overhyped for the most part. With WAC, and his floaty nature, he shouldn't be gimped nearly as often as people says at %s that matter (below 100%). Also, if you stay on Olimar all match, that's just asking to get grab combo'd, or killed off a grab. Oh, and he only needs one second to pull out ALL SIX PIKMIN, and he can cancel the pluck into an attack if he feels like it. Stop making it sound like Olimar has to deal with all this pressure.

MK.
He may be easy to learn, but after watching Dojo play... I'd say we still have a really long way before mastering him.
Anyone can "master" Meta Knight. He's easy as hell to learn to use effectively, if not THE absolute easiest. Dojo is just a good player. It's like saying that since you can't ever get to Azen's skill level with Lucario that he's the hardest character to master.
Lucario, Ice Climbers, and Diddy Kong are also fairly difficult to use effectively.
Lucario wtf? Diddy might be up there.

Sonic isn't hard to master at all. He's just a crap character.

Pokemon Trainer isn't hard, either. All you're doing is learning a main and two secondaries. You should be doing this anyways.

Anyways, here's a shocker: Pikachu. Pikachu should almost definitely be up there in the top 3 at least due to the sheer monstrocity that is using QAC effectively and to its fullest potential.

The top 3 are probably Ice Climbers, Pikachu, and someone else yet to be named. Probably Diddy, though.

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
I really don't feel PT is that hard of a character to learn well. Even if your trying to memorize his matchups, it's basically very simple. PT is more of a strategy based character, just like Snake. If anything, IC's deserve their spot in the top 3, alongside Yoshi and Sheik? I can only say from my experience that PT is not very hard to learn, and from what fellow clan members say, IC's are a pain to execute cg's with perfect.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I would also like to mention that Wolf isn't an easy character, especially his recovery.

Syran

Smash Rookie
I found even attempting to master Snake was annoying. I just can't get used to the jerky explosions.
G&W was annoying too. But I can't say there's a single character that's teh hardest to master.
Even Jigglypuff was easier to master because of her air game excellence.

Zenthewanderer

Smash Apprentice
I can see why Olimar and PT have been said so many times. These two are among my favorite characters, but I have trouble maining them- it takes a good bit of effort to properly utilize them. Their unique, exclusive styls make them that much more difficult to master. And Olimar's recovery issues hold me back quite a bit. ^^"

Other than the obvious two... For me? I'd say ROB- but you'll probably disagree. That guy is a challenge for me to pick up.

But what I seem to hear most often is Sonic. Playing as him is natural for me, but I hear a lot of complaining about him. Seriously. Why are there peopling sprinting off stages as him and dying? Oo" Its absurd that I hear this from some people that explain their experiences with him... But, what do I know?
-shrug-

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
def. not oli.......sorry. just tap ur c -stick and grab. game over.
def. not wolf....sorry. just tap ur c -stick and spam b. game over.

lol.

Its really hard to say. If being hard to master means taking the most skill to play at a competitive level, its almost an inverse tier list....with exceptions like ice climbers.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Greenstreet, you silly, change the title on your matchup thread.

Anyway, it's not a "who's the hardest to win with" as it is "who's the hardest to learn all the intricacies of and use effectively?"

Someone made a silly "difficulty level" comparison ranking a long time ago for 'scrub' and 'competitive' level play, and Olimar/Wolf were rated like 1-2 for scrub play (spam c-stick+ special) and something higher for competitive play.

Also, just because you (in general) suck with a character doesn't necessarily make it hard to master lol.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I don't know.

Jiggz is rather difficult (in a game where sword and disjointed hitboxes run rampant, you must use however much range you have to it's maximum, not to mention retreat if utterly necessary).
But, with seeing the 'combo' video, I've concluded that simply following up certain aerials with others and ending with a rest is just as easy as Falco chainspike.
But, if you miss with any aerials, and actually have to play it out, Jiggz can be rather useless.
With so many heavy and strong characters, it's hard KOing as the lightest and one of the weakest characters (how the HECK is Jiggz lighter than a 2-D man?).

Top Bottom