• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
I see what your getting at, however, it's not good to just show a small clip (which is why you shouldn't be getting your moves off of combo videos) since you just think it's going to naturally occur like that, you need to get a whole look at the mindset of the player in the matchup rather then a short clip.

Btw Xyro I could really use some advise on my ledge game, you got AIM?
yes he does

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I see what your getting at, however, it's not good to just show a small clip (which is why you shouldn't be getting your moves off of combo videos) since you just think it's going to naturally occur like that, you need to get a whole look at the mindset of the player in the matchup rather then a short clip.

Btw Xyro I could really use some advise on my ledge game, you got AIM?
ARGH im sorry it took me this long to see your post. Yea my aim is xyro77

Throwback

Smash Lord
For the match-ups covered so far:

Bowser – 65-35 samus
Falcon – 60-40 samus
Diddy – 60-40 diddy
Donkey – 55-45 samus
Falco – 70-30 falco (gaaaah!)
Fox – 50-50
Ganon – 70-30 samus
Ike – 50-50
Jiggly – 55-45 samus
Kirby – 60-40 Kirby
Link – 50-50
Luigi – 55-45 Luigi
Mario – 60-40 Mario
Marth – 60-40 Marth
Metaknight – 70-30 MK
Peach – 60-40 samus
Snake – 60-40 snake
Sonic – 60-40 sonic
Yoshi – 50-50

Left out the ones I don't know.

CLove

Smash Cadet
oh man...first time looking at this stuff in a WHILE...but MK-Samus is not that bad.

maybe I'll share some of my secrets to success later...but it might take a while.

Quickly, I will say...never tether recover. Tether recovery = stock loss against MK.

oh man...first time looking at this stuff in a WHILE...but MK-Samus is not that bad.

maybe I'll share some of my secrets to success later...but it might take a while.

Quickly, I will say...never tether recover. Tether recovery = stock loss against MK.
Because MK can't:

*Gimp us stupidly easily
*KO us far easier then we kill him
*Juggle us stupidly easily
*Destroy our spam
*Wreck us close up
*Stop our ledge game COMPLETELY, this is one of perhaps three MUs where Samus cannot use her ledge game to an extent thats even near viable. You'll get the rare zair through stage/ missle/ CS/ insert move or AT here and then MK will rip you to pieces.

MK-Samus IS that bad. It's just that some Samus mains handle it a tad better then others, but if your not losing 4/5 of the matches you play with an MK, then either he's not good enough, or he doesnt know the MU.

I don't like to put other Samus mains down like this, but I just hate this MU to no end. This, Olimar and Falco are quite honestly my PERSONAL worst MUs.

Throwback

Smash Lord
tbh I have had a fair bit of success against lots of average MKs, it's just that whenever I run into a good one, I get wrecked horribly. It's those matches that make me consider it 70-30 or possibly even worse.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to say that Samus actually has any good MUs. There are so many characters that if they just learned the MU better, they could get around almost everything in Samus' arsenal. If people realized how bad missles were, how easy zair is to grab Samus out of, how laggy Samus' aerials REALLY are, then they could get by a lot more than they do.

As it is however, there are several MUs that are questionably favorable or even for Samus. This is likely under the assumption that both characters are reasonably skilled at playing their character and have a thorough knowledge of the other person's character. Now if this WASN'T the case, then I have an easier time believing a lot of these MUs. But one thing that would need to change would be the King Dedede MU if the last statement were true. Assuming the Samus player has a thorough knowledge of him then the Samus player should be able to avoid all or nearly all chaingrabs. In this situation the matchup becomes more 60-40 or 65-35, Dedede's favor.

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
speaking of D3 at phase i played against Fogo i beat him, the first match he showed me the infinite and as result i lost second i almost beat him third match i did beat him...

not bad for my first legit D3.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Because MK can't:

*Gimp us stupidly easily
*KO us far easier then we kill him
*Juggle us stupidly easily
*Destroy our spam
*Wreck us close up
*Stop our ledge game COMPLETELY, this is one of perhaps three MUs where Samus cannot use her ledge game to an extent thats even near viable. You'll get the rare zair through stage/ missle/ CS/ insert move or AT here and then MK will rip you to pieces.

