• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to: Dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu Linux

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
WHO: This guide is for Windows users who have wanted to give Linux a try, but never got around to it. Or perhaps you didn't know how to go about installing it, or maybe it was just unfamiliar. This guide is for you. I will provide you with a step-by-step guide describing how to make it so that your computer has both Windows and Linux installed on it, and asks you which you want to boot at startup.

WHY: For a long time, Linux was a great alternative to other OS's for computer experts. But it was notoriously "user-unfriendly". Certainly not something you'd install on your grandmother's machine!

But this is not true anymore thanks to the currently most popular version (referred to as "distributions" or "distros") of Linux is called Ubuntu. (pronounced "OO-boon-too") The motto of Ubuntu is "It just works", and that is so very true. You will find the user experience extraordinarily simple and streamlined.

But more than that, Ubuntu is Free. Free in the sense of both price and of liberty. Ubuntu is Open Source, and community supported. Show your support for the future of software by installing Ubuntu, and release yourself from the proprietary clutches of Microsoft!

WHAT: We will be installing Ubuntu version 8.10 on your machine that already has Windows on it. The process will not destroy or in any way harm your files. We are not deleting Windows in any way. In fact, Windows won't even know that anything happened.

WHEN: Now! I dunno, I figured I'd put a "when" in here, but it doesn't make much sense. I guess.

HOW: Before I start I want to say: Read the entire guide before executing any of it. I don't want to scare anyone off, but we ARE going to be changing your partitions and stuff, and it can be difficult to reverse any changes once made.

Now then, let's get into it!

1) Making an Ubutnu install CD

The first thing you're going to need is Ubuntu of course! The most current version right now is 8.10. You can download it here. Just click "Download" and then "Begin download", making sure that Ubuntu 8.10 is selected right above that.

What you are downloading is an ISO file. That is a CD image file meant to be burned to a CD. So you're going to need a CD burner and a spare burnable CD.

Note: I've heard of problems arising from using CD-RW's. Try using standard CD-R's instead. You shouldn't be needing to rewrite to the disk anyways.

*how to burn an ISO to a CD*
<-- I'll edit in a step-by-step on how to burn the ISO to a disk and make sure it's bootable. For now, just google around for it. It's pretty standard.

Alternatively, you can order a CD from Canonical (guys who make and support Ubuntu) for a relatively small price. But of course burning your own CD is cheaper and faster!

2) Booting from the CD

So now you have your CD with Ubuntu 8.10 burned on it. Go ahead and label it something cool. I dunno, maybe "Linux: OS for Ninjas". This step is important.

The CD is "bootable" which means that your computer can read off of it and load Ubuntu right from the disk when the computer starts. Right now, your computer is set to read off of your hard drive (where Windows is) and boot from that. We might have to go into the bios of your computer to make it so that we boot from the CD.

But first just put the CD into your computer and restart it. Hopefully it will pop up some message asking you if you want to boot from the CD, or it might just go right into Ubuntu without asking. If either of these are the case then you're lucky, and set to move onto step three.

If not, if Windows just comes back up like normal, then we have to do something else. Go ahead and restart your computer, but this time you'll have to hold down on a button as it starts. It's usually F12, but can potentially change depending on your computer. As the machine is booting, it should say somewhere: "Push Del to enter Setup. Push F12 to to edit boot menu" or something to that effect. Going into the boot menu is what we want.

*pictures of boot menu*

Now you should see different options of devices to boot from. You should see your Hard Drive there, your CD drive, maybe a floppy is you have one, any USB drives, etc...

Select your CD drive. Ubuntu should now begin to load.

3) Play around. That's right. Just mess with it.

Ubuntu at first will only do a "Live" version. This means that you can run it, use it, play with it, but not actually make any changes to your computer! You will notice that it may run a bit slower than it will when fully installed. This is because it's running from the CD, which is rather slow. Once fully installed, it will be much faster etc...

It is important that you play around a bit because up until this point, we have made no actual changes to your machine. If you stop now for any reason, then you will have made no changes to your system and are home free. So if there are any major problems, deal with them now.

