• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to: Dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu Linux

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Ubuntu is amazing, I worked with it a little bit in networking, but I didn't think I would like it.

Well, my computer broke amd I had to run it because it's all my friend and I could do to fix it.

I never looked back.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Quite possibly the sexiest thing I've ever seen. I'm about to wag to it! :chuckle:

Not really, but it does look nice.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Ubuntu > all

I am dual booting Windows 7 now. Finally, I am running exclusive 64-bit systems! :)

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
This needs to definitely be updated and more threads about different installs need to be added too such as:
Dual boot Win7 and ubuntu
Netbook remix install guide
Possibly Ubuntu via USB drive (desktop not netbook)

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Bump to mention that Ubuntu 10.04 comes out tomorrow! I'm having friends over for an upgrade party.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
10.04 is kinda scary. I'm not upgrading immediately like I usually do.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
If it's the windows buttons, just go in the config editor, and go apps, metacity, general, windows controls( the one that says close, minimize,maximize: /) an move the colon to the beginning.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
If it's the windows buttons, just go in the config editor, and go apps, metacity, general, windows controls( the one that says close, minimize,maximize: /) an move the colon to the beginning.
I know about changing the style. My concern is in stability and features. I'll run it in a virtual machine to test run before I commit.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't partition it manually when I installed Linux. It just wanted to take largest free continuous space and ate up 300GB of my hd which I was planning to try other distros with.

Other than that, it works great! Feels a little much like windows though, I was going for a new "feel". I love the packet installing, where any program you want can be downloaded from the OS itself

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm generally happy with 10.04, seems pretty stable. Halfway considering switching to arch though, just cause I feel like it.

I couldn't partition it manually when I installed Linux. It just wanted to take largest free continuous space and ate up 300GB of my hd which I was planning to try other distros with.

Other than that, it works great! Feels a little much like windows though, I was going for a new "feel". I love the packet installing, where any program you want can be downloaded from the OS itself
That's... odd.

Get a partition utility, back up the hard drive and shrink the partition, that's all I can recommend.

n!njaAttack!

Smash Rookie
I'm generally happy with 10.04, seems pretty stable. Halfway considering switching to arch though, just cause I feel like it.

That's... odd.

Get a partition utility, back up the hard drive and shrink the partition, that's all I can recommend.
I want to back up on this. Before you go out and waste your money on a partition utility, I reccomend gParted. You can use a live CD/USB to mount ubuntu before you install it and it comes with GParted. Or you can go straight to the GParted website and install GParted manually on a live usb and then mount it there.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
As long as you install Ubuntu after Windows, you don't need to deal with any partition utilities. It does it for you, and it makes it really simple. I've never had to deal with gparted.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I haven't tried it yet. I'll update when it launches, but I'm not in any rush to get in the beta. i don't expect to be wowed this time.

I did finally install linux Mint 9. i'm using it now. it's pretty nice.

Thino

Smash Master
unless theres some big changes Im not usually keen on trying betas before the final version , I had some bad experience with 8.04 beta I think , and ever since I always wait for the final version to install

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
The only Beta I installed was 9.10 because I was so excited about it. Otherwise, I wait for the official release.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
So, Ubuntu 10.10 wasn't super exciting for me. Like most people, I experienced pretty significant lagging at random times in a multitude of programs. I have used it off and on since it was released, but today I found a way to remove that lag that seems to be working great.

I updated from the stable kernel to the new 2.6.37 rc2 kernel, and things seem about 3x faster, with no lag spots. I'll keep using the new kernel and report back if I have any issues.

If anyone wants me to walk them through updating their kernel from the command line, let me know and I can give you the commands that worked for me. Disclaimer, this is a release candidate kernel, and has not been officially added to the repository, so don't blame me if it bricks your system.

All in all, 10.10 is pretty sexy if you update the kernel, and sucks if you don't.

I'm getting a littler nervous about 11.04, because they are going to switch completely over to the Unity interface rather than adopting the new Gnome 3 shell. It seems to mac-like for my comfort, but I guess a lot of people like the OS-X experience, so what can I say? I'll give it a shot when it comes out, but I'll probably take the opportunity to install fedora 15 this spring as well, so I have a more classic Gnome interface to work with as well. I've been wanting to try Fedora for a long time. My dad has been a red-hat guy forever, so he prefers Fedora to Ubuntu, and always tries to invite me over to "the dark side" as he puts it.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I used to be an aggressive beta tester. Now, I'm a version lagger because of how unstable they are becoming.