MK-Samus IS that bad. It's just that some Samus mains handle it a tad better then others, but if your not losing 4/5 of the matches you play with an MK, then either he's not good enough, or he doesnt know the MU.

I don't like to put other Samus mains down like this, but I just hate this MU to no end. This, Olimar and Falco are quite honestly my PERSONAL worst MUs.
The lot of you are wrong. In no way is the MK match-up that good, nor is it that bad. Samus has obvious disadvantages, but even then, you underestimate her Kaje.

- Her tether recovery is incredibly useful here. Like ridiculously so. If you have a slow reaction time/no idea/are predictable beyond belief, it'll obviously get you killed. But at the same time, it makes your ledge game all the better. While it doesn't seem like it 95% of the time, MK can be gimped. Add to it that you could optionally drop the tether/Screw Attack back up immediately, grab the edge numerous times, stall with bombs(you're a dead man if you do it while they're close, though), and hit him with most of your aerials given you predict whether they'll shield/Up B/grab/w.e. Samus is one of the harder characters to gimp, work on it.

- Obviously the biggest disadvantage is how low Samus' killing power is. It is possible for MK to kill you in half the time you could kill him. The range and speed he has also becomes to problem here. Good luck if you get caught in a U-air, D-throw of D-tilt, or even F-tilt, Nado and N-air at low %. One of the good things is that MK has hardly any vertical KO moves, so you shouldn't be dying stupidly early that way. Recovering isn't much of an issue, but MK's air game is. Learn when to abuse anything at any given time. U-air when you're falling/approaching the stage, F-air when retreating/near the ledge, N-air/D-air all the freakin time, and B-air when he's behind you(lol).

- In regards to the spam, mix it up a little. Missiles aren't as good(if they are at all) here. Your main projectiles should be bombs and Charge Shots. MK's Nado can destroy a homing missile, not a half-fully charged shot. Z-air should also be used sparcely, since that's kinda what most people know Samus for. I find it particularly useful near/over the ledge and offstage or when retreating(he can still chase you down in the cooldown time, sadly, so be wary). This might just be me, but I find abusing bombs good for this match-up. Going into the morph ball/moving back or forward/hopping will make you harder to hit, and harder to approach. Obviously wise MKs won't blatantly run into them, but they'll at least buy you some breathing space/a lucky hit once in a while.

- Wreck us up close? More dealing with personal style/preference, methinks. Seeing how I abuse Screw Attack(can be DI'd out of, though) and N-air(I'm writing a book on it, coming soon), most prefer to try to take it up to the air or to the ledge with me.

- Olimar is arguably one of the easiest people to gimp; Samus can abuse this like hell. I understand people have trouble with different characters(truth be told, Falco gives me trouble too. I've seen TAC destroy them, maybe he wouldn't fare as well against lolimar, etc.), but keeping on the topic of MK, I'll agree that he makes it difficult since he can virtually go anywhere we can and has an equal if notbetter ledge game than us.

I'll post more on this whenever my comp gets fixed.
It's hard to say that Samus actually has any good MUs. There are so many characters that if they just learned the MU better, they could get around almost everything in Samus' arsenal. If people realized how bad missles were, how easy zair is to grab Samus out of, how laggy Samus' aerials REALLY are, then they could get by a lot more than they do.

As it is however, there are several MUs that are questionably favorable or even for Samus. This is likely under the assumption that both characters are reasonably skilled at playing their character and have a thorough knowledge of the other person's character. Now if this WASN'T the case, then I have an easier time believing a lot of these MUs. But one thing that would need to change would be the King Dedede MU if the last statement were true. Assuming the Samus player has a thorough knowledge of him then the Samus player should be able to avoid all or nearly all chaingrabs. In this situation the matchup becomes more 60-40 or 65-35, Dedede's favor.
Agreed with everything but the laggy aerials thing completely.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Oh Izzy. I can't wait for you to come visit me and Smash God. Much joy! We can discuss MUs when you get here.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Clove said:
Never ever tether recover with MK
With the tether cancel you can now tether recover safer than ever.

