• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike : A Detailed Matchup Guide; #33 - Ness

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I guess nothing by this point, I'm just waiting to see whose lucky #14 for Light's matchup guide.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Z'omg Captain Falcon, it's an automatic loss for Ike, he's too much man for him to handle.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
LOL at Optimus Prime, R.O.B. got an upgrade!

On topic. I'll give my two cents later afetr other people give their isinght to R.O.P.B. (Robotoc Optimus Prime Buddy.)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ugh that picture seems to vertically long (although the same thing can be said with the Link picture, it's not my guide, so I'm not one to criticize.)

And it's never too late to contribute, even if the write-up is done, you can still add in some more points that haven't already been mentioned or maybe some things in there aren't right. However it would be nice to refrain from posting the same thing over and over.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You should have put up a picture of WALL-E. He looks just like ROB. XD

I don't know much about good ROB players, but....

1) IMO, he has the 2nd best recovery in the game, only beaten by MK, and just barely. He can attack out of his jetbooster thingy, Use Bair and Dair to help his recovery, and B by itself has good range on it. There is almost no level where he can't get back if he isn't KO'd.

2) Laser is a pain in a rear, and ROBs throw it out a lot. And why shouldn't they? You can use it again within about 3 seconds of firing it, and it only takes about 7 seconds for it to be fully charged. And, it's a free way to tack on another 7ish% for basically free. That, and it bounces around if there are walls of any type in the level. It would be a nightmare in Luigi's Mansion.

3) Gyro. I hate this thing. It has too good of knockback for such an annoying projectile when fully charged, and as long as it's still spinning on the ground, it can hurt you. However, once it's still, you can pick it up and use it against ROB. Not that a good player is going to let you.....

4) Besides his Dsmash, his smashes aren't really that scary. They are about average over all when you factor in lag, damage, and knockback. Dsmash, on the other hand, is kinda like Pikachu's Dsmash, but with more range, different knockback direction, and less ending lag. Oh, and no stunning effect to it.

5) His aerial game, on the other hand, is scary. Big range on his spike, annoying fire effect on 3/5s of them. Nair has start up lag issues, but covers all around him, with more range then your Nair. Uair is a multihitting pain in the rear, Bair is just harsh (Think slightly weaker Ness Bair, with a bigger hitbox and fire instead of electricity, and moves him out of harms way after.) Fair has some nice kick to it, but lacks on range.

Don't got much else here.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Ike vs R.O.B.
R.O.B.s tilts and jab have very far reach. Long enough to stop Ike from doing NAir or FAir at close range.
Jab cancels are your best friend and fox trotting to BAir's works pretty nice.
It still feels unfair.......Even with the Godeses protection...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
But Optimus Prime has the guns, what does WALL-E have?!

Okay, before my posts become nothing but jokes, I'll give my insight on R.O.P.B.

R.O.B. has a nice Nair, compared to Ike's this one has more startup lag, the same landing lag (I think) COMPLETLY covers him all-around, and I would assume has a little bit more K.O. power.

Fair...hmm...I don't see too many R.O.B.s use this too often (not that I get many to begin with, and isn't that thing suppose to be high on the tier list?!). Somebody else will have to explain the uses here.

Bair is so annoying. It has decieving hitboxes, hurts really bad, can move R.O.B. forward a little bit, and I think it has a very small lingering hitbox.

Uair is a b****, it can juggle and it can K.O. if done high enough in the air where it can kill you (with R.O.B., this will happen, although you might be able to outprioritize it with a sourspotted/sex kicked Dair MAYBE, don't take my word for it).

Dair...again, I haven't had to really worry about this, although I do know that it has spiking potential and really long range.

Enough with his Aerials, moving on to its Smashes:

One of them is never going to be used unless you somehow happen to be above R.O.B.; like on a platform or something.

Another one has too much starting lag to really be of any use; just shield through it, it has enough lag frames where you can punish this with jabs.

Finally the last smash is just too good; it covers R.O.B. on both sides, has little lag, has lot of power behind it, sticks out like some sort of "sex kick", and can really only be punished with an ftilt because it's just too fast and far for antyhing else, and even then I still question how well Ftilt might do. If you haven't figured out the order it's USmash -> FSmash -> DSmash.

Moving on to R.O.B.'s Specials, they are great...too great, excluding his Side-B.

R.O.B. probably has the best over-B recovery move in the game hands down, the only downside to this is that it can't airdodge during this so you can take full advantage of that like you could Pit's Wings of Icarus if it tries to fly over you.

R.O.B. actually has a LAZOR with his Neutral-B. R.O.B. would have to be "short-circuited" not to use this at any given chance. Uncharged it stops Ike in place, which can be good for siphoning his second jump at any given time offstage. When fully charged has some decent knockback, although you can probably shield/dodge this as it doesn't instantly fly towards you.

