• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Holy Smash: Exodus *8/7/10* Lake Alfred Florida

-!-

Smash Lord
That is considered coaching. :laugh:
that is ******** :laugh:

no coaching while a match is in progress is more so the rule.
this is what the issue is "THROUGH THE MATCH"

I just want to know what is gonna be determine as "coaching" and how's it gonna be prevented lol cuz if almost anything is gonna be "coaching" then imma be calling that shXt out as soon as someone says something like "hey start lasering" or "dont get near him, hes gonna kill you" so i can get my opponent disqualified for cheating against me! that will make it very easy for me to advance :laugh:

but for anything to be resolve we need Viper (the TO) to discuss this issue with us.

TRA

Smash Journeyman
This is a useless debate about an almost arbitrary addendum. No matter what is said, it's going to be up to the TO.

I feel sorry for Viper. If any issues come up, no matter what he decides, it's going to piss off somebody.

I'm just interpreting the "rule" as a warning to spectators to chillax. It should probably just be more of a courtesy than an actual rule, but there you go.

On another note: How nerdy is it to bring a girl to a Brawl Tournament? Just curious....

Time
Runs
Away

-!-

Smash Lord
lol yea thats why im waiting for Viper to tell exactly what is what and all that stuff we need to know, i dont wanna get disqualified for a friend telling me "hey dont go snake on this one" i just want all the info so i myself can call out when my opponent is cheating lol, and it doesnt matter if i like the TOs decision or not... hes the TO period! hope he has some time to explain all this stuff.

and its not nerdy dude lol i dont think it is, and at the last Holy tournament there where quite a few girls there.

gallax

Smash Hero
As long as the timer isnt running then a match isnt in progress so any advice you give is fine. But, as long as the timer is running then you cannot coach. Other than that its up to the TO to decide what he wants to keep under control as far as coaching.

My advice for Viper: give a warning first so that no one is caught offguard.

and to m!x: you as a player wont get dq'd. its the coach who will be punished.

-!-

Smash Lord
lol so if the person isn't entering the tournament how can They get punish? Get kicked out?

I'll just wait for Viper

gallax

Smash Hero
Trust me when i say me and Viper have already gone through this rule together. So what i say is what we have agreed upon already.

in the case that someone has already been knocked out of the tourney, has guaranteed pot, are not entered, or just has no stake in the tourney they will be kicked out and if they give more problems banned from future events held at the venue.

-!-

Smash Lord
ohh lol you never said you have made arrangements with him. So you can go over the whole rule.
  • Ok so obviously after a match I could tell anything to my friend, cuz the clock is not ticking right?
  • And no matter what, the player cant get punish if someone is "coaching" him, am I correct?
  • And "coaching" will be classified as anyone that, while the clock is running, tells a player almost anything except something along the lines of "you can still win/don't give up/its in the bag"?
  • If I'm playing, and someone starts coaching... should I pause the game and report him? and when, say you come in, the person receives a warning will you stay and make sure no one keeps coaching and if that person does it again and they're in the tournament say in winners, what will be the punishment for that? knocking them to losers?
  • Just to make sure, each person gets one warning??? or how is that gonna work???
  • is there any rule about trash talking??? that can be annoying for a player as well, it can mess with their head and prevent a fair match.

EDIT: on the first post, it says that a player will forfeit the set if coaching doesn't stop after the warning... just pointing that out.

Exdeath

Smash Master
ohh lol you never said you have made arrangements with him. So you can go over the whole rule.

• [1]Ok so obviously after a match I could tell anything to my friend, cuz the clock is not ticking right?
    [2]And no matter what, the player cant get punish if someone is "coaching" him, am I correct?
    [3]And "coaching" will be classified as anyone that, while the clock is running, tells a player almost anything except something along the lines of "you can still win/don't give up/its in the bag"?
    [4]If I'm playing, and someone starts coaching... should I pause the game and report him? and when, say you come in, the person receives a warning will you stay and make sure no one keeps coaching and if that person does it again and they're in the tournament say in winners, what will be the punishment for that? knocking them to losers?
    [5]Just to make sure, each person gets one warning??? or how is that gonna work???
    [6]is there any rule about trash talking??? that can be annoying for a player as well, it can mess with their head and prevent a fair match.
I don't necessarily speak for Viper, but I addressed your points with what I know:

(1) Once you sit down for your set (once the match begins), you should not receive any advice.

(2) Generally speaking, both players are punished.

(3) See (1).

(4) Pause the game and a TO will come. Keep the pause rule(s) in mind as well, though, so make sure that it's worth overriding that.

(5) See (2).

(6) If you are asked to stop trash talking or interacting with the players by a participating player or TO, you must stop or you will be punished.

-!-

Smash Lord
I don't necessarily speak for Viper, but I addressed your points with what I know:

(1) Once you sit down for your set (once the match begins), you should not receive any advice.

(2) Generally speaking, both players are punished.

(3) See (1).

(4) Pause the game and a TO will come. Keep the pause rule(s) in mind as well, though, so make sure that it's worth overriding that.

(5) See (2).

(6) If you are asked to stop trash talking or interacting with the players by a participating player or TO, you must stop or you will be punished.

lol No offense dude but I wanna hear from Gallax which is the one that talked with Viper... I would really like Viper to clear things up buuuut he hasn't posted anything in a while.

Plus most of your post contradicts what Gallax said already... my previous post is to gallax so he can explain everything that has to do with the Rule.

gallax

Smash Hero
  • Ok so obviously after a match I could tell anything to my friend, cuz the clock is not ticking right?
Correct.

• And no matter what, the player cant get punish if someone is "coaching" him, am I correct?
Thinking in absolute terms is a bad way to think when it comes to rules. There may be an exception somewhere but more than likely the player will not get punished since he isnt coaching.

• And "coaching" will be classified as anyone that, while the clock is running, tells a player almost anything except something along the lines of "you can still win/don't give up/its in the bag"?
Again using the terms "almost anything" makes it seem like spectators cant do anything mid-match. Things like "Run away laser!!!" is coaching while "Be patient!" or "Just go camp mode!" are moreso advice and less specific. "you can still win/don't give up/its in the bag"? are still fine.

• If I'm playing, and someone starts coaching... should I pause the game and report him? and when, say you come in, the person receives a warning will you stay and make sure no one keeps coaching and if that person does it again and they're in the tournament say in winners, what will be the punishment for that? knocking them to losers?
If you believe someone is Coaching and affecting gameplay you should go report it immediately. Get a spectator or yell out for a TO. As a player if you feel like you need to pause then do it as a last resort, but try to make it so that its not a game changing pause. Be frugal with the pause.

A warning will be given first and always. If in the tourney and they do it again they forfeit their next match (starting the set 0-1) and then if they do it again they forfeit their next set. This is regardless of whether they are in winners or losers.

The TO will stay there for the rest of the set to ensure no one violates it again. Exception being something needing their attention like a fight(irl) or a ruckus somewhere. But the TO should remain there. If you want the TO's presence at any match regardless you have the right to ask for it. Even without the new coaching rule.

• Just to make sure, each person gets one warning??? or how is that gonna work???
The coach gets a warning first.

• is there any rule about trash talking??? that can be annoying for a player as well, it can mess with their head and prevent a fair match.
No rule agaisnt trash talking per se. Since its player vs player and not spectator vs player. If a spectator is being disruptive though the TO has a right to warn the spectator or any greater punishment that they think is justified.

EDIT: on the first post, it says that a player will forfeit the set if coaching doesn't stop after the warning... just pointing that out.
Lemme take a look, but the player WILL NOT get punished. Simple reason is that they could be getting coached but dont want the help. Kinda like the spectator sabatoging the his friends opponent.

-!-

Smash Lord
Again using the terms "almost anything" makes it seem like spectators cant do anything mid-match. Things like "Run away laser!!!" is coaching while "Be patient!" or "Just go camp mode!" are more so advice and less specific. "you can still win/don't give up/its in the bag"? are still fine.
but "be patient" and "Just go camp mode" (which is the same as "run away and laser") are the same as coaching though... they're telling them what they should do, thinking for them. if this things are said after the match is done, in preparation for the next, then i can see that being ok, but through a match it is still consider coaching. spectators cant really say anything to a player that gives that player a hint of what things he should do different or better, what things he should do to approach or make it harder for the opponent to get close to him. if a player is losing his cool and needs to be more patient/cautious its up to himself to realize that... not someone else telling him "stop making mistakes", "don't roll", "don't get frustrated" etc.. that's why the only things that the crowed can say is like "dont give up", "you got this", "bring it back" those are cheers.

The coach gets a warning first.
I know that, but say if someone gets a warning, and they do something again on a different match... will they get punished or just get another warning at first???

No rule agaisnt trash talking per se. Since its player vs player and not spectator vs player. If a spectator is being disruptive though the TO has a right to warn the spectator or any greater punishment that they think is justified.
I think Trash talking should be ban as well, its not much different then coaching. if someone is trash talking when im playing, its gonna make me lose concentration i.e. and give my opponent a better chance at beating me. It's the same like coaching, it would be player & coach vs player sooooo for trash talking it would be player & trash talking vs player. just makes sense to do something about trash talking to, to make things more comfortable for the players.

Emo^Wolf

Smash Journeyman
LmaO u guys are too funny. I'm pretty sure this coaching thing is mainly because the match I had with gallax. The way u guys are making it seem is like u can't say nothing at all. Cux mostly everything will fall in the catagory coaching. These look like people just wanna John incase they loose or anything. U guys are nottttt gonna stop everyone from randomly shouting shxt out. Your not nd its hilarious Ur trying to lol u might as well put everyone match in a one ROom one tv that way no one wines. Its smashhhh u get in play, win nd that's it. ur blowingg this wayy out of proportion. Ur gonna kick people out for saying something lol wowww <_< I don't see why u guys are trying to make this tournament complicated. They've run fine until someonee made a huger deal about it. When have u guys heard of a tournament banning coaching BUT allowing phrases that are advise. if that's gonna happen I want a paper that tells me phrases that I can use nd ones I can't lmao. @viper uve run these tpurneys good. Ur complicating this. ur NoT gonna stop people from shouting nd saying things in that catagory. Banning coaching. might as well bann trash talk cux that's gay shxt lol then bann all other lil things. In a tourney match Ur playing a complete diffrent level. U gotta deal with the bs trash talk people in the background shouting shxt. Its partttt of smashing. U want to play where no one says anything sit home nd play house friendlies with a person lol. Oh nd xdeath when ur loosing friendlies do u quit to dawggg? I'm just curious random but curious lol so yea I'm pretty sure I made my point. Viper sick tournaments. This one is sounding lamMEeeeeeeeeeee Ur guys points are blank. No ones done this nd its lame. Ima to now nd smsh but ill tell em they can't Tlk lol laterrrrrr dawgss

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
OK guys I was running a tournament from 3 till 8 and i just got done with dinner so i will address this situation .

Coaching will be a person sitting next to or directly behind calmly talking that player through the match.
a player can ask for and get advice before or in between games.

this will be ban i dont care about people yelling up tilt or spamnado more that is a joke to me and trash talk all you want but respect the church if you can manage it. it will be up to me to make the call.

go checkout my thread in the results thread about the Niglet Rumble Dos held it today at the church and say something idk what lol

-!-

Smash Lord
So Coaching will be determined as a person that talks a player through a match. Just like I thought from the beginning lol that makes more sense then prohibiting everyone from saying simple sentences cuz it'll be cheating. I doubt anyone will sit and coach someone :laugh:

ok I wanna play a certain someone if he does end up coming...

HYPE!!!

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
So if I said, "stay calm" "don't rush" is that considered coaching? That is giving advice if some1 plays too aggressive and doesn't realize it.

What is the debate against coaching? That it gives the player an unfair advantage? The same can be said about trash talking right? So I'm confused as to what the debate over this is. Coaching is allowed in every other game, halo,cod, etc. Why is there a discussion on this? I'm not sure.
But hey... there are ways around this. Coach in Spanish :p

-!-

Smash Lord
lol based on Vipers post, coaching is when someone tells a player what to do through a match. But no one does thay.

And through my smash career I've never been to a tournament that bans coaching lmao if there has been one ohh please tell.

btw dew that Spanish idea is great lol

-!-

Smash Lord
So if I said, "stay calm" "don't rush" is that considered coaching? That is giving advice if some1 plays too aggressive and doesn't realize it.

What is the debate against coaching? That it gives the player an unfair advantage? The same can be said about trash talking right? So I'm confused as to what the debate over this is. Coaching is allowed in every other game, halo,cod, etc. Why is there a discussion on this? I'm not sure.
But hey... there are ways around this. Coach in Spanish :p
lol dont worry dew dawggg the debate was lame. overacting cux people would think its Cheating Cheating!!! lol nd smash is also a teams game too so it dont make a diff, but what viper said is much better. viper ur tournaments are sickkkkkkk. oh nd the discusion here was cux people overeactt but not to worry dewww u sickkkkkkk lol

-Superwolf- on Mix account

JoeCool33

Smash Cadet
Coaching=Punishment=Unnecessary?...Just my opinion..No other tournies have coaching banned...and most of the time, coaching doesn't help the player, it just makes him lose focus on the match..but whatevs, your choice..u

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
the last Holy Smash ran smooth with 13 setups and the A.C. was blowing hard all day that kept the venue cool. The tourney had over 40 people at the venue and 33 entered brawl singles. \

this one will be better.

-!-

Smash Lord
yea no lie it was ran extremely good, and that AC is insanely good... I was actually cold through the whole tournament lol the place is so spacious as well, with extra tables and chairs.

MVD

Smash Master
WAIT!!!! there is a pool table?!?!?! I am so glad im going with Riddle :D

-!-

Smash Lord
Yes there is.... and I totally forgot about it on the last tournament... I wanted to play so badly :( wont make the same mistake again! :mad:

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
ey viper, if you go to the tallahassee tourney on 8/21 can you keep me updated on the ride situation? id like to catch one with you guys if at all possible :laugh:

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Def gotta DJ an event called GRAD BASH & I have 2 move out on this day :-( I can't come anymore

Top Bottom