• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hardest character To Master

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
when it comes to learning ALL of the intracacies of a character and put them to use effectively.

pit

90% of the people who have been maining him since release still cant get his arrow tricks and wing tricks down pat enough to put them to use in an effective manner.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Wow, lots of people say Olimar. Can't you just be like Zelda and spam smashes and still be half-decent.

Has anyone mentioned Lucario? Took me a while to get used to him. IMO.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Sonic, Sonic is the most diverse character and probably can do as many playstyles as those maining him.

Seriously, I've played 4 good sonics and not one of them have remotely the same playstyle, that means there is a TON to learn about Sonic.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
why Olimar?, though I've never played as him so IDK, at my best guess would have to be jiggz Rest timing which i've struggled ever since Melee, and is one of the reason idon't intend on ever playing as him?/her.

Denzi

Smash Master
Writer's note: how many people who said Pokemon Trainer actually USE Pokemon Trainer, I mean seriously I fought a guy who was great with Pokemon Trainer, and was best with charizard, note with squirte and bulbasaur he only used a few attacks then switched to charizard
Note: link wasn't posted enough but he is a hard character to makster, and fully use all of his moves, rather than just a few of them.
Just because someone is good with that charachter doesn't make it an easy character to master(unless that someone is a five-year-old, lol). And I'm pretty sure that's a poor way to use PT anyways.

In my opinion, Tlink is harder to master than Link. He has Bair chains, SHDA, Bomb techs,
and his sike/spike setups.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
isnt this the same as "who has the largest learning curve" ? and i think its
sonic - so freakin fast weak moves
PT - 3 chars in one
IC's - desynching, infinite chaingrabs, ect

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
PT, Olimar, IC's infinites and I think perfectly cancelling falcos lasers (low enough) into attacks takes some skills

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
I would agree that Olimar is a bit difficult to learn.... it has taken me a while (Olimar main). To those who say you don't need to pay attention to the pikmin... what malarchy. You could really get in trouble if you try to use a white pikmin to smash. Blue are the best for throws. If one masters how they use the pikmin, then they've got it down. Otherwise, it's not exactly using the character to its full potential.

I would have to say Zero Suit Samus for me, though. I can match almost anyone else with any other character, but have me play ZSamus and it's like watching a blind person paint a coherent picture.

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
Brinboy789's list is good, but I'd add Jiggs. Rollout & Rest are impossible to use properly in proper fightng.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I didn't think this thread said who is the hardest chracter to win with who ever said Jigglypuff and Captian Falcon. :p

M@v

Subarashii!
in order imo.

1.captain falcon(just because he sucks so bad)
2.Ice Climbers(payoff is HUGE though)
3. Olimar(knowing when to use which pikmen when)
4.Link(for the fact of dealing with his horrible recovery)
5.Fox(high learning curve, easy to become one dimensional with if your not careful)

smasher?o.0

Smash Journeyman
im going with either sonic (because have to master combos)
king dedede (he sux if u dont kno how to make attacks come quik)
and olimar (i have no reason cept for ive only seen 1 person good with olimar... kinda)

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
Personally, R.O.B. is the character I find hard to use. Also Pokemon Trainer because mastering 3 characters to the full potential could take some time. The rest of the roster is IMHO pretty easy to master.

Davy Jones

Smash Ace
Why do ppl say Olimar is hard to master? Indeed, atacks deal diferent damage/ kb, but they're all fast and strong. Olimar has no weak/useless atacks. His recovery is good and if there is a stage with no edges you can get only one pikmin. If u'l get a pink one, u'l blast all ppl around. The projectile is diferent too, and sacrifices pikmin. But this doesn't make him hard to main. The hardest to main is, well was Mewtwo. Awesome and hard.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to go with a unique respone of IC because I can't stand playing as them. Any other character is fine... olimar sure, but IC just, seperating from nana, cgs, uh recovery, I dunno they just seem like they have a lot of potential... that I don't care to master. The fact they are frustrating and I hate playing as them makes me say they are the hardest to master.

Wolf54316

Smash Rookie
I say Pokemon Trainers easy to master. But Olimar and Ice Climbers are really hard!

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Pokemon Trainer. I mean come on. This trainer looks like a total scrub compared to Ash and Ash is one of the closest people to becoming a true Pokemon master.
I'm guessing you've never played the pokemon games.