4) Making a partition for Ubuntu

Now that you're ready to install Ubuntu, we need to give it a place to live. Currently, Windows is hogging your entire Hard Drive, so we need to tell it to give us some space.

Vista has a very nice partition editor for us to use. In the past, edition partitions was very difficult, but not so much anymore.

Inside Windows, go to Start -> then right click "Computer" and click "Manage". This will bring up the Computer Management window.

On the left hand side, there is an option that says "Storage", click that then click "Disk Management" right below it. You should now be able to see the different disk partitions that your computer has. A partition is a way of separating your Hard Drive into several different ones. That way your computer thinks you have multiple hard drives when really there's only one.

What you want to do is right click on the C: drive and select "shrink partition". Then shrink it by however much you would like. Keep in mind that you probably still want to keep SOME space for Windows. But also keep in mind that however much you select now is going to be the total space available to Ubuntu. Note that you will need 2 Gigs of space as a "swap" zone that isn't going to be for either Ubuntu nor Windows.

Now, what we need to do is make two new partitions. But since Microsoft is dumb and doesn't want you to switch to Linux, you can't make them through the Windows partition manager. For this, we need to switch back to Ubuntu.

Follow step 2 again and boot from the CD into Ubuntu.

On the top of the screen, select Administration, then Partition Editor. This will bring up GParted, Ubuntu's partition editor.

Right click on the Unallocated space and tell it to create a new partition. Select the file format as "SWAP" (it might call it Lunux-swap). Tell it to be 2 Gigs in size. Now make another partition out of the unallocated space which is has the file format "EXT3", and use the rest of the unallocated space.

Select "apply changes" and give it a minute to do the work.

Now you're ready to actually install!

5) Installing Ubuntu

This part is remarkably easy. On the desktop of Ubuntu is a link called "Install" with a big arrow on it.

Double click that.

Now you'll be prompted with some options about language and timezone and stuff. Go ahead and fill it out for yourself. Keep going through the menu options until you get to this:

This is where you get to choose where to install Ubuntu. Select "Manual" and hit next. Now you'll be presented with a list of your partitions.

*picture of next screen*

Make sure to select the EXT3 partition you just made as the install path.

Hit next and you're on your way. The computer may restart.

6) Profit

You've done it! You're all set! You now have a machine dual-booting with Windows and Ubuntu Linux.

When the computer starts, you should see a menu option of which Operating System to start, Ubuntu or Windows.

If you wish to edit this menu, you can proceed to the next step. But if you're satisfied with how it is, you can stop here and enjoy!

7) (Optional) Editing the GRUB boot menu

By default GRUB (the thing which asks you which OS to load when your computer starts) will have Ubuntu at the top and Windows at the bottom, and if you don't select anything within 8 seconds, it will automatically boot into Ubuntu.

GRUB looks like this by default:

You can change this, however. You can make it do and say all sorts of cool things. One of my favorites is to put in an option called "Self-Destruct" which then runs a countdown and then shuts off.

Lol.

*details on editing GRUB to come*

There you have it! I will be editing this a lot soon with pictures and more details. But this should be good to go off of for now. Hopefully I will add some color and stuff to make it mooe readable, too.

I would appreciate any feedback, so feel free to let me know what you think.

Enjoy!
-AltF4

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord

You did all this foe me :D

Joking :p

I will try this later, but at the moment my headset for skype just came in :D

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Wow. This is a great guide And it's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks. I have a question though. What is the difference between linux ubuntu and Linux fedora? I've seen both of them and they look the exact same.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
StreetRarc:

They are different "distributions" as I mentioned earlier. They both contain the Linux kernel, and so are the same at the core of things. But will feel and act differently because they have different programs, shells, visual styles, etc...

I'm not an expert is Fedora, so this guide will not include it I'm afraid.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Oh ok, that's fine. I'm going to load them both on a disk, and see which one I like the best. I'm probably going to use Ubuntu though, just because I know more about it.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Right! I recall getting that exact error message myself. You have to define one of your partitions as root. it should be under the "edit partition" option. You have to make the ext3 partition root aka: "/". Backslash in Linux terms is root.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
All right, I am getting a MacBook soon. I rather not do it on this computer just yet. How hard would it be to put Ubuntu on a MacBook?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Apparently you can use BootCamp if you want, and don't need to use GRUB. I'll look into it, but it more, but it looks like it'll be very similar. You can certainly try out the Live CD without making any system changes, though.

