• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HERB discussion Thread *NEW STUFF FIRST POST*

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Neutral
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counterpick
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon
Norfair
Rainbow Cruise
Jungle Japes
Brinstar

Banned
Green Greens
Corneria
Luigi's Mansion
Pictochat

there you go.

perfect list.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Counterpick
Jungle Japes

Banned
Pictochat
People die on Japes from stage environmental damage a LOT more than they do on Pictochat. The only parts of Pictochat that can actually kill you are the spikes that point up and the missiles. Most matches only have one of the two, sometimes neither.

Japes has River God appear twice every 10seconds, and it has a ridiculous ceiling with very close side blast zones.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
I say ban the standing infinite, but the chain-grab should be allowed, even if performed against a wall.

If I'm right, the standing infinite can be done on Samus, Mario, Luigi, DK, and Bowser; but you can still chain-grab Samus, Mario, DK, and Bowser.
you can chain grab luigi aswell
but yeah i agree with this guy
ban it. We dont need it xD

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I actually wanna ban both Japes and Pictochat, but only Pictochat is actually valid or a ban imo due to the changing level (which doesn't seem to last for very long or change constantly, but I believe that's enough to completely skew game flow and all that).

Japes is realllllly gay, but at least it doesn't change. Unlike LM though, it's not made in a way where you can run away forever and/or infinitely camp (yes it really helps campers but that's what CPs are for).

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
I actually wanna ban both Japes and Pictochat, but only Pictochat is actually valid or a ban imo due to the changing level (which doesn't seem to last for very long or change constantly, but I believe that's enough to completely skew game flow and all that).

Japes is realllllly gay, but at least it doesn't change. Unlike LM though, it's not made in a way where you can run away forever and/or infinitely camp (yes it really helps campers but that's what CPs are for).
Im not all that against Pictochat being banned, I just don't agree with it being banned before Japes.

Argyris

Smash Journeyman
The only things wrong with Pictochat that I can see are the upwards spikes and the missiles. That's only two of the 27 transformations. Most of the others just add a few extra platforms to work with and occasionally a very temporary (10-15 seconds) wall that is unreliable or barely reliable for wall infinites that don't usually last more than 5 seconds. This is also the best stage for Kirby's Pictopound (as I like to call it) glitch but that's very easy to stay away from and punish with the right attacks.

Jungle Japes has the Klaptrap that'll snag people that come too close to the river and the river itself that'll quickly drag one to the left edge of the stage. Kirby can fly above the river and Klaptrap range so I don't really know how it affects other characters well but I feel as if the River God can be avoided by just generally staying away from the river and horizontal recovery playing a big part in coming back. I see how this could hurt those with bad horizontal recovery but is that not the point of counterpicking?

The way I see it, they're both stages with close edges, high ceilings, and a bottom edge very close to the main stage, making them not much different other than layout. I see Brinstar and Norfair to have hazards more dangerous than both of these stages. IMO, neither should be banned.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Neutral
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counterpick
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon
Norfair
Rainbow Cruise
Jungle Japes
Brinstar

Banned
Green Greens
Corneria
Luigi's Mansion
Pictochat

there you go.

perfect list.
Take Stingers' list, add the stages he has listed as banned +PS 2 and make those all counterpicks.

I just really like counterpick stages guise.:p

Argyris

Smash Journeyman
I wanna see Green Greens and Corneria banned. Both stages are just asking for wall infinite abuse and the GG bombs are stronger and meaner than they used to be.

Luigi's Mansion, I don't really care whether it's banned or counterpick.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I don't see a reason for luigi's to be banned. The only thing people complain about is the destroyable ceilings.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Gentleman's Rule on Dedede's infinite. Besides, it's not like we're gonna see alot of Sami, Marios, Weegees, or Bowsers in tourney. DK, maybe but not the others.

Hell, we IC mains had it in Melee and we could infinite everyone.

I find it utterly hilarious that D3 can infinite exclusively Miyamoto characters. Some kinda beef in the game development world? GETBUCKGETBUCKGETBUCK

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
and the ability to run laps around the stage, avoiding your opponent and excessively stalling.

right?
Yeah but you can just break the things they're running laps around. I would agree with your argument 100% if not for the fact that you can basically turn the mansion into FD if you want to.

Habanero Pepper

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but you can just break the things they're running laps around. I would agree with your argument 100% if not for the fact that you can basically turn the mansion into FD if you want to.
yeah, it's no hyrule temple in terms of stall. It's no worse than Rainbow Cruise imo.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Zero said pretty much what I would say on the infinite.

And on stages, I'm more or less with Ragnar0k. I prefer a lot of variety in CP stages, and to an extent, we have to consider the fact that some stages are more entertaining to watch than others, but since those stages can rarely be neutrals, they should be reasonable CPs.

I do think Green Greens should be banned, though. Randomly exploding apples being the reason.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Gentleman's Rule on Dedede's infinite. Besides, it's not like we're gonna see alot of Sami, Marios, Weegees, or Bowsers in tourney. DK, maybe but not the others.
Hi PLUR, my name is CB, and I am a Bowser main. I hate being CGed. Can you help a brother out?

Foxy

Smash Master
Have we discussed payouts past top 3? I think that if I'm paying 15 freaking dollars for Melee singles, I'd like a better chance to win some of that back. 60/20/10/5/5? 60/20/10/3/3/2/2? Or maybe with set amounts, like 4th and 5th win back entrance and 6th and 7th get $5? It would be a really nice incentive to do your best, especially since this will be a bigger tournament where only a few select good players really have a shot at getting cash.

Also, now that I realized this is a multi-day event, I revoke my opinion of a Brawl+ side tourney; I think we should have a FULL Brawl+ tournament, especially if people like the newer codes at Bills (which will of course just keep getting better). We'll have the time, space, and Wii's to do it well (unlike my tournament, where we only had three setups so not very many people got to try it or practice). It would probably just have a $5 entrance ($10 per team).

I'd certainly help run that, too.

Vilt

Smash Lord
Gentleman's Rule, plz.

CG neutral. Infinite "counterpick"
So your saying if the character that a person wants to play just because they can be infinited, they have to counterpick?

Have we discussed payouts past top 3? I think that if I'm paying 15 freaking dollars for Melee singles, I'd like a better chance to win some of that back. 60/20/10/5/5? 60/20/10/3/3/2/2? Or maybe with set amounts, like 4th and 5th win back entrance and 6th and 7th get $5? It would be a really nice incentive to do your best, especially since this will be a bigger tournament where only a few select good players really have a shot at getting cash.

Also, now that I realized this is a multi-day event, I revoke my opinion of a Brawl+ side tourney; I think we should have a FULL Brawl+ tournament, especially if people like the newer codes at Bills (which will of course just keep getting better). We'll have the time, space, and Wii's to do it well (unlike my tournament, where we only had three setups so not very many people got to try it or practice). It would probably just have a $5 entrance ($10 per team).

I'd certainly help run that, too.
No. Pot split is how it is. No changing that. The incentive to play is shouldn't be just a chance to win some money back. It should be to do your ****ing best and prove that you should earn that **** when you make it to the top.

Brawl + is not going on at this just because there is a whole lot of people just coming for Brawl and that **** is going to take all the time we have. We might even do pools if the amount of people that show up is too much. If there happens to be time at the end then maybe a small tourney but Brawl takes ****ing forever so there will be NO brawl + at HERB.

BEHR

Smash Hero
No Brawl+ its so time consuming.

You Finished the ****in tourney at Bills until 4 AM.

And time we dont have.

Not that many people have Brawl+ Wiis

Top Bottom