• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences and Brawl

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
I determined a character from the brawl roster to epitomize, so to speak, each of the 7 intelligences based on their "optimal" playstyles.
Since I would like to see others' interpretations first, I'll post my own reasonings later on.

Linguistic intelligence :ness2:

Logical-mathematical intelligence :olimar:

Musical intelligence :diddy:

Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence :metaknight:

Spatial intelligence :snake:

Interpersonal intelligence :wario:

Intrapersonal intelligence :popo:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
You appropriated specific moveset and game play styles from each character into what you would call "intelligences" but what I'd call personalities, or how you express specific parts of your thinking or reacting in the game.

Or you're just being cute.

Intelligence :pit:

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
Pit? The first thing I think of is ledge camping with arrows and scrooging :/

Yeah, for each "intelligence" I tried to assign the character whose playstyle best fit the role. Also, not tying to be cute, just trying to look at the roster from a different perspective :)

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Alright in that case, nice thinking, you should explain them, here's my real one for my characters.

:warioc: Cognitive Intelligence

"In general, cognitive intelligence is/(should be) a human-like intelligence."
"...it can be seen as a product of human self-conscious recognition of efficient mental processes, defined a' priori as intelligent."

In layman's terms, I believe the ability to strike out at your opponent with the ability to adapt and sway the flow of battle is important, and being a Wario player, flow and adaptation are major key points of his metagame, due to having the most useful air mobility + recovery (adaptation) and the best finishers + setups from his aerials (flow).

"a' priori" or "the earlier", being, that you have an intricate understanding of the flow of events before hand. Sort of mind reading in my opinion.

On the "human" side of things, metaphorically, Wario represents the human nature. We are all corrupt, sinful, and have faults. However, when embracing them, we are able to look past and find nuggets of gold past all the dirt and grime. Warios are known for being campy to avoid getting taken advantage of from their grab release problems, along with poor range. However, when played aggro and allowed to look past the problems, Wario can shine, especially with his great power and extra props like his bike and tires.

:pit: Rural Intelligence

"Being respective of the environment and the elements and beings in it is a transcendent intelligence."
"...fearful for those around you, thinking outside of your own being and inherent traits, and letting things go."

I think it is of utmost importance that Pit players believe in not just themselves, but the environment and the elements that are not only in it by nature, but also the ones they put in it themselves. This also includes putting them-self in battle with a partner(dobules), OR, fighting off one opponent them-self (singles).

When I say the elements by nature, I mean the stage, its props, platforms, or lack thereof. They play a big part in how much you can actually link together, and where you can pull off kills. Let's face it, Pit has incredibly a hard time getting kills because his range on his best kill move is bad, and the next best kill move is bad because people DI out of it. You have to find the best positions on a map to land these for a kill.

For the elements they put in themselves, they have control over them; the arrows. Looping is an incredible asset to my strategy and it has time and time again allowed me to rely on my own skills at times in order to provide an opening for a kill or more damage. Respecting your ability and the stage's props, you can find ways to curve arrows for the correct position.

Finally, Pit makes an incredibly good partner in teams. But only if you do the above two things; respect your elements and respect the stage's elements. After that, you've got one last thing; respecting your partner. Pit is a character of respect, if that isn't made loud and clear. If he doesn't fit to the environment, he is a terrible representative of Pit's metagame.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
Damn I'm good with instruments :I?

People should invest their money into my electric triangle-playing skillz :awesome:

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
Don't you feel the rhythm when you're dribbling, shooting peanuts, banana locking, and just zoning in general? ;)

Oh, and just to clarify, I chose the character that most personifies the given intelligence, not the reverse. For example, I believe that a higher "level" of musical intelligence, so to speak, will lead to a better understanding/comfort in Diddy's playstyle, while anyone simply playing Diddy does not result in the former.

Also, I've been playing the cello for 9 years :).

@Krys

I really agree with you regarding Wario's playstyle. I think that too many Warios just jump around a lot and try to look for an opening, and fear of the grab release definitely contributes to that. I believe Wario's optimal playstale is to be more "in your face," constantly pressuring/confusing you with his airspeed. At least in my own experience, playing against this kind of Wario (with any character) is a lot scarier.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hey Diddy fits like a charm, but I don't play him, and I play saxophone :p I know ADHD plays the sax too, so maybe there is some truth to what you're saying.

@Krys, never thought about that for Pit.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
:ganondorf: - Spatial and mathematical/logical/reasoning. You need to be able to swiftly assess zones and utilize Ganon's, although slow, nearly unlimited array of zoning options and be able to calculate a variety of factors, such as position, prior actions and assess the probability of their next roll to make reliable reads.

Though, I don't believe that there're multiple kinds of paradigmatic intelligence. I think a person can be inherently apt for a particular cognitive task, but the terrific thing about the human mind is that it's autopoietic; self-creating. If you can understand the framework of something, then enough practice and experience will yield an increasingly intuitive and less cognitive capability. Awareness of a problem allows the brain to plasticize. I won't go too deep into the philosophical aspect of it, but yeah, you get the idea. Just a side note that some might find interesting.

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
@ Verm

Although your overall message is true, I feel like what you're saying about Ganon would actually apply to almost every character, and that he does not represent or epitomize the given intelligences you stated.

For mathematical-logical, I chose Olimar, because he has set "algorithms" for managing his Pikmin, and it is extremely difficult to do so in an "optimal" way while you are pressured against an opponent who can gimp you at any time. Even whistling defensively would "force" an order change so you would have to take that into account as well.

In my own experience, I have a friend who recently got into MIT for Early Action who pretty much never baits nor punishes anything (with any character) when I see him play, but actually finds Pikmin management relatively effortless.

Also, he can solve a Rubik's cube in 30 seconds. :)

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Sushi3, how did you relate musical intelligence with playing Diddy in Brawl?
Unless it has something to do with DKC2 or David Wise, I'm not buying it.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
@ Verm

Although your overall message is true, I feel like what you're saying about Ganon would actually apply to almost every character, and that he does not represent or epitomize the given intelligences you stated.

For mathematical-logical, I chose Olimar, because he has set "algorithms" for managing his Pikmin, and it is extremely difficult to do so in an "optimal" way while you are pressured against an opponent who can gimp you at any time. Even whistling defensively would "force" an order change so you would have to take that into account as well.

In my own experience, I have a friend who recently got into MIT for Early Action who pretty much never baits nor punishes anything (with any character) when I see him play, but actually finds Pikmin management relatively effortless.

Also, he can solve a Rubik's cube in 30 seconds. :)
I disagree. The requirement for high spatial reasoning to play Ganon is higher than many other characters, in my opinion. Ganon can't zone that well. He doesn't have many opportunities to punish because he can rarely safely get in. This forces a Ganon player to make long-term plans and routes on the fly to be able to navigate through several spatially unique obstacles (See: TL).

The mathematical reasoning I think is also in abnormally high demand for Ganon, because unlike most characters, his entire game consists of reads. Pretty much every move Ganon has puts someone in a position for a read. Low% DAirs, Gerudo choke, DTilt, Wizkick cancels, NAir, etc. That also connects with spatial reasoning, because that long-term planning consists of logically probable responses the opponent will take to an aggressor Ganon lol.

Most every character <does> require a little bit from each facility, but some characters, I think, definitely do demand a lot more in certain areas than others. MK, for example, requires, in my eyes, very little mathematical reasoning, as reads aren't 1/20 as important to his metagame as Ganon's.

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
"The mathematical reasoning I think is also in abnormally high demand for Ganon, because unlike most characters, his entire game consists of reads."

I don't see how "mathematical" reasoning is closely linked with making reads.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
"The mathematical reasoning I think is also in abnormally high demand for Ganon, because unlike most characters, his entire game consists of reads."

I don't see how "mathematical" reasoning is closely linked with making reads.
Mathematics is synonymous with logic and essentially when you main a character that relies on reads almost exclusively, you develop a sort of probability function in your head that allows you to more accurately make reads, or cover the most options with the least risk. Counterfactuals; "if" statements, are mathematical essentially. For example:

∃p[Sp∧Cp→Rp]

Is a mathematical way to express "If in a corner, some smart players will roll towards the ledge." I know that looks a bit over-the-top, but I thought it'd illustrate what I'm talking about. :p

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It's true, the smart move (except against MK) is usually roll towards the edge if you're already there.

I think this might be going over the top regarding characters. No character requires more or less intelligence than the others to play, just smarts and practice. If all players had the same skill in a Brawl tourney, the most intelligent people are the ones usually doing better. It may depend on the character a bit, but even then, they could be doing better with lower-tiered characters such as Yoshi simply because they've got better cognitive skills.

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
Technically, we are all wired "mathematically". I believe that every living organism is entirely composed of "If->then" statements entirely created by nature and nurture. Therefore, if it were possible to "read" this computer program for every person, we would be able to precisely predict the exact location, orientation, and atomic composition of every person in say, 10 years, given only the current status of the aforemented variables and this program. However, this program would be too complex for even the most powerful supercomputer to run, let alone actually give an output.

Yet people are still able to make somewhat accurate "predictions" about IRL or in game, not because we consciously think of using a mathematical formula, but because the human brain is so mysteriously powerful that it can amalgamize information and spit
out an answer/output without you actually being able to understand what just went on. Sure, you could give reasons why you did so afterwards, but reasons must be supported by more fundamental reasons, and so on, and eventually you would hit a postulate, so to speak, that you "know" and "feel" to be true, but can't really explain why you had in the first place.