Let's see, R.O.B. also has a BeyBlade he can use as a projectile. Again, this isn't fair (but it's Brawl), it has KILLING POTENTIAL when charged, it doesn't even have to be fully charged to send you a considerable distance. Although you could TRY to pick it up like you could an item, competant players aren't going to give you that chance. I might've missed some stuff but I'm sure somebody else can cover for me.

I don't really think Side-B is worth going into just because it's not that great of a move.

Finally covering the standard attacks. R.O.B. has an okay 1-2 punch, it's not great, but it's not bad either I suppose. his Ftilt seems to be really long, probably just a tiny bit shorter than Ike's ftilt. Lastly Dtilt and Utilt can sometiems be used as a lock/juggle for Ike at low %ages.

That's it for R.O.B. mvoeset-wise, somebody else will have to cover up anything not already mentioned/correct some things/ has to come up with a stage that might put Ike in the favor.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
On a bit of a side note, I'm updating the smaller character images with more grand, large scale ones.

Tell me if ya like 'em.

•Col•

Smash Champion

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I want to request that you put something in there with that picture that says "Ike has an army of friends he fights for!" Please, it would make my day.

Also the pictures are good, I was mental when I said the Link pic was too big.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
R.O.B. has a pretty solid advantage. The main thing a R.O.B.'s needs to worry about against Ike is not being stupid and being aware of his rather large hurtboxes. Otherwise, R.O.B. can do a lot of damage to Ike from a distance with Ike being unable to do nearly anything and then go for a kill or go for a gimp even earlier than that.

The key, here is not to underestimate Ike's reach, which is impressively long.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well, if we wanted to talk numbers, I would think it's 55-45 advantage R.O.B. just because R.O.B. doesn't have a good enough projectile game (not without having to wait for it to charge up for the Lazer, and for the Gyro that to has to be charged somewhat just to be of some use other than cannonfodder.)

I would think that Ike would want to avoid any offstage combat with R.O.B. and just try and punish from the safety of the edge of the stage, we all know that if R.O.B. isn't killed by the blastzones he's coming back, and if we try and bring the fight offstage R.O.B. will most likely have the advantage. Although what do I know, we could just as well hit you back with a Fair.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Laser takes 1 second to charge, and can shoot a gyro between it. The speed of projectile game is never an issue.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
ROB's a big target. easier to spike. Solid advantage? no. even? no. I'd say 6/4 only since ROB can do his silly fair thing. Projectiles still hurt since they are pretty good. But who cares about numbers in thread. So no number debates please.

As long as it's not FD You can abuse platforms against ROB. FD would make the match turn more into ROB's favor.

ROB's gotta Up B facing the ledge otherwise you can dtilt him before he sweetspots. Run off bair(stage spike ftw)/fair works too since ROB's aerials are slow and he can't air dodge. facing stage you get run off baired, facing away you get dtilted, ROB can't fair to protect himself.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Laser takes 1 second to charge, and can shoot a gyro between it. The speed of projectile game is never an issue.
His projectile game is overwhelming and his recovery is nearly impossible to gimp if the stage you’re fighting him isn't Yoshi Island.

One more thing: Light, if you remember to cancel the first punch (and do it very quickly) you can restart the jab sequence causing 20% damage total. I’m still implementing it in my metagame but it works every time I remember to use it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
His projectile game is overwhelming and his recovery is nearly impossible to gimp if the stage you’re fighting him isn't Yoshi Island.

One more thing: Light, if you remember to cancel the first punch (and do it very quickly) you can restart the jab sequence causing 20% damage total. I’m still implementing it in my metagame but it works every time I remember to use it.
ROB isn't too hard to gimp unless he recovers high or under the stage.

and only the 20 second laser bothers Ike.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well what I really like about this matchup is at that even thoguh R.O.B. is higher on the tier list, depending on how both players battle it out, there's no clear decision as to who has the advantage. Sure R.O.B. has the projectiles but Ike has the range. R.O.B. has the recovery but Ike has the gimps...you get the point I guess.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Kinzer, that post had no actually input towards the discussion since all of what you said has been mentioned >_> try to think a little.

Just cause Ike can do something about ROB Recovering, don't forget Ike has it even worst vs ROB. ROB can go as far as he wants to gimp Ike. And the 20 second laser is enough to stop you when you are trying to come back horizontally

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Yeah, jab cancelling is so useful it's not funny, yet it always seems to slip my mind too.

And for the Ike analysis, I think I'm just going to write it like I am doing an analysis of Ike from the SBR or something, not Ike v Ike specifically (Though I will include a bit on that). Any ideas?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
*sigh* You're right I guess, I've said enough in my last post explaining the moveset, I'll just leave it up to somebody else to cover whatever else there is.

See ya until #15.