Should be the same: Make partition, install Ubuntu to new partition.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I now strongly recommend using the USB installation if your machine supports it. It is much faster and more stable than CD installation. My laptop CD tray stopped working reliably. I was so happy to see that Ubuntu 8.10 features a USB installer.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
You know, my desktop freaks out when I have any USB device plugged into it. The BIOS hangs every time, for every device. My best guess is that it's trying to boot from it and failing, but I certainly removed all but CD and Hard Disk from the boot menu.

So, I haven't tried the USB installation. But it should be extremely similar, yes?

okiyama

Smash Ace
My computer is linux allergiic. I've made 2 ununtu CDs with 2 different version, I tried a tinyme distro. Nothing worked >.>

W/e XP isn't that bad.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
My computer is linux allergiic. I've made 2 ununtu CDs with 2 different version, I tried a tinyme distro. Nothing worked >.>

W/e XP isn't that bad.
What do you mean by "It nothing worked"? Exactly what went wrong? Maybe you didn't properly set up the CD to be bootable.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
!?!?!

Practical reason? How about unchaining yourself from the shackles of proprietary software! Ubuntu is way better than any Microsoft product anyday.

But more importantly, it's Free. Not "free" as in 'costs no money" (which is also true in this case). But rather Free as in Freedom. The source code to Linux distributions such as Ubuntu is Freely available, so anyone is able to modify and improve the code as they see fit. Ubuntu also respects the Freedom of its users, unlike Microsoft who aims only to restrict its users.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Not everyone cares about that Alt. Most computer users don't really feel "shackled" by Windows. Hell, I know I don't. The only real shackle is if you're, say, building your own computer, or you like programming OSs.

I have Ubuntu dual booted, but I almost never go in there unless I want connect to my school network in a shorter amount of time, which is more of a problem with the school than the OS itself [On Windows, you need this program to run and kick in, on Linux you just login]. There just isn't really any difference other than I can run games easier on Windows [Wine/Crossover failed with SSB64, and Steam was bleh].

Also, a friend of mine prefers Fedora Core/Red Hat to Ubuntu. Doesn't really like Ubuntu. :p

If you're big into that whole "Let's remove all ties to restricted software thing", I can see a benefit, but not everyone really cares about that.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
If you're big into that whole "Let's remove all ties to restricted software thing", I can see a benefit, but not everyone really cares about that.
... What about the whole aspect of sharing software without fear of being sued for piracy? Linux opens you up to a world of free software (the zero-cost kind). Microsoft products just drain money over time. Also, provided you configure it correctly, Linux is infinitely more stable and secure than Windows.

I left Windows behind without a single lecture from a Linux fanboy. In fact, I wasn't even quite considering Linux as an alternative when I first started shopping for anything NOT Windows. I was tired of the crappy OS that Microsoft pumps out every couple years. I wanted something that ran faster and had a decent software lineup. Windows (Vista, in particular) needlessly consumes resources to do its little unrelated tasks. Linux runs only the essentials and keeps performance high.

Superstar

Smash Champion
That's not really a Microsoft thing, that's more of a third party thing [I know Microsoft does it too, I'm talking overall]. Linux does open you up to free software, but technically, I can do it too with Windows [minus Piracy and the OS itself]. Many software in Linux have a Windows version even.

And yes, Vista needlessly consumes resources. You CAN make it consume less resources [I did part of that], but, it's not out of the box. It's quite a bit of extra work.

What I didn't like about Ubuntu itself was the poor amount of laptop options [mostly in power consumption area]. Windows let me set max CPU use in different power settings and all that. But, that was just Ubuntu, I'm up to give Fedora a try once I get less lazy.

Otherwise, glad to see you're enjoying it Buzz. I'm just speaking overall for most people, but there are exceptions. If Wine gets perfected, then I might switch completely to a Linux distro.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
So there are simultaneously three criteria that we are judging our decisions off of:

1) Price. This one is not as obvious as you may think. I could easily have said "Linux is cost-free and Windows is not. end of story." And that would have been true. But it would have not been an adequate description of the problem.

