• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Hey! Watch out!" Link Video & Critique Thread

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Yaaay, my super awesome amazing most incredible vids are up now. Thanks, Scabe, haha. If you guys want to critique them I'd be open for it although I know it'd probably be really hard to do since my opponent wasn't that great and I kinda pwned him.

Rizen

Smash Legend

Xcallion

Smash Ace
I think that the double post is appropriate considering how the posts are about a month apart

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, yeah, it looks like there are a couple in the post before I missed because you edited too so I didn't realize they were new. Sorry about that, these past two weeks have been crazy busy for me (4 tests and in lab we went on rounds and like saw patients in the hospital, so I had to do all sorts of workup on them beforehand). I'll try to get them up either this weekend or early next week as soon as everything settles down and I get back from MY SUPER AWESOME TOURNAMENT SATURDAY THAT I REALLY NEED TO RELIEVE SOME STRESS.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
RizenLink vs SculptedTorso (C Falcon) wifi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjwBtl0JZB8

This was one of my 2 best games. ^He/she has a mean C Falcon!
Critique if you want, I don't care either way. Remember it's wifail:c.
First of all, *Subscribed* but...

Hmm, can't say I'd be able to critique you knowing the factors that come into play on wifi, like not knowing what the lag was like, etc.

But, I would say throughout the match you seemed to get more into Link and his ATs (Although some more practice/use of them would be good, me thinks). Beginning seemed a bit slow, but that happens when playing someone new, kinda camp/spam heavy though. Later on (about 1min in) there was an awesome by-chance combo (the reason I play smash :p) that was pretty cool.

Some other notes:
- Missed recovery (likely due to lag I'm guessing)
- Good spacing, a notable fair to C.Falcon's shield. Perhaps more zairs as a safer choice?

Feel free to contest me since I'm certainly no Legan myself.
And nothing to be ashamed of losing to the knee of justice lol.

I think something I noticed, especially playing competitively, is how important taking control of the match is, whether that's psychologically or simply by being intimidating and playing MK ><. But while Link isn't the best aggressive character out there, sometimes aggressive, Izaw-like Link can catch people off guard.

Thanks for uploading! I learned things about my own play just from watching your match too.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Double poast oh noez!

Also put my video up. Critique would very much be appreciated. If you want to critique the other two I'd be glad to hear what you have to say but they're not my Link so don't feel like you're obligated at all, haha.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Wow that snake was super patient and just wrecked you. I'll post up a critique tomorrow.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Double poast oh noez!
You trouble maker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgiTl6YQK8s

Snake's like a better Link, which is why the MU's 6/4 Snake but Link does have a few advantages that you need to take advantage of:

We out-camp Snake, even at long range. His explosives hurt him so Link can force approaches by SHing his 'rang and arrows. The boomerang wind clears grenades that pass our spam wall as it returns and destroys Dsmash mines. Several Snakes have told me the boomerang is what gives them the most trouble. Use it to camp! Bombs hurt us and are slower than grenades; don't rely on them to camp. Make Snake approach anytime possible.

Comboing: Snake wrecks Link up close, as we all know, so go for more jab cancels, Zair>Smash, footstool bombs, 'rang>arrow locks, Bair>chain attacks, that sort of thing. Great jab lock, btw.

A few notes:
Space farther, tip-of-Zair range, unless comboing. Retreat>spam if you can. Careful with pivot grabs, shield grabs are safer. More long range arrow/boomerang spam, less approaches. Play safer with more jabs, spamming and Zair for spacing. Use other attacks too when you're holding a bomb- you kept bomb pulling>throwing/dropping the bomb without 'rang/arrow/Zair/Fsmashing in between (few exceptions). 4:21 roll away! These apply to most of the match.

