• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U How many of you would purchase a Wii U just for this game?

Do you still purchase this Wii U?

• Duh... It's Smashbros!!

Votes: 104 88.1%
  • I love Smashbros but not quite that much

Votes: 14 11.9%

• Total voters

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Hypothetical situation - You have the choice to purchase the very last available Wii U for about $300... But this particular Wii U has a huge flaw: it can only play Smash 4 and do NOTHING ELSE. No other games work (not even Wii or virtual console games), no applications work, nothing but Smash 4. Lets not forget Smash 4 will also cost around $60.

Do you still purchase this Wii U? Or in other words, would you be willing to spend around $360 just to play Smash 4?

Please keep in mind this question is more targeted towards those of us that actually purchase games/consoles with our own money as opposed to those who have their parents/guardians pay for everything.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Smash itself is worth 2 Wii U's.

I had every single Smash. I can't stop now.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I'd be able to answer that question once the character roster, stages and all gameplay info is revealed.

Meh, probably yes. I'm in full time employment so I can afford it.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Of course I'd buy it! Do you know how much the last Wii U would sell for!?!
I'd put that sucker up on Ebay "Very Last Available Wii U for $1,000", after much bidding over the course of a week that thing would get so much attention from the media. The console would easily get sold for $100,000 dollars.
Then, I could pay some nerds to build me a functioning Wii U.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'd be able to answer that question once the character roster, stages and all gameplay info is revealed.

I was thinking along these lines as well. As a part time worker/full time student I really don't have a lot of money to throw around on things I enjoy.

I'd have to see the end product first.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Of course I'd buy it! Do you know how much the last Wii U would sell for!?!
I'd put that sucker up on Ebay "Very Last Available Wii U for $1,000", after much bidding over the course of a week that thing would get so much attention from the media. The console would easily get sold for $100,000 dollars.
Then, I could pay some nerds to build me a functioning Wii U.
Dont you just hate those PeePz that throw the whole concept out the window to be a smart a ss......xD

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
In all honesty, I probably would buy it even if it could only play smash bros.
I'm too overly obsessed with the friggin game.

Hong

The Strongest
Sure.

I don't care about what new stages or characters show up. I know there will be great new things out there and aside from Mario and Pokemon, I love all things Nintendo. I am not hard to please.

All that I ask is that the game is more finely tuned than Brawl. I would shell out $400 for a sequel even if it just had the same stuff, but improved.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Hell yeah, I've played (competitively) 64, melee, and brawl (eh)/PM. Buying a Wii U for just smash 4? I'd do it in a heartbeat. (thats what I basically did with the Wii until brawl disappointed me, its still okay tho).

Okay now that i answered that hypothetical, I am getting the Wii U for smash, but i'm also planning to get 6-7 games along with it. (same with 3ds).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am currently preoccupied with Animal Crossing and soon I will be busy with school starting next week so I am not getting a Wii U just yet... I will definitely buy Wii U along with SSB4 when the game comes out along with Pikmin 3, New Super Mario/Luigi Bros. U, Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 8... just in time for next summer! :awesome:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
That's actually what my plan was. Waiting until Smash 4 came out to buy a Wii-U. Nothing else except maybe Mario Kart 8 seems as a reason to buy the thing. Buy Smash 4 Wii U, Smash 4 3DS, and an actual Wii U to play it on.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
It's criminal to get a console just for one game and ignore the library. But regarding the question, yes.. Well, actually, I already have a Wii U. And honestly, as much as I'm looking forward to Smash 4, I'm more excited for Monolith's new game as well as the potential for new Metroid, Star Fox and Kirby games and the fantastic indie games like Shovel Knight.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I have no idea why people only get it for smash
what about pikmin 3, mario kart 8, The new xenoblade, 3d world, tropical freeze, windwaker hd, rayman legends, yarn yoshi, bayonetta 2, the next new zelda, and ALL the other games that have yet to be announced??
as for the actual question yeah of course, hundreds if not thousands of hours playing with friends.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I said no but that's only because there are other great titles are coming out that will save the wii u and not to mention I was interested in the wii u when it first got promo

But yes 60% of the reason is super smash brothers 4

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yeah. It's the only reason I'm getting a Wii U in the first place. I'd also like Mario Kart but I can deal without it

Hong

The Strongest
Well, I answered it in respects to the proposition in the OP.

Thus far I have been waiting for a good bundle. If the Wind Waker HD bundle is a real thing, then for sure I'll grab a Wii U then. If not, I wait.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
My original plan was to buy the Wii U just for Smash. But I had completely forgotten all other awesome games. Tropical Freeze, Wind Waker, Mario Kart, Pikmin... And a few more *_* The Wii U is going to be more of a money sink for me than my PS2 was...

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I would lol. I'm actually waiting to purchase the WIi U until Smash Bros comes out. I will probably get other games though along with it.

Ruthy

Smash Apprentice
I already have a Wii U, so this isn't an issue. I haven't seen enough of Smash U to really get hyped for this, when more info comes along and the games I'm anticipating come out, I guess Ill get hyped since theres nothing else for me to get hyped about on Wii U by the time this comes around. (except bayo 2)

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
My original plan was to buy the Wii U just for Smash. But I had completely forgotten all other awesome games. Tropical Freeze, Wind Waker, Mario Kart, Pikmin... And a few more *_* The Wii U is going to be more of a money sink for me than my PS2 was...

Yeah, lot of people ignored that the majority of the flagship games are coming late 2013 early 2014. E3 was pretty much all Wii U for Nintendo besides Pokemon. DK, Mario World, Mario Kart, etc. just take time.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Bought a Gamcube for Melee (and Pokemon Coliseum) so I'd do it again.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Will buy a Wii U primarily for Smash, just like I bought a Gamecube primarily for Melee and a Wii primarily for Brawl. However, I'll also be buying other games since there are some great ones already out and coming out soon. Still, even if they weren't I'd still buy a Wii U solely for Smash.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yes
I never even attended tournaments in Brawl and have 1200 hours+ from literally playing with friends, brothers, and messing around with custom brstms costumes etc. that said I already have my launch Wii U and I'm enjoying other games while I wait for this...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I didn't know many people would buy a broken Wii U that plays nothing else but Super Smash Bros for Wii U... I mean I love Super Smash Bros as much as the next guy but I would also like to have some other Wii U games as well.... Then again, this is a Super Smash Bros fansite.... I'd wait until they start developing more Wii U's for sale.... Oh well guess that's just me... :T

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I didn't know many people would buy a broken Wii U that plays nothing else but Super Smash Bros for Wii U... I mean I love Super Smash Bros as much as the next guy but I would also like to have some other Wii U games as well.... Then again, this is a Super Smash Bros fansite.... I'd wait until they start developing more Wii U's for sale.... Oh well guess that's just me... :T

That's why I'm so surprised with some of these responses. If Smash 4 ended up like Brawl (bad gameplay + a terrible online system) there's no way I'd buy a broken Wii U just for it.

Like I said earlier I'd have to wait for Smash 4 to actually be released and get a good read on how the game is before making this decision.

In hindsight I really should have made that a 3rd poll option. Oh well.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's why I'm so surprised with some of these responses. If Smash 4 ended up like Brawl (bad gameplay + a terrible online system) there's no way I'd buy a broken Wii U just for it.

Like I said earlier I'd have to wait for Smash 4 to actually be released and get a good read on how the game is before making this decision.

In hindsight I really should have made that a 3rd poll option. Oh well.
I guess many didn't really bother to read the OP and just voted immediately after reading the thread's title. At least I hope so... :rolleyes: Unless they really are planning to buy only Super Smash Bros for Wii U and nothing else. More power to them I guess.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I guess many didn't really bother to read the OP and just voted immediately after reading the thread's title. At least I hope so... :rolleyes: Unless they really are planning to buy only Super Smash Bros for Wii U and nothing else. More power to them I guess.

Well, if it's the last available Wii U and no one's willing to sell one, people would buy it mostly because they'd have the monopoly on used Wii U's. No one would be able to obtain one but by them.

Top Bottom