• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IC Introduction, An Introduction to Competitive Brawl Ice Climbers, by Delphiki

Bros229

Smash Cadet
ok, i was playing earlier, and upon accident and maybe plain out luck. i found a potential for the Foward B as an offensive weapon that could possibly evolve as a very useful technique in high level play. ok, i was on FD and playing against a fox (this also happened versus other characters.), and i successfully desynched the IC's. then i used the foward B and alternated between the two IC's and it ended up being some kind of a vortex of doom scenario where popo hit fox, and then nana hit fox and i was able to bring fox from one end of the stage to the other from 0%-70% until i stopped to try and understand wut i just did. my friend who i was playing against has very exceptional DI and knowledge of the game. and he was unable to escape from this "combo". i dont know if this was in your guide, but i think all IC players would like to hear about this. please respond if im mistaken something. or if this has been helpful or useless to other players.

B0NK

Smash Lord
ok, i was playing earlier, and upon accident and maybe plain out luck. i found a potential for the Foward B as an offensive weapon that could possibly evolve as a very useful technique in high level play. ok, i was on FD and playing against a fox (this also happened versus other characters.), and i successfully desynched the IC's. then i used the foward B and alternated between the two IC's and it ended up being some kind of a vortex of doom scenario where popo hit fox, and then nana hit fox and i was able to bring fox from one end of the stage to the other from 0%-70% until i stopped to try and understand wut i just did. my friend who i was playing against has very exceptional DI and knowledge of the game. and he was unable to escape from this "combo". i dont know if this was in your guide, but i think all IC players would like to hear about this. please respond if im mistaken something. or if this has been helpful or useless to other players.
This is already known. It is harder for some characters to DI out but usually this is not the best use of a desynch because it is one of the easier attacks to DI out of. You'll want to mix it up with some blizzards to make it harder to DI out of and finish with a smash when you run out of space. Needless to say, don't get greedy and fall off the stage while using the forward b.

Bros229

Smash Cadet
ok, thanks, i jus wasnt sure if it was well known, because i just found out about it yesterday.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Uggh, if only the forward B- didn't make you helpless off the edge, that would save so many suicides from happening. Or even if it sweetspotted...

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i'm pretty new to the ice climbers and am having problems chaingrabbing. with the dthrow and fthrow, i can often get nana to grab, but i can't EVER get popo to regrab in the fthrow chain and it's VERY RARE for popo to regrab in the dthrow chain (i think i'm doing the dthrow chain wrong, because i'm going pretty far horizontal distance with just the three grabs in one dthrow chain).

i can do a lot of the other grabbing techs (dthrow > fair > smash, grab > charged smash, grab > fair spike, etc...), but i can't get anywhere with actual chaingrabbing.

oh and with chaining to bthrow, i can't even get nana to grab from that.

any tips? at all? :p

great thread, by the way!!

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Well, I ran into the same problems when I first tried chaingrabbing. First of all, Nana will auto slide to your position for some reason when you are holding an opponent making your walk with Nana much shorter compared to the walk Popo has to make in order to reach the proper position to regrab. When you are done doing the down throw/ forward throw to Nana, make sure you tap the control stick toward the opponent just when Nana regrabs so that you don't run and you should move forward right after you do your throw. This should give you an earlier start on reaching the distance needed to reach the position since you don't auto slide to Nana. Also, D-throw chain should move forward.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
On the B-throw...

Sometimes, if your a bit late, nana will do a running grab instead of pivot. Just press grab a bit earlier.

And yea, don't run when doing CG's. Walk.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
hey thanks a ton, guys!

i seriously got like a 6-chain after a bit more practice!! :D
and i even get bthrows sometimes (though i'm still not so good at those. getting there, though).

one last question:
can you bthrow chain when NANA is holding the enemy, or is it just a popo>nana thing?

Mr.DEV

Smash Rookie
Wow! I'll admit IC are probably my least used characters, simply because I never really noticed them. Now that I've seen this I think I'll give them more attention.

Although desyncing seems a bit confusing I feel like with practice I'll eventually get it.

Wanderer7

Smash Rookie
wow after reading and seeing some ICs on youtube i'm interested in the IC's. i am currently maining Ike, and i'm thinking of finally getting a secondary character for me to use against the ones Ike is really bad against..... mostly because my friends use some characters and only spam.... heck if it goes well enough i might even main IC and drop Ike to secondary.

just a question but just how well does the IC's do against Lucario, Marth, and Zelda, and king DDD?
for Zelda, the guy likes spamming din's fire, and the teleport for damage. for DDD, the guy like to spam projectiles (again) and also suck you in and jump off the edge (suicide, though i also get the point if i hit him... yeah they're crazy people).

and just one more thing, Ike and IC would make one hell of a MONSTER team, seriously. chaingrabbing to stack up damage %, Throw the enemy towards Ike, who unleashes a fully charged Erupt (37% damage alone)/or Fsmash (30%). and since Ike kills at low %, ICs would only need to do like up to 20% and let Ike do the rest. this 3 unit team would be BEASTLY.

