• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How important are tiers to you?

Janaye

Smash Rookie
I'm just curious. Since the tier list has been released a while after the game and everyone has already fallen into a steady habit of which characters they pick up the most I wanted to know what everyone's reaction to it was.

Did you find yourself switching characters at all after seeing it?

Where you discouraged/encouraged when you saw it?

Personally, I've always found tiers to not cause too great of a difference in who I use. When I first got the game I could sort of tell immediately who was better than who and who to just leave alone till a later time *cough*sonic*cough*. I could tell Snake was on solid ground when it came to holding his own in a fight along with Falco. I was bit blindsided by D3 though... I mean he was good but... I guess my inner dislike of him clouded my better judgement >.>.

But looking back on it I've noticed that all the characters I used then and now (aside from sonic) were atleast high tier (Lucario, Falco, Wolf) so I don't know if subconciously I'm ok with the list just because of that or not.

Honestly though, tier lists have never really made me not want to use a character. I pick my mains based on who I like and I've found that if I like the character enough that I can get good with them in spite of any 'handi-caps' they may have.

How about the rest of you?

DLO

Smash Journeyman
I pick the character i like. So, if a character is low tier,i pick him. However, i absolutely don't care about the tiers.

Seon

Smash Cadet
Same as above really, apparently Shiek is very low tier or something but I still love playing with Shiek infact Shiek is my most confident character

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice

ANYBODY WHO PLAYS A LOW TIER CHARACTER IS A SCRUB. YOU MIGHT AS WELL NOT EVEN PLAY THE GAME UNLESS YOU PLAY WITH REAL CHARACTERS IN A REAL COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT. GOD I'M SO $%&$(*$ PISSED AT THESE SCRUBS I COULD TAKE A $*(#!

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Well, i mained low tiers for a while but i'm starting to realy enjoy MK xD Hate it or love it hes pretty freakin fun :laugh:

Smash Master

ANYBODY WHO PLAYS A LOW TIER CHARACTER IS A SCRUB. YOU MIGHT AS WELL NOT EVEN PLAY THE GAME UNLESS YOU PLAY WITH REAL CHARACTERS IN A REAL COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT. GOD I'M SO $%&$(*$ PISSED AT THESE SCRUBS I COULD TAKE A $*(#!
I think if you use your character as an excuse as to why you keep losing, then you are a scrub. If you don't play to win (i.e. competitve environment,) then you are also a scrub.

I don't choose my character based on the tier list, although I always seem to like the best characters.

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice

We-hell, I will be dosh garned Betsy. And here I thought that Scrubs were those things that nurses wore.

Janaye

Smash Rookie

lmao omg even I know what that is a reference too ;) You auto-win this thread

But yeah I figured that tiers weren't that important to most people though I will admit that when I saw that both Lucario and Wolf were high tier that I added a little notch to my belt ;)

Now I just need to end my boyfriend's Snake and my life will have meaning again

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
Personally I'm surprised that Lucario was rated high-tier. In many tier lists people made prior to this one, Lucario was not up that high. I think he's way better than mewtwo was in melee, but still...

I use him either way because he's pretty fun to play.

Mystify

Smash Rookie
The tier list really didn't effect me. I mean I've seen dozens of tier lists before this one. All the characters I like to use are middle/high anyway, so it really doesn't bother me.

TBH though, I do pay attention to tiers. If tomorrow some hidden technique was discovered that made ... say ... Wario, absolutely terrible and he was dropped to low/bottom tier - I'd have second thoughts about using him.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
Didn't effect me at all. I use a character because I like them, not how good they are. I play characters who I think have some potential, so if any of my characters jumped to CF tier, I'd continue playing him or her.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm more casual than competitive, but it does seem weird to see Mario ranked low; he is the most balanced fighter in the game.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I recognize tier lists and take them into consideration. I'm not as disappointed if I lose to a Meta Knight as I am [insert low-tier character here]. It helps me understand what to expect from that character, so I'm more well-prepared before a match.

I play to win, and this helps me get the job done.

