• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Holy crap, Jigglypuff is awesome in Brawl.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
Do you know how much we cringed every time we killed someone off the side with Rest mid-match, knowing that we'd awake to find a knee to the face?
now you can cringe everytime you land a rest at 80%, fail to KO them, and awake only to the sound of falcon PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH!!! right in your grill

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I don't understand what you are trying to say; are you admitting you don't main Jigglypuff, and don't know much about the character, while still promoting your opinions as gospel?

Your matter-of-fact statement that the character "has clearly been weakened" not only has no supporting evidence, but is stated in spite of the entire Jigglypuff forum. I don't really care whether or not you think a character in a video game is good or bad in your opinion, but coming in to tell people much more familiar with the character what to think comes across as ignorant.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Lol I'm not being immature I get offended easily when somebody tells me that I suck when I don't. Ok I was joking about the 12 b airs but you can still do a lot and I wasn't really counting. It was just an expression.

Kirio

Smash Apprentice
I personally enjoy the matching flames of Jigglymaster's post and sig. yay.

Anyway, Jigglymaster, according to that vid you looked pretty **** good. I dunno if you retained that through melee and to brawl, but I'm sure you're still very good. The only thing is, you don't have to freak out if someone says your main is a low tier. It's simply their opinion and prediction. It really means nothing. And if people are dissing you and you're really quite good, just laugh about it or find some way to prove them wrong, there's no reason to get angry, it's just their ignorance.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
Lol I'm not being immature I get offended easily when somebody tells me that I suck when I don't. Ok I was joking about the 12 b airs but you can still do a lot and I wasn't really counting. It was just an expression.
I never said you sucked. I never implied that I was good.

Anyways...I added your FC but you haven't added mine...what's the deal, I thought we were going to game

Moosecalibur

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why there has been an increase in Jigglypuff hate lately. Ok rest was nerfed fine, let's find other strategies and quit moaning.
syonryokenman said:
we are gonna game son! turn on that wii!!!!
Exactly!!!! Lets get our faces out of the dirt and actually use what's been given to us instead of just trying to use the same overused technique on a character that requires new ones. All of you smashboard people are complaining about not being able to find better and new techniques in a span of 2-3 weeks, while you fail to remember that it took YEARS!!! to find out the techniques used in melee. Instead of bickering about the past, let's press on with what we've been given and dominate the world by showing what the new Jiggernaut is made of!!!!!!!

Fuzzy Cow

Smash Rookie
If you ask me, put puff stuff in the lowest possible tier. That way, when you pull her out everyone laughs at you and you slam them for an easy kill. Tiers really don't matter to me, I play who I want to play (though I'm not really good). That's how I see these games, if I like a character I like him/her. My friend, family, or the rest of the world might not; but I do so I insist on playing him/her.
However, with that said I don't think she's quite as good a you (the starter of the thread) put her out to be. It sounds like she got nerfed on the ground and decaying attacks arn't really attractive to me ( I say this without having played the game...living in Europe). Sure standing and fighting has never been her style, but you gotta land sometime, and WoP depends alot on fairs and bairs ( this is all theroy). Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think these are going to be tough points to get over. Meanwhile I await it's release and will keep tabs on her until then.

Tube

Smash Rookie
purins air game in melee is a lot more noticable imo. seeing how the game is so floaty, she excels quite well with it

w!ld ch!ld

Smash Cadet
i'm not sure anymore i played her in melee but brawl is way different but if whoever claimed the 12 bair off the edge for the kill i'd love to see a video for that i'm not saying that you can't i just want to see you connect all 12 of them

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I still am trying to figure out the point of doing 12 Bairs without jumping. And how it would help Jigglypuff in a real match...

Metaknight can do like 5 or 6 Uairs out of a single jump, and if you hit him high enough, I'm pretty sure he can do at least 12 without jumping.

But why spend that time doing Uairs when you could be trying to cover your bottom from the opponent as they try to KO you?

It's nice that people here seem to think Jigglypuff was improved. I'm having a very hard time finding good things about her and she was my third in Melee. Her air control isn't as good as it was then (she gave it to Wario) and she feels even lighter and more vulnerable than ever. Her Sing is still useless, and her rest is almost useless now. Rollout seems better and pound breaks shields in two hits. Also her Dair and Fair are better. Besides that I really don't enjoy using her any more. :(

Darth JoBak

Smash Apprentice
Purin has become highly specialized, its tough to place it in the tier because jig is going to end up countering high tier/top tier characters but not all

anyone have any team experience? is the puff gonnarock the 2v2 scene? peach puff power was insane

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Well assuming that the high tier characters are Mr. Game and Watch, Toon Link, Marth, Fox, Olimar and Wolf, I don't see how she'd really COUNTER any of them. Not like how she could really step up to the Space Animals in Melee because of her rest combos.

Although she gives characters with short range or laggy ground attacks a really hard time. XD

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Jigglymaster makes me Giggle.. /<3

Bowyer makes me lewl...

Nublets make me go.. "ORLY"

and the wheels on the bus go round and round.

After playing Jiggs alot more you start to realize that of all the characters in brawl she doesn't really get r@ped like she used to by toons like Fox/Falco/Falcon/Shiek.. aka the top tier that was mostly seen in tourneys... however i must also say that as a Jiggs player that really relied on rest for my early gimps in melee the game HAS changed alot for me.

Jiggs can't really DI and outlast opponents like she used to be able to [even though she died at retardedly low %'s], he recovery was gimped w/ the loss of the extra airdodge jump that she no longer has.. and everyone's recovery is quite amazing now so Jigglypuff doesn't really stand in a recovery tier of her own anymore that makes her very appealing...

This all being said.. Jigglypuff IS able to basically combo ANY toon in the game quite well, and one might dare to say that Jiggs along w/ Mario, Luigi, Lucario, ROB, MK, TL, Wolf, ect.. are the best comboers in the game... but wait.. Chozen just said "Combo" in regards to brawl...

YES! F**K YOU ALL if you honestly think combos do not exist in brawl.. follow DI; and L2P.

Basically any toon is capable of comboing in brawl so what is the point of playing Jigglypuff anymore??

IMO she's good, but only for now. The reason that people do so well ATM w/ toons like MK, ROB, Jiggs, Wolf ect is b/c not very many advanced techniques have been discovered yet.. remember that back in the day Zelda [yes, in melee] was considered "high tier". WTF is that...

Do I believe Jigglypuff is a solid character now in comparison to her older "glass canon" self... YES.

Do I believe that Jiggs will still be tournament viable in about 6 months... NO.

What made Jigglypuff so good in melee was the fact that rest was so quick and powerful it was bassically a free KO due to a lack of opponent DI [if the Jiggs player was mindgamey enough to land them consistently enough]. Now she lost that utility and you're honestly better off playing Luigi if you're looking for a toon w/ similar characteristics that Jiggs had in melee.

Just wait.. and mark my words gentlemen...

btw.. i also perdict sometime in the next 6 months our tierlist will look something like this...

MK
DDD
Wolf
ROB
Snake

that is all.

Good Day Sirs.

w!ld ch!ld

Smash Cadet
i agree i play marth as a main and jiggs as a second combos are dirt easy for me with my marth and i wall of pained with jiggs my first time playing but i relied of the sleep in melee which is why jiggs is only my second now i'm having a way hard time with jiggs because 1 i can't get early kills with the sleep 2 my recovery is nerfed with out the air dodge and i'm not sure if i can infa pound any more i haven't checked and the rest of the cast has great recovery too and 3 i loved to death by recovery all day long which with the new fair on marth hitting at crazy cool angles rather than up is easier with marth for me
oh and i also can to plenty of spacing and mind games just as easy with marth.

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
^That was very insightful and a much needed post in this thread </sarcasm>

Jigglypuff is still a viable character for now but s/he lost much of what made her great in Melee. I just hope chosenone's predictions are wrong and Jigglypuff remains a strong contender in the cast, but I don't see it happening either unfortunately. Regardless, I'll probably stick with Jigglypuff just so I can mock the nubs when I 4 stock them as Jigglypuff.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
As far as i can tell, Jigglypuff defiantly seems to have been nerfed in many ways, but the whole new brawl mechanics open up a new world of techniques to Jigglypuffs advantage, we just have to learn how to exploit them.

TheStig

Smash Lord
^That was very insightful and a much needed post in this thread </sarcasm>

Jigglypuff is still a viable character for now but s/he lost much of what made her great in Melee. I just hope chosenone's predictions are wrong and Jigglypuff remains a strong contender in the cast, but I don't see it happening either unfortunately. Regardless, I'll probably stick with Jigglypuff just so I can mock the nubs when I 4 stock them as Jigglypuff.
Yeah this is what I hope to do as well. I like to use the sun hat costume for further insult.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Jigglymaster makes me Giggle.. /<3

Bowyer makes me lewl...

Nublets make me go.. "ORLY"

and the wheels on the bus go round and round.

After playing Jiggs alot more you start to realize that of all the characters in brawl she doesn't really get r@ped like she used to by toons like Fox/Falco/Falcon/Shiek.. aka the top tier that was mostly seen in tourneys... however i must also say that as a Jiggs player that really relied on rest for my early gimps in melee the game HAS changed alot for me.

Jiggs can't really DI and outlast opponents like she used to be able to [even though she died at retardedly low %'s], he recovery was gimped w/ the loss of the extra airdodge jump that she no longer has.. and everyone's recovery is quite amazing now so Jigglypuff doesn't really stand in a recovery tier of her own anymore that makes her very appealing...

This all being said.. Jigglypuff IS able to basically combo ANY toon in the game quite well, and one might dare to say that Jiggs along w/ Mario, Luigi, Lucario, ROB, MK, TL, Wolf, ect.. are the best comboers in the game... but wait.. Chozen just said "Combo" in regards to brawl...

YES! F**K YOU ALL if you honestly think combos do not exist in brawl.. follow DI; and L2P.

Basically any toon is capable of comboing in brawl so what is the point of playing Jigglypuff anymore??

IMO she's good, but only for now. The reason that people do so well ATM w/ toons like MK, ROB, Jiggs, Wolf ect is b/c not very many advanced techniques have been discovered yet.. remember that back in the day Zelda [yes, in melee] was considered "high tier". WTF is that...

Do I believe Jigglypuff is a solid character now in comparison to her older "glass canon" self... YES.

Do I believe that Jiggs will still be tournament viable in about 6 months... NO.

What made Jigglypuff so good in melee was the fact that rest was so quick and powerful it was bassically a free KO due to a lack of opponent DI [if the Jiggs player was mindgamey enough to land them consistently enough]. Now she lost that utility and you're honestly better off playing Luigi if you're looking for a toon w/ similar characteristics that Jiggs had in melee.

Just wait.. and mark my words gentlemen...

btw.. i also perdict sometime in the next 6 months our tierlist will look something like this...

MK
DDD
Wolf
ROB
Snake

that is all.

Good Day Sirs.
Following DI and learn2P a combo does not make. The reason "real" combos don't exist in Brawl is because characters can now air-dodge just before hitstun wears off, meaning that
most of the time you can't rely on an attack to combo and even if it does, there's still a high chance your opponent can escape from a follow-up at any time.

The true definition of a combo is hitting the opponent while they're still in hit-stun.

Hmm, speaking of combos, some characters have real combos that involve footstool jumping off the opponent while they're still in a hitstun state. If you land on the ground before the "free fall" time of the footstool jump wears off, you can't tech it. If Jigglypuff has anything that can prop the opponent up into the air, allow her to footstool jump off them, cancel her upwards momentum and reach the ground at the same time the opponent bounces, she should be able to combo into rest or another fast move of this kind.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't have any move like that though. Maybe the very end of pound or something?

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Personally i'm glad that the ability to airdodge was added with its new mechanic into the game... the old system bassically made players that were OVERLYTECHNICAL very good in the tourney scene.. which bassically meant, mindgames mattered very little, if you can do a 0-death combo with Fox/Falco/Falcon/Peach/Marth/Mario, ect and only really need to hit your opponent to start it off.

Look at the "johning" players that claim brawl is a croak of ****... most of them claim it lacks "the depth" of melee IN THE TECHNICAL ASPECT.. and they are saying this, and giving examples of players like M2K [who btw, was fcuking terrible until he became extremely technical.. and didn't even make the FC3 EC team] saying that these "pros" shouldn't be beaten by kids or people new to the game.. but im saying that if you're really the "pro" you say you are.. then your mindgames should be phenomial enough that you should still be quite rediculous at brawl. Many melee players used tech skill as a crutch for lack of mindgames. Brawl>Melee.

This being said.. unless you can jump+airdodge your AD momentum doesn't take you anywhere, and manyatime airdodging does nothing/can't help you whilst you are being combo'd in brawl.. time will tell if someone invents NunchuckCanceling, or TyphoonDashing.. but who knows.

For now, follow that DI, and "create a combo".. no hitlag johns here sir ;p

Good Day Sirs.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
Personally i'm glad that the ability to airdodge was added with its new mechanic into the game... the old system bassically made players that were OVERLYTECHNICAL very good in the tourney scene.. which bassically meant, mindgames mattered very little, if you can do a 0-death combo with Fox/Falco/Falcon/Peach/Marth/Mario, ect and only really need to hit your opponent to start it off.

Look at the "johning" players that claim brawl is a croak of ****... most of them claim it lacks "the depth" of melee IN THE TECHNICAL ASPECT.. and they are saying this, and giving examples of players like M2K [who btw, was fcuking terrible until he became extremely technical.. and didn't even make the FC3 EC team] saying that these "pros" shouldn't be beaten by kids or people new to the game.. but im saying that if you're really the "pro" you say you are.. then your mindgames should be phenomial enough that you should still be quite rediculous at brawl. Many melee players used tech skill as a crutch for lack of mindgames. Brawl>Melee.

This being said.. unless you can jump+airdodge your AD momentum doesn't take you anywhere, and manyatime airdodging does nothing/can't help you whilst you are being combo'd in brawl.. time will tell if someone invents NunchuckCanceling, or TyphoonDashing.. but who knows.

For now, follow that DI, and "create a combo".. no hitlag johns here sir ;p

Good Day Sirs.
this post is dumb for so many reasons. the main reason however is saying brawl is better then melee. Your complants about 0-deaths i find confusing. Since when in a competitive game do we complain about another players skill...? 0-deaths weren't a cheap one button combo (toon links dsmash...) 0-deaths required a certain skill and preciseness. Not to mention it also took a certain skill to avoid them.

next the technical aspects of melee only allowed the game more options. in brawl you are restricted to the same ways of approach every time, which promotes camping. this makes game play boring and repetitive. you should be terrible in melee if your not technical because you arent using the maximum amount options available to attack your opponent. Not to mention i hope ur not one of those idiots who thinks the technical players lacked mindgames. in fact those players probably had the most because they had to calculate multiple steps ahead of time faster then the slower players.

third however mindgames are clearly more prevalent in brawl it is harder to apply them. in melee a player who lacked mindgames could easily be predicted and punished. in brawl you may predict your opponent but after hitting them once you must wait again for another moment to hit them because what... ... ... ?? theres no hit stun aka no combos so i can't hit him twice without him just hitting me first. mindgames = still there but it takes alot longer because after every hit i gotta stop and start control over again.

i believe the lack of hit stun is the biggest downfall in brawl because it allows nubs who mash buttons inbetween hits to ruin the skill of other players. not to mention some people can just spam their attacks and have no lag ever (Metadouche). oh and i almost forgot the fuucking dumb cross stage infinite chain grabs >_>

but honestly clearly brawl is better

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
this post is dumb for so many reasons. the main reason however is saying brawl is better then melee. Your complants about 0-deaths i find confusing. Since when in a competitive game do we complain about another players skill...? 0-deaths weren't a cheap one button combo (toon links dsmash...) 0-deaths required a certain skill and preciseness. Not to mention it also took a certain skill to avoid them.

next the technical aspects of melee only allowed the game more options. in brawl you are restricted to the same ways of approach every time, which promotes camping. this makes game play boring and repetitive. you should be terrible in melee if your not technical because you arent using the maximum amount options available to attack your opponent. Not to mention i hope ur not one of those idiots who thinks the technical players lacked mindgames. in fact those players probably had the most because they had to calculate multiple steps ahead of time faster then the slower players.

third however mindgames are clearly more prevalent in brawl it is harder to apply them. in melee a player who lacked mindgames could easily be predicted and punished. in brawl you may predict your opponent but after hitting them once you must wait again for another moment to hit them because what... ... ... ?? theres no hit stun aka no combos so i can't hit him twice without him just hitting me first. mindgames = still there but it takes alot longer because after every hit i gotta stop and start control over again.

i believe the lack of hit stun is the biggest downfall in brawl because it allows nubs who mash buttons inbetween hits to ruin the skill of other players. not to mention some people can just spam their attacks and have no lag ever (Metadouche). oh and i almost forgot the fuucking dumb cross stage infinite chain grabs >_>

but honestly clearly brawl is better
Sir you make good points.. but i must tell you...

Yes; clearly it requires skill to perform a 0-death chaingrab on FD w/ Marth on Fox/Falco [you live in NJ so i know you've seen M2K], or watch Doll/Wife Uthrow-->Death w/ Peach.

I never said that it does not take skill inorder to DO combos in brawl.. but near the end melee seemed to me much like a mortal combat knockoff, and because of this you were seeing VERY NEW players do well in the tournament scene [and trust me my good sir.. my scene is greatly skilled.. i live in Md/Va] b/c of an excess of technical skill. Experience should be a large factor in any game.. but at the same time ALOT of melee players used tech skill as a crutch to keep up w/ the pros.

Look at Azen. He was/is so good that he can simply win a game [even against pros] by spamming Marth's Fsmash. That is how the game was meant to be played... to trick your opponent or read them so well that you are able to predict exactly where they are going... instead of "reacting" to your opponents **** UPS and WDing back and dong a shine combo. Forward is another extremely excellent example.. He beat ShizWiz @ Inn5 in WestMemphis even though Shiz's Falco is extremely technical [*pound* to all FL smashers.. yall win @ life].. why did this occur.. b/c Shiz was out mindgamed by experience.. not outplayed by a player more technical than him.

Even pros make mistakes my good sir.. so if a random nub is getting smashed by Azen from 0-80 and then the nublet hits Azen once and is able to 0-death him... does that mean the non pro/lacking in 1337ness player is superior to Azen??? **** NO. Now look at Mango.. overly technical... only w/ rest. Other than that.. MINDGAMES.

It means the game was completely imbalanced and basically [near the end] a total of 3 tournament viable characters that stood in concession to win were seen... Fox/Shiek/Marth..

Falcos were often gimped by the Marth's and Shieks.. and though Peach is quite good against Falcon/Falco, her game against a skilled Shiek/Marth/Fox is too much for her turnip spamming hands to handle. Melee was repetitive. Melee was dying. Who honestly wants to play a game that [if you want any chance to win money] causes you to conform to 1 of 3 characters. This isn't street fighter.. its SSB.

Lack of technical skill johns for lack of mindgames DO NOT IMPRESS ME.

Play Snake or Wolf if you want to add some tech skill to a game that [supposedly] rewards camping..

BTW.. do you know how to stop a camper...

STOP CAMPING THEM YOURSELF AND GET IN THEIR FCUKING FACE!

THEY CANT SPAM **** AT YOU IF YOUR FRICKING NEXT TO THEM.

Good Day Sirs.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Dear Ch0zen0ne:

The sir's have got to stop; they're "tired".

<3 Lucrece

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Awwh I like the "sirs". They make everything seem so polite and refined n such ^_^
They must be put to bed and be smothered with a pillow into oblivion. Signature diction has its lifetime, too.

I'm sure he will find equally appealing alternatives.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
How dare you accuse my refined vocabulary which I have so chozen to intercourse within the confines of this sheerly splendid internet caucus of being crass, obtuse, and ill-occasioned.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
Look at Azen. He was/is so good that he can simply win a game [even against pros] by spamming Marth's Fsmash. That is how the game was meant to be played... to trick your opponent or read them so well that you are able to predict exactly where they are going... instead of "reacting" to your opponents **** UPS and WDing back and dong a shine combo. Forward is another extremely excellent example.. He beat ShizWiz @ Inn5 in WestMemphis even though Shiz's Falco is extremely technical [*pound* to all FL smashers.. yall win @ life].. why did this occur.. b/c Shiz was out mindgamed by experience.. not outplayed by a player more technical than him.

Even pros make mistakes my good sir.. so if a random nub is getting smashed by Azen from 0-80 and then the nublet hits Azen once and is able to 0-death him... does that mean the non pro/lacking in 1337ness player is superior to Azen??? **** NO. Now look at Mango.. overly technical... only w/ rest. Other than that.. MINDGAMES.

It means the game was completely imbalanced and basically [near the end] a total of 3 tournament viable characters that stood in concession to win were seen... Fox/Shiek/Marth..

Lack of technical skill johns for lack of mindgames DO NOT IMPRESS ME.

Play Snake or Wolf if you want to add some tech skill to a game that [supposedly] rewards camping..

BTW.. do you know how to stop a camper...

STOP CAMPING THEM YOURSELF AND GET IN THEIR FCUKING FACE!

THEY CANT SPAM **** AT YOU IF YOUR FRICKING NEXT TO THEM.

Good Day Sirs.
first no pro player gets beat by a technical noob. second i have living proof of this because 2 years ago when silent wolf was only technical he sucked. however after acquiring mindgames as well as tech skill he became pro. third it still sounds like your saying the technical players have no mindgames. this can't be possible because in high levels of play you can't hit your opponent without having good mindgames.

now about the abuse of the tier list. this is probably a result of impatience. it it clearly obvious that some characters are better then others (its true in brawl as well) but if people took the time out to just pick the character they like and learn them well they can be just as good as the top tier players. also lets not forget that maybe some people just naturally like the top tier characters not cuz they are gay but because they are fun or were their childhood favorites.

also mango has mindgames wtf were you talking about >_>

and last you can't beat a camper by getting in their face lol thats the whole point of camping to force your opponent to approach you so you have the advantage. the only way to beat camping is probably good comboing... oh wait that doesnt exist anymore does it.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Saved for later response..

My [nearly] finished post was just erased by a computer error.. but I shall outline the points for you...

Tech skill can make up for a lack of mindgames/experience.

Inexperience can lead to top tier characters losing to "lower tier" characters.. and game breaking abilities [such as G&W's chaingrab on Fox/Falco/ect] creates an environment which it becomes viable for these normally inadequate characters to flourish.

And your definition of camping makes you a fool.. or an inexperienced lought...

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
How dare you accuse my refined vocabulary which I have so chozen to intercourse within the confines of this sheerly splendid internet caucus of being crass, obtuse, and ill-occasioned.
Thank you for humoring me ;).

Top Bottom