On that note, I think I'm going to use ext3 on my next install. I'm really not a fan of ext4 right now.

D

Deleted member

Wow this is great. Although i already have had Ubuntu installed on both my iMac and my laptop for a long time (using it now lol) it's always great to see things like this. <3 Ubuntu

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
My copy of 10.10 will not for any reason connect to MSN Messenger regardless of what client I use. Using the same computer/connection and switching to windows 7 it starts to work fine.

wat do?

Superstar

Smash Champion
I just checked my posts from earlier in this thread. The **** was I smoking? Ubuntu's GREAT! I just need Steam for Linux and all the common games I play to get a Linux port and I'd say buh bye Windows forever.

Unity looks a bit strange, but I can see it being wonderful for laptops. Tempted on updating to 11.04 on my laptop once it releases. The unified menubar looks like it'd be a pain for large screens with a decent mouse though.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm pumped about the release next week. I'll probably be wiping my entire laptop and reinstalling both windows and ubuntu. I usually do that every 6 months on the ubuntu schedule, so I can keep my system clean.

Thino

Smash Master
I cant wait to try it , also the netbook edition of 10.10 is mad good compared to any Windows

my netbook was sold with Windows 7 Starter edition and its so laggy , 10.10 runs smoothly on it

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I haven't been impressed with 11.04 this year. I think the Unity interface should have been experimental for another year while they worked on adding the rest of the basic features it's lacking.

I'm not holding my breath for 11.10 to be any better. I might not even update until 12.04. I've actually been thinking about going back to 10.10.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I switched to Mint a while back. I have no regrets. Ubuntu is dead to me.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I used Mint 9 for a while, but I didn't like how they tried deliberately to make it like windows xp. I've never liked xp anyways.

It looks like Mint has distanced itself from Ubuntu enough to not include Unity, which is good. Maybe I'll isntall it and give it a try again. I'd just prefer a more classic linux interface. I was honestly so happy with 10.10 once I got the rc37 kernel update. I'm sad that ubuntu has slid a bit.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What GUI do you guys run on? I've heard good things about xfce.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gnome 2.x.

I think I'm going to install Fedora 15 soon and try that out. Gnome 3 looks a lot better than Unity.

Thino

Smash Master
I didnt really enjoy Gnome 3.x but that is prolly because I'm a sucker for customization and it doesnt seems that there are many of them yet, or are kinda tricky to pull out

and yea I recently switched to Mint too, still has that Ubuntu feel of course since Debian but.. it has this little feel that I like

prolly gonna try Backtrack and Blackbuntu soon because I need them for my network security assessments

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I'm going to switch to the latest Mint when I get in the mood. I think I'm running Mint 9 or 10. I need a new motherboard. >_<

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ubuntu 11.10 is out, and it's not too shabby.

I switched out Unity and I'm using Gnome 3 Shell instead. It's faster and sexier.

John2k4

The End of an Era
I switched out Unity and I'm using Gnome 3 Shell instead. It's faster and sexier.
I've been considering this, since it seems that if I don't reboot my Linux (Ubuntu 11.10) server every week or so, the desktop will freeze up, and the computer will ignore any input, forcing a hard restart. :/

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I installed 12.04 today. It's the beta2 release, which is feature complete and almost bug-free. It will roll into the full release in 2 weeks when they release it.

The new HUD seems cool. I haven't got to play around with it much yet.

After much research, I switched back to Unity instead of Gnome 3. If you install an app called MyUnity, you can customize the Launcher to be much sexier. Also, look up the faenza icon set. It's just better.

Thino

Smash Master
Has 12.04 fixed most of the issues with 11? I remember not liking it on my old laptop, which is why I didn't install it on my new one.
depends, what kind of problem did you have with 11, been running 12.04 since the beta was released it's pretty awesome, the only problems I've had so far are some crashes with Compiz because I want pretty looking cotton-candy animations rotating cube etc.. and that what makes Compiz crash sometimes

but overall the OS is functional already.

Unity is growing on me and I didn't really like Gnome 3 last time I tried it.

Top Bottom