• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
Yay! It just fits awesomely for that kind of thing!

#MostAgreeableBronados.

Edit: For reference to those who haven't heard or don't remember it:

Man, I am already picturing this tune with the 'THE WINNER IS........ SHULK!' :( Shulk please be revealed now!!

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I still like my idea for a Prison Island stage from a few days back.

As far as moveset is concerned, the only issue I'm having is coming up with ideas for all of his custom specials. Before we knew about factors such as alternate specials and Little Mac's power meter, my idea was to have his regular arts serve as specials while his final smash switches them out for his Monado Arts along with giving him some stat buffs for around 15 seconds (or whatever the average time for a transformation final smash such as Giga Bowser or Wario-Man is). Now I'm kind of split on the idea of having his regular arts be represented by his smash attacks with the Monado Arts being his specials, and the idea of his regular arts being specials while having a talent gauge fill up to turn them into Monado Arts when full.

However, you guys, along with seeing Robin's final smash, have sold me on the idea of having the Chain Attack be his final smash (Smash Bros. could always use more Reyn Time).

Now the only problem is thinking up a list of specials to cover all twelve custom specials. After all, Shulk only has eight regular arts and eight Monado Arts, and each character has 3 options for each special move (12 in total). The best way around this I can think of is to take a page from Ness and Lucas's book, and have Shulk borrow some arts and talent arts from his party members. Assuming we're going with the talent gauge idea, maybe borrow Wild Down and Magnum Charge (since I can't really think of how Mad Taunt would work in smash) from Reyn, Gale Slash and Blossom Dance from Dunban, Burninate and Yoink from Riki, and Final Cross and Butterfly Step from 7. (There are probably some better options for arts that he could borrow, but those are the ones that came off the top of my head.)

Last edited:

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
The only thing that seems to get me is how Shulk would enter the stage. The closest thing I could think of is an Eryth Sea teleporter...
Falling down a waterfall of the "generic anime swordsman" haters' tears and safely splash with no fall damage
Flying in on Melia Riki
But yeah, aren't there a couple of different teleporter animations? One of them should work. Though I'd like to be able to see him activating the Monado while he's doing it.

Finkrat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Finkrat3932
I believe there's also the Prison Island and Agniritha teleporters. I think the Eryth Sea/Alcamoth ones are most suited though.

Last edited:

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
I still like my idea for a Prison Island stage from a few days back.

As far as moveset is concerned, the only issue I'm having is coming up with ideas for all of his custom specials. Before we knew about factors such as alternate specials and Little Mac's power meter, my idea was to have his regular arts serve as specials while his final smash switches them out for his Monado Arts along with giving him some stat buffs for around 15 seconds (or whatever the average time for a transformation final smash such as Giga Bowser or Wario-Man is). Now I'm kind of split on the idea of having his regular arts be represented by his smash attacks with the Monado Arts being his specials, and the idea of his regular arts being specials while having a talent gauge fill up to turn them into Monado Arts when full.

However, you guys, along with seeing Robin's final smash, have sold me on the idea of having the Chain Attack be his final smash (Smash Bros. could always use more Reyn Time).

Now the only problem is thinking up a list of specials to cover all twelve custom specials. After all, Shulk only has eight regular arts and eight Monado Arts, and each character has 3 options for each special move (12 in total). The best way around this I can think of is to take a page from Ness and Lucas's book, and have Shulk borrow some arts and talent arts from his party members. Assuming we're going with the talent gauge idea, maybe borrow Wild Down and Magnum Charge (since I can't really think of how Mad Taunt would work in smash) from Reyn, Gale Slash and Blossom Dance from Dunban, Burninate and Yoink from Riki, and Final Cross and Butterfly Step from 7. (There are probably some better options for arts that he could borrow, but those are the ones that came off the top of my head.)
Dunban should definitely be the one he gets other stuff from. Since Monado wielders and whatnot,

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Falling down a waterfall of the "generic anime swordsman" haters' tears and safely splash with no fall damage

I would love that so much if it were possible. And don't forget the tears of the "too many sword-wielders" morons too.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
After seeing Dittson, I have to stop lurking. Otherwise, it would be a crime after the laugh it gave me. But then again, I'm already guilty due to the Juju jokes and Lovenado fanfiction a couple pages back.