Another method I actually like to have MKs follow me off stage when I'm far out, and I bomb cancel and drop really low. By then they've used 4 jumps or so, then I choose to jump and tether the ledge and they are in a REALLY bad position then. Or jump -> tether cancel -> screw attack.

But I agree we still get beaten by MKs. When they know what they are doing, I think it's 75-25. I think Olimar played correctly is 80-20 though. Falco I handle pretty well with Samus. He beats me up but gets gimped pretty easy

Samus' best up close fighting I find is jab cancels -> something (usually run away). MK has answers to that.

The lot of you are wrong. In no way is the MK match-up that good, nor is it that bad. Samus has obvious disadvantages, but even then, you underestimate her Kaje.

- Her tether recovery is incredibly useful here. Like ridiculously so. If you have a slow reaction time/no idea/are predictable beyond belief, it'll obviously get you killed. But at the same time, it makes your ledge game all the better. While it doesn't seem like it 95% of the time, MK can be gimped. Add to it that you could optionally drop the tether/Screw Attack back up immediately, grab the edge numerous times, stall with bombs(you're a dead man if you do it while they're close, though), and hit him with most of your aerials given you predict whether they'll shield/Up B/grab/w.e. Samus is one of the harder characters to gimp, work on it.
You are never going to stall with bombs against MK. NEVER. NEVER EVER. You WILL NOT GIMP MK. I have only ever done it in doubles, to a **** bad MK, any decent MK will destroy any sort of ledge game you have. She is one of the hardest to gimp IF your not MK. Tether is our safest bet, that is where im sure your right, but overall, we just don't have what it takes to take MK on the ledge, he simply destroys us.

- Obviously the biggest disadvantage is how low Samus' killing power is. It is possible for MK to kill you in half the time you could kill him. The range and speed he has also becomes to problem here. Good luck if you get caught in a U-air, D-throw of D-tilt, or even F-tilt, Nado and N-air at low %. One of the good things is that MK has hardly any vertical KO moves, so you shouldn't be dying stupidly early that way. Recovering isn't much of an issue, but MK's air game is. Learn when to abuse anything at any given time. U-air when you're falling/approaching the stage, F-air when retreating/near the ledge, N-air/D-air all the freakin time, and B-air when he's behind you(lol).
That is incorrect. In this particular MU, Dtilt KOs stupidly early cause MK's momentum cancel going vertically is quite poor. MK will catch you with any move at ANY %, he can combo the **** out of Samus, even at higher %s. Being floaty simply helps MK here, we cannot take him down in the air, his uair beats our own in terms of speed and horizontal range, so he covers so much more then we do. Nado > Missles is the most basic thing ever. Also no MK will let you fair from the ledge, it's a simply upb OoS baiter, you will get stomped for doing that. Nair and dair are good definatly, not bair however, he can space his fairs to well and simply beat us out.

- In regards to the spam, mix it up a little. Missiles aren't as good(if they are at all) here. Your main projectiles should be bombs and Charge Shots. MK's Nado can destroy a homing missile, not a half-fully charged shot. Z-air should also be used sparcely, since that's kinda what most people know Samus for. I find it particularly useful near/over the ledge and offstage or when retreating(he can still chase you down in the cooldown time, sadly, so be wary). This might just be me, but I find abusing bombs good for this match-up. Going into the morph ball/moving back or forward/hopping will make you harder to hit, and harder to approach. Obviously wise MKs won't blatantly run into them, but they'll at least buy you some breathing space/a lucky hit once in a while.
Why on earth would you use bombs on an MK? MK will destroy the lag on those moves, which is why bair is such a bad idea. Uair, dair, nair and zair at literally your best and only bets here, bombs are not. CS works amazingly against MK, that I can agree with, it simply annihlates him. It is just you with bombs, no other Samus can use them effictivly, have you seen Xyro v M2K? It was disgusting. Fairs, missles and bombs were all punished so badly.