Good effort and reactions, he was a smart Snake. You just need to play more to Link's strong points in the MU.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, thanks, Rizen. Scatt is PR'd 3rd in Georgia, behind Big Lou and Kismet, so he's definitely no slouch. He actually knocked me into the loser's bracket in 1v1, in teams, and in the Random Rainbow Cruise tourney, haha.

What I noticed as I played the match; he was playing very defensively and reacted to what I did rather than actively initiate anything, so I tried really hard to avoid anything with a lot of lag associated with it, and tried to force him to approach; I only used a few smashes in the course of the match I think (although I love pivot grab these days). I tried to spam him, but he was amazing at blocking my projectiles; he powershielded, grabbed my bombs out of the air, and ducked under everything. Even zair began to feel dangerous as he was able to read me and duck underneath it.

At 4:21, I decided against rolling because it was clear to me Scatt knew what he was doing, and I was pretty sure he was baiting a roll (fsmash releases in one frame, so he can hit me as I start rolling before invincibility kicks in).

My projectile game is something that's needed work for a while; before I didn't use them enough, and what I've noticed now is I am too predictable with my bombs and throw them immediately, you're absolutely right Rizen.

You know, looking back, I don't think I've EVER gotten a boomerang > arrow lock in, ever. I always go straight for the jab lock, haha.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Vids are up now.

Haha, Rizen, if you're taking the match seriously enough to panic if you start losing you need to not sandbag in the beginning. Play really cautiously until you figure out the lag, don't underestimate your opponent in the beginning or goof off if it's a match you're playing to win! One phrase I've heard that I kinda like is "show your opponent respect in real life by showing them none in battle." Take your opponent seriously and assume they're going to be a dangerous foe from start to finish; give them your A-game!

And yeah, it's always difficult when it's wifi since lag changes the way the game is played, but you were smashing a lot, haha, and spamming your kill moves especially when he was at kill percentages. Try to calm down a bit and force them into something bad rather than trying to force the kill move itself.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You should move around more when your camping Arizen, sometimes you would stand still and shoot arrows and throw boomerangs which would have been better done jumping around a bit more with the option to Zair if need be.

The match against his Snake on BF was your best one, your mixed-up more and made better choices. You should react to nades better some of them are a lot more avoidable if you didn't commit to grounded arrows or rang when they were right next to you.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Thanks to LoneWolfe for the critique earlier:bee:.
but you were smashing a lot, haha, and spamming your kill moves especially when he was at kill percentages.
You should move around more when your camping Arizen, sometimes you would stand still and shoot arrows and throw boomerangs which would have been better done jumping around a bit more with the option to Zair if need be.
Thanks for the advice:).
What's annoying is I know a lot of my mistakes but make them anyway, especially not SH spamming and Fsmashing/Dsmashing when jabs are better:urg:.
Even though my style is to not save kill moves if they're a good choice, I neglect Utilt, OoS jumps and jabs too much.
I do have slight hand tremors that effect my consistency so between that and lag my Link always looks 'clunky'. No johns. But most mistakes are my bad choices.

Thanks for critiquing despite the lag; it's hard to be a wifi player and be taken seriously.
PS
Snake match 2 0:37 bad timed SDI:mad:.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, ignore me... it doesn't matter... xD
Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted critiques.:c

More Online Matches
vs Yasfer (ditto Link)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvCsu1_EILY
That MK played sort of funny so I'll critique the Dittos.

First 40 seconds, good tactics and aggressiveness, you're choosing the better options.
0:59 Nice DAC bomb catch!
Be sure to SH projectiles and quickdraw arrows.
1:11 good edge guard; good read, spacing, everything.
1:16 he walks behind you? Strange. Bomb throw> grab would have made the bomb land on the platform. Bomb Fsmash would be good too.
1:25 good shield grab, immediately throw opponents at low %s.
1:35ish wifi Dairs surprise me sometimes when they hit :glare:. Assume you have less time to dodge them than normal.
1:59 good read, I love to Dair stage-spike people:grin:.
2:25 OoS Spin attack or Dsmash would have had better results.
2:30 Good momentum canceling, Dair is slightly better for vertical launches.
End: Good arrow lock and edge guard.

You dominated the game! Except a few minor changes you have that down;).

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted critiques.:c
Yeah, sorry, i should say it xD.

That MK played sort of funny so I'll critique the Dittos.
Yeah, that MK was kinda weird... but i think it was a funny fight xD

First 40 seconds, good tactics and aggressiveness, you're choosing the better options.
0:59 Nice DAC bomb catch!
Be sure to SH projectiles and quickdraw arrows.
1:11 good edge guard; good read, spacing, everything.
1:16 he walks behind you? Strange. Bomb throw> grab would have made the bomb land on the platform. Bomb Fsmash would be good too.
1:25 good shield grab, immediately throw opponents at low %s.
1:35ish wifi Dairs surprise me sometimes when they hit :glare:. Assume you have less time to dodge them than normal.
1:59 good read, I love to Dair stage-spike people:grin:.
2:25 OoS Spin attack or Dsmash would have had better results.
2:30 Good momentum canceling, Dair is slightly better for vertical launches.
End: Good arrow lock and edge guard.

You dominated the game! Except a few minor changes you have that down;).
Thanks. Chilean Wifi is kinda laggy. I have the Jump Tilt off... OoS Spin Attack is a little complicated :p.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Arizen... I saw your videos... and i think you make a very good projectiles game. Although, you are very static player... i think you need to move more in the field, use all your space and make a better spacing play.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Astronomical Wifis!

^You're right. Not moving enough is a bad habit for me:c.

RizenLink vs ChuyMasta (Ike) wifi 4-22-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xTsdMVvSMs

Not for critiques:

RizenLink vs TGM (Marth) wifi 4-22-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v1w_4uKW-8

Rizen vs ICs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5TPCMWBc_U
(he rage quit:glare:)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
This is probably the best video thread I've seen. Blah, I wanted to upload my matches but my internet ran out again >_>, so I have to wait like a week or so.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I'll take a shot at critiquing this one, hopefully in the next few days. I got an animation project due in a few days.
RizenLink vs ChuyMasta (Ike) wifi 4-22-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xTsdMVvSMs

Oops I got completely distracted by an animation project that i forgot to critique you're match Huggles. So i'll do that now... this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgiTl6YQK8s

(0:15) Great start, though very risky. I assume that pivot grab was either bad input or an unfortunate bad read. Though Snake didnt really take advantage of it.
(0:19-0:23) Generally not a good idea to go jab for jab against a Snake on even footing. Good spotdodge, though the roll was rather unsafe and got you got punished. You could have tried a retreating Zair since snake is tall to be a little safer and do some damage. Though you probably still would have gotten dash attacked. After which you double jumped and landed right behind him. Would have been a good to get away from Snake instead and try to reset the spacing.
(0:24-0:27) Nice projectile pressure into Zair approach, usually a pretty decent choice. Though that Snake must play a bunch of Links and saw right through it and you got punished once again.
(0:29-0:34) Honestly i dont see what you could have really changed about this portion of the match. You did a fairly safe option of SH bomb pull. It's rather rare for a Snake to use the dash attack as much as this one does. It seems your only option to be safe from that would have been to jump further away during your bomb pull, or perhaps a SH wave bounce/retreating boomerang toss could have countered his dash attack.
(0:41-0:44) Good timing on the air dodge into the Utilt. Bair seemed like the best follow up option though once again the Snake player got away. Deciding to not chase Snake up was probably a good choice. Though rolling behind the Snake was not the safest option, it did workout okay.
(0:45) When in this scenario it might have been best to do some sort of jab cancel thing. Either Jab cancel to jab or jab cancel to retreating Zair. Either one could have prevented you from getting into the following bad position where he trapped you with a grab to jab. That he timed perfectly and there was probably no safe options as soon as you started shielding. Could have tried rolling backwards as soon as you he turned around, though knowing this snake he probably would have dash attacked anyway.
(0:49-0:53) Good recovery choice, probably the safest one. You could have dropped from the ledge to grab a bomb, but that would have given Snake more time to set up traps. Against someone like Snake, I find it important to get back on stage asap to not let him set up traps. The charged Fsmash was a bad choice, but you probably know that. You could have chased after Snake with a jump and Fair since he was holding a bomb. There isn't much he could have done to retaliate aside from hitting you and probably himself with the bomb. Then again Snakes are known to use explosions followed up by aerials to kill. The safest option would probably have been to use a SH approaching boomerang after you landed. It would have forced him to air dodge or take damage, either way putting putting him in the perfect placement for a Bair, Fair, Utilt, or if you really wanted to a charge Fsmash.
(0:55-1:08) Good job at maintaining the spacing with projectile harrassment. Unfortunately, the Snake is really good at power shield, crawl and Dtilt (that cant be very easy either). The Zair before the Dtilt was a rather bad choice, since Snake was already crawling around. Though honestly when Snake is doing such a good job at slowly approaching there isn't much you could have done aside from attempting to get around him to the opposite side. Maybe try a DAC at this point since you were in the long range rhythm, it would have been a good time to mix it up.
(1:08-1:27) Good work capitalizing on his mistakes. Snake made a mistake by accidentally running off stage and not actually attacking you. Followed by another mistake of using his C4 right when you were shielding. Though if you didnt throw your bomb he might have landed on his land mine with a grenade in hand resulting in much more damage than your bomb though either way you followed up with some good attacks and waiting patiently in your shield for the Bair.
(1:37-1:43) Another well timed dash attack from Snake... (I seriously think more Snakes should use dash attack, its so good.) It probably would have been safer to save your jump at that point, but with some luck and good timing you were able to escape.
(1:49) Awesome. Nair to bomb.
(1:53) Another bad piviot grab.
(2:02) He was baiting the Dsmash. Honestly i probably would have tried it too. At that percent it would have had a good chance of killing him if it did hit. Though since he was baiting your smash, you could have done some jab shield pressure into charged Fsmash in hopes of breaking his shield.
(2:12) Completely random Dair, but good that you retreated after. At that point you could have tried baiting an air dodge and using Fair to kill since he used his jump. Though he could have pulled a grenade to defend himself.
(2:16-2:19) Nice trap by using his power shielding against him and anticipating his teching by following up with an Ftilt. Though if you slide while using Ftilt, you definitely would have hit him. And at that perfect and being fresh, it would have killed him.
(2:21) I assume the backward Zair was an attempt at catching the grenade. Not to long ago i came across a snake that preventing me from using his own grenades against him by tapping B to make the grenade stop and fall straight to the ground. Granted that Snake didn't show any use of that AT, so it was a decently safe option if you didnt miss it.
(2:27) I bet you were kicking yourself after missing that Footstool to Dair opportunity.
(3:09) Very nice SDI, you went in the opposite direction for a second. Anyway during your double jump, if you could have done a bomb pull into a throw and it might have deterred him from the edge hog. You could also try using the boomerang and saving your jump to make it harder for Snake to predict when you are going to attempt a recovery.
(3:20-3:30) Good spacing and predicting the dash attack.
(3:31) Exactly why using grenades against a good Snake is not an option.
(3:32-3:42) More good spacing. A little wreck less with the double Fsmash against his shield, but it worked out okay because Snake messed up a C4 reversal.
(3:43) Would have been a good time to follow up with a Zair or something. But playing the projectile game when your a stock behind is usually a safer bet.
(3:48) Nice pivot grab.
(3:57) Good choice rolling into the C4. Most Snakes use it as a trap to catch you with another grab or Utilt and dont expect someone to actually head to the C4.
(4:00) Awesome. Though ending on a Spin attack may be a better option when you can't kill. It saves up you Dsmash for later use. But then agian idk how much damage a charged spin attack does.
(4:11) I'm actually starting to think FH bomb toss into Nair is interesting strategy.
(4:13) Another failed pivot grab attempt that could have been a charged smash, but how were you to know he would mess up a grenade wave bounce.
(4:21) Played a dangerous game of chicken there. Might have been safer to roll away then stay shielding. You were also lucky your bomb wasn't close to exploding or it probably would have broken your shield. Either way no harm done.