Slush

Smash Cadet
Wow, I just reread this and there was a lot that I had missed! thanks again!

And at Wanderer, I suppose you're right, but I think someone like Ness/Lucas would be better. With Ness he could start with PK fire, and IC chaingrab immediatly, then PKT2 at the end. Or with Lucas, IC chaingrab and throw into U-smash!

rwahahahaha! evil.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I was thinking on some new grab setups, I haven´t the possibility to test this on human players so it would be nice if someone could test this out for me^^.

On snake and some other characters (really low %): Jab>Dashattack> fairspike=Grab

Would be nice if someone could test this with DI and airdodge^^
wuoted from allisbrawl since noone commented it on more than a week..

Dark Popo

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I don't normally address anything IC, but I was curious if anybody seen this before. I was just bored in training mode and messing around with characters and I got to the IC and I was just messing around (Ike was my dummy btw) and I used their up-B right beside him, into him and instead of the normal Belay what would happen is only the secondary climber would go up as an attack, and the lead one just shortly hops off the ground, but you do damage and you recover right away, I tested this so far on Ike and Zelda and Kirby, it works on the first 2 but not Kirby, so it seems to only work on more human sized foes, now if this was already seen I'm sorry, and it seems useless but i thought I'd share it incase any one thinks it'd be useful or anything
I don't really understand what you're trying to say here, but if you mean by the edge, if someone's edgeguarding, Belay will shoot them downwards?...sorry I'm kinda slow right now.

Khaos

Smash Apprentice
:ohwell:uhmmm what does p-grab mean?

P-grab, C-smash, N-regrab, P-regrab, C-smash etc.....

someone explain how to do this? i don't even know what each term means:ohwell:

this guide is semi usefu l man, i wanna learn the ics but there needs to be a term description or something this is advanced guide not introductory at all

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
:ohwell:uhmmm what does p-grab mean?

P-grab, C-smash, N-regrab, P-regrab, C-smash etc.....

someone explain how to do this? i don't even know what each term means:ohwell:

this guide is semi usefu l man, i wanna learn the ics but there needs to be a term description or something this is advanced guide not introductory at all

popo grab -> c-stick -> nana regrab -> popo regrab -> c-stick

boredpsycopath

Smash Cadet
um i think this is a great thread

correct me if i am wrong
but you shouldn't explain more info on the infinite grabs like: timing if the CG are closely grabbed and largely grabbed(spacing of throws basically) and if weight class affects anything with that?

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
This was very helpful, considering I just picked up IC's today. :laugh: The only thing Im gonna have to learn is exactly HOW to CG and Desync with the ICs. I can CG with 3D and Falco, so it should be similar...right?

Kage Me

Smash Ace
This was very helpful, considering I just picked up IC's today. :laugh: The only thing Im gonna have to learn is exactly HOW to CG and Desync with the ICs. I can CG with 3D and Falco, so it should be similar...right?
Nope.

With Falco and Dedede, you're supposed to follow your opponent and re-grab them.
With the Ice Climbers, you're supposed to either transfer the opponent directly between your Climbers (altgrabbing), or use Nana to get the opponent in position for a re-grab (hobbling, among other things). They do have a normal chaingrab, but only against fastfallers at low %.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
The timing takes much more time to learn than Falco or D3. =/
And it differs for every single character.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Well, now I can do the standard one IC Dthrow CG very easily. Im working on the Dthrow-Nana Fair-Dthrow-Popo Fair CG. Thanks for the tips guys. :)

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Oh, alright, thanks! Now that my CGs are...decent...Its time to learn what else I can use as ICs! Thanks for the help, Kage Me.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
So, you WANT to spam CG as ICs? they dont need it as much as DeDeDe. :laugh:
I think FrozenPopo means that beginning IC players should not focus on just CGs. Learning how to use their basic maneuvers and attacks goes a longer way than you think, as they can be better damage builders than CGs in a lot of circumstances.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I think FrozenPopo means that beginning IC players should not focus on just CGs. Learning how to use their basic maneuvers and attacks goes a longer way than you think, as they can be better damage builders than CGs in a lot of circumstances.
this. you learn cgs AFTER you learn the rest. it just makes you... well suck....

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Why didnt you just- nvm. Alright. Tomorrow, I will begin IC practice WITHOUT CGs! Piece of cake. :)

Top Bottom