• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***Idaho Melee/Brawl Power Rankings***

Relhots

Smash Lord
thats sucks...

did it snow in boise? We got 9" right now and it hasn't let up...we have a snow day tomorrow...its awesome...

QraQ

Smash Ace
Add points based on upcoming and the last tournament we just had.
These need to be updated.

-QraQ

knuttz45

Smash Ace
Add points based on upcoming and the last tournament we just had.
These need to be updated.

-QraQ
Then get your votes in guys! I take them off votes...not tournies, just in case people don't show up...like kinx...lemon....Buzz, Gnosis, and Qraq. I realized with E.idaho we have 26 smashers...active..and semi active...so I think Voters.....Give me a top 7. PM them to me..i will tally the points, and re do the front page

The___cheese

Smash Lord
Votes are a neat way of doing it, but it's not really that fair to people that show up trying to prove something.

You should have to show up to hold your spot.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
The votes are only by the panelists....but lets say gnosis doesn't show up for the next few tournies...he would lose his spot... :) ....One example is Felix, he would be in the top 7 for sure, but since he doesn't show up to tournies he is not there.

gnosis

Smash Lord
Hey you guys, I kinda wanna play again before casting my ballot... could anyone play Saturday/Friday?

Although knuttz/kinx would be the only ones on the list that are in town right now. Hm.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Hey you guys, I kinda wanna play again before casting my ballot... could anyone play Saturday/Friday?

Although knuttz/kinx would be the only ones on the list that are in town right now. Hm.
Cheese is right voting is too easy to have a bias panelist.
I think it should be done on a point system based on tourney results and occasionally the agreed point increase of a smasher based upon the panelists once in a while.

Gnos for now on tell us you're coming to thr tournies and actually come.
Don't just tug on our nibblets till the last moment.

-QraQ

gnosis

Smash Lord
Cheese is right voting is too easy to have a bias panelist.
I think it should be done on a point system based on tourney results and occasionally the agreed point increase of a smasher based upon the panelists once in a while.

Gnos for now on tell us you're coming to thr tournies and actually come.
Don't just tug on our nibblets till the last moment.

-QraQ
Please tell me about any state that has a system based on points from tournies, and not voting, I'd like to investigate how it works. As far as I've seen pretty much every power rankings thread is based on panelists voting based on tournaments/consistency/etc., so I don't know what kind of system you're talking about.

Also, to The_cheese, how would a tourney-based system be more likely to accurately reflect new player's skills than people judging them?

It seems like a tourney-based system like that would be more biased towards older players, since they could rack up a lot of points from a lot of tournaments, and if someone new comes and gets first once they wouldn't make a big impact... whereas people judging their skill could realize that the new guy does deserve first based on one tournament if that's the case. Unless we just carbon-copied the latest tournament results, but that would be stupid for too many reasons.

I think discussion followed by voting is the best way to do it. Multiple votes counter-act bias, and rational agents deciding the places can allow for a much more holistic and accurate judgment than some sort of blunt equation. We're a small enough community that we can get familiar with the players enough to make those kinds of calls.

Anyway, on the subject of me showing up for tournaments, things came up. I'm going to Oregon though, and signed up/paid for the February play'n'trade earlier today.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
what socal does, is they create a panel, and then the panel decides where players should be placed through tournament results/consistency.

IMO, it works much better than a voting/point system.

(and gnosis, there's a point ranking system on this website.... www.getyourtournament.com, i think it's under news)

gnosis

Smash Lord
what socal does, is they create a panel, and then the panel decides where players should be placed through tournament results/consistency.

IMO, it works much better than a voting/point system.

(and gnosis, there's a point ranking system on this website.... www.getyourtournament.com, i think it's under news)
So basically they decide, but it has to be unanimous? Not collaborated voting?

Because that's what I actually wanted but we ended up doing voting and it worked out and I didn't really mind it.

And while the system is nice, I think it's a little bulky and would be... under-fed?... considering how few tournaments we have here in Idaho.

I mean we're only doing a top 5, I think we can figure it out. On the other hand the ranking does list Ken as 17th, so it comes into what people think about what rankings should judge - a ranking of best to worst period, or a ranking of best current performance... which based on the title, they were aiming for the latter.

