• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HASL: Huntsville Area Smash League - 1st place $300!! Free entry!

*Cam*

Smash Lord
So far, only 7 people have registered to get their brawl singles fee waived. I have the following as registered:

Cam
Ingulit
Janitor
Twinster
Mc-Killa
Spade
Will_

All you really have to give is your brawl tag, what events you are entering, and an e-mail address for registration confirmation.

EDIT: Even if you aren't entering brawl singles, it would be nice if you could go ahead and sign up for melee if you plan on entering that. I don't have an incentive for you though. I mean, I guess I could high five your or something on the day of. Also, there's not really any penalty for signing up and not showing. We know that stuff happens. Only sign up if you are reasonably sure you can go, but at the same time, don't worry about having to be 100% sure.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I signed up. Hopefully I can make this :V Might bring 3 others, depending on their interest.

:phone:

Nana Banana

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to go ahead and sign up and plan on this. :)

Anyone in the Atlanta area who wants to carpool (including splitting gas costs) would be welcome to come with me. I believe one person is coming with me so I'd be able to fit three more. I have bills to pay and such so I would really appreciate the help with gas, and you'd get a cheaper ride than driving yourself. ^_^

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Dont' worry Cam, you can almost guarantee my prereg as we get closer to the date. Last thing I need is a sudden parent cancel from my mom because of the two tournaments I plan on going to before this.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Dont' worry Cam, you can almost guarantee my prereg as we get closer to the date. Last thing I need is a sudden parent cancel from my mom because of the two tournaments I plan on going to before this.
Alright, sounds good as long as you don't forget. I'd hate to have you out $10.

EDIT: Nvm, I see you already registered.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Well, Billy is definitely going, so if he lives near you, then check with him. Maybe Lou will go too? He usually brings a full car with him to whatever tournament he attends.

Nana Banana

Smash Apprentice
True true, I am going with Frozn so there might not be room with Lou for the both of us, I think we could fill up two cars xD

I'm super excited about this. I think I had a dream about it last night. xD it'll be my first out of state road trip that I get to drive in, AND my first out of state Tourney.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
True true, I am going with Frozn so there might not be room with Lou for the both of us, I think we could fill up two cars xD

I'm super excited about this. I think I had a dream about it last night. xD it'll be my first out of state road trip that I get to drive in, AND my first out of state Tourney.
It should be good. We rented out a very large venue (5800 square ft.), so we are hoping to get at least 50+ people to attend. Considering we took away the venue fee and the entry fee to brawl singles, we don't think anyone will have a monetary excuse not to come. Plus we practically doubled what the normal prize money is for first.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about it, but, who is the sponsor, why do they care enough to throw free money at us, and how do we know they're good for it?

*Cam*

Smash Lord
It's sponsored by the UAH Starcraft II club and GamerDoc. The event is technically being hosted by the Starcraft II club because as a UAH club, they get to use the venue for free. The presidents of the club are close friends of mine (and avid brawlers). They care for multiple reasons. First, as I already said, they like Brawl and want to help the Brawl community. Second, they are designing a new software for game communities and they want to use our community as a prototype. Third, they are my friends and they would help me out with this even without reasons 1 and 2. I know they are good for it because they literally already have the money. Right now, getting sponsorship for us would just be a matter of reimbursement to the club.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
so like they are gonna pay us? almost 500 dollars is alot though. like im sure they could just test the software out without actttually having to have live subjects. but yeah, i guess i dont get it either really.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
so like they are gonna pay us? almost 500 dollars is alot though. like im sure they could just test the software out without actttually having to have live subjects. but yeah, i guess i dont get it either really.
They are not just paying us to test software. It's not like they just don't know if their software works or not so this is the only way to check it. They want to change the face of the fighting game community THROUGH this software that they are using. It's not just about creating the software, but implementing it. They wanted to help set up a large brawl tournament to help the Brawl community, and once they talk to other sponsors, they will easily get reimbursed for the money. If it helps the Brawl community, then they will try it with other gaming communities too.

Does this really matter though guys? A large prize pot is set, and there is no entry fee. Don't worry too much about how we're doing it, just get hyped that it is actually happening. We'll be available in the future to help TOs get sponsorship and orchestrate other free tournaments with large prize pools, but until then I'd rather use the thread to hype this up.

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
TEH HYPE. Oh, and I think if everyone PRd shows up to this, or even if not, we should do an epic crew battle!

:phone:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Your expected turn out list
9:30 being deadline
Brawl Singles starting at 3

Odds of having times for crews....not likely

-Chad-

Slackerator
Serious question.

Is there going to be very little melee interest for this? Cause every tournament that's primarily brawl with melee as a pet tourny ends up being disappointing for me because the people running the tournaments don't give a crap about melee. I saw there's already no teams for Melee, if there's going to be very little people entering singles(or even caring that the game is being played) then I'm not sure if it's going to be worth going to for me.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Serious question.

Is there going to be very little melee interest for this? Cause every tournament that's primarily brawl with melee as a pet tourny ends up being disappointing for me because the people running the tournaments don't give a crap about melee. I saw there's already no teams for Melee, if there's going to be very little people entering singles(or even caring that the game is being played) then I'm not sure if it's going to be worth going to for me.
I don't know. If you go, I expect Moogle will go too and maybe some people from his group. Obviously as T.O., I will make sure the Melee tournament gets run properly (so I will care that the matches get played when they are supposed to). I'm not going to lie and say I've been as hyped for the Melee tournament as the Brawl one because I don't really play Melee very much. However, it's looking like there's going to be a good turnout for Brawl, so that usually means more players for Melee, even if it is of secondary importance to them.

I didn't plan on having Melee teams for two reasons: 1) The venue is closing at 10, so I didn't see time for it and 2) Whenever there are Melee teams, there always seems to be little to no interest for them, usually the people playing have to try and convince people to join so they can have any semblance of a bracket. If you can prove me wrong on those two points, then I will happily have Melee teams.

The venue is very spacious, and if the Melee community wants to turn out in large numbers for HASL, I would be ecstatic to have them come. Short of also offering a $300 prize pot for Melee singles, I will do whatever I can to help hype up the Melee tournament too. Seriously, if you have any ideas, then send them my way. I'm not sure what else I can say though. I do care that the Melee singles tournament gets run properly and that the matches for it are being played, so I won't be negligent in my duties as T.O. Also, I will hype it up in whatever way you guys think would help, but I can't guarantee that a lot of Melee players will show up.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Don't forget to mention that if we get a large enough turnout for Melee this time, we'll be able to really focus on it the next HASL since the people sponsoring us will see that there is enough interest. The payouts for future events will depend on the turnout we get for each game, so if you want to see a large Melee tournament (now and in the future), be sure to show up.

Cam, while I'm 99% sure this is how this works, correct me if I'm wrong

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Ingulit has a point. If the Melee turnout is good for the first HASL, then there is a good chance we will have set prize money for Melee next time like we are doing for Brawl singles this time. However, if only a handful of people enter Melee, then there is no chance of us doing that. We don't want like 7 people to enter a tournament for $300. It would not be worth the effort to get that money.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Can we get a melee pre-reg going?

@Cam The issue with melee teams usually stems from not having enough people who want to play melee in the first place. If 10 people want to play melee then that is 5 teams which is not really worth paying to play in.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Can we get a melee pre-reg going?

@Cam The issue with melee teams usually stems from not having enough people who want to play melee in the first place. If 10 people want to play melee then that is 5 teams which is not really worth paying to play in.
You can pre-register for Melee already on the same sign up sheet. You can literally just sign up for Melee and nothing else if that's what you want.

EDIT: I will start a Melee confirmed list on the OP to this page though. Those of you that are planning on participating in Melee, let me know, and I'll add you.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I'd show a little love for Melee guys, even if it does end up having a fee. Though I'd be using Bowser/Pichu because I have the most fun with them.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'm going to go ahead and sign up and plan on this. :)

Anyone in the Atlanta area who wants to carpool (including splitting gas costs) would be welcome to come with me. I believe one person is coming with me so I'd be able to fit three more. I have bills to pay and such so I would really appreciate the help with gas, and you'd get a cheaper ride than driving yourself. ^_^
If I can find some way to make it around the Metro area, I'll contact you. Depends on whether or not Zero is going, but I'll have info on that soon enough. I could help pay for gas, so how much would you need?

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
If I can find some way to make it around the Metro area, I'll contact you. Depends on whether or not Zero is going, but I'll have info on that soon enough. I could help pay for gas, so how much would you need?
I think she said it would probably be around 100 dollars. So if Nana's car fits 5, prob around 20 per person. ~the brightside of this is that there's no venue/entry fee (for singles). I don't want to speak for Rya though, that's just my guess.

Top Bottom