- Wreck us up close? More dealing with personal style/preference, methinks. Seeing how I abuse Screw Attack(can be DI'd out of, though) and N-air(I'm writing a book on it, coming soon), most prefer to try to take it up to the air or to the ledge with me.
Screw attack is NEAR to useless against a MK who can SDI. Infact, more often then not, MK will simply DI out of this move near to automatically / on reaction, granted, it punishes some approaches, but MK will punish us more oftenly then we punish him, remember, he also has a beautiful UpB OoS that even has INVINCIBILITY, when ours DOES NOT. I would also like to add that a good MK won't even let you touch his shield unless he WANTS this to happen

- Olimar is arguably one of the easiest people to gimp; Samus can abuse this like hell. I understand people have trouble with different characters(truth be told, Falco gives me trouble too. I've seen TAC destroy them, maybe he wouldn't fare as well against lolimar, etc.), but keeping on the topic of MK, I'll agree that he makes it difficult since he can virtually go anywhere we can and has an equal if notbetter ledge game than us.
We gimp Olimar easily, agreed to the maximum amount I can on that, HOWEVER, you will not get Olimar off stage. I can tell you that with 100% guarantee. The only time you will get Olimar off stage is when he's going to die. Olimar's Pikmin block missles/cs, his spam > our own and his grab range even beats ours, is more useful and he can KO us INCREDIBLY early. This is not just a personal thing, Noid also has problems with this MU, as do plenty of other Samus players.

Read Hive's writeup for more information on this MU, it is seriously one of the most horrible things ever. Granted, I probably hate it more then you guys, but I know **** well we get ***** by this guy.
Lance has this MU so **** right. We have nothing on him up close, and when I say nothing, I mean literally nothing, give me a single scenario for Samus and I'll give you a counter MK has for it.

@Mr9, wow :O. Nice one dude, can you give us a quick write up?

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
@ Ismar, the laggy aerial thing is pretty true. The quickest canceling aerial move she has (not including specials) is uair I believe. Now you cant really punish that one unless you are small, because the hitbox just won't hit them unless they tried countering with a move that extends their hurtbox upwards. Correct though, most characters don't have the necessary moves to punish it.

Try moves like dair. That move has so much lag upon landing, not really, but enough that they can grab you out of it. The shield wins out so much in this game, it is ridiculous. Everything with Samus has to be spaced just perfect for her to win most of her matches. Heck, I've been grabbed out of an uair -> buffered upB. Although I will say this, I should have pressured their shield before trying that.

Xyro77

Anybdy who says you can GIMP metaknight is clearly on drugs. Unless meta uses up all his jumps, you aint gimping him. As for olimar, it is easy to gimp him but getting him OFF the stage is rather hard.

Jaws said it pretty good when he said metaknight can combo you at nearly every % with nearly every move. Samus was BUILT to get comboed(seriously) and she has next to NOTHING to stop it due to meta trans priority.

IMO the hardest MUs for samus are(assuming you do not ledge stall like i do)

DDD
Olimar
Meta(he might can be switched with oli)

This is prob off topic but samus has SOME good MUs in the higher tiers

ROB
DK
ZS

EDIT: i would go into high detail on all of this but so many of you just dont play the high level stuff so its hard for you to see what i EXP every **** day.

EDIT 2: Im really proud of you jaws. In nearly every post you admit samus sucks. THIS is a TRUE samus main. You can accept when you character sucks. IM PROUD.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
Tell me how to beat high level ZSS. I can handle the other two at least a little, but I had FK down two stocks only for him to come back and win. I couldn't tell where she was worse than I was except when I had her horizontal to me.

And maybe I just need to get wooped by a good DDD. But I still think this isn't one of her impossible MUs. I only see Olimar and MK being there.

