• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does a smash 4 player swich to project m?

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
I have decided that smash 4 is my least favorite smash game. But no one has brawl tornaments anymore so I downloaded project m and started playing that. Then some fox player came and did all sorts of weird **** with his reflector and I got screwed. Then I relised that I am going to need a completely different play style for this new game.

Are there any guides from swiching from brawl/smash 4 to Melee/project m?

Do you have any advice?

Just play a lot, read up on PM/Melee tech and movement options and try to get used to the physics engine. Other then that watch some high level sonic players and really analyze what they are doing and why.

Here's a sonic tutorial for 3.5

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

The first thing to understand is the difference between a 10 frame buffer and a 0 frame buffer.

Then play pm and get used to the physics.
Get used to characters.

Once you're comfortable you can learn techs.

Last edited:

Cis

Smash Rookie
Welcome to Project M! Just play the game a lot, honestly. Read up on matchups, watch streams, find out the important tech to learn and practice it. This game takes awhile to get the hang of, but I'm adamant that once you get the hang of it, you'll have more fun than you'd have in any other Smash game. Are you playing on netplay or with real people?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
The buffer is the biggest thing to get used to.

Once you get used to basic options you can get used to the rest from there. Don't worry about tech skill until you feel comfortable with movement.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Never thought I would hear someone like Brawl over Smash 4.

Last edited:

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
Never thought I would head someone like Brawl over Smash 4.
Brawl had more tech, cooler characters, better stages, better modes, better menus, better asthetics, less campy, superior edge game, and the online was more fun. Why would anyone like smash 4 over brawl? I can understand preferring melee but why would you prefer smash 4?

Narpas_sword

Brawl had more tech, cooler characters, better stages, better modes, better menus, better asthetics, less campy, superior edge game, and the online was more fun. Why would anyone like smash 4 over brawl? I can understand preferring melee but why would you prefer smash 4?
no tripping.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Well I do agree Smash 4's menu is terrible.. I hate that thing. So overly complicated. But Brawl is slow and floaty and campy. I dunno about the tech, don't play it enough to know. And yeah, no tripping. And characters are like.. All their accept wolf and the pokemon.

Last edited:

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
no tripping.
Tripping is very rare (unless you are dash dancing) and goes unpunished most of the time because it is unexpected. Honestly I have only lost to tripping once with hundreds of matches. People make it out like its a big deal but it really isn't .

How is brawl slower or campier then smash 4.
Here is why smash 4 is the campy one:
1 Shields come out faster, recharge faster, and are harder to break.

2 rolls and spotdoges are much more powerful

3 there is less tech

4 the characters have less options to work with and have a harder time using pressure.

5 hitting a sheild is always bad in smash 4

6 all the characters have top tier recovery.

7 their are less true combos

8 airials were nerfed while shields were buffed

9 sheild stun is non existent

10 rolls are impossible to punish without a read.

11 no chain grabs

12 no Dacus

13 No metaknight

Last edited:

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
Well I do agree Smash 4's menu is terrible.. I hate that thing. So overly complicated. But Brawl is slow and floaty and campy. I dunno about the tech, don't play it enough to know. And yeah, no tripping. And characters are like.. All their accept wolf and the pokemon.
You forgot snake and the ice climbers :/.

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, shows you how much I play that game x] But even still, I can actually stand to play Smash 4, I just straight up will not play Brawl unless we want to laugh at how slow and random it is. Yes, My friends and I have done that. =3

Also, the tripping robbed me of a win at a smash tourny. Never went to a Brow tourny again after that.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Never thought I would hear someone like Brawl over Smash 4.
There are people, iirc Hylian prefers Brawl.
Why would anyone like smash 4 over brawl?
It's simple, because it's fun... But that's not why we're here.

Pretty much what everyone else said, just keep playing. Start off with basic stuff so you can get a feel for the game, then gradually tac on a few things here and there. The point is to just be mindful of what you're doing and pay attention. Over time you'll improve.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Just play the game man :)

Watch matches of skilled players using your character because sometimes they do things that you might not think of doing. Plus it's just good in general because you can always learn things through match analysis.