Anyway, you did a pretty good job fighting that Snake. A few things you may want to consider working on.
  • Testing if a Snake will make you drop Grenades and if he does dont bother to use them.
  • Practice sliding around with Ftilt and Dsmash.
  • Try mixing things up when projectiles are being completely blocked.
  • Save your jumps and use projectiles to guard your recovery.
But overall, great job pulling off a lot of great stuff during this match.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, thanks for the critique Ryos. That Snake was a beast; I love playing people like him because they really push me to my limit, and that's where you learn.
Though rolling behind the Snake was not the safest option, it did workout okay.
I was kicking myself right here. I meant to grab, but I have X set to grab, and sometimes when I try to turn around and grab it makes me roll, not sure why. The jabs were a panic reaction to an error on my part, but you're right, after the roll something other than jab jab jab would have been a better choice.
Another bad piviot grab. (x9000)
Herp derp Ah lurv pivot grab. Haha, I've fallen in love with it using other characters, and a lot of times I try to get cute with it, and it cost me multiple punishing opportunities in this match, haha. Definitely one of the things I need to work at.
(2:02) He was baiting the Dsmash. Honestly i probably would have tried it too. At that percent it would have had a good chance of killing him if it did hit. Though since he was baiting your smash, you could have done some jab shield pressure into charged Fsmash in hopes of breaking his shield.
I was trying to bait him into doing something with the fake approach> ff air dode > spot dodge, and when he patiently waited I kinda panicked and tried to force a dsmash that I had already committed to in my mind. I was outbaited, haha
(2:21) I assume the backward Zair was an attempt at catching the grenade. Not to long ago i came across a snake that preventing me from using his own grenades against him by tapping B to make the grenade stop and fall straight to the ground.
Yep, haha. I knew Snake could make me drop a grenade by shielding; I didn't know he could make them fall straight down after throwing them like he did later in the match, since I've always heard the solution is to instant throw it, which I did (I actually turned and said, "whoah! I knew you could strip me of grenades but I didn't know you could make them stall in midair!" during the match when it happened around 3:30 or so, haha).
(4:00) Awesome. Though ending on a Spin attack may be a better option when you can't kill.
I was initially planning on doing a spin attack, but he started SDI'ing toward the ledge the last two hits or so to avoid the big hit I think (he was bouncing back a lot faster than I anticipated, regardless), so I instinctively abandoned my plan and slid my fingers down to Cstick down and A to charge. Either way it did about the same amount of damage and spin attack wasn't going to kill Snake at that percent, so no harm done, haha.
(4:21) Played a dangerous game of chicken there. Might have been safer to roll away then stay shielding. You were also lucky your bomb wasn't close to exploding or it probably would have broken your shield. Either way no harm done.
This was a situation where I knew he was baiting something, and I know Snake's fsmash comes out on frame 1, but I wasn't positive on the frame data and if he could hit me if I did try to roll, so I decided to patiently wait it out. Actually, I'm still not positive on whether or not he could have punished my roll on reaction.

In a way, I felt like I played a good game against a great player, put up a pretty good fight, and have nothing to be ashamed of, but I also see a lot of flaws I need to fix, and it makes me want to get better, haha.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Arizen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xTsdMVvSMs

Since this is an online match with obvious lag, i'll keep the critique mostly focused on strat.

(0:05) A very weird choice of an opening move. I can only assume it was meant to be a SH.
(0:16) At the point you are back to back like that against Ike, it would probably be a safer and more effective bet to SH Bair. It could have lead into another Bair followed by a boomerang for much more damage than a Dsmash. Though since the Dsmash hit and he didnt do anything after you could have followed up with a Bair or Utilt.
(0:24) Its not a very good idea to bomb pull into someone like that. Could have SH backwards possibly even off stage or just did a standing one and shielded the Fair.
(0:27) Nice set up with the bomb drop to backwards Nair. Though you sort of dropped the combo after that. This is another chance to make use of Link's fast Bair to follow up.
(0:31) While Ike was recoverying, it would have been a good chance to set up for some massive damage instead of shooting him with an arrow. Could have double jump bomb drop into foot stool fast fall jab lock into spin attack. Or simpler would have been to bomb toss up, jab, jab, grab, Uthrow into the bomb.
(0:42) Impressive move by ike. I would have never thought of stringing those 2 attacks together.
(0:45) You missed a great chance to Dair Ike. He chased you but didnt attack.
(0:52) Spin attack... very unsafe. Better choice once again would have been a SH Bair. Maybe even a drop kick combo into jab jab Fsmash/Dsmash.
(1:30) Wifi SD by Ike...
(1:37) Another combo possibility you missed. Bomb into Nair could have led into Utilt or Bair. But honestly it might not have worked out anyway with Ikes fast jabs.
(1:39) An Fsmash at that low% isnt that safe. Could have also done a jab cancel into Fsmash to build more damage if you really wanted to use Fsmash. Link has alot of options when hes around that distance behind Ike when he messes up an Fsmash.
(2:03) Another random Fsmash. You smash way too often as Link. It really lowers his kill potential.
(2:09) Bad time to Dsmash, Ikes % is way to low and there is a lot of lag after Link's smashes.
(2:42-2:45) ... Interesting. At this point it would be good to retreat with a SH Zair incase he was trying to get up with a jump and then follow up with a bombs and boomerangs to make it hard for Ike to get back and possibly rack up damage.
(3:20) Next time go for the ledge bomb pull then Zair to the ledge. From there you can release SH back on stage while throwing the bomb to cover yourself. Then after you land attempt to jump behind him or even throw the boomerang behind him and bait the quick draw near the edge and it might just pull him to his death similar to that of D3's inhale.
(3:35) Instead of trying to edge hog him. It probably would have been safer to pressure with projectiles and Zair a safe distance away.

Overall, lots of Wifi mistakes. But either way you may want to lessen the usage of your smashes when your opponent is at such a low%. It gives them a good opportunity to counter attack even if they get hit or not.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Dang 3:27 was so epic. lol. At least we Link's know that is an option for Wolf from a grab release.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I like playing Wolf for fun a lot, I'll have to keep that in mind, ha.

I'll try to get these up pretty soon. I'm finally done with exams, so I'll have a bit of free time soon hopefully.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I think I'm better than those vids now, well could be if I played against the people in Sydney, but yeah, I'll be uploading like one vid a day, since my net is so damn slow.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Lol thanks guys, they're all pretty old vids though, but I was probably in my prime then. I'm a lot smarter now though, I make a lot of dumb mistakes looking back.

Anyways here's more of the vids. I'll eventually rename them when I get the chance:

Tedeth Wolf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj-cKTKeAEA

Tedeth Wario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JerVXMLN4s

Oats (Lucas) One of the Americans that came over for Robocop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iAsTfmFdFo

Silfa DK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P68utQANAhY

Tedeth Wario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6KThmY8mNc

Silfa DK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P57KPo8kP_4

These two I played with Hall (Snake) who ended up coming second at Robocop. He was one of the Americans that came over here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwMYFtnTlzg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdN1QLNg2CQ

Man I play and lose to Tedeth a lot.

Top Bottom