You see, Microsoft is not content to let people get Linux for no cost. After all, if people had a choice between Vista for over $100 or a Free and free alternative, guess what people would start choosing?

So they don't let you choose. Microsoft has exclusive deals with computer manufacturers and sellers. They make it so that they either ONLY sell computers with Windows, or if they do offer an alternative that they make it cost the same as a Windows machine.

This is called "the Microsoft tax". In essence, you pay for Windows whether you use it or not. Just about all computers today cost around $100 more than they should, just because of Microsoft, whether they have Windows or not.

You as a consumer should be outraged! You should refuse this, and refuse to support it.

2) Utility This means "how well does the product perform?". Well, this question is easily answered! Ubuntu is way better.

There is but ONE area where Windows has an advantage over Linux: compatibility.

And therein lies the entire Microsoft Business model: Grab the market share no matter what, even if it's a crappy product, then fix it later. They do this with everything! Windows, XBox, Zune, everything.

It leads to a circular kind of reasoning! Everyone uses Windows BECAUSE everyone uses Windows. But not for any REAL reason!

3) Freedom For many people, myself included, this is the most important area. As a user of Ubuntu you are Free. Free to do whatever you wish to and with your Operating system as you please. Have you ever read a EULA? (Those big long messages that you have to agree to before installing something) If you actually FOLLOWED every EULA you agreed to, you would hardly be able to do anything at all!

People don't often understand the value and importance of Freedom until they've lost it.

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
This is called "the Microsoft tax". In essence, you pay for Windows whether you use it or not. Just about all computers today cost around $100 more than they should, just because of Microsoft, whether they have Windows or not.

You as a consumer should be outraged! You should refuse this, and refuse to support it.
don't forget about the apple tax, it's around $500

Superstar

Smash Champion
Eh, Ubuntu didn't really work too well for me on my lappy. Like I already said, few options for notebooks unless I use 3rd party scripts. I can't turn off touchpad when a mouse is plugged in, for example, where I could on Windows [forgot what I did to alleviate it, did I turn off tap click?] Very few power options, few customization in the area of notebooks.

I remember a Linux user go on an [angry] rant about Ubuntu. Oh yeah, also prefers Slackware over it. Those two, Fedora and Slackware.

I agree there is indeed a problem, but most people don't care about it. That's what I meant. You can't convince someone who doesn't care about Microsoft's restrictions, to accept Ubuntu because you hate Microsoft. That's what I meant.

I have not payed for any software on my computer except games [and some MSDN stuff, but all I have of it is Visual Studio, but DLd the OS for when I build mah Gaming PC]. Freeware FTW.

I might try out Fedora, well...mebe later. Compatibility is the only reason I use Windows. Get Wine fixed then I'll be happy. Needs to run PJ64k and Steam perfectly.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I might try out Fedora, well...mebe later. Compatibility is the only reason I use Windows. Get Wine fixed then I'll be happy. Needs to run PJ64k and Steam perfectly.
I've been running Steam flawlessly. <_<

Superstar

Smash Champion
Steam worked well once I removed Ubuntu's special effects in the menus, but, it doesn't work as well as it does on Windows. Meh fonts, doesn't appear on the taskbar, can't make it run on startup [or dunno how]. To play games, though, it might work.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
There is nothing Linux can offer me that Windows doesn't already. I have never run into any restrictions running software that using Dosbox (free) or running the program in compatibility mode didn't fix for me.l

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
There is nothing Linux can offer me that Windows doesn't already. I have never run into any restrictions running software that using Dosbox (free) or running the program in compatibility mode didn't fix for me.l
In Linux you can set any window to always be on top. You can also adjust any window's transparency. Linux also features workspaces, which makes having tons of windows open much more manageable. Linux also runs way faster. If you truly are a "casual" computer person (browse the Internet, use a word processor, etc.), Linux actually crushes Windows in every aspect. Plus, it is free. :)

Windows just sucks. When you finally step out of the Windows realm, you look back and realize how constricting it is.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I dunno, when I tried stepping back, Ubuntu felt too constricting to meh. I should try Fedora, to get a different picture. But either way, I rely on a lot of programs that run ONLY on windows [PJ64k and PJ64k and PJ64k].

