• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[[Hyper Viper Beam]]MWC Event in Ann Arbor, MI [[Nov. 7-8]]

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
And Sheik, and Marth, and Peach... well, not so much Peach on FD.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Oh, didn't see this topic before. :p Yeah, I'll plan to come. Wanna team up again, TheMann? :estatic:

Any ideas for the side tourney yet? We never ended up doing the Main Swap one last week at Pandafest-Vayvolution, so there's one if nobody has others. And if it's any colder than what it was last weekend morning when I slept out in my car, yeah I'd rather sleep indoors this time! I won't forget my coat this time, though...

Yoshi's not neutral? FD's gargantuan, no-platform wasteland is the least neutral "neutral" of them all. *shrug* At any rate, the current one-strike, neutral-the-remaining thing looks good.

To address some past issues since I didn't catch the topic when it was new... Sorry about dredging up some of this. If you don't like it, then don't read or respond to it. In fact, you can go ahead and not respond to it regardless. I just want to share my reasoning.

GHZ is totally lame. Hell, *I* can camp the checkpoint to hell, taking the match to the brink of time-out and keeping up with clearly superior players. :p And it ain't none too hard.

I feel like the stage has a lot of parallels to sky world in the sense that the ceilings are dumb and allow "combos" that are incredibly hard to get out of by mashing up on the c-stick, b, or some other ridiculously easy thing to rack up damage. Also, the "you can break the stage" excuse is kind of moot in 1v1 play, seeing as you have to stale your moves and put yourself at risk to destroy it, and even if you do, the stage respawns in less than 10 seconds after the last piece is gone. Also, the huge problem with stalling is involved. Basically, I see zero reason to have it being allowed in doubles play, but absolutely no reason to allow it in 1v1.
"Dumb" or not, the Mansion's ceilings don't also involve you getting stage-spiked at really low percentages like Skyworld can. Usually you can just tech on the ceiling or DI enough off to the side to avoid excessive ceiling "combos" anyway... Skyworld also has that ridiculous narrow passage on the left side you can bounce/tech in forever where Luigi's is uniform throughout, slightly taller than even the biggest characters, and Skyworld also has breakable floors.

The size of the stage actually makes the pillars more viable for unstaling frequently-used attacks by breaking them with lesser-used or non-kill attacks. Compare this to Brinster, which is too small to ever avoid an opponent for long, or minor objects of other stages (balloons, Shy Guys, and so on) which don't show up often enough to refresh stale moves. This makes Luigi's Mansion somewhat unique in that regard, like how Japes is the only (legal) stage with a really high ceiling. Adds to the strategy if you ask me.

As for what Anther said about MK... It's not like MK doesn't **** every stage anyway. He's not the only character that takes advantage of the stage's mechanics. ROB loves this stage because the pillars help his projectile game out, Ness's PK Fire spam on the lower pillars is something fierce in most matchups (and I'm pretty sure both of these trump "Tornado spam"). It's about the only stage any random projectile-user can't just run away like a pansy all match against a melee-only character, since they can just hide behind the pillars for protection. I don't see anything particular broken about it -- there's no abusable walkoffs or walls that provide easy kills, it's not abhorrently large, there's no loop to facilitate pure run-away strategy. (You can somewhat loop around the first and second floor but the ability to go through the floor/ceiling, plus the ability to just break the house down, prevent its abuse.) Some characters have better advantages there than others, such as MK and ROB compared to someone like Kirby or Wario, but that's what counterpicking is all about.

Nine pages, lain? What kind of pansy posts-per-page setup are you running? ;)

Of course, I'm not running any tournaments and therefore the TO can ban or allow anything they want. It's more an argument of principle, since it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks but the TO (and anyone that has sufficient influence over them). If the ruleset is that off-the-wall nobody would show up, but I doubt too many of us are going to base our decision to attend solely on whether a merely questionable CP is allowed or not. Except OS and his anti-MK crusader. :p

All the johns you wanna throw out isn't going to make the MW any better. You seclude and limit yourself if you practice stages that the rest of the country isn't going to allow anyways. Apparently, midwest tournament hosts don't mind contining to be the laughingstock when it comes to stages.
Then why don't they come to the Midwest for once and we can make them feel stupid by beating them on stages they never try? :p I mean hey, if we ever had any major national tournaments, one in the middle of the US would spread traveling costs out better among everyone anyway...

BIG C

Smash Master
Then why don't they come to the Midwest for once and we can make them feel stupid by beating them on stages they never try? :p I mean hey, if we ever had any major national tournaments, one in the middle of the US would spread traveling costs out better among everyone anyway...
I do believe DSF came and ***** MW well not ***** but w/e. the man who goes to EC and other major tournaments and gets like 5th to 9th instead of first.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
yay, no 3 minute procedure of striking stages before my 15 min set.
Most of you guys take longer just getting to your match when it's called than doing stage strikes. Strikes are also easily completed within like... 30 seconds tops.

Really... we don't need another reason to play Metaknight. I'd rather not have to just to avoid being screwed over by the random stage pick.

BIG C

Smash Master
rofl because you know every match doesn't end up on like BF, FD, or SV unless, that's just for me but, I have heard it from other ppl. Why not just make it those 3 on random and then you get to ban CP's? I mean most of the time stage strikes take at least a minute 30 with me, not for me but for the other guy. I already know what I'm gettin rid of all the time.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
Uh, wow this is a big gap from the last tourney I went to.

I might go. Maybe, IDK. but I think I will, as long as anther goes.

shadowthebeast

Smash Rookie
Awesome. Haven't been to a Brawl tournament since CyGamZ. This one is close to where I live so yeah, I think i'll join.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
win your own tournament? you wish. noj and i will **** doubles, and one of us will win singles, u watch

Overswarm

is laughing at you
win your own tournament? you wish. noj and i will **** doubles, and one of us will win singles, u watch
I will also be there.

And Anther.

O_o

LAIN YOU HAVE COMPETITION

Also, I found a really cool de-synch kill combo for the ICs. Remind me to show you if I can do it XD

Overswarm

is laughing at you
is it Uthrow desync into a belay?

Cause that ****'s wack LOL
No... it's an auto shield poke combo. It involves a desynched full hop ice block from one with an f-smash from the other. I generally jab while doing the rising ice block to weaken their shields.

BIG C

Smash Master
well i found out today that I will not be attending this event as if I am in Michigan this weekend I will be in Grand Rapids at a Misunderstood Enthusiasts Living (an) Extraordinary Existence tournament.

lain

Smash Master
This tournament has a guaranteed entrance of around 35 people, with a possible total of 40. MORE PPL PLZ.

This tourney is in less then 2 weeks! Let's hype this **** up!

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Should I hang out with my girlfriend... or come to this...? hmmm
Should you do stuff you can do some other day, or go to a circuit event that hasn't happened in two months and is only once a year? Hm...

Top Bottom