Practice your tech skills of course, but this does not only mean learning things like wavedashing and l-cancelling. This also means being able to do exact what you want to do with your character.

Practicing your movement is very important. Dash dancing is useful by allowing you to stay mobile while in the neutral game. Then when you can wavedash consistently, combine it with dash dancing.

Learn what properties all the moves of your arsenal have. Your kill moves and your combo moves, your projectiles and other attacks. Things like what % they kill at, combo at/until, are key in knowing how to play your character at the most efficient level.

Basically, just practice.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
Tripping is very rare (unless you are dash dancing) and goes unpunished most of the time because it is unexpected. Honestly I have only lost to tripping once with hundreds of matches. People make it out like its a big deal but it really isn't .

How is brawl slower or campier then smash 4.
Here is why smash 4 is the campy one:
1 Shields come out faster, recharge faster, and are harder to break.

2 rolls and spotdoges are much more powerful

3 there is less tech

4 the characters have less options to work with and have a harder time using pressure.

5 hitting a sheild is always bad in smash 4

6 all the characters have top tier recovery.

7 their are less true combos

8 airials were nerfed while shields were buffed

9 sheild stun is non existent

10 rolls are impossible to punish without a read.

11 no chain grabs

12 no Dacus

13 No metaknight
I think having no chaingrabs is a godsend, given how many characters in Brawl were hurt by cheap chaingrabs that were impossible to escape. You think Smash 4 is worse for not having chaingrabs? I think its better simply because alot of lopsided matches(Dedede vs DK) were no longer decided by a single grab.

Besides, you could make the argument that Smash 4 replaced chaingrabs with throw setups into combos.

And what do you mean by "No Metaknight?" He's still in Smash 4's roster and he's stilll decent. He's just a mid-tier character now rather then a god tier character that dominated the rest of the roster.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Besides, you could make the argument that Smash 4 replaced chaingrabs with throw setups into combos.
Not really... every smash game you could already do that, Smash 4 just makes it more important. For example, Marth up-throw -> up-tilt is possible in Melee and PM.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
Get used to Wavedashing, Wavelanding, L-Canceling, and the fact that your reflexes need to be on point every match (especially in tournaments).

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
smash 4 has yet to have a toxic late metagame that mostly stems from the ruleset attempting to balance around its best character and thus accidentally creating another, just-as-miserable character on the same level

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Well, as a Megaman fan, finally seeing him in Smash is awesome. Also, Smash 4 Roy is lovely and viable, but then again so is P:M Roy.

The few things I would want to incorporate from Smash 4 into other Smash games would probably be things like 8-player Smash, Character Roster is an obvious one (we lost Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Snake unfortunately) with some newcomers having rather unique kits (Megaman, Pacman, Duck Hunt, Villager, Shulk, Ryu, etc).

I think that might be it in terms of what I find appealing about Smash 4, with emphasis on the unique playstyles of certain characters.

Gameplay-wise though, sometimes Smash 4's Buffering system feels too gratuitous for me. I find myself buffering moves and dodges by mistake and being punished for it. Although the inverse can be true for Sm4sh players coming to P:M or Melee in which they find their inputs aren't being buffered, and wonder why their characters won't respond. It's been a while since I've last played Brawl extensively, so I can't remember if I had similar experiences with it.

Rizner

Smash Ace
At least we can all agree 64 is the best.

I initially came from brawl, and just started playing it. Eventually got down tech and options that weren't around before, but most if it came from playing in lots of friendlies and tournament matches. Just start playing and enjoying the game and you'll be good

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
smash 4 has yet to have a toxic late metagame that mostly stems from the ruleset attempting to balance around its best character and thus accidentally creating another, just-as-miserable character on the same level
Sm4sh is boring as sin though.

OP, it would help to get Melee and grind tech on that as well. Not only is Melee fun to play as well but PM tech is easier than Melee's, so it'll feel like a breeze after grinding it on the older game.

You definitely want to learn how to L-cancel and then SHFFL. Don't grind tech skill and spam it mindlessly without knowing how to use it. And don't feel bad when it takes a while to get stuff down, this stuff can be hard. But it's very satisfying when you finally do get it down.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Only if you find it boring...