Anyway, relating to PvP situations in general, such as competitive sports, or Brawl, I believe that when people make "reads" on their opponent in the heat of battle, it was usually due to intuition or as one might say, a "gut feeling." Yes, you sort of develop a probability function, but you don't really think about it. I highly doubt that many people think "mathematically" by actually composing "If->then" statements. Your brain automatically does it for you much more efficiently than if you actually decided to.

However, some people are better at mathematics than others. For example, in Computer Science, a field highly associated with math and logic, you cannot simply let your brain do the analysis; you must consciously create logic statements and efficiently organize them into a working program. This is what I mean by "Mathematical/Logical" intelligence.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Technically, we are all wired "mathematically". I believe that every living organism is entirely composed of "If->then" statements entirely created by nature and nurture. Therefore, if it were possible to "read" this computer program for every person, we would be able to precisely predict the exact location, orientation, and atomic composition of every person in say, 10 years, given only the current status of the aforemented variables and this program. However, this program would be too complex for even the most powerful supercomputer to run, let alone actually give an output.

Yet people are still able to make somewhat accurate "predictions" about IRL or in game, not because we consciously think of using a mathematical formula, but because the human brain is so mysteriously powerful that it can amalgamize information and spit
out an answer/output without you actually being able to understand what just went on. Sure, you could give reasons why you did so afterwards, but reasons must be supported by more fundamental reasons, and so on, and eventually you would hit a postulate, so to speak, that you "know" and "feel" to be true, but can't really explain why you had in the first place.

Anyway, relating to PvP situations in general, such as competitive sports, or Brawl, I believe that when people make "reads" on their opponent in the heat of battle, it was usually due to intuition or as one might say, a "gut feeling." Yes, you sort of develop a probability function, but you don't really think about it. I highly doubt that many people think "mathematically" by actually composing "If->then" statements. Your brain automatically does it for you much more efficiently than if you actually decided to.

However, some people are better at mathematics than others. For example, in Computer Science, a field highly associated with math and logic, you cannot simply let your brain do the analysis; you must consciously create logic statements and efficiently organize them into a working program. This is what I mean by "Mathematical/Logical" intelligence.
The brain itself is a huge Boolean system. That "mysterious" power, "gut feeling" and intuition is the subconscious reservoir in the brain making billions of calculations a second to arrive at a conclusion based on the very cognitive processes that we use to figure out mathematical problems. So yes, making reads reliably indicates a highly-conditioned brain that's capable of making split-second calculations based on prior information in the match. The reason someone can be good at making reads, yet be terrible at math is because they may struggle with symbol manipulation and the fact that minor probability assessments like those in Brawl are nothing compared to actual math. Math talent is a subset of reasoning talent. Some people who are good at math though, can't spot a fallacy in an argument woven by a 10-year-old, and some people who are excellent debaters suck at math. But they both share a fundamental strength in reasoning, as both take place in the frontal lobe of the brain. Not to mention different incarnations of abstract reasoning all travel through different parts of the brain depending on the "middle-men" involved, such as symbols in math.

z00ted

Can you please explain why Diddy is associated with musical intelligence?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Can you please explain why Diddy is associated with musical intelligence?
I would say that it is kind of a "musical" pattern (think metronome and no not the pokemon move lol) with learning banana control, such as for banana locks, banana "combos"/combos and basic movement. I could imagine the same thing said for Ice Climbers users as there is a timing to their chain grabs and they have to stay in sync (and the occasional solo.)
I could make some more music references but nahhhh:awesome:

z00ted

I thought of that too, and then thought of Ice Climbers.
The banana thing... isn't really a rhythm, though.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Interesting concept. I can see the use of Diddy being music-oriented... What about Link? I'm thinking he's more about spatial intelligence, and/or maybe even bodily-kinesthetic intelligence.

:phone:

@Illmatic - Diddy's single banana lock is more like a rhythm.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
For all the people with no brain on SWF.

This is how you know a character sucks VVVVV

I think it is of utmost importance that Pit players believe in not just themselves, but the environment and the elements that are not only in it by nature, but also the ones they put in it themselves. This also includes putting them-self in battle with a partner(dobules), OR, fighting off one opponent them-self (singles).
LMAO

Krystedez also thought the Japanese were terrible.
-died-
find post plz

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
EDIT2: I just read back and see where KABLAM misinterpreted my posts. If they aren't it I don't know what is. Fact is, I never said japanese were terrible.

Also, Orion, you need to be a bit more clear, I don't even know what you're trying to say by looking at my complicated irrelevant response to this "personality/intelligence" topic.

Top Bottom