Also, lmao at the description of the Mountain Home tourney.

Relhots

Smash Lord
and signed up/paid for the February play'n'trade earlier today.
you had to sign up for the play'n'trade thing? I've never been to a play'n'trade so i don't know...

gnosis

Smash Lord
you had to sign up for the play'n'trade thing? I've never been to a play'n'trade so i don't know...
Dunno if you have to before the day of the tournament. Wouldn't hurt though. I'm actually one of the three people to have done it so far, dom and knuttz being the other two =/.

Espy

Smash Apprentice
All PNT tournaments allow registry before and the day of the tournament.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Please tell me about any state that has a system based on points from tournies, and not voting, I'd like to investigate how it works. As far as I've seen pretty much every power rankings thread is based on panelists voting based on tournaments/consistency/etc., so I don't know what kind of system you're talking about.

Also, to The_cheese, how would a tourney-based system be more likely to accurately reflect new player's skills than people judging them?

It seems like a tourney-based system like that would be more biased towards older players, since they could rack up a lot of points from a lot of tournaments, and if someone new comes and gets first once they wouldn't make a big impact... whereas people judging their skill could realize that the new guy does deserve first based on one tournament if that's the case. Unless we just carbon-copied the latest tournament results, but that would be stupid for too many reasons.

I think discussion followed by voting is the best way to do it. Multiple votes counter-act bias, and rational agents deciding the places can allow for a much more holistic and accurate judgment than some sort of blunt equation. We're a small enough community that we can get familiar with the players enough to make those kinds of calls.

Anyway, on the subject of me showing up for tournaments, things came up. I'm going to Oregon though, and signed up/paid for the February play'n'trade earlier today.

If you would've fully comprehended my post you would've seen that just tournament results aren't the only thing we use to guage points and skill.
I also said that the panelists have the ultimate decision to give and take away points as they see fit agreed upon through the panelists. That's why I also believe we should have 4 panelists. 2 for East Idaho and 2 for West.
We can't deny that tournament results hold alot of merit but that doesn't mean that natural progression of skill isn't taken into account.
Now see for someone like yourself (just using you as an example) You rarely come to functions held in Idaho so there is no way to prolly guage if you are better than the people who have been coming and we have seen their progression and think they are better than you.
I just want something that doesn't give dictating power fully to a few. But if everyone wants this I'm fine with it.

You asked about which other states do this same thing:
Texas (except for San An)
Florida (with some personalized rules in place)

-QraQ

knuttz45

Smash Ace
I like the idea dom has. And it wouldn't be a total racking of points....because if you got 1 point for entering a tournament for example...the person who went to the most could be first...maybe doing some kind of average of points, and not just total. This could help the "total" points...
just throwing some crap out there. I know voting can be bias....it gives the power to three people directly...and not people who make the system...If we had 4 panelists...who would be the other for IF? Buzz is really the only one that I can see..maybe chexican or LuLu, but they aren't on the boards...

Lets clarify the two things Dom is really proposing:

1. Should we change our system FROM the voting system by 3 panelists TO a point system that can be developed in the future?

2. Should we add a 4th panelist?

Idaho needs some kind of system that works for a larger community. Even though Idaho is small, brawl comes soon. We all know that people will want to join the community..(maybe) Once these BASE questions are answered, then we can go more in depth.

gnosis

Smash Lord
If you would've fully comprehended my post you would've seen that just tournament results aren't the only thing we use to guage points and skill.
I also said that the panelists have the ultimate decision to give and take away points as they see fit agreed upon through the panelists. That's why I also believe we should have 4 panelists. 2 for East Idaho and 2 for West.
We can't deny that tournament results hold alot of merit but that doesn't mean that natural progression of skill isn't taken into account.
Now see for someone like yourself (just using you as an example) You rarely come to functions held in Idaho so there is no way to prolly guage if you are better than the people who have been coming and we have seen their progression and think they are better than you.
I just want something that doesn't give dictating power fully to a few. But if everyone wants this I'm fine with it.