OP, it would help to get Melee and grind tech on that as well. Not only is Melee fun to play as well but PM tech is easier than Melee's, so it'll feel like a breeze after grinding it on the older game.

You definitely want to learn how to L-cancel and then SHFFL. Don't grind tech skill and spam it mindlessly without knowing how to use it. And don't feel bad when it takes a while to get stuff down, this stuff can be hard. But it's very satisfying when you finally do get it down.
Nah, it's better to just practice tech in PM. You can't B-Reverse, or Wavebounce in Melee. And what if OP plays a character not in Melee? Assuming they main Sonic, he's not in Melee, and I don't think there's any character like him in Melee.

If you want to play Melee, play it because you enjoy the game, not because you can practice tech.

Besides, Melee is boring as sin

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

It would feel different and then you have to unlearn melee timing and quirks to learn PM.

why on earth would you put yourself through that extra step when you can practise in PM?

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
It would feel different and then you have to unlearn melee timing and quirks to learn PM.

why on earth would you put yourself through that extra step when you can practise in PM?
What timing differences? Being able SHFFL is a skill that transfers to basically any character, for instance. Melee is harder, so PM will feel easy once you have it down. Don't look at me: this was some advice I got from someone else before.

Nah, it's better to just practice tech in PM. You can't B-Reverse, or Wavebounce in Melee. And what if OP plays a character not in Melee? Assuming they main Sonic, he's not in Melee, and I don't think there's any character like him in Melee.

If you want to play Melee, play it because you enjoy the game, not because you can practice tech.

Then practice the brawl-specific tech (of which not much exists compared to the important tech shared by both games) on PM.

And Sm4sh is like objectively boring lmao. Very few combos outside of autocombos + no movement option + super-strong shields + floatiness + absurd recoveries = ResidentSleeper

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
What timing differences? Being able SHFFL is a skill that transfers to basically any character, for instance. Melee is harder, so PM will feel easy once you have it down. Don't look at me: this was some advice I got from someone else before.
Don't look at you? No! I will look at you, because you're the one spreading misinformation. You can't just say, "Oh, I heard it from someone else" when you're the one still saying it. Melee is harder, who cares? Practice it in PM, it's better.
Then practice the brawl-specific tech (of which not much exists compared to the important tech shared by both games) on PM.
Don't be dumb, practice everything in PM, not just certain things. Furthermore, the tech that only exists in Brawl/PM are just as important.
And Sm4sh is like objectively boring lmao. Very few combos outside of autocombos + no movement option + super-strong shields + floatiness + absurd recoveries = ResidentSleeper
Did you come to this conclusion yourself, or did you just regurgitate it like the advice to practice in Melee because it's harder? But you know, you're right! I'll just go back to watching 100 Fox mirrors in a row.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

Dash differences, turnaround (RARing).
SAF on moves (and Waveland out of aerials)
Physics delay meaning you can Double aerial a lot of things you cant in melee.

Melee isnt 'harder'. it just has a 1 frame shorter SH.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Dash differences, turnaround (RARing).
SAF on moves (and Waveland out of aerials)
Physics delay meaning you can Double aerial a lot of things you cant in melee.

Melee isnt 'harder'. it just has a 1 frame shorter SH.
Don't forget the dead zones on the control stick, either. Also, maybe it's just me, but even that 1 frame shorter window for SH makes Melee Fox feel really difficult to control after playing P:M Fox for a bit.

I usually find that I'd prefer practicing Fox tech in Melee because of this reason. He's probably the only character I could make a recommendation to play Melee for, though. At least, for those who frequently go back and forth between the games.

Also, maybe it's just hearsay, but I've heard PMDT is planning on removing the physics delay in a future update. I've been trying to find where exactly on Reddit it was mentioned, but I'm not seeing it at the moment.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Don't forget the dead zones on the control stick, either. Also, maybe it's just me, but even that 1 frame shorter window for SH makes Melee Fox feel really difficult to control after playing P:M Fox for a bit.

I usually find that I'd prefer practicing Fox tech in Melee because of this reason. He's probably the only character I could make a recommendation to play Melee for, though. At least, for those who frequently go back and forth between the games.
If you're going back and forth between the two games, then sure, practice things in Melee. But that's only because you're actually playing Melee. If you don't want to play Melee, stick to practicing in PM. It really makes no sense to practice Melee Fox, when you're only ever going to play PM Fox.

Narpas_sword

Also, maybe it's just hearsay, but I've heard PMDT is planning on removing the physics delay in a future update. I've been trying to find where exactly on Reddit it was mentioned, but I'm not seeing it at the moment.
Yea deadzones too. Practising PM with melees awful dead zones will lead to learning sloppy stick control.
In PM we can use micro movements much more effectively as the stick registers smaller inputs better.

And yea, the 2 frame shorter SH will extend to Wavedashing. learning the wrong timing in melee then having to relearn in PM is an extra unneeded step.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
If you're going back and forth between the two games, then sure, practice things in Melee. But that's only because you're actually playing Melee. If you don't want to play Melee, stick to practicing in PM. It really makes no sense to practice Melee Fox, when you're only ever going to play PM Fox.
Well, you never know.

My local area more regularly hosts Melee events (and Sm4sh events) rather than PM events (those are usually an hour or so away), and even though I consider myself to be more specialized in PM, just sitting back while watching others play a Smash game is kind of too sad for me. I don't wanna not participate just because they aren't playing the Smash game I focus on most.

I will say though, that it seems like it's usually the case where Melee Fox players can generally use P:M Fox with more ease than a P:M Fox could use Melee Fox.

So for a case like mine, learning to play Melee Fox wouldn't hurt my P:M Fox's playstyle at all. And it would allow me more chance to enjoy multiple Smash games, as opposed to just one, which is a good thing because there's more chances for you to participate in a Smash scene.

Perhaps it's only a placebo, but I really do feel practicing Melee Fox actually helps solidify my playstyle with PM Fox. It's only a personal experience, so I have no objective proof, but when I practice Melee Fox, Short Hops and SHDLs feel much more sensitive and harder to do. So once I've reached the point where I can pull those techniques off with consistency, switching to P:M Fox immediately afterwards, I find I have almost complete control over P:M Fox's movements, whereas before, my PM Fox's technique wasn't as polished.

Granted, I could've just grinded on PM Fox until my technique was down, but then I wouldn't have that great a Melee Fox for the events around me, which are more Melee focused. So learning a Melee Fox allows me to have a character that I can use for either game, which is ultimately better than just one game.

TL;DR I think practicing Melee Fox is better for those "just in case" scenarios where a PM player has no PM scene to play in, but there are multiple Melee scenes around. And it doesn't hurt, technique-wise either, in my opinion.

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100

I feel like you have a strong bias against Melee for some reason and it is affecting the logic you are using in your claims. Anyone can play Melee or any game for whatever reason they want, but that's besides the point and part of a different discussion.

Practicing tech in Melee can most certainly be used as a tool to help one to learn some Melee characters in P:M and just tech in general. The reason why this is a viable method even if you're only ever going to play P:M is because the tech in Melee is harder to execute. You seem to be dismissive of this as a viable explanation, but there is a lot of significance here. If you can do the tech in Melee, where it's harder (and yes, it is harder due to increased speed, lack of 1 frame delay, and stricter control stick deadzones), than you can have a much easier time doing the tech in P:M, where it's more forgiving. Melee teaches you how to be more precise with your inputs better than P:M mainly because of its smaller deadzones and because the game is slightly faster. If you can be good at movement and tech in Melee, then P:M should be a very easy transfer with little adaptation required due to it being more forgiving in terms of room for error. And for the P:M-specific techs, you can just practice them in P:M, no big deal. You might be spending more time required with Melee than if you were to just focus on practicing all tech in P:M, but the pay off can definitely be big here in terms of the skills gained in precision. If you just practiced tech in P:M, then sure you get used to the forgiving timings, but the game won't really press you to focus on being precise with your inputs as much as Melee would. This is why Melee players can pick up P:M and very easily control their character after a short while, but P:M players have a very difficult time controlling their character in Melee. P:M does not teach P:M players precision as well as it would teach Melee players. If you're a P:M only player, then this may not seem like a big deal and it may not as well be for most players, but it has to be understood that such a player has a natural disadvantage in learning skills of precision and strictness compared to a Melee player and depending on what an individual wants to accomplish with P:M in terms of goals and stuff, this can be a big deal (or not, again, depending on the individual).