Workspaces though is REALLY nice, and the having windows on top. And I agree with the casual argument.

This was typed on Ubuntu. I had only a limited time to go online, so since logging on in Ubuntu is faster [cause they made it slow on Windows, the school], I used Ubuntu.

Also, I forgot the reason why I was arguing. It's because all most computer users care about is performance. Ubuntu, indeed, does start faster [but a casual won't do that, so your casual argument holds even better]. I can, however, fix Vista so it starts up faster. Actually, I only have to wait one more miinute after, and one less minute before, it's slightly the same startup speed. Vista OS starts earlier and takes longer to get going, Ubuntu starts later, and takes shorter to load. But probably that's a Wubi fault [I wanted to be able to get files from my Windows install and put them back].

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Well, I'm a serious-business computer geek who spends most of his time programming. Linux suits my needs perfectly. Later on in life, I hope to buy an epic computer built to run Windows in order to play games (primarily for Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2).

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
In Linux you can set any window to always be on top. You can also adjust any window's transparency. Linux also features workspaces, which makes having tons of windows open much more manageable. Linux also runs way faster. If you truly are a "casual" computer person (browse the Internet, use a word processor, etc.), Linux actually crushes Windows in every aspect. Plus, it is free. :)

Windows just sucks. When you finally step out of the Windows realm, you look back and realize how constricting it is.
In Linux you can set any window to always be on top.

Useless.

Linux features workspaces, which makes having tons of windows open much more manageable

Again; Useless.

Linux also runs way faster

Considering everything I do loads almost instantaneous, this won't make much of a difference.

Like I said; There isn't anything Linux can offer me that windows doesn't already offer me.

I spend most of my time playing games, which almost requires me to run Windows.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
In Linux you can set any window to always be on top.

Useless.
Having my chat window sit where I want it to where I can always see it is quite handy.
Linux features workspaces, which makes having tons of windows open much more manageable

Again; Useless.
You apparently don't run very many programs or don't have very many time constraints. Workspaces are a godsend.
Linux also runs way faster

Considering everything I do loads almost instantaneous, this won't make much of a difference.

Like I said; There isn't anything Linux can offer me that windows doesn't already offer me.

I spend most of my time playing games, which almost requires me to run Windows.
You have to be running a godly machine if everything is instantaneous in Windows.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I don't get your arguments Rubyiris. As can be shown by my posts in the Windows 7 thread, I love windows, but Ubuntu is amazing in its own aspects. Any feature can seem "useless" to a person if that person has never had a use for it, or more importantly, was never given the option to make use of it. Window management in Ubuntu is very robust and customizable.

Anyways, the point Buzz and Timaltmus are trying to argue is that Ubuntu is FREE. They aren't even trying to MAKE you switch, they're simply recommending you try out a dual-boot for yourself and see how it works. Ubuntu was my main OS for several months Until the windows 7 pre-betas were released. Ubuntu is free, and is great for many reasons. Many things do just work, but I do have some problems with its accessibility to the casual user. Like, if we're speaking about my grandma who I want to teach to use a computer, Ubuntu is fine because all she would do probably is go on the internet and maybe play a couple of games. In that sense, it just works. But the casual user today tends to do more than just that, installing new apps(and consequentially messing up their PCs), messing around with settings and whatnot. I still feel Ubuntu is lacking the polish Mac and Windows have in such areas. Like I feel Ubuntu is great for the two extremes of computer users, those who are extremely new to computers, and those who are extremely experienced ninja users. Yet to me it feels like it misses that middle ground where many consumers are today, idk.

But still, no matter what my complaints, its FREE. Thats something I will likely never be able to say about OSX or Windows. And its darn good for it to be free, in all senses of the word.

Now, and important question to Buzz and Timaltmus:

Why aren't you suggesting they install Ubuntu via the Wubi Installer readily available in the CD when you load the CD from within windows? It's so much simpler and virtually painless, the only thing you lose being the ability to hibernate and a tinyyyyy amount of disk performance. Not to mention that if you don't like it, you can just uninstall from Add/Remove programs in control panel as if it were any other app. I think if you want people to try ubuntu, that is likely the best way to go.

Anyways, I think Ubuntu, Windows, and Mac all have something to offer. I had been a Ubuntu user for so long, but I honestly love Windows 7, I'll try not to boast much about it in this thread. Nowadays I only use Ubuntu when I miss/feel like showing off compiz or something =P.

Give Linux, especially Ubuntu, a try. Freeedoommm

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Having my chat window sit where I want it to where I can always see it is quite handy.

You apparently don't run very many programs or don't have very many time constraints. Workspaces are a godsend.

You have to be running a godly machine if everything is instantaneous in Windows.
Response to your first two responses: I frequently talk to many people at any given point, to where having any single window always up front would be a pain in the ***. I've had programs which had this option and I've always disabled it, since if at any point I need to access it, windows has a useful option called a toolbar, which is always at the bottom of the screen. Another equally useful option is alt+tab.

I frequently operate 10+ windows, (not counting tabbed windows in firefox.) however I very seldom require more than one pulled up at the same time. The -only- exceptions has been when trying to learn BNB combos for Melty Blood, which I solved by putting the program into windowed mode.

Response to the last: My machine is very average. The only things that takes more than a second to load are full screen games, and the time required to boot, which is also amazingly fast in comparison to the norm. I highly doubt Linux will make any difference on this what so ever.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Response to your first two responses: I frequently talk to many people at any given point, to where having any single window always up front would be a pain in the ***. I've had programs which had this option and I've always disabled it, since if at any point I need to access it, windows has a useful option called a toolbar, which is always at the bottom of the screen. Another equally useful option is alt+tab.
It totally depends on circumstance. For instance, I often take some quick notes into Text Editor, and then I need those notes for filling in a form on the Internet somewhere. Rather than having to shrink Firefox and place the text window next to it, I can just have the Text Editor stay small in one corner where I can see it. Having to alt-tab every 3 seconds for situations like this is absurd. Again, it sounds like you just never have these situations. I guess I'm just more of a power user. ;)
I frequently operate 10+ windows, (not counting tabbed windows in firefox.) however I very seldom require more than one pulled up at the same time. The -only- exceptions has been when trying to learn BNB combos for Melty Blood, which I solved by putting the program into windowed mode.
Same here. However, thanks to workspaces, I don't have 10+ items in my task bar. I group them logically. Again, I am web developer, so it has more significance to me. I have GIMP windows, its respective images folder, etc. all spilled out over one workspace. I have my code window and browser in another. Workspaces save me the trouble of minimizing/maximizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxldW8ioqq0
Response to the last: My machine is very average. The only things that takes more than a second to load are full screen games, and the time required to boot, which is also amazingly fast in comparison to the norm. I highly doubt Linux will make any difference on this what so ever.
You either have a screwy definition of "average", or the extra seconds feel like "one second" to you. Then again, you're referring to extremely basic programs. But I guarantee you that Linux does all these faster. It's a basic architectural truth: Linux has far less to load and doesn't run any silly background processes like Vista's DRM layer.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
To Back up Buzz here, it doesn't even seem you have tried Linux recently, or at all =/ How can you be sure? I thought Vista was great until I installed Ubuntu and was like O.o at the speed. And although you can get workspaces in Vista, they look prettier and are manages better in Ubuntu without the need for third party apps.

It does depend on taste a bit, though.I personally am not fond of virtual desktops, and I'm very much a power user(Usually running image, music, and video editing apps, in addition to the usual browsers and homework documents and chat windows). I guess I just like having it all in one place, and windows 7 especially makes window management much easier for a single desktop.

However the point is that Ubuntu readily gives you the option. You don't havveee to use the virtual desktops. They're there if you want to. Ubuntu gives you alot of options you just don't get on windows by default, and are hard to replicate without significantly hampering your performance.

And again, its free.

P.S.

Once again, I will suggest you guys suggest installing Ubuntu via Wubi in the OP. Much painless.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Oh, and I almost forgot: I love how Linux runs updates on all your software in one batch. ^_^

Top Bottom