Ørion

Smash Ace
I certainly wouldn't switch characters because of tiers. I think that other people might, especially people relatively new to brawl. Their kinda important to me, but not too important if that makes sense lol.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Not at all. If you ask me, tiers are stupid. I main Yoshi, who is a low-tier, and I can probably destroy so called "top-tier" characters, easily. As I always say, it's the actual player's skill that determines how well they can fight, and how the match is going to proceed.

Janaye

Smash Rookie
Personally I'm surprised that Lucario was rated high-tier. In many tier lists people made prior to this one, Lucario was not up that high. I think he's way better than mewtwo was in melee, but still...

I use him either way because he's pretty fun to play.
I think its got a lot to do with the fact that he's good in the air and has a lot of combo potential.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Tiers don't matter much to me but I don't like playing as bottom tier characters
Well then, lucky for you, you can play as every character!

I'm more casual than competitive, but it does seem weird to see Mario ranked low; he is the most balanced fighter in the game.
Being balanced in a game with broken characters doesn't really matter...

Not at all. If you ask me, tiers are stupid. I main Yoshi, who is a low-tier, and I can probably destroy so called "top-tier" characters, easily. As I always say, it's the actual player's skill that determines how well they can fight, and how the match is going to proceed.
It is, but if a character is broken (e.g. Meta Knight and Snake) then they do have an immediate advantage.
I wouldn't be so quick to make judgments if I were you, and say that you can annihilate them easily. Especially not if you're saying "probably", because that means that you're really just assuming without evidence.

Tiers do make a difference. It's how good a character is. Smash Bros IS NOT, and PROBABLY NEVER WILL BE, balanced. As such, certain characters are better than others. Which is why the phrase "Tiers are for queers" makes me facepalm every time. You don't have to choose your character based on tiers, but if you're Falcon versus a Meta Knight, equal skill levels, then yeah, it's going to affect the match.

As for the thread's question, I do pay attention to the tier list, and find it helpful, but I'm not going to switch mains due to it. If I cared about Samus being low tier I'd have switched a while ago -- I've known she got uber-nerfed since...forever.

Zodiac

Smash Master
People subconsciously gravitate towards high tier characters , ESPECIALLY if they know they're high tier, for isntance I picked up falco because I was having trouble with a match up and decided he would be a good counter, I had never played him before, I had seen a few videos but I knew his lasers would do me good, much to my surprise after about a week of practice with him I knew. "Falco is gonna be high tier"

Tiers are there for a reason, and frankly the disclaimer put at the begining of the tier list is only there to stop flamers. the tier list is there because if you use Link against Meta knight your chances of winning go down 80% than if you were using marth. Its a fact. All your mind games, all tech skill take a huge gimp because of the gap between tiers.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
I still Use Sonic and I'm pretty ****ed good with him . What most people don't realize is that tiers merely display the learning curve of a character. For example, any new player can come along and use Meta and win against a great Capt player. Any freaking Pikachu can come along and destroy a Mario. But honestly, ZSS is perhaps one of the best players in the game when u figure her out. Jus like Pit, Luigi and Yoshi also have that potential. But I'm a die hard Sonic fan, so thats who I'm stickin 2. I do well in tourneys, unfortunately I've gotten 3rd twice to Meta and Snake but hey, **** happens.

Azuro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THTB614
Tiers do tell a bit, but I don't exactly base my character selection based on that. I just pick whoever is fun to use, really. I do see the impact they do have, though.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Tiers didn't affect me, and I'll still play my favorite characters, and maybe pick up one or two in high-top, (Lucario, ****, I had no idea he was that good, even after playing him alot. )

I mean, I already used high-top characters, I <3 Diddy, GaW, DK and Pikachu.

But I also use Sheik and Falcon Pwnch, so, eh.

I forsee an influx of these characters however :

D3
GaW
ROB

Wario
Lucario
Pika
DK
Diddy

Yeah, I know I listed half of the top and high tiers, but I only listed the ones up there that aren't used as much as the others (Snake, Meta, Marth, Falco)

Anyway, I'm glad the tier list arrived, and I can't wait to see how it changes in the future.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I only use tiers as a way to convince noobs how Link was in S64/Mewtwo was in Melee/Falcon in Brawl are bad characters.