I used to be a Brawl player and I picked up P:M when 2.0 came out and I had only played Melee as a kid. However, I later picked up Melee to practice Melee tech for the reasons stated above after practicing tech in P:M for a period of time. When I would want to play Melee characters in P:M, I'd practice the tech in Melee and then play people in P:M. It helped a lot in learning how to control my character because if I could control the character well in Melee, where it's harder to control them and inputs are more precise and strict, then I could do it very easily in P:M where control and movement is more forgiving. I did this and it definitely helped out a lot compared to when I just used to practice tech only in P:M. It was hard at first and I actually preformed a bit worse in P:M initially, but I expected this due to not being used to transitioning. But overtime, I could definitely see the payoff. And I asked other people (mainly people I played wi-fi with) who had and also hadn't practiced tech similar to me to see if I was just experiencing a placebo and the results I got confirmed my theory. Those who practiced Melee noticed better improvement in their P:M tech, so I wasn't the only crazy one. It also made a lot of sense at the time that I did it because I picked up P:M when 2.0 came out and this was before they had discovered the random 0-2 frame delay that made P:M feel clunky. Why would I base my movement on a fundamentally clunky game when I can base it on the original, which is more smooth? That was my mindset at the time and I'm thankful I practiced the way I did.

Now despite all that I've said, I actually wouldn't recommend someone to practice Melee for tech if they are only going to play P:M mostly because it's likely to be a waste of time that could've been spent practicing other P:M-specific things and especially if they are playing a non-Melee character (or a heavily altered Melee character). But I wouldn't completely write off Melee as a viable practice tool for a P:M-only player like you have done because, again, Melee can teach you something better than what P:M can teach you: Precision. And depending on the individual person's goals and desires, this can (or can't) be a valuable skill that can help them improve at the game faster. I would consider using Melee to practice as a viable option for improvement for the reasons stated, not a waste of time.

Yea deadzones too. Practising PM with melees awful dead zones will lead to learning sloppy stick control.
In PM we can use micro movements much more effectively as the stick registers smaller inputs better.

And yea, the 2 frame shorter SH will extend to Wavedashing. learning the wrong timing in melee then having to relearn in PM is an extra unneeded step.
I don't really agree with this. Yes, you can use micro movements in P:M more effectively, but I don't see how Melee can hurt this ability, assuming you become good at Melee movement. If you can have good stick control in Melee, where the game is more strict, there's no reason to believe you would have sloppy stick control in P:M, where the game is more forgiving. And yes it is move forgiving in terms of movement and tech (slightly slower speed, increased deadzones, 1 frame delay, etc.) unless you're playing a non-Melee character or a Melee character that was heavily altered like Bowser or Ness. In fact, I would say that you would have better stick control as a result (this is assuming that you have good stick control in Melee. If it's bad in both games, playing Melee won't likely produce an immediate positive result in P:M. It might even be worse). The reason is because Melee forces you to be precise with it's control scheme and faster engine and that precision can carry over to most of P:M's Melee characters. And since P:M has more forgiving controls, it should be very hard for someone with a proficiency in Melee tech and movement to mess up inputs consistently, therefore I do not see how this would result in having sloppy controls. There is some value in the claim of trying to adapt to the minor differences between the two physics engines, but I think the significance of this is very overrated. It doesn't take that long for one versed in Melee movement and tech to get used to the differences in P:M. This is why Melee players can play Melee characters in P:M without much difficulty, but P:M players have a hard time playing those same Melee characters in Melee. Because Melee players have better precision of control and movement that P:M does not teach you as well as Melee.

And though wavedash timings are slightly different, it doesn't take that long to adapt to and before you know it, you can do it between both game without noticing. And the small effort put into adjusting the wavedash timings and other such minor timings can be offset by the skills gained in precision.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I feel like you have a strong bias against Melee for some reason and it is affecting the logic you are using in your claims. Anyone can play Melee or any game for whatever reason they want, but that's besides the point and part of a different discussion.
I'll admit, this is true, I do have a strong bias against Melee. I'm sure you and others have noticed that whenever Melee is discussed, my posts generally sign-off with a MAYLAY meme.