Edit: Yeah, a general description of Ike is what I was aiming for anyway, I'm not sure how a ditto match could even be explained anyway, seems like too many things can happen by fighting yourself. Besides, if you play the character decently you should know what you and your opponent...which is you!, are capable of. :laugh:

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Yeah, jab cancelling is so useful it's not funny, yet it always seems to slip my mind too.

And for the Ike analysis, I think I'm just going to write it like I am doing an analysis of Ike from the SBR or something, not Ike v Ike specifically (Though I will include a bit on that). Any ideas?
Try using these illustrations whenever you are going to make that guide:

http://serenesforest.net/media/fe9illust/x/Ike_Raised.jpg
http://serenesforest.net/media/fe9illust/x/Ike_Crowd.jpg
http://serenesforest.net/media/fe9illust/x/Ike_Strike.jpg
http://serenesforest.net/media/fe9illust/x/Ike_Close.jpg

The first one is my favorite;
The second one shows the friends he fights for;
The third is the Fair from the victim point of view;
The forth shows a menacing look in his eyes.

That's it, sorry for interrupting the R.O.B. matchup discussion.

Shredding

Smash Rookie
Well what I really like about this matchup is at that even thoguh R.O.B. is higher on the tier list, depending on how both players battle it out, there's no clear decision as to who has the advantage. Sure R.O.B. has the projectiles but Ike has the range. R.O.B. has the recovery but Ike has the gimps...you get the point I guess.
there is no way in hell ike gimps rob better then ROB gimps Ike. If ROB gets Ike off the stage thats basically a stock loss if the ROB player knows what hes doing. Once Ike's off the stage, all the ROB has to do is a) Use a fully charged laser to knock Ike back to an unrecoverable position with his already ****ty recovery, b) Go off stage and Fair Ike several times and recover back with his amazing recovery.

And if ROB's recovery was so easy to gimp, there would no way in hell be a chance that his recovery would be number 2 on the recovery tier list in the tactical discussion forum.

ROB has a very solid advantage
60-40 to ROB easily

metroid1117

Smash Master
Disclaimer: I use video examples of myself not to show that I'm good, but because they were the easiest examples to find and reference. Plus, I like Ike-ROB battles.

I personally don't think Ike-ROB is that bad; it's not advantageous for Ike, but by no means is it unwinnable. The main things that turn the tide for ROB are his excellent projectiles; the laser can bounce off surfaces and is very fast, while the gyro can be used to halt approaches if shot so that it lands short of you, rather than right at your face where you can shield it. This forces you to approach ROB, but approaching projectile spammers is nothing new so you should be quite adept at it by now. At close range, however, he is quite dangerous on the ground; his FTilt and DTilt are both fast and FTilt has very long range while DTilt can trip you. DSmash comes out extremely fast and sets up for UAir juggles; however, you can simply hold "up" to get out of it (you might be able to BAir before you hit the ground after you get out, I'm not 100% sure). DThrow does the same; watch out for that as well. (Then again, you should be spacing your FAirs and abusing NAir -> jabs well enough that getting grabbed shouldn't be too big of an issue.)

ROB, in addition to his great ground game, has very good aerials as well. UAir is a pain in the butt, having a pretty large hitbox and juggles very well; NAir has huge range and good killing potential (but then again, a lot of ROBs use this at low %s so you probably won't die from this); BAir stays out for a deceptively long time, gives him a horizontal boost, and can kill; FAir can be used to gimp; and DAir can spike and stall his fall. ROBs will definitely be going out to either FAir WoP (Wall of Pain) you off the stage or flat-out kill you with BAir; watch out for either option. Thankfully, Aether protects Ike from being spiked.

More thankfully, however, is Ike's massive range on his FAir and ROB's size. FAir shuts out ROB. Simple as that. It beats out his NAir and FAir, along with his jabs. When you're close, jabs work incredibly well because of ROB's size, as well as NAir; you'll be NAir'ing -> grabs a lot just because of ROB's weight. Short-hopped BAirs will always hit ROB, and you can even fall on top of ROB with an UAir to go for a shield-stab (see 2:37). Dash attack works wonders, the huge step really lets you get under ROB's guard and may set up for edgeguards.

Ike, in turn, can do some nasty things to ROB when he's coming back to the stage. As Ussi said, is really easy to spike, especially if you set your C-stick to "Attack" so that you don't fastfall whenever you try going out to spike him. Going out to spike him (see 00:32), walk-off DAir'ing him, or edgehop spiking him are all viable options to screw him over. The best part about ROB's up+B, however, is that he can't airdodge during this. That means you can also use reverse Aetherspikes to get him (see 5:05; I screw up the DAir, but you get the idea) if he tries to go over you.

The bottom line / tl;dr version: get in past the projectiles (hardest part), rack up damage (easiest part), then get him off-stage and screw him over before he can do the same to you (easier part).

•Col•

Smash Champion
there is no way in hell ike gimps