• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Harry Potter And the Deathly Mafia - Peeves/Mafia WIN!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Who said that Superstar and marshy went in as a group?
Nobody said that they went as a group, although you are the one who brought up 'going somewhere as a group.'

It was probably a good thing that nobody went to the Chamber. It was probably booby trapped. I think we should go to some places like the Chamber as a group. We should have somebody who's skilled at removing traps and somebody who can speak Parseltongue(or whatever that snake language is called)
I think you are confusing this game with the one called Escape. As far as I know, even if we go to X location and someone else goes to X location, we would not be working as a group but as parallel individuals.
No. M3D said that there are traps in this game in certain locations. Chances are with a place like the Chamber of Secrets, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a trap or two hidden there.
You implied that we should go places as a group because it would be safer that way. I responded by saying that I think if two people went to a trapped area, they would both get trapped, which is even worse than one person getting trapped.

As for people going into a trapped area, if a person has a spell capable of defeating said trap then he'll be there ready to save a fellow teammate. One of us here must have some sort of anti-booby trap spell.
I can't retort to whether or not someone would be able to go through a trapped area simply because they can cast a spell, because I don't know if that's right or not, but I doubt it.

If anyone does have a spell that can disarm traps, in my opinion they are a valued player and should keep it to themselves or else they could get night-killed for it.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Eh, you ninja'd me saying 'ignore this' and I responded to it. I guess disregard.

Omis

my friends were skinny
What places would seem like good ones to investigate?
Things like dorms seem like they would have already been explored due to not many people not wanting to go anywhere that could be too dangerous.
Do you think that people could work in groups by all going to the same place?
If so, we definitely need 3+ people investigating the DA room.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Where does this idea of exploring places together as a group come from!?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
i think the cons outweigh the pros for no lynch d1. the conversations had toDay will be more useful tomorrow when we know what alignment the lynched player was and what other players said prior to his lynch which is something everybody can work with. the only reliable evidence we'd have next Day is night actions which'd probly be better off kept hidden and the dead players which is inevitable. a lot of that depends on how big an impact any artifacts and spells used will have on discussion though.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
also how important is it to suggest where people should go to at Night at this point? i think it's okay as long as it doesn't dominate discussion

Omis

my friends were skinny
also how important is it to suggest where people should go to at Night at this point? i think it's okay as long as it doesn't dominate discussion
It is definitely very important.
As a town, we need to organize and decide what rooms are and are not of interest. You simply report back your findings and that gives the town more information to work off of.
Would it be a good idea for everyone to post where they were at night?

Ronike

Smash Ace
Mmm... I dunno. A mafia member could do quite a number of things to sabotage the room claiming. If they went to a room and found something important, they could easily say they found nothing/traps. Likewise, say the Godfather goes to somewhere with a lot of traps, but being a Godfather has immunity to these. They tell us it had good info, a number of us go off to die/be incapacitated. So I dunno if its a good idea right now.

However, it could be a good idea in the long run, should we go in groups. This eliminates the possibility of lieing about discoveries as you would have to have someone back you up, which is nigh impossible to create should the groups be decided upon by the town.

So yeah, my thoughts for the moment.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
well wait you said to report findings but there should def be some secrecy kept as to what people find because it might come in handy later but'll be pointless if you reveal it. players run the risk of drawing attention to themselves so i think letting everybody know what they found is up to them knowing when the right time to do so is and we shouldn't necessarily be suspicious of another player if they keep quiet about it.

however for your question i'm really not sure. that seems like something that'd be more useful to reveal later on when we have a better grasp as to what to make of the Night adventures

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
that last post was directed at omis.

btw what did you mean by picking just two people to go to one room? like why just two? i'm not sure if it's better to make small groups (as in 9-13 players should be randomized and others shouldn't) or have every player decided by randomizer if we were to go through with it.

also ronike m3d said that none of the traps can kill you though i agree that trying to eliminate possibilities for indy/mafia to lie by sending people in groups is an idea worth thinking about.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Oh, that is true Marshy, I took the whole "No Lethal N0" thing the wrong way. W/es. Still, say a mafia stumbled upon a roleblocking room. They tell us its, for example, a Room of Requirements of sorts and that they got a spell. A group decides to go and we may have just lost some power roles. I dunno, not entirely likely I guess, but its something to consider.

Plus, if we go in a group, we run down the chance of having a huge number of inconviniences perhaps. I would imagine not all traps would work on everyone who went to a room, but I dunno... Just some thoughts.

Omis

my friends were skinny
that last post was directed at omis.

btw what did you mean by picking just two people to go to one room? like why just two? i'm not sure if it's better to make small groups (as in 9-13 players should be randomized and others shouldn't) or have every player decided by randomizer if we were to go through with it.

also ronike m3d said that none of the traps can kill you though i agree that trying to eliminate possibilities for indy/mafia to lie by sending people in groups is an idea worth thinking about.
I thought 2-3 man groups would be better in case something turns out to be a trap.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Something else to think about:

While the town wanders aimlessly about, the mafia is gaining information about every room, 3-4 at a times, while we are kept in the dark 1 room at a time. It would prolly be advantageous to out what rooms we went to, so we know where we have been, and where has yet to be gone. And again, by going in goups, we keep the mafia from gaining extra information that the town lacks.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Only problem with that is Mafia can lie about where they have been, consequently lying about what they have found. For example, they could say they went to room x and found nothing, so we just don't go back there. When in fact there might be something useful there, but he cant get to it, so another mafia member that CAN get passed whatever trap is there goes there.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Where does this idea of exploring places together as a group come from!?
This still totally stands! I don't see any good reason why people should move together at night.

As a town, we need to organize and decide what rooms are and are not of interest.
No we don't!

You simply report back your findings and that gives the town more information to work off of.

Would it be a good idea for everyone to post where they were at night?
If you feel like posting where you were last night, then go for it. But I dont see any real reason why, nor do I see any reason to make it a pseudo town requirement to report back your findings for where you went.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
I completely agree with Tom. There is no reason to go to the rooms in groups. We can cover more ground if we travel together. The traps won't kill us, M3D stated that in his OP. If you feel compelled to say what you found by all means go for it but if you found something that you wont use tonight and you announce it you'll probably be night killed.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Also, I bet someone has or is going to get the Marauder's Map! :3

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
They get it taken away though...plus they claim they don't need it because they know the important ones.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
So I do not see any reason why we would go to room together. This is not an adventure game.

Also the only reason a no-lynch may be acceptable is because it allows us more time to check other rooms and we may get information from the rooms would that help us in discussion and would not leave us with nothing to go on d2.. However that goes both ways, Mafia is also able to gain info/powers that will help them as well. I still think the cons outweighs the pros as in a normal mafia game, but I can see how it can be considered here.

Smash Master
I think one of the benefits of travelling in groups of two or three is that we can report the findings of a particular room and know that other people's accounts are likely accurate. If we travel alone, then a maf could more easily lie about the contents of a room.

Would a nameclaim be beneficial D1? Are there enough people in Harry Potter to make the mafia's claims easy or no?

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would say in this game a d1 name claim is a bad idea. It didn't end up working too well in dinomafia, and there are a LOT of obscure hp characters that could be claimed. As for saying where we were at night, if it gave any information that could help us I think we should say. What does everyone think about posting if you get potentially useful info?(Maybe even not saying exactly where so mafia can't try to sabotage it)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Hmm. That's almost fine with me, Mentosman.

Last night I didn't find any items, but through exploring a certain area, I was given the option to keep going tomorrow night. And I plan to, even though it says that continuing may prove "dangerous."

---

@Numbers:

While it would be nice to be able to make sure that everyone is telling the truth about what they find, I think it would be worse to limit all the rooms we can investigate and also worse to directly tell the mafia who is going to be where during what night.

If someone lies about what they find in a room, and then someone else finds something drastically different in said room, then we have a contradiction. Mafia are always taking a chance when they lie about something. So what you see as a door closing, I see as one opening.

I disagree with a nameclaim. To begin, there are some characters in this game that are going to be more important for town than others, and we do not want to highlight them before we give them ample time to put their powers to good use. Also, there are so many characters that mafia could safely claim. The Harry Potter universe is extremely thorough, and while there are a certain number of characters who *should* be in this game, there are piles upon piles of characters who *could* be in this game. Also, there could always be a flop character in the game that is designed strictly to punish the players for following the flavor instead of scum-hunting; an important character who is Harry-aligned in the books but mafia aligned in the game is a possibility that would throw a wrench in working off of a nameclaim.

---

But, we don't lose anything by remembering what we're looking for. The flavor says that the mafia are the Death Eaters. I would expect the mafia to include He Who Must Not Be Named, Bellatrix Lestrange, Lucius Malfoy, and Peter Pettigrew. Another could be Antonin Dolohov. I don't know what to think about Severus Snape. No matter what he is in the books, he is most definitely designed as a risky claim in this game.

I somewhat expect He Who Must Not Be Named to be protected by Horcruxes, which could be items that need to be found and destroyed or could be simply a bulletproof power of his.

Quirinus Quirrell was loyal to He Who Must Not Be Named, but he was not a Death Eater.

I would entertain the idea of Draco Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle being involved with the mafia somehow. Draco was a death eater, while Crabbe and Goyle were just sympathizers.

Note how I am only talking about name who are likely to be mafia-aligned or mafia-related. It will do us no good to talk openly about what roles or powers the good players could have, because we do not want to disprove theories pertaining to good guys and make the game easier for the mafia. However, I will mention something about a probably town-aligned name because it could help:

If someone finds a piece of clothing, it is my belief that they should claim to have found it. A player who claims to be a Dobby the House Elf could, if necessary to help the town, ask for it. If Dobby doesn't need it (ie: nothing in their role PM is mentioned about the opportunity to become 'free'), then Dobby doesn't need to ask for it. But it would be nice for any player who finds a piece of clothing to speak up just in case it could power-up a townie.

I hold the opinion that, when you accuse someone in this game, you should be thorough in your phrasing. This comes from my knowledge of M3D and of SWF mafia games, and will most likely not prove helpful, but if there is the chance it will then I will be doing it. When accusing someone, you should directly accuse them of being mafia and you should directly accuse them of being a Death Eater. I know that in my votes, I will do just that. It may empower other players or provide them opportunities with their role actions.

It should also be made common knowledge that some of the traps around Hogwarts that you may encounter during the night are creatures. Various animals, I'm sure. Before going somewhere, I would recommend that you go to the Harry Potter Wikia and research it... unless you want to simply go somewhere without prior knowledge to get a game-perspective and not a novel-perspective.

There are various items that could be in this game that I am very excited about. If I were illiterate when it comes to Witchcraft and Wizardry, I would be sure to check out the Wikia for some of the items you might run into.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I would also like to take this time to go through what some see as "common knowledge," but it is important to make sure that it is known.

You should state so openly if you disagree, but it is common practice for town-aligned vigilantes with multiple kills to refrain from killing someone Night 1. This is partly because the numbers are greatly skewed towards town on town fire, but also because it allows us to determine whether a second (or even third) death, outside of the expected mafia nightkill, was made by a town-aligned vigilante or a serial killer. Serial killers most commonly have to kill each and every night, a role restriction from which the differentiation comes.

We have 1.5 weeks per day phase. It is common practice, and GOOD practice, to be paced on voting and lynching so that if we are to lynch via deadline, we give the main suspect(s) at LEAST twenty four hours (a whole real life day) to name or role claim in attempts to clear themselves. I would recommend more time than that, preferably two real life days or 48 hours.

It would be wise for us to not go the "easy way out" in our lynches. The mafia are often planting seeds for lynches days in advance, and relying on "oh, town will want to lynch x player so we can just nightkill xx player." Therefore, while you are still normally applying pressure to those you find suspicious, while you are still asking questions and keeping up with discussion, while you are still playing normally, please note that you may need to look for what the mafia would want to be doing, not only what they would be known to be caught doing.

I am going to demand that everyone be active. I know that the game only started yesterday, but if a player has not posted more than a joke vote or an "im here" 24 hours from now, I'm actually going to send M3D a request that they be replaced. We have enough replacements to literally demand activity from everyone.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
And as I hit 'submit reply,' more thoughts come.

If you receive an alert from the moderator, either during the day or during the night, that an object was stolen from you, it might be beneficial to make that information known publically. A new role that I see settling right down into SWF metagame is an Item Collector, who is an independent who needs to get a certain thing, or number of things, from other players. This could be something that you picked up during the night, like a magical item, or it could be something you cannot use or did not even know that you had.

If you receive an alert form the moderator about another player, almost randomly, you may also want to make that known. When players who have restrictions fail to comply with them, M3D may punish them by releasing information about them to a player chosen by either posting proximity or random number generator.

I encourage you to use your best judgment when deciding whether or not to release information, but you should always remember that the town greatly outnumber the mafia, most likely in greater than a 3:1 fashion. So information that they could benefit from almost naturally benefits the town more. It also works to unify us, because that is the advantage the mafia have over the town; while we have brute force numbers and several power roles, the mafia have knowledge and unification, apart from their own power roles.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I agree with not coordinating rooms. As said before, mafia can claim they went somewhere else. The only way around this I think would be the whisper function. You have to claim whisper words X people said.

As far as I know, people can not bypass traps or sabotage any info. I can only say "Go to *Room*" and I go there. Then stuff happens. If the trap isn't something small, I doubt multiple people can avoid it just by happening to go to the same room.. If there is an item, then the person gets it and I assume if multiple people go to a room, only one person finds it and the others are unawares. The only thing everyone might get is a spell (and info?).

The only remote benefit I can think of that might be good about traveling in groups is if more town are in a room than mafia, you might have a higher chance to live because you can fight back. And along with that, mafia have to be in a room with others to actually carry out a kill.

I am not betting on that theory though.

Also, name claim today is a horrible idea. Town does not want to fake name claim, and we likely have roles like Potter, Weasleys, Hermoine, and misc. teachers a lot of which could be power roles from the nature of their profession.

Handorin

Smash Hero
DARN IT TOM. I spent time writing my post while getting ready for school and you ninja stuff in.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Tom, I still think we should still be wary and cautious about claiming anything, especially room claiming D1. A mafia with a good knowledge of Harry Potter could very well lie about what they found in any room, make up a role. On top of that, the lie, according to the books, could very well be correct. Some rooms have had more than one important event item pass through them, so it could be pretty easy to make up something they found, or didn't find. And a name claim should be avoided (at least on D1) because the Harry Potter universe is gigantic. I think if anyone finds anything of real use they need to keep it to themselves for now, since they could become the target of a nightkill.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
If you receive an alert from the moderator, either during the day or during the night, that an object was stolen from you, it might be beneficial to make that information known publically.
Where did M3D say **** can be stolen from you? Or are you just speculating. However, I do agree that if the said power exists, that it should be made public so that we know who is doing what. It might not just be an independent, it could be a power given to a Death Eater.

Smash Master
Night zero I found a parchment with parseltongue on it. I took it with me.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Where did M3D say **** can be stolen from you? Or are you just speculating. However, I do agree that if the said power exists, that it should be made public so that we know who is doing what. It might not just be an independent, it could be a power given to a Death Eater.
It's speculation based on the last game that M3D hosted, which is still currently underway and therefore our discussion of it is basically taboo. You'll have to take my word for it, because its in the BRooom. ;)

However, the Batmafia game that I hosted in the BRoom had a thief (albeit town aligned), and, especially with the item and location related gameplay, I wouldn't be surprised if someone could steal items.

I would also like to take this time to remind everyone, all players, that if or when you die in this game, you are STILL NOT allowed to discuss it with anyone. That includes people not playing the game, and especially includes people still involved with it. Its one of the rules of the game, mysteriously applied because of the fact that 'we live in a world of magic, where not even death my be permanent.' So keep your mouths shut, even if you die. I would hate to lose a possibility for an advantage or even worse, see the game called off because someone didn't notice that rule.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
You people and your BRoom and all your crazy schemes :mad:

I think it is completely possible though and I'm glad you brought that out into the open.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, after Tom's mention of his night, I just have a possibly useful bit of info. I'll post when I get home from class(want to double check the pm, which is difficult on my phone), but I found a foe glass in my exploration with a clear/recognizable figure in it. Now, of course in the books the usefulness of these types of items is debated, but it may at least give us something to think about for day 1. Like I said, I'll look into the name and post it up(assuming we agree it could be useful) when I get home.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Wait, you found a foe glass? That thing helps you see your enemies. In the books, it showed "Moody" to see Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Snape. So I think it means you might have seen an enemy.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
To add on, Moody only felt in danger if he could see the whites of his opponents eyes. So it all depends on what you really saw.

Top Bottom