It's pretty bad.

As for the rest of your post, agreed for the most part. The stricter windows is helpful for training. That said, I still feel it's more beneficial to stick with practicing in PM, at least if you're a PM only player. You can't practice ZSS in Melee an Roy is trash in Melee, so while things are stricter, PM may be the better place to practice. Characters such as Fox, Falco, C. Falcon, yeah it's probably beneficial to practice in Melee.

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
I'll admit, this is true, I do have a strong bias against Melee. I'm sure you and others have noticed that whenever Melee is discussed, my posts generally sign-off with a MAYLAY meme.

It's pretty bad.

As for the rest of your post, agreed for the most part. The stricter windows is helpful for training. That said, I still feel it's more beneficial to stick with practicing in PM, at least if you're a PM only player. You can't practice ZSS in Melee an Roy is trash in Melee, so while things are stricter, PM may be the better place to practice. Characters such as Fox, Falco, C. Falcon, yeah it's probably beneficial to practice in Melee.
Agreed! :D

Narpas_sword

I don't really agree with this. Yes, you can use micro movements in P:M more effectively, but I don't see how Melee can hurt this ability, assuming you become good at Melee movement. If you can have good stick control in Melee, where the game is more strict, there's no reason to believe you would have sloppy stick control in P:M, where the game is more forgiving. And yes it is move forgiving in terms of movement and tech (slightly slower speed, increased deadzones, 1 frame delay, etc.) unless you're playing a non-Melee character or a Melee character that was heavily altered like Bowser or Ness. In fact, I would say that you would have better stick control as a result (this is assuming that you have good stick control in Melee. If it's bad in both games, playing Melee won't likely produce an immediate positive result in P:M. It might even be worse). The reason is because Melee forces you to be precise with it's control scheme and faster engine and that precision can carry over to most of P:M's Melee characters. And since P:M has more forgiving controls, it should be very hard for someone with a proficiency in Melee tech and movement to mess up inputs consistently, therefore I do not see how this would result in having sloppy controls. There is some value in the claim of trying to adapt to the minor differences between the two physics engines, but I think the significance of this is very overrated. It doesn't take that long for one versed in Melee movement and tech to get used to the differences in P:M. This is why Melee players can play Melee characters in P:M without much difficulty, but P:M players have a hard time playing those same Melee characters in Melee. Because Melee players have better precision of control and movement that P:M does not teach you as well as Melee.

And though wavedash timings are slightly different, it doesn't take that long to adapt to and before you know it, you can do it between both game without noticing. And the small effort put into adjusting the wavedash timings and other such minor timings can be offset by the skills gained in precision.
So after reading my post, I feel I didn't explain it very well. What I meant by 'Learning sloppy stick control' can certainly be elaborated on a lot better, and the way i said it made it sound as though I was attacking melee without explaination.

Imagine a linear line representing the stick and deadzone.

Oxxx-----------|

O is neutral.
x is deadzone,
- is where the stick responds
| is the edge.

Now you spend a good amount of time training, and getting used to having to manipulate the stick for your inputs in the '-' area.

Then you switch to PM and the stick looks like this:

Ox--------------|

You're used to having nothing happen with the stick when it's where those first x's used to be. but now it actually does something, and your character moves / starts an action. I'd compare it to if you're walking and you expect to stop, but you slide a bit extra like you're on ice. If you were expecting to continue moving, you'd feel fine, but if you didn't it would feel sloppy.

This can be heard in many of the players opinions switching to PM from a lifetime of melee, they don't like it because it doesn't 'feel' right and it doesn't feel as 'tight' as melee.

Though anyone who has learned these controls and is used to them feels they are fine.
(when i go back to melee I feel like I'm stuck in mud)

That's the best i can do to explain it. hope that makes sense.

My main concern is the strangeness of advising someone to play a different game first in order to learn a new game. It just seems like an unnecessary step to me. Aside from the technical differences, you'll be missing out on crucial match up knowledge. The OP was asking how to go from Smash 4 to PM. And the answer is to play PM.

The reason some melee players do well switching to PM isn't because of an 'easy-hard' relationship, but due to that players abilities as a smasher. There are also a lot of instances where the good melee player loses to a relatively unknown PM player. But due to the preconceived notion that 'pm is easier' the players that see this don't often attribute the win to the PM player, but instead start calling things 'jank'.

Anyway. this thread is getting off topic. The OP is asking for advice on learning PM, not comparing PM to the other games.

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
So after reading my post, I feel I didn't explain it very well. What I meant by 'Learning sloppy stick control' can certainly be elaborated on a lot better, and the way i said it made it sound as though I was attacking melee without explaination.

Imagine a linear line representing the stick and deadzone.

Oxxx-----------|

O is neutral.
x is deadzone,
- is where the stick responds
| is the edge.

Now you spend a good amount of time training, and getting used to having to manipulate the stick for your inputs in the '-' area.

Then you switch to PM and the stick looks like this:

Ox--------------|

You're used to having nothing happen with the stick when it's where those first x's used to be. but now it actually does something, and your character moves / starts an action. I'd compare it to if you're walking and you expect to stop, but you slide a bit extra like you're on ice. If you were expecting to continue moving, you'd feel fine, but if you didn't it would feel sloppy.

This can be heard in many of the players opinions switching to PM from a lifetime of melee, they don't like it because it doesn't 'feel' right and it doesn't feel as 'tight' as melee.

Though anyone who has learned these controls and is used to them feels they are fine.
(when i go back to melee I feel like I'm stuck in mud)

That's the best i can do to explain it. hope that makes sense.

My main concern is the strangeness of advising someone to play a different game first in order to learn a new game. It just seems like an unnecessary step to me. Aside from the technical differences, you'll be missing out on crucial match up knowledge. The OP was asking how to go from Smash 4 to PM. And the answer is to play PM.

The reason some melee players do well switching to PM isn't because of an 'easy-hard' relationship, but due to that players abilities as a smasher. There are also a lot of instances where the good melee player loses to a relatively unknown PM player. But due to the preconceived notion that 'pm is easier' the players that see this don't often attribute the win to the PM player, but instead start calling things 'jank'.

Anyway. this thread is getting off topic. The OP is asking for advice on learning PM, not comparing PM to the other games.
Ah, I definitely see what you mean better. There are still some points I want to expand upon but I agree, this is getting off topic, so I'll leave it at that!

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Brawl > Tr4sh, no contest

You should just drop that trash to a real game.
You know, if you wanted someone to treat you like a child you could've just asked. But instead you decided to embarrass yourself by sharing an opinion that not only is off-topic but is very uninteresting.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
Brawl > Tr4sh, no contest

You should just drop that trash to a real game.
You know, if you wanted someone to treat you like a child you could've just asked. But instead you decided to embarrass yourself by sharing an opinion that not only is off-topic but is very uninteresting.
Kurri just roasted you himemiya tbh haha but seriously, on the topic of Brawl and Sm4sh (don't get mads people this thread was off topic anyway), Smash 4 was like brawl enginewise, but didn't have stupid game mechanics like tripping and had nearly no game mechanics like Perfect Pivoting.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Kurri just roasted you himemiya tbh haha but seriously, on the topic of Brawl and Sm4sh (don't get mads people this thread was off topic anyway), Smash 4 was like brawl enginewise, but didn't have stupid game mechanics like tripping and had nearly no game mechanics like Perfect Pivoting.
Being off-topic anyways isn't an invitation to continue being off-topic. But, I'm a hypocrite.

Smash 4 isn't like Brawl engine-wise, it is Brawl engine-wise. When Smash 4 launched, it had many of the same bugs and glitches Brawl had, such as DACUS. Many of these things have been removed/fixed in later patches. Also, while Brawl may not have mechanics like Perfect Pivoting, it does have, again, DACUS, chain-grabs, glide-tossing (which although is in Smash 4, is more limited), and many more.

But really... who cares? Just play what you want. OP doesn't enjoy Smash 4 and wants to move on to PM. Some people don't like PM and play the other Smash games. Just be cool about it, and don't push your opinion as though it were fact, like a certain person.

Top Bottom