• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Land an Usmash [MAJOR UPDATE]

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I don't think you need to powershield yoshi's up smash to be able to up smash OoS against him, just press jump + up on the c stick/up a and it should hit him with or without powershielding.
Could you test this out and come back with a confirm/deny? :D

kthnx

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
*updated with Hiroi's Grab Release against wall technique

Also known as HGRAWT.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Updated with Thibault's new trick.

Can somebody test this? I think i may have found an easy way to land upsmash on ps1.... during the change between stages when the new stage comes up there is a time when you can use smashes without endlag.. well ive tested this before and its worked a few times already but when the stages change hit down on the cstick twice and up once the result is amazing... you hit with the first hitbox of downsmash once then you hit with the first hitbox again on the other side and then you sweetspot upsmash :0 its pretty crazy when you do it lol and its not too hard to set up.... but im amazed at how effective it is :3
With the grab release to wall, this double dsmash to usmash combo, and the various usmash spots, PS1 is looking preeeeety good.

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
To be honest i almost never have problems landing upsmashes... ask anyone ive played, ill even upsmash a sonic with ease :3 My key is just knowing what my person will do. Almost all of my upsmashes start off with downsmash, then i will either go where they will be when they tech or techchase, or if they di up i will space upsmash so that when they misspace i can punish. Its hard to explain all my upsmash tricks... im trying to get a few matches uploaded

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
New update with Corrupted's really dumb combo, also Raz's new project thing he wants us to investigate.

SH Dthrow Turnip > Weak Bair > Glidetoss > Usmash

Sh dthrow point blank turnip, weak bair (doesn't matter how early/late), glide toss, usmash is frame legit from 70% on mario. non point blank dthrow from 90%
Like, wow.

I'm curious as to who else this works on.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
That percentage is when it doesn't mater which hitbox you hit with, it can start working at 50 or even slightly less if you hit with an earlier hitbox, but not too early.

Its not mario specific, just add 10% for snake, minus 5 for falco and so on.

Also note that after 70%(mario, character specidic) you will have to run for a very short time for a sweet spot. At higher percentages you have to walk a tiny bit for a point blank throw.

You don't need the sh turnip dthrow, point blank glide toss to usmash works too, weak bair just a nice setup.

I made a guide on this about a week ago.

on a side note:

After watching the diddy footstool infinate, i figured peach can do the same at higher percentages with her turnips, with the aid of her float. at lower percentages she can combo with dthrow turnip to insta throw dthrow turnip. I've been checking frame data and it appears to be legit.
this is just a teaser, i'll post the specifics later.

Also found a safe shield combo that i'm not gonna reveal yet.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Wut, turn around? Wait...

Mario. Peach.

Do you mean that Peach will roll to the left but throw to the right or that she will throw and roll to the left? Or something else o.o? Yeah sorry, but I'm confused o.o And the turnip she tosses, must it hit?

:053:

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
excellent corrupted combo. it's hard to work these kinds of things into my game though b/c i like playing gay with pch. ;o

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
That percentage is when it doesn't mater which hitbox you hit with, it can start working at 50 or even slightly less if you hit with an earlier hitbox, but not too early.

Its not mario specific, just add 10% for snake, minus 5 for falco and so on.

Also note that after 70%(mario, character specidic) you will have to run for a very short time for a sweet spot. At higher percentages you have to walk a tiny bit for a point blank throw.

You don't need the sh turnip dthrow, point blank glide toss to usmash works too, weak bair just a nice setup.

I made a guide on this about a week ago.

on a side note:

After watching the diddy footstool infinate, i figured peach can do the same at higher percentages with her turnips, with the aid of her float. at lower percentages she can combo with dthrow turnip to insta throw dthrow turnip. I've been checking frame data and it appears to be legit.
this is just a teaser, i'll post the specifics later.

Also found a safe shield combo that i'm not gonna reveal yet.
@ yaay

after a bair you will be facing away from him. if you perform the glide toss now, you get a smaller glide, because back roll gives a smaller slide. If you turn around before doing the glide toss, you interupt the forward roll, and gives a longer slide.

oh my gawd

I'm currently working out the details on the dthrow turnip footstool string. It can be started with a weak bair from around 25 which makes it super awesome.

also playing around with uair string setups

Also analyzing peach's juggle game vs various characters.

also analyzing hitboxes and frame data for getting out for juggles.

Also checking frame data on nair string (friend is doing testing). I have high hopes for it being able to start a uair string ;o

dthrow -> nair string testing on various characters.

AND

I can 0-death the whole cast with multiple setups.

just sayin.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
I think it may be hard for some to visualise but...

uair string -> footstool -> float cancel -> bair lock in direction with the most stage -> finish with glide toss to usmash.

You want to uair string to high, but not too high percentages, normally 40-50 depending on character. Then you want to get off around 5+ weak bairs/nairs for about 30% then buffer a turnip draw then time a glide toss to usmash for the kill. I've got it down on most characters though some escape it by being to light to be brought into kill percentages with uair string and bair lock.

no vids yet. Thats why I'm not hyping it a lot atm even though its 100% frame legit. I should be able to get some vids next week at a friend's house.

solecalibur

Smash Master
I was expecting a hold c stick up guide but this is even better for me to decide what stages to Cp Muahahaha

~good guide =D

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Bump :)

Donkey Kong
  • Side B
  • Fsmash
  • Dsmash
  • Donkey Punch
:falco: Falco 75%
  • Usmash
  • Fair
  • Dsmash
:fox: Fox 70%
  • Usmash
  • Dsmash

:popo: Ice Climbers 75%
  • Squall
  • Fsmash
  • Usmash
  • Dsmash

:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff 63%
  • Pound

:lucario: Lucario 80%
  • Fsmash (low Aura)
  • Dsmash (low Aura)
:lucas: Lucas 77%
  • Fsmash
  • Usmash
:samus2: Samus 83%
  • Dsmash
  • Fsmash
  • Dtilt
:shiek: Shiek 72%
  • Usmash
  • Dsmash
:snake: Snake 93%
  • Jab (3rd Hit)
  • Utilt
Especially because of these. Fox/Falco Usmash and Snake Utilt/3rd Jab can be reliably punished with Usmash :D. ABUSE IT!

:053:

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Ooo, I do need to add a couple new tricks too.

Like glidetoss -> usmash.

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman
I think it may be hard for some to visualise but...

uair string -> footstool -> float cancel -> bair lock in direction with the most stage -> finish with glide toss to usmash.

You want to uair string to high, but not too high percentages, normally 40-50 depending on character. Then you want to get off around 5+ weak bairs/nairs for about 30% then buffer a turnip draw then time a glide toss to usmash for the kill. I've got it down on most characters though some escape it by being to light to be brought into kill percentages with uair string and bair lock.
That seems like it would be really hard to pull off lol but it definitely looks like its worth trying.:)

Blissard

Smash Lord
U-air strings are enough for me...and I do tend to roll about alot too, being the noob that I am. But for some reason, spotdodging never works for me, and Peach's air dodge is horrible. But who knew that a simple Usmash could be so intricate...

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I miss corrupted. :/ Come back! D:<

This thread is awesome, I've managed to get quite a few D throw > Weak Bairs > Glide Toss > U smash or just a running U smash sometimes. It's pretty sexy when you know Fair won't kill. :3

Top Bottom