Red>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"infinite > after">>>>ash

-:bowser:Bowser King

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
isnt this the same as "who has the largest learning curve" ? and i think its
sonic - Large amount of options yet restricted. Plus using the AT's in a constructive mannor.
PT - 3 chars in one
IC's - desynching, infinite chaingrabs, ect
I fixed it for you.

Chaos F-15

Smash Apprentice
On my last tourney yesterday, i seen not 1 but 2 ridiculous Olimar players. They were crazy.
Onto the thread:
ICs, very tricky to use those chaingrabs

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Ganondorf?

The difference to me is Ganondorf has some Slow clunky moves. I think that utilizing Ganondorf goes to more than just moves, when pretty much every character in the game just prances around you, you have to go deeper....Well thats just what I think.

With IC's the tech and stuff are hard to master, but even when you do that your already a demon.
With Ganondorf if you go against a Pro IC...just knowing stuff doesn't help, so I think ...actually nvm.....

Ice Climbers.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Ice climbers, they have to figure out which chain grabs work on which characters, when to USE the chaingrabs, and how to use them, and theres an even more advanced technique of chain grabs from the iceclimbers, that hylian is pro at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BioGaB4G2gk

Jigglypoof

Smash Cadet
I personally think it's Mario. There's a lot to learn with him in this game, and it's not easy to master.

Olimar is a relatively easy to learn character, the randomness of the Pikmin really isn't a big deal at all, considering it doesn't effect any of his attacks except the Side+B attack, which isn't used that much. He's relatively easy to camp with, and he becomes very fond of c-stick smashing and following up with aerials. I'd say the only hard thing about him is his horrible recovery.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I personally think it's Mario. There's a lot to learn with him in this game, and it's not easy to master.

Olimar is a relatively easy to learn character, the randomness of the Pikmin really isn't a big deal at all, considering it doesn't effect any of his attacks except the Side+B attack, which isn't used that much. He's relatively easy to camp with, and he becomes very fond of c-stick smashing and following up with aerials. I'd say the only hard thing about him is his horrible recovery.
I think you're missing something, the type of pikmin in his line DO matter, All of his attacks are based around which pikmin are used, some are better for spiking (reds) some are better for dealing damage (yellows/whites when latched), some are better for grabbing (blues/purples) some have better knockback (blues/purples), some are better for arials (reds/yellows) and some are better for pikmin chain (purples/whites), his pikmin line is a big part of his play. And you have to figure out how to use them and how to deal with what pikmin you have.

holysnap

Smash Cadet
Yoshi most likely has the highest learning curve out of all the characters, I mean in order to master him you have to master the Draconic Reverse, I think it's probably the hardest tech in the game, not to mention how straining it is to use it during a real match. Not only this but Yoshi you have to be constantly careful due to his recovery, and a lot of his KO's are because of spikes you have to determine whether to risk SDing to get a kill in.
You have to completely master working egg throwing into your game, and he definately has some of the highest ranking techniques in terms of difficulty, you must also rely heavily on mind games to compete competitively. I have complete respect for anyone who manages to master Yoshi.

Zida

Smash Rookie
Personally, I main Olimar, but he didn't quite come as quickly as any of my other good characters. I was able to pick up Falco and within a day be chain-grabbing and spiking like madness. I was able to pick up Marth and do well as him as well within just a few hours. When the game first came out, I was using Ike, but decided that I wanted to master someone rediculous. I tried out all of the characters and found that the one with the most 'different' playstyle was Olimar. I began training, but it took me forever to learn that his grabs are supreme openers. You have to at least watch your pikmin trail and make sure that your next move isn't a smash attack with a white or an aerial with a blue (though this one isn't quite as bad). I had no uber-guide to learn him. I pretty much learned it on my own. It was worth the training though. Now I rock people with him and usually in tournaments, they have no idea what to do against an Olimar.

KillaFrmNY

Smash Ace
Olimar isnt hard to master. This game is based around camping and spamming, which if you play olimar, thats basically his dam stlye. Grab and smash is all you have to do with him.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
I also agree Olimar is hard to master because of the random pikmin plus when your near fire every pikmin dies expect the red one same the thing for the water only the blue pikmin.

Top Bottom