• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Discussion REVAMPED - Week 1 Snaaaaaaaakeeeee

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
i dont attend tourneys that much because i dont have the time. Kakera, 9b, miyachi, then lain thats my order of high ranked IC players.
I barley drop chain grabs and snipa plays lucario no. Aglow also plays D3 now.
I havnt played esam yet but i will love to.
1. Please form complete sentences so I know the context of what you speak of, thank you. I know I don't have the best typing on the boards but please learn to speak in sentences, you aren't texting to your friends here. =/

2. Lain is the best IC in the US, he actually has the means to communicate with us, unlike all the Japanese Icies. (They all need a translator) I'm not saying discredit them, I'm just saying that even past that, you're going off your own opinion.

3. If you don't go to tournies that often then you really can't speak like you're the best so please, step down and listen to people instead of thinking your word is law.

ch33s3

Smash Lord

Every time we try to discuss MUs it just gets degraded to the type of posts coming up recently.

Yea, sadness. I wish we had this back on track with awesome contributions.

Earlier I read Cheese saying that an MK that knows how to approach will **** us. My question is how exactly is MK supposed to approach if we go to camping IBs and blizz?

\My sour mood.
Tilts when we're not dashing. Tornado if we don't have space/time to pivot grab. Dair our blizzards. Ice blocks don't do anything. Bair is safe on our shield. Glide attack our blizzards. There's more, but that's what I can think of right now.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Guest's sour mood was probably the best thing to come out of this thread imo.

IB are useless unless you are trying to force MK in the air. (Why would you do that again?) Or just to tack on damage.

MK Dair > ICs Uair, we can only hit him after Dair comes out if he misspaces it.

The MU is all just waiting for MK to make a big mistake and get a grab.

Piggyman86

Smash Apprentice
IBs are far from useless.

while recovering throw out a bunch to mess mk up when hes following you in the air, and in general just throw them when its safe so they're out there

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
If he's following you in the air and you can hit it with IBs, then you're most likely right in range to get Shuttle looped in the face right after. IBs are really laggy if you didn't know.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Yea. Ice blocks in the air have gotten me naired or looped more times than I care to think about.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Guest's sour mood was probably the best thing to come out of this thread imo.

IB are useless unless you are trying to force MK in the air. (Why would you do that again?) Or just to tack on damage.

MK Dair > ICs Uair, we can only hit him after Dair comes out if he misspaces it.

The MU is all just waiting for MK to make a big mistake and get a grab.
space better.

also if they are at a 45 degree angle where upair wont hit dair (the only spot it wont go completely through dair) just b/f/nair them.

or you know, just run forward and then jump and upair since mk has bad mobility

Sieguest

Smash Master
Did some talking with the ICs in skype and watched some of later IC v. MK vids in the video thread. (Thanks Cheese and Enda for answering my questions and letting be bounce stuff off.)

I know this has been mentioned and somewhat discussed in the past. (Both Lux has made threads over it and Enda has mentioned it quite a few times), but I feel now would be a good time flesh it out a bit more.

What do you guys think about ICs taking the initiative in approaching in the match up? I think it could actually work out a bit better for us if we do it right. We have the tools to create pressure and make something out of it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
IC's should be approaching till they have a % lead and then they should just take stage control and punish MK for landing anywhere.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I've recently changed how I play the MK matchup recently. Or atleast, I have two play styles that I shift between.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
1. Please form complete sentences so I know the context of what you speak of, thank you. I know I don't have the best typing on the boards but please learn to speak in sentences, you aren't texting to your friends here. =/

2. Lain is the best IC in the US, he actually has the means to communicate with us, unlike all the Japanese Icies. (They all need a translator) I'm not saying discredit them, I'm just saying that even past that, you're going off your own opinion.

3. If you don't go to tournies that often then you really can't speak like you're the best so please, step down and listen to people instead of thinking your word is law.
who the **** said i was the best? stfu because no one said that. All i was saying what works for me ... its suggetions bro take them or leave them IDGAF. your choice... Now i c what cheese lux and guest is talking about on why can we fully discuss a mu completely. Even though i dont to tourneys as much i still try to play the best mk there or the best player for any charater there so that i learn the mu when im actully there. i even tell them that and they always say "heres what you need to do". Thats how i learn MU's

ch33s3

Smash Lord
If you're going to POUND, please grammar match me. I'll put up 20 bucks against you having to type in full sentences in all your posts on SWF for a year.

Piggyman86

Smash Apprentice
who the **** said i was the best? stfu because no one said that. All i was saying what works for me ... its suggetions bro take them or leave them IDGAF. your choice... Now i c what cheese lux and guest is talking about on why can we fully discuss a mu completely. Even though i dont to tourneys as much i still try to play the best mk there or the best player for any charater there so that i learn the mu when im actully there. i even tell them that and they always say "heres what you need to do". Thats how i learn MU's
protip: ics in friendlies are broken tier

Roller

Smash Legend
I would actually like it if we could get some more write ups on MUs as well; like what is on the first page. Maybe some more recent stuff for the characters we already have mu info on, and have some knowledgeable players give their 2 cents on the MUs we have yet to discuss. 'cause honestly, if I didn't have Lain in my city... I would have no idea what I'd be doing in a number of MUs. Obviously most IC players don't have a Lain/Hylian/Cheese in their neck of the woods to help out, so I think if we could get your guys' help on here it could be a big help.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Sign of a weak individual? Threatening violence. LAWL.

Where are the tourney matches? Where? Wherefore art thou, tourney matches?
i got salty and quit out in my match against seibrik because nan got killed i still had one stock left. he was already on his last stock but i was so pissed. Seibrik and co18 was like why you quit. lol Then we just played 1 stock each out and i lost because he gimped me. because i got to close to the edge. Because when IC are back thrown by mk a good percentage of the time nana jumps.

ill defiantly save matches at next tourney. i have a match of my falco almost beating hr it was close but i dont really have any matches right now.

How is winning a bet and socking you in the face a threat? lol please explain?
a bet is a bet lol

Roller

Smash Legend
Did you seriously just ask how saying you will sock someone in the face could be considered a threat?

And you have a match of you almost winning! OMG NO WAY! Congrats dude!

Anyway, Game&Watch... tips?

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Did you seriously just ask how saying you will sock someone in the face could be considered a threat?

And you have a match of you almost winning! OMG NO WAY! Congrats dude!

Anyway, Game&Watch... tips?
im asking him if he wants to if he agrees to the bet then that means he wants to get socked in the face lol. that simple lol.
Better than your ***** *** im sure
all you do is talk **** on the boards lol trust me if you see me in real life you wouldnt say **** to my face. Nobody was bashing any1 until you, cheese and rubber said ****.

you really want to know how good i am ask some one from FL that have played me and they will let you know. Or stop talking **** plz lol

2-DJeff

Smash Master

Tone down the levels son. I'm tired of having to wipe my screen every time you post.
good joke man(sarcasm)
ill stop talking on these boards but go ask any of the FL players that ive played IC for your self im not going to judge my self because im not conceded like yall.
also it really doesn't look like any of you are doing anything.
Now i see why FL IC barley post in here

DeLux

Be careful how you use Uair. I've seen G&W's use Fire to separate and then keep the climbers separated.

Well, that and Uair of course.

Roller

Smash Legend
2-DJeff, I can "barley" read your posts. I'm not even kidding. And how old are you, seriously? Because I'm honestly guessing like 14-15; if you have a high school diploma already, then I have lost all faith in the American school system.

And thanks for that Lux.

For whoever can answer: How should we go about punishing his (g&w's) backair? Because not being able to pivotgrab it is annoying. Do you have to sheild DI it or something? Would you be able to dashgrab after if they are just poking with it? Or is that pretty safe vs us if spaced well?

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
2-DJeff, I can "barley" read your posts. I'm not even kidding. And how old are you, seriously? Because I'm honestly guessing like 14-15; if you have a high school diploma already, then I have lost all faith in the American school system.

And thanks for that Lux.

For whoever can answer: How should we go about punishing his (g&w's) backair? Because not being able to pivotgrab it is annoying. Do you have to sheild DI it or something? Would you be able to dashgrab after if they are just poking with it? Or is that pretty safe vs us if spaced well?
Just a hunch but I think if you desync into a retreating blizzard, that should be able to punish and atleast scare them out of Bairing. I wouldn't know because my ICs haven't had actual people to play.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Shield the whole thing (you have to angle your shield multiple times) and jab it. That's the best we can do on the ground if they up-b immediately.

However! You CAN shield DI it and grab between hits with a lot of practice. Even better (and what I usually try to do), is get hit, and SDI THROUGH it. Then you can grab or smash for free.

Smoom77

Smash Master
However! You CAN shield DI it and grab between hits with a lot of practice. Even better (and what I usually try to do), is get hit, and SDI THROUGH it. Then you can grab or smash for free.
I was going to say this. I agree.

DeLux

Are you sure it's between hits? I don't have the frame data atm but if I recall correctly that unless you PS, there is too much shieldstunlag to grab between hits nonPS. It would have to have morethan six frames between hit boxes for sure.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Shield DI always seems to buffer a roll for me. I've never actually seen anyone do it without rolling either.

Edit: Also you can grab GW's bair. Let it hit your shield(5 hits) and then when the head dips to go into the ground hitbox you have enough time to drop your shield and grab him.

DeLux

In my experience, if you 1/8CDI, you can ISSDI without buffering a roll. But you need to time the inputs frame perfect or you just tilt your shield and won't move. You can also use the cstick combined with minimal DI input in the same direction, but it buffers grab after. I do this on most single hit moves that I DSG.

Roller

Smash Legend
Shield the whole thing (you have to angle your shield multiple times) and jab it. That's the best we can do on the ground if they up-b immediately.

Alright, that sounds pretty sweet. I'll have to work on that. Thanks. :)

Just a hunch but I think if you desync into a retreating blizzard, that should be able to punish and atleast scare them out of Bairing. I wouldn't know because my ICs haven't had actual people to play.
Good call man, I should be doing this more than I do. I'm asking about the mu because I had to go Pikachu to beat Day in bracket at Nope's after losing game 1 with ICs. lol

Shield DI always seems to buffer a roll for me. I've never actually seen anyone do it without rolling either.

Edit: Also you can grab GW's bair. Let it hit your shield(5 hits) and then when the head dips to go into the ground hitbox you have enough time to drop your shield and grab him.
So don't shieldgrab, you can just drop your shield and grab? Is it a dashgrab?

Top Bottom