Anyways, I guess I should introduce myself. Well, ever since I played and finished Xenoblade all the way through, I became a supporter of Shulk since 2012. The uniqueness of his sword and arts made me come under the impression that he was almost practically MADE to be in Smash Bros and that seeing him would be a dream come true. Despite that, I didn't start lurking around these forums until a few days before the MonadoMonday hype. (Another crime added to the record. :ohwell:)
I know you also received this praise by plenty of others, but I have to say that you are all an amazing group. I could get into detail, but I'll just skip most of this since you've heard this before. Your optimism and creativity was probably the main reason as to why I constantly came back to view this thread. Must admit, I barely see these traits in a fandom anymore, especially in the Smash Bros community.

Anyways, we're talking about stages now, huh? Gotta admit, the Junks idea would be REALLY cool, but it doesn't feel right to leave out any Xenoblade areas, so I will concur with the "there are no bad Xenoblade stages" agreement. Although, if I had to pick one area, it would probably have to be Sword Valley, but that's taking the easy way out. I guess Eryth Sea? I honestly dunno. It hurts my soul to choose only one area to be a stage...
How about a Scrollable Stage that shows all the key important locations that Shulk visited, presented in a Final Destination fashion?

P.S. Welcome to Smash Boards!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
How about a Scrollable Stage that shows all the key important locations that Shulk visited, presented in a Final Destination fashion?

I wouldn't think a scolling stage would work, however one where he floats around different parts of the world Skyloft style would be pretty neat.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So that Riki gif was really hard to make, but I made this instead:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

That's mostly what people are talking about when they mention "Junks" as a stage.

Finkrat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Finkrat3932

I've never thought about it, but I dunno about a scrollable level. The best I see that's closest to that besides Delfino Plaza/Skyloft-esque level would be like a Mushroon Kingdom U sort of thing. Although, I am doubtful on that idea too. Also, thanks for the welcome! :)

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Flying in on Melia Riki
But yeah, aren't there a couple of different teleporter animations? One of them should work. Though I'd like to be able to see him activating the Monado while he's doing it.
That would be too funny, and they will deserve it they shouldn't have count their chickens before they hatched.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Junks in flight. No real spoilers actually, but it is a cut scene from the game.

TTrain

Official Terminator Train
NNID
ThomasTerminator
3DS FC
4613-7026-8628
We need a timeline for this thread since it is so unpredictable, yet so amazing:

Character announcement in a few days --> Hype train for Shulk reveal, Reyn Gifs all of the time --> No Shulk reveal --> Bronados unite --> Hype continues with Xenoblade Miis, Neyn is born --> Xenoblade fan fiction, lovenado?--> Character photoshops takeover, Hades and Juju abuse --> Xenoblade X Pokemon --> Xenoblade X That's So Raven --> What will they think up next!?

I probably forgot a thing or two and some of that may be out of order if someone wants to make a more accurate version.
You forgot the Reynbow :p

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

The other thing about Junks is that it has a built in flat area to fight on, but if you fly from one area to another I could easily see platforms appearing for a limited amount of time. Telethia and/or Mechons would make sense as hazards if they decide to go that route as well.

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Honestly, there is nothing going on, just people waiting out for an August Nintendo Direct.
Just stopped by both Ridley and K. Rool threads. K. Rool has some funny videos of K. Rool singing, but nothing on the level of the sheer amount of gifs, pictures, and other weird stuff you find here and I love it.

Edit: And NOWHERE near as many likes ;)

Last edited:

TTrain

Official Terminator Train
NNID
ThomasTerminator
3DS FC
4613-7026-8628
Just stopped by both Ridley and K. Rool threads. K. Rool has some funny videos of K. Rool singing, but nothing on the level of the sheer amount of gifs, pictures, and other weird stuff you find here and I love it.
Us > The rest of the support threads

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Son, those peeps gotta get on our level.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Ridley's supporters did get a Ridley detractor, but I am not entirely sure if that wasn't just to get the thread moving.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Ridley's supporters did get a Ridley detractor, but I am not entirely sure if that wasn't just to get the thread moving.
The problem I have with the Ridley thread is that it just goes in circles, at least when I used to lurk there. In this thread, we discuss a lot of things: Characters, possible stages, possible movesets, music etc. And when we get bored of that someone is always here with a brand new photoshop to make everyone happy again.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Looks wickedly awesome to fight on, would it be in consistent combat whilst you fight on it?
Depends on how they want to go about it. I would think certain areas would be under attack while others would just reflect what ever goes on in that zone.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you want be an interesting thing for them to do in his trailer, after he's been introduced he has a vision and the vision is the gameplay montage

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Just stopped by the Bandana Dee and Isaac threads. Bandana Dee thread seems fun. They're feeling pretty good about their chances and it's a colorful place to be.

Isaac thread is kind of serious and slightly morose with no gifs/photoshops at all in recent pages. And that makes me feel sad.

Will continue to document my Explornado Chronicles.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just stopped by the Bandana Dee and Isaac threads. Bandana Dee thread seems fun. They're feeling pretty good about their chances and it's a colorful place to be.

Isaac thread is kind of serious and slightly, morose with no gifs/photoshops at all in recent pages. And that makes me feel sad.

We should photo shop images of Isaac and Shulk having fun together and send it to them to cheer them up.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
...I feel like all the other threads are painfully boring now.
I must admit, I have spoiled myself by making this the first thread I visited on the site. The #MonadoMonday hype got me hooked, and now the rest of the forum just doesn't hold a candle.
This thread is the :bomb:.

Off topic, but does anyone here know the story as to why :sasukexumbreon: is on the Smiles list?

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice

The other thing about Junks is that it has a built in flat area to fight on, but if you fly from one area to another I could easily see platforms appearing for a limited amount of time. Telethia and/or Mechons would make sense as hazards if they decide to go that route as well.
Junks stage is best stage!
Maybe 2 variations, one which goes through the landscapes of the Bionis, the other one goes through the landmarks of the Mechonis.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
We should photo shop images of Isaac and Shulk having fun together and send it to them to cheer them up.
That would probably be an easier job for a good artist I would say. Do we have any good artist here who are up for the challenge?

Finkrat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Finkrat3932
Junks stage is best stage!
Maybe 2 variations, one which goes through the landscapes of the Bionis, the other one goes through the landmarks of the Mechonis.
Ooh, I like it! Like the Mushroomy Kingdom stage from Brawl, but Skyloft style!

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
That would probably be an easier job for a good artist I would say. Do we have any good artist here who are up for the challenge?
That's what I was thinking. Maybe someone could find an artist on Tumblr to commission? I would feel bad asking someone to draw that kind of art without compensation. I mean, I've drawn things in the past, but never on that level. I mean, I have nothing better to do, so I could maybe try? For free, obviously. *shrugs*

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
Ooh, I like it! Like the Mushroomy Kingdom stage from Brawl, but Skyloft style!
I think it can be done! The landscapes in Xenoblade is gorgeous as it is! Even with it being in SD and low res textures. The team just needs to tweak it a bit, some HD polish, and they have a great stage!

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
@ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D I saw what you did on the Takamaru thread. Good job dropping that photoshop of the Takamanado! Takamaru thread seems slow moving, but in a pretty good mood. Not on our level still, but they're all cool.

Geno thread is looking up. This pretty much sums them up:

Had no clue there was a Grovyle thread, but they are doing fine. Again, still nowhere near as many gifs and pics.

Chrom's thread has made a fantastic revival and even changed their title to reflect their goals of DLC. Again, still liking this place more.

Way too much text in Paper Mario thread, but they seem to be partially grasping at straws. Needs more pics and gifs.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
@ Bosspon Bosspon I'm pretty sure we are the third largest newcomer support thread (after K. Rool and Ridley.) Confirm this for me if you can!

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
@ Bosspon Bosspon I'm pretty sure we are the third largest newcomer support thread (after K. Rool and Ridley.) Confirm this for me if you can!
We certainly feel like one of the most active threads at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom