• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you pick your current main charater?

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
Before I had always mained as Samus and used Bowser as secondary, but now I've switched to all out Bowser and everyone is laughing at me...until they get owned by the "slowest" character in the game, and now im training with him a lot more so I can enter the tournaments around Ottawa.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I pretty much didn't care at first, who I was back in SSB64 days, until I decided to play the least used character among my friends, Link. Somehow, after flattening out a few bumps, he became my best character, and I could **** all my friends with him.

Of course when SSBM came out, I continued to play as him and he's been my main since.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
ive been playing forever... my main remains as that black square in the lower left corner
and my secondary the black square in the lower right corner

but yeah, to tell the truth, whenever i get roy, i press b and then a again really really fast to make sure nobody saw or heard what happened. other than that... yup

kithkin

Smash Champion
i personally chose mine (falco) cause i always liked fast characters, and i always likde falco, seems like a great fit.

and recently i pulled sheik as a second, again cause of speed.

Lies_and_Truth

Smash Apprentice
i love'd the metroid series ALOT....so i chose samus.....she was very clunky and weird, soon i noticed that samus was a high tier char....i watched aftermath's video and found out the amazing power of samus.....ive stuck with her ever since

c0nker

Smash Apprentice
a gamecube randomly appeared in my house for a week (appears my bro's friend let us borrow it the very night i had a dream that i finally got one.. Haha), and after a few minutes of mindgasming, and playing some mario sunshine, i was like...wow. i wish that new smash game were here so i could try i- then i looked and saw smash! cries of joy later, it had a few characters unlocked already, including the doc. I chose the doc, cause i liked his black coat, and used him for a bit..i then saw mewtwo and exploded..realizing he sucked, i switched to fox, my main from smash 1... i switched to falco for a week, then went back to fox again.. after a few embarrassing defeats, i've switched back to the doc being my main, with many many secondaries.

The doc is just too much fun to use, and has very interesting moves to string together with his perfect weight and speed. i also mess around with fox, marth, and ness.. as well as pretty much every other character with a little less efficiency.. it's a long, weird, twisting story in my case. XD

bork1bork2bork3

Smash Rookie
I started out with falco, and got ***** 24/7. I switched to yoshi ( who i still use as a secondary) then peach, who i used until i was bored to tears. Then I saw someone whining on the gamefaqs forums about the IC's. I saw a couple of videos, and was hooked. Ive been using them ever since

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Well, i took a look at the tier list and being a small n00b i was like... OMGZORZS IF I TAKE A TOP TIER I COULD BE T3H PWNZ3RZ L337... so after not being able to move my fingers for either character.. (i'll freely admit that) i decided that Ganon was my best bet... however i still didn't like being that slow but i had gotten familiar with his move set so capt. falcon was and is my choice for main. :) Peace Love And Gap

ronin899

Smash Cadet
It is pretty much because luigi has always been my character of choice in many games like Mario kart and mario party. I decided to try him out and pretty much went from there. Luigi FTW!

drummer_kid

Smash Cadet
i main doc because i like how he moves(except his recovery)

i also like him because of the awsome cape, fist and pills

phantasm42

Smash Rookie
I started maining with fox just because he was one of the best characters before you start unlocking new ones. When I got falco I tried him but I couldn't get used to the shine and dropped him. Right now I use mostly fox and am in the process of learning sheik. Oh, and to complicate things further my main for ssb64 was link.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
I picked Link because I've been a huge Zelda fan from the beggining. I played with him so much that before I knew it I had all the charactors! Then I got all 290 trophies and beat all the event matches and stuff. I like unleashing tons of long range moves on my opponents at the beggining of a match, and then attacking them with Links awesome close range moves!:)

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Kirby was my original main, but he sucked too bad. lol... Switched to mewtwo after I unlocked him, sufferred one massive defeat... realized that mewtwo was overrated. Then, I began a massive search for a new main. The candidates that popped up were Peach and Marth, so I used them as a double main pending further decision. I got a stitchface early on in my decision making process, which tilted the scales slightly in peach's favor. :) ... Never stopped playing marth, so I kept him as a backup for quite a while...
Later on, I decided to pick up fox (this was shortly after I found smashboards). I began seriously training with him just before I went to my first tournament, and used him as a backup for all this time...
I recently decided to use Peach Marth and Fox as a triple main, and everyone else as a backup, because I <3 diversity... lol...
so, over time, my mains went like this:

.......kirby....mewtwo....peach/marth.....peach....peach/marth/fox

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
When I played Smash for the first time I had just finished beating OOT for the second time and I loved playing as Link
I started using him, but I didnt know any of the advanced moves at that moment so I sucked.Bad.
I then switched to Samus and Peach(my secondaries) and when I came here I read the guides and realized all the advanced moves
So I picked up Link again
And I have been playing better than ever :D

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
What are you talking about. It's obviously Mewtwo.

I started Peach for her dsmash, which I used to spam like a *****. Theeeeeeeeen I watched Wife play =)

hugQ Cortex

Master
My main now is Samus, but it used to be Shiek. Why? Because Shiek was the character I would win with the most [which I now realize was a lame reason to main a character], but I started getting INCREDIBLY bored with her. Consistantly owning your brothers and/or sister (I have two bros and one sis who ONLY play low tier chars (Roy, Luigi, and Pikachu) lol) with Shiek is pretty low and boring. So I would also go random characters almost all of the time because the matches [FFA - 3 stock] would be closer and it was WAAAY more fun that way.

Then I stopped frequently playing the game for about two years [junior and senior hs years], and one day, near the beginning of the second semester of my college freshman year, I was doing laundry and I heard Smash noises flowing from an open dorm room nearby. So I walk in and instantly befriended like 4 of my fellow Bowles Hall smashers. Up until the end of the 2nd semester, I would only use Shiek because I let pride control me [I'd be like, "I suck with everyone else so I'll only use Shiek, even if we're just playing for fun [lame logic]." I would use Jiggly Puff as my secondary [my break from Shiek], because I loved resting roll-spammers [which hints at our skill level of the time, haha]. And not having a Game Cube at my dorm room, I couldn't really work on new characters on my own [again, lame pride usually didn't let me practice my new chars with my friends. Man, I was so dumb to think that way]. I would also only use Shiek for the crew battles that our rival dorms [Bowles Hall vs Unit 2!!] had with one another because she was my "best." My buddy Danny, aka Snap, from the opposing Unit 2 Crew, was the first real pro I've ever played, but I was so noobish at the time that I couldn't appreciate all of the awesome techniques he did because they'd be so subtle to me, since I was the suxxorz. He still does crazy things that just boggle my mind.

In that same semester, I ventured to my first San Jose state biweekly with two of my Bowles Hall buddies, Izzy and Eric, and I was amazed by King and Silent Spectre and several other good smashers. My Shiek was absolutely ***** by Nekurbis [Curtis'] Shiek [he didn't chain grab, but opened my eyes to short hopping and l-cancling with Shiek].

***Summer break came***. Izzy, my Bowles floormate from last year, mains Samus and it would always be fun to watch him use bomb jumping/grapple recovery and I thought Samus was the sickest/funnest character in the game, what with all her beams, missiles, bombs, AND A GRAPPLE!! So I had a ton of fun playing as her with my newbie bros and sis. Plus, it was a fair matchup for them at the time since I was terrible with Samus and the game :)

So I joined Smashboards and searched youtube for "samus" and "combo video" and I was pretty impressed by All Wessed Up. At the time, I thought that in order to be good with Samus, one had to learn how to SWD perfectly and be able to pull out the Extender. Dyna Dash's video also left an impression on me that the SWD was too good. So I started practicing all the wrong things for Samus and neglected other, more important techniques, some of which were too subtle for me too see from Dyna and Wes's combo vids. I'd be like, "OMG, I CAN SWD 5 TIMES IN A ROW, I'M SO GOOD! LOLOLOLZ!". I also thought I was pretty good with like Fox CF and GW since I practiced them too and I considered them my other "mains." I was a fool.

I realized I had the wrong idea of how to play Samus until I met and saw HugS play at 0C2. The first time I saw his Samus was in a doubles match. The first thing he did was do a single jab, and he just stood there on the Battlefield stage for about a few seconds, absorbing the position of his opponents and teammate, Omar, while they were frantically dancing all over the platforms. I fell in love with that one jab he randomly did in the beginning. Why? Because he made me realize that you do not have to be blindingly fast and flashy in SSBM in order to compete. HugS just amazed me that day with his relaxed yet precise and reactive style throughout the rest of his matches. His edge-guarding vs Mew2King in the Superfriends vs J-City crew battle blew me away. I was just like, "Wow, HugS is the smartest smash player I have ever seen." Wes's and Dyna Dash's combo videos [and my buddy Izzy] inspired me to start using Samus, but it was really HugS who inspired me to _continue_ using Samus.

After 0C2, I had decided to abandon practicing the SWD [I would still use it occasionally just for fun], and do away with the Extender. I thought, "Why try to be flashy and overwhelmingly fast when you can play efficiently and calmly?" I started watching videos of HugS and other Samus players online [mostly HugS really] and see how to REALLY play Samus. Samus is what made me start playing SSBM again. Until now, I still continue playing as her headstrong, because I don't think I have as many mindgames/experience with other characters, and because she seems to be so well-rounded and fitting for my style.

Wow, I wrote a lot. If you read all of that, you are awesome!

Oh, and I would also practice my SHFFLing with Marth. Shiek and DK are fun too. That is all :) :)

Edit: I'll probably come back and add in some more funny side adventures to my epic story, since I wrote it from the heart the first time ;) ;)

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
My main used to be Shiek, because Shiek was the character I would win with the most [which I now realize was a lame reason to main a character], but I started getting INCREDIBLY bored with her. Consistantly owning your brothers and/or sister (I have two bros and one sis who only play low tier chars lol) with Shiek is low and pretty boring lol. So I would also go random characters frequently because it was waaaaay more fun that way.

Then I stopped frequently playing the game for about two years [junior and senior hs years], and one day, near the beginning of the second semester of my college freshman year, I was doing laundry and I heard Smash noises flowing from an open dormroom door nearby. So I walk in and instantly got friendly with like 4 of my fellow Bowles Hall smahers. Up until the end of the 2nd semester, I would only use Shiek because I let pride control me [I'd be like, "I suck with everyone else so I'll just use Shiek [lame]." I would use Jiggly Puff as my secondary [my break from Shiek], because I loved resting roll-spammers [which hints at our skill level of the time]. And not having a Game Cube at my dorm room, I couldn't really work on new characters on my own [again, lame pride didn't let me practice my new chars with my friends. Man, I was so dumb to think that way]. I would also only use Shiek for the crew battles our rival dorms [Bowles Hall vs Unit 2!!] had with one another because she was my "best." My buddy Danny, aka Snap, from the opposing Unit 2 Crew, was the first real pro I've ever played, but I was so noobish at the time that I couldn't appreciate all of the awesome techniques he did because they'd be so subtle to me, since I was the suxxorz. He still does crazy things that just boggle my mind.

In that same semester, I went to a San Jose state biweekly and was amazed by King and Silent Spectre and several other good smashers. And my Shiek was absolutely ***** by Nekurbis [Curtis'] Shiek [he didn't chain grab, but opened my eyes to short hopping and l-cancling with Shiek]

Summer break came. One of my good Berkeley buds and smasher, Izzy, mains Samus and it'd always be fun to watch him bomb jumping/grapple recovery and I thought Samus was the sickest/funnest character in the game, what with all her beams, missiles, bombs, AND A GRAPPLE. So I had a ton of fun playing as her with my newbie bros and sis. Plus, it was a fair matchup for them at the time since I was terrible with Samus and the game :)

So I joined Smashboards and searched youtube for "samus" and "combo video" and I was pretty impressed by All Wessed Up. At the time, I thought that in order to be good with Samus, one had to learn how to SWD perfectly and be able to pull out the Extender. Dyna Dash's video also left an impression on me that the SWD was too good. So I started practicing all the wrong things for Samus and neglecting other techniques. I'd be like, "OMG, I CAN SWD 5 TIMES IN A ROW, I'M SO GOOD! LOLOLOLZ!". I also thought I was good with like Fox CF and GW since I practiced them too and I considered them my "mains." I was a fool.

I realized I had the wrong idea of a good Samus player until I saw HugS play at 0C2. The first time I saw his Samus was in a doubles match. And the first thing he did was simply do a jab, and he stood still for about a few seconds while his teammate, Omar, and their opponents were frantically dancing all over the stage [battlefield platforms, HugS was at the bottom, lol, I can't believe I still remember all this]. I fell in love with that one jab he randomly did in the beginning. Why? Because he made me realize that you do not have to be blindingly fast and flashy in SSBM in order to compete. HugS just amazed me that day with a relaxed yet precise and reactive character movement throughout the rest of his matches. His edge-guarding vs Mew2King in the Superfriends vs J-City crew battle blew me away. I was just like, "Wow, HugS is the smartest smash player I have ever seen." Wes's combo video [and my buddy Izzy] inspired me to start using Samus, but it was really HugS who inspired me to continue using Samus.

After 0C2, I had decided to abandon practicing the SWD [I would still use it occasionally just for fun], and do away with the Extender. I thought, "Why try to be flashy and overwhelmingly fast when you can play efficiently and calmly?" I started watching videos of HugS and other Samus players online [mostly HugS really] and see how to REALLY play Samus. Samus is what made SSBM freggin fun for me. Until now, I still continue playing Samus headstrong, because I don't think I have as many mindgames/experience with other characters, and because Samus seems to be so well-rounded and fitting for my style.

Oh, and I would also practice my SHFFLing with Marth. Luigi and Yoshi are awesome too. That is all :) :)

Edit: I'll probably come back and add in some funny stuff to my epic story, since I wrote it from the heart the first time ;) ;)

¡This post is gold!
Sincerely, you really feel passion.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
hah, i wish i had a story that epic about my character...mine simply goes,
i used to main pikachu from ssb64, because pokemon was the greatest thing ever. i unlocked jiggy and used her quite a bit too for the same reason. by the time melee came out, though, i had gotten over pokemon (still great games, though...)...i used pikachu for the first few years i had the game, simply cause i was so good with him already...although i could use almost every character decently enough to beat my friends. then a short time ago i realize pikachu sucked alot more than in the last game, and there were better characters. i began using jiggy alot more, and i completely owned with the puff. (at least my friends, i havent been to any tourneys yet...). i also got out ganon, because one day we all used random chars we never use, and everyone was amazed at how good i was with him. so i use him alot too.
not an epic story though. no fun.

Kep

Smash Rookie
Cool! I'm awesome!

My main(s) came about through some sort of confusing shenanigans I don't understand.
I'm not going to bother listing them beyond Doc/Falcon though, since I don't want to type out half the characters.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
I pick someone and get better with them, otherwise if I wanted to be really really good I suppose I use Fox? Kidding..>.> But yea I usually choose the lower tiers and try to at least somewhat master them. Or get and idea how to use them. But I choose Link over anyone any day.

meh.

Smash Rookie
doc

doc is my main.

this is because i am a lady and ladies can't get enough of doctors ;]

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm using pika because he owned in the first smash and I was disappointed that he didn't in the current Smash so I thought I'd make him own.

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
I thought marth sucked at first (this was before I got into competetive smash) because I beat him to unlock him so easy, but I started playing with him a little bit and I found out I loved everything about Marth. His combos flow so great. :)

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
Yeah at one point before playing Tapion Kirby, Zelda, MGW, Bowser, and Mewtwo were all my best characters. The day after I played him Fox was my best, and still remains undisputedly my best, because he's now #1 baby!

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
I can't decide between Samus or Falco since I play both pretty well.

But I choose those because Samus has been a long time player (since ssb64 even though I didn't own the game) and Falco was inspired by SHB, shine combo, etc.

Top Bottom