Marios My Bro

Smash Apprentice
This doesnt effect me at all. I really could care less who people like and dislike but nobody can change who I like.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
I use Link....guess what my answer is. You say your answer is "I don't think you care"? Final answer? WRONG!!! Tiers do matter to me! When im getting whooped by a falco, im thinking " Gosh darn it! If only there was more balance!" And seeing Link at bottom tier (again) really, REALLY isn't fair. Aww well, i always have crummy luck anyways. Hopefully Link will get a few more ATs (for him only) that bump him up to the top of low tier like melee or even mid tier (for those who main Link, even mid tier is a blessing to us).

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
There is a trick with link that actually may make him a bit better. In mid-air you can use his throw and he'll shoot out his hook shot, which will do damage and stun. I think Toon Link can do it too.

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman

We-hell, I will be dosh garned Betsy. And here I thought that Scrubs were those things that nurses wore.
Deserves a LOL! Seems like the majority of SWF are socially inept and processing posts to humour. I've gotta change my MSN picture to that! LEVEL UP! +10 WIT POINTS FOR SLICK-MON.

Anymoo's Teir lists? Meh, I'll stick to my Ol' Charizard and back up of Unolimar. It's all about how you use them. But alas, there is the woe of Bandwagoners choosening characters purely due to Teir Lists. Hence the gameplay gets very stale after the millionth time Falco has chaingrabbed your Charizard from 0% to 50% before you can even react. Not eveyone can play as every character, for example Snake is beyond me and Sonic is far too much focus is need for me. Also I hate using secondary charaters so PokeMONZ suited me like a sausage to a "Toad in the Hole".

cutter

Smash Champion
Tiers haven't really mattered to me at all. It's kinda weird how many threads have sprouted in the character forum about the reaction to where that character was placed. :ohwell:

Genghis Krahn

Smash Cadet
I was glad to see that they made v1.0 of the Brawl tier list, but no, it won't influence who I use at all. It's interesting to see who's considered the "best" and "worst", but for me, it gives me a bit of motivation to work on some of the lower-tier characters, because I get a lot of satisfaction beating a decent Snake-user with say, Olimar.

I have recently been using Yoshi a lot, and the other day I was playing Smash with a group of my roomates friends. One of them used Fox, and I played as Yoshi. I just barely lost the match, and it was down to the final hit, but even during the match, everyone in the room was surprised at how well I was doing. That makes me feel more accomplished than wiping the floor as Meta Knight or Snake. And it's a lot more fun using characters you really like.

I wasn't surprised by the list. Some of my characters got ranked pretty high (Wario, Pikachu, King Dedede) and others lower (Yoshi, Pokemon Trainer). Things might change as new things are learned, but the current list seems pretty accurate.

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
Deserves a LOL! Seems like the majority of SWF are socially inept and processing posts to humour. I've gotta change my MSN picture to that! LEVEL UP! +10 WIT POINTS FOR SLICK-MON.

Anymoo's Teir lists? Meh, I'll stick to my Ol' Charizard and back up of Unolimar. It's all about how you use them. But alas, there is the woe of Bandwagoners choosening characters purely due to Teir Lists. Hence the gameplay gets very stale after the millionth time Falco has chaingrabbed your Charizard from 0% to 50% before you can even react. Not eveyone can play as every character, for example Snake is beyond me and Sonic is far too much focus is need for me. Also I hate using secondary charaters so PokeMONZ suited me like a sausage to a "Toad in the Hole".
I'd keep the Hitler-mar if that's what it currently is. :p

I really wonder if Sakurai purposefully unbalanced the game with chain grabbing and stuff. It's rather suspicious that the penguin seems to have the ability. And although Meta knight doesn't, he has some unbalanced moves of his own.

Lord Ba'al

Smash Rookie
The official tier list doesnt affect me at all. I'm a Yoshi user, and although he's bottom tier, I'll never stop using him. I use Link as well, and the same goes for him.

If anything, this tier list gives me an incentive to conquer all high-tier users.

Howard Johnson

Smash Rookie
I'm a Luigi and Ness main. I think my point is made. If I was affected-- let alone anyone, it would be Metaknight METAKNIGHT METAKNIGHT

~rh

Smash Lord
I've used Marth since Melee cause of his hair.

Yes, his hair. It's ****in cool, okay?

Top Bottom