Xyro77

Gimping

ZS is like olimar in the fact that GIMPING her is SUPER easy. So obviously your goal is to get her off stage. Once off stage throw some missles to make try and recover below the stage. Tether to re-tether for the simple gimp or run off and spike in the correct place because ALL tethers must start to straighten up before they snap back to the ledge. So when i say spike, its assumed you already know where the they will be when they tether and start to straighten up.

Range

Other than having superior projectiles, your zair is longer than her OVER B and come sout faster. So when u see her OVER B....zair thraight thru it and u will win.

Weight

ZS is MEGA MEGA light(lighter than meta i think) and if she is at 85+ its pretty much going to KO or knock her off stage super easy which means its then time to gimp.

Stupid stuff

Her jab combos are ******** easy to punish. Hold DOWN and shield. This will DI you to the ground and your shield will auto powershield her 2nd(if you DI fast) jab or her 3rd(if you were a little slow). If you powershield it, free Dsmash or D tilt. You dont even need to power shield it if you dont want to. If you just regular shield her 3rd jab u get a free UP+B. Either way you win.

Her BAIR and UAIR and OVER B are her main KO moves. Fair CAN kill if u dont DI the first hit.

Watch for D smash near ledges. If you are caught in them, its a free bair and if u dont tech you might get stage spiked( i know u know this i just had to say it for others). Dsmash on stage is a free bair/fair....ect. You already know this.

The XYRO way.

ZS is ANOTHER character that cannot stop Samu ledge stalling. Abuse it and run timer for free win.

OFF TOPIC:

If i am around for ssb4 i will most def pick high-top tier. If brawl is any indication, winning tournis in LEGIT ways(aka not ledge stalling/running timer) is just not posible with samus. She is not a deep charactr at all and im sarting to have less and less fun with her.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Limited time to repond, so I just skimmed over the last page.

KJ - u mad
Lance - I honestly believe there is no way in hell Olimar has an 80-20 advantage. And on a related note, I've been trying the tether cancel more recently. **** works wonders.
NOID - Can't wait. <3
Rai - I was mostly being sarcastic-ish, but I see your points. I've been grabbed out of nearly everything myself.
Xyro - Agreed on ZSS and R.O.B., but I personally feel DK is more towards even. The ZSS thing is mad true. As good as she can do in the air, she's pretty much screwed by spam/gimping. Her ground game = lol most of the time. I don't see her being super light, though. Light, but not super-light. You're playing people who can't DI/SDI if they die at 85%.
Rhyme - Yayyyyy someone I don't disagree with.

lolwrongcolor

Xyro77

Limited time to repond, so I just skimmed over the last page.

KJ - u mad
Lance - I honestly believe there is no way in hell Olimar has an 80-20 advantage. And on a related note, I've been trying the tether cancel more recently. **** works wonders.
NOID - Can't wait. <3
Rai - I was mostly being sarcastic-ish, but I see your points. I've been grabbed out of nearly everything myself.
Xyro - Agreed on ZSS and R.O.B., but I personally feel DK is more towards even. The ZSS thing is mad true. As good as she can do in the air, she's pretty much screwed by spam/gimping. Her ground game = lol most of the time. I don't see her being super light, though. Light, but not super-light. You're playing people who can't DI/SDI if they die at 85%.
Rhyme - Yayyyyy someone I don't disagree with.

lolwrongcolor
I didnt say it would KILL her at 85% promised. I just said it would most likely put her off stage which would put her in a potentially WORSE situation due to our amzing ability to go off stage and gimp. And i can agree that DK is about even......i consider that GOOD tbh

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
OFF TOPIC:

If i am around for ssb4 i will most def pick high-top tier. If brawl is any indication, winning tournis in LEGIT ways(aka not ledge stalling/running timer) is just not posible with samus. She is not a deep charactr at all and im sarting to have less and less fun with her.
the next game is rumored to be released in japan next year... a friend of mine used to work for terminal reality, and they met Hal laboratory and he being SSB fan he asked the question, they said they had to be hush hush about it but they said 2011 for japan, and leon from RE4
(Resident Evil [best ****ing game series ever]4).

like i said its just rumors, but it came from a somewhat legit source so who knows.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I didnt say it would KILL her at 85% promised. I just said it would most likely put her off stage which would put her in a potentially WORSE situation due to our amzing ability to go off stage and gimp. And i can agree that DK is about even......i consider that GOOD tbh
If anything, it's evenish for ZSS too, but in our advantage. Either way, gl getting any DK/R.O.B./ZSS players to agree with that though.