You asked about which other states do this same thing:
Texas (except for San An)
Florida (with some personalized rules in place)

-QraQ
I fully understand you said panelists would occasionally vote; I already know how that works, so I didn't care to ask about it. What I wanted to know was what kind of points systems people use for tournaments, so thank you for finally getting around to that after throwing in some jabs at me :p.

If that wasn't just hypothetical, your example of me that is, then who exactly do 'people' think is better than me that aren't already ranked higher?

In the end I don't really care what system we use, so long as it's an accurate list afterwards.

Relhots

Smash Lord
I think it would be a good idea to have 2 panelists from east and west idaho...but what about northern? or does that count as west.

gnosis

Smash Lord
Change to what exactly? Tournament points, yeah, but what system are we gonna be using?

If the voting right now is to decide whether we consider looking for one or not, sure, go ahead.

Edit: Also, disregard my vote on the order of the existing rankings for now; I've kinda changed my mind/haven't made it up yet.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
Change to what exactly? Tournament points, yeah, but what system are we gonna be using?

If the voting right now is to decide whether we consider looking for one or not, sure, go ahead.

Edit: Also, disregard my vote on the order of the existing rankings for now; I've kinda changed my mind/haven't made it up yet.
Ok, so lets take a vote.

We will make the new system IF we get a majority. So there will be three separate votes. And since the community, we will see if we will display the top 7.

Vote 1:
Top 5 or Top 7?

Vote 2:
Change the current system, to a new point system that will be made up later.

Vote 3:
Should we add another Panelist. (4th). in E. Idaho

gnosis

Smash Lord
Top 7, indifferent, no because I think the panel should be an uneven number... tiebreakers and whatever. We can add another E. Idaho member if we add another somewhere else too.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
why are you guys acting like i cant have a good conversation...unless its someone else trying to talk like they are cool.:ohwell:
This is gnosis actually.

I just noticed no one responded to that, so I did in the middle of the night. And I thought you'd appreciate the nickname Radhotz.

I mean I plan on calling you that either way :D.

Relhots

Smash Lord
This is gnosis actually.

I just noticed no one responded to that, so I did in the middle of the night. And I thought you'd appreciate the nickname Radhotz.

I mean I plan on calling you that either way :D.
hey, my friend wants to know if the tourney is still on at the play'n'trade.

Chip.

you know what to do
Honorable Mentions:
Buzz(1pts.)
LOL
that's all I'm gonna say.

Anyway, how many of you guys from Idaho have attended Fingerbang out of curiosity? You guys should come to SpoRly Bi-weeklie tournaments in eastern Washington since we're like. . . right next to you guys >_>

T0MMY

Smash Master
Knuttz and Qraq did well in the last Oregon tournament.
Also, Gnosis has a strong level of player.
Is there going to be an update on this soon?

T0MMY

Smash Master
Knuttz and Qraq did well in the last Oregon tournament.
Also, Gnosis has a strong level of player.
Is there going to be an update on this soon?

knuttz45

Smash Ace
T0mmy, we will update soon enough...IF a couple panelists give their "votes"...we kind of are thinking of a new way of doing it...but maybe not....We played friendlies last night, and i think we all know where we are....I have buzzez votes,, if you change buzz, let me know. (top 7)
Gnosis, Qraq, give me your votes!
BC-chris, you and BattleChrist need a battle for the Tag BC, best 3 out of 5. :) Also, we should have, i didn't play a lot of friendlies on the tourney day, only before and after days....weird i know....that day went sooo fast...

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
LOL BC-Chris I'm going to **** you up so bad:laugh:

But hey Idaho came to you so you need to come to Idaho this time for our match, and don't start trippin about me not b going with them cuz i've already been there so now it your turn lol.

gnosis

Smash Lord
knuttz should be above gnosis wtf?
If you only saw our performance in Oregon, I agree. It was the first time Knuttz has ever performed better than me... along with Just Action and Sweet Tangerine... which, if you know anything about the Idaho community, then you'd know Oregon isn't exactly the best tournament to just take verbatim for how good I am compared to the rest of Idaho, lol.

Top Bottom