• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hip Hop: The Poetic Side

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
It's good that people finally realize the fact that Hip-Hop is a bad genre, period. Not trying to sound like a troll, but I've always hated Hip-Hop. Beside, most of them are curse-filled, especially ones that my brother has.

Give me links to good hip-hop musics that doesn't have cursing.

Jesus christ how ****ing ignorant are you!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIskTtctvtg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjqTiQhOgU8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OobUV9q0aDA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A96QXTw_M28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYkvCkpv7kQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVyVIsvQoaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERQzl4xDpXk

There are a ridiculous amount of hip-hop songs that have little to no swears. This took me no more than 4 mins to gather up.

If I wanted to, I could gather up a list 7x as big as this with songs that have at most, 3-4 swears.

You coming in here with your ignorant statements acting as if you know **** about a genre you don't even listen to. The hip hop your brother probably listens to is that mainstream, above ground ****. Neither you nor probably him were born during the golden age of hip hop nor do you or probably him even actively look for the hip hop worth listening to.

You say you're trying not to troll, but that has to be bull**** with what you're saying.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
dont even listen to that noob.

My fav is west coast hip hop

Hieroglyphics
Living Legends
People Under the Stairs
Blue Scholars
lots more...

I really like Atmosphere and he is amazing live.

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
cookiemonster! have you checked out Blu and Exile - Below the Heavens ? it's a great album, if you havent checked it out you should. looking at the artists you listen to, i think you'd like it. Blu is very much like Common and Talib Kweli.
my personal favorite rappers are P.O.S., Astronautalis, Grieves, Dessa, Louis Logic, and Illogic.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
First was disgusting. Despise the lyrics and the beat made me sick

Second completely was a 180. Amazing beat and the lyrics made me laugh.

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
yeah i havent really liked any of his work in Johnson&Johnson, but Blu & Exile make an amazing combo. just check out their album together. it's epic.

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
Danger Doom and Gnarls Barkley are both awesome. Danger Mouse makes everything gold. he just did a project with the singer from The Shins, called Broken Bells. not sure if it's your cup of tea but if you like any indie rock with Danger Mouse production, there ya go!

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I havnt heard of them to be honest. I branch out my artists through last.fm and discovery of new artists there can be slow. I've heard of most of the artists in OP, but a few of them escape me.

.Marik

is a social misfit
This is a good thread.

Guys, ignore the haters. They're obviously uneducated about what real rap music is, so why waste that time and effort debating with them? They judge our music off of idiots like Gucci Mane and Soulja Boy, and other similar mainstream icons that produce garbage.

Add Aesop Rock, he's one of my favourite rappers and mad legit. Here are some songs that I can listen to on repeat by him, no problem.

Fast Cars

39 Thieves

The Yes and the Ya'll

Nightlight

Daylight

Battery

Bent Life

Also needs some more Eyedea and Slug love.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I love threads like this because then I find out about all this great new music.

I like that Blu and Exile you posted Noraa, I'll definitely check them out more.

I've wanted to get into Aesop Rock for a while now, thanks for the links Marik.

Noraa

Smash Lord
I love aesop rock, daylight is myy stuffffff.
Iv been into Dom Kennedy heavly lately, i love his flow and hes just chilllll

EDIT::: I forgot about eyedea....he can freestyle for agesssss.
I should put up some Slug =]

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I've come across Aesop Rock a bunch of times, but I never really took the time to listen to him.

Listening to him now, He feels gritty. Legit, but gritty.

EDIT: Broken Bells is legit. I love you Danger Mouse.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I'm sort of a beginner with Hip Hop/Rap. I've been listening to it for a while now but most of the artists I've heard are pretty mainstream (Eminem, Jay-Z, etc.) and before that most of what I listened to was rock.

Based on this can anyone give me a few tracks/artists that are good just as sort of an... introduction of sorts to the genre? I'd really like to get more into this but so many artists have been listed here and I don't know where to begin, lol.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I'm sort of a beginner with Hip Hop/Rap. I've been listening to it for a while now but most of the artists I've heard are pretty mainstream (Eminem, Jay-Z, etc.) and before that most of what I listened to was rock.

Based on this can anyone give me a few tracks/artists that are good just as sort of an... introduction of sorts to the genre? I'd really like to get more into this but so many artists have been listed here and I don't know where to begin, lol.
cookieM0Nster's Music Wish List

Eminem
Recovery

Blak Madeen
Sacred Defense

Wu-Tang Clan
Chamber Music

Raekwon
Staten Go Hard, Vol. 1
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Pt. 2

Ghostface Killah
Fishscale
More Fish
Ghostdini Wizard of Poetry in Emerald City
Ironman

GZA the Genius
Pro Tools
Legend of the Liquid Sword
Beneath the Surface

Reflection Eternal
Revolutions Per Minute

Basic Vocab
A Better Way
The General Dynamic

Substantial
To This Union a Sun Was Born (Deluxe Version)

CYNE
Water for Mars

Murs & 9th Wonder
Fornever

D12
D12 World
Devil’s Night

Lupe Fiasco
Lasers

Rakim
The Master
Paid in Full

Artists
Eminem
Wu-Tang Clan
Raekwon
Method Man
Ghostface Killah
GZA the Genius
Nas
Talib Kweli
Mos Def
Common
A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
2Pac
The Notorious B.I.G.
Rakim
Fat Boys
Gift of Gab
KRS-One
Ras Kass
Mobb Deep
Queen Latifah
Nefertiti
Naughty by Nature
Melle Mel
Grandmaster Flash
Crown City Rockers
Hieroglyphs
Atmosphere
OutKast
Gang Starr
Jedi Mind Tricks
Jurassic 5
Q-Tip
The Roots
Mobb Deep
Ice-T
Nefertiti
Guru
Ice Cube
D12
Big Punisher
Blak Madeen
Basic Vocab
Substantial
Murs
CYNE
Little Brother
Souls of Mischief
Shad
Wildchild

Bro. Start with the list OP gave you.

Personally, I recommend MF Doom, Danger Doom, and Substanial/Nujabes.
He should start with classics, such as Illmatic, 36 Chambers, the Slim Shady LP, etc

Check out this thread http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245592

There's plenty of real Hip Hop still out there, they just don't play it on the radio. You have to look for it.

And your list is missing Slaughterhouse.

@ Clownbot: Tell me if you like this track.

Anyone else who hasn't listened to Joe Budden's good stuff is also welcome to be amazed.
I'll check out that thread, and also Slaughterhouse.

I know there's still Hip-Hop out there, but the good stuff is hidden beneath all the garbage. I just found a Raekwon album that came out a week ago on iTunes, and nobody even reviewed it. It's really sad.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

I'm going to suggest Lupe Fiasco. He's one of the first rappers I ever listened to, and most of his lyrics are amazing.

Here's some links to get you started:

Kick Push
The Cool
The Instrumental
Shining Down

If you like those, you should definitely check out his two studio albums, Food and Liquor and The Cool.

If you like the Gorillaz, he did a mixtape with them called "A Rhyming Ape" that's really good.

He also has a bunch of mixtapes out, his most recent being Enemy of the State. That one is great, as are the rest.

If you like him you can VM me or just post in here and I can give you some more suggestions.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I'm going to suggest Lupe Fiasco. He's one of the first rappers I ever listened to, and most of his lyrics are amazing.

Here's some links to get you started:

Kick Push
The Cool
The Instrumental
Shining Down

If you like those, you should definitely check out his two studio albums, Food and Liquor and The Cool.

If you like the Gorillaz, he did a mixtape with them called "A Rhyming Ape" that's really good.

He also has a bunch of mixtapes out, his most recent being Enemy of the State. That one is great, as are the rest.

If you like him you can VM me or just post in here and I can give you some more suggestions.
Lupe Fiasco is an excellent lyricist.

I'm Beamin, a single from his upcoming album Lasers, is a song with wordplay and clever lyrics made to the fullest.

He does not, actually have many mixtapes out. As far as I know, the only mixtape he put out is Enemy of the State. I could be wrong, but I believe I'm correct.

Anyone else hear the new Eminem single, "Not Afraid"? It's songs like that that make me love Eminem.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Lupe dropped quite a few mixtapes.

If you haven't heard them, you're missing out, lol. Check them out as soon as you get the chance, there's good stuff on em.

The Truth Is Among Us (2006)
Revenge of the Nerds (2006)
A Rhyming Ape (2006)
Touch the Sky (2006)
Lupe the Jedi (2006)
A Rhyming Ape (2006)
Nerds in Paradise (2006)
The Great (2006)
Chi-Town Guevara (2006)
It Was Written... (2006)
Trials and Tribulations Vol. 1 (2006)
RBK Artists Spotlight Vol. 1 (2006)
2K Sports Mixtape (2006)
Rise of the Phynx: The Mixtape (2006)
Street Smart (2006)
Muhammed Walks (2006)
A Rhyming Ape Special Re-Release (2007)
A Real MC (2007)
Da Exam (2007)
The Coolest Mixtape (2007)
Follow The Leader (2008)

And then there's Enemy of the State.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Lol, I pulled that from one of his fansites. I don't know them all by heart, nor have I even heard them all, lol.

Lurve me some Lupe tho.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I haven't heard all of them either. The only ones I own are Follow the Leader, Lupe the Jedi, and Enemy of the State.

But a lot of the songs on the mixtape are either on other mixtapes or his studio albums.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
That Black Star is really good, both of those guys are great.

I'll probably download that when I get home. Along with Dangerdoom's album, I'm really liking that.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Lupe dropped quite a few mixtapes.

If you haven't heard them, you're missing out, lol. Check them out as soon as you get the chance, there's good stuff on em.

The Truth Is Among Us (2006)
Revenge of the Nerds (2006)
A Rhyming Ape (2006)
Touch the Sky (2006)
Lupe the Jedi (2006)
A Rhyming Ape (2006)
Nerds in Paradise (2006)
The Great (2006)
Chi-Town Guevara (2006)
It Was Written... (2006)
Trials and Tribulations Vol. 1 (2006)
RBK Artists Spotlight Vol. 1 (2006)
2K Sports Mixtape (2006)
Rise of the Phynx: The Mixtape (2006)
Street Smart (2006)
Muhammed Walks (2006)
A Rhyming Ape Special Re-Release (2007)
A Real MC (2007)
Da Exam (2007)
The Coolest Mixtape (2007)
Follow The Leader (2008)

And then there's Enemy of the State.
Hm, I'll try to check them out, but I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

Didn't see Matador's post, ignore this.

Don't doubt my Lupe knowledge :mad:
Sorry, from my experience of mixtapes, DJ's just take acapellas of their songs and mix around with them.

Lol, I pulled that from one of his fansites. I don't know them all by heart, nor have I even heard them all, lol.

Lurve me some Lupe tho.
Who doesn't? He's amazing, but Eminem >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lupe

I haven't heard all of them either. The only ones I own are Follow the Leader, Lupe the Jedi, and Enemy of the State.

But a lot of the songs on the mixtape are either on other mixtapes or his studio albums.
Exactly.

That Black Star is really good, both of those guys are great.

I'll probably download that when I get home. Along with Dangerdoom's album, I'm relly liking that.
Black Star is amazing. Mos Def and Talib Kweli are the best.

Top Bottom