Wtf does Leon even do?

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
If anything, it's evenish for ZSS too, but in our advantage. Either way, gl getting any DK/R.O.B./ZSS players to agree with that though.

Wtf does Leon even do?
i dont know all i know all i know is a guy from hal lab said something along the lines of this...

now i doubt thats true but if it is i think he might be a snake clone and that is all...

the only resident evil char i think that should ever be put into a game like brawl is nemesis. from RE3. but even thats a little far fetched.

the one thing i think that hal lab should do for sure is come to these boards and see what people hae to say about who they would like to see in the next game.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I've gimped MK about 4-5 times.

If he knocks you off, bomb stall and let him jump out afte ryou. Then drop UNDER him and come and tether grab the ledge. By the time they've tried to jump out to reach you and fair/nair you, they've wasted a majority of their jumps and they can't get back on. It's pretty funny actually.

I'm starting to learn the match more and more and if the MKs don't know precisely what they are doing, Samus can take him out. Only impossible matchup I see Samus having is Olimar...I think I'm going to make a topic on it.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
You definitely don't want to actively seek trying to gimp Metaknight though. You'll die very fast that way.
Better to knock him off then go charge your plasma shot.

Lance can you state the best MK you've EVER faced? Cause' if an MK is reacting that way to a bit of bomb stalling then they clearly don't know the MU or/and their character very well.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Who knows the Samus MU? More importantly, who uses Samus who isn't Xyro?

Bomb stalling is legit, just don't do it stupidly. I gimped an actual good MK by doing in a tourney.

Who knows the Samus MU? More importantly, who uses Samus who isn't Xyro?

Bomb stalling is legit, just don't do it stupidly. I gimped an actual good MK by doing in a tourney.
Touche on that first comment, but... I don't get that second one x.x.

It's really not against MK lol, not a REALLY good one. If you actually managed to do that, then the MK just generally made a massive mistake.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Lance can you state the best MK you've EVER faced? Cause' if an MK is reacting that way to a bit of bomb stalling then they clearly don't know the MU or/and their character very well.
Havok and Tearbear, both are power-ranked. But the gimping happened to tearbear, not Havok and I still got 2 stocked.

I don't use it purposefully for gimping, but bomb-stalling and falling very low as far horizontally across the screen has been working wonders. Just be VERY careful of fair/dair or you're dead. But if MK is getting greedy and tries to come after you, let him come over there and he'll lose a LOT of jumps.

Havok and Tearbear, both are power-ranked. But the gimping happened to tearbear, not Havok and I still got 2 stocked.

I don't use it purposefully for gimping, but bomb-stalling and falling very low as far horizontally across the screen has been working wonders. Just be VERY careful of fair/dair or you're dead. But if MK is getting greedy and tries to come after you, let him come over there and he'll lose a LOT of jumps.
Havok I've heard of, so before you had even said the gimp part, I knew it wouldn't be on him. I've never heard of Tear, nor seen footage of him, did he go to pound/genesis/other big tournament?

I just can't see a decent MK going after Samus while she is in that position. If you are bomb stalling, and I've done this myself, the MK will SL your bomb recovery, kill you, and get his recovery back due to the bomb hit.

Okay guys it's bothering me that this is so dead so can we PLEASE discuss Zelda and put the title as Discussing Zelda? Im telling you now, it will bring information, laughs and drama <3

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Oh, Tearbear? He's a scrub. He was afraid to play us in doubles ladder because we asked to be green (aka he was afraid xP) and had some superiority thing because his score was like 4 points higher (Tearbear: WE GET PRIORITY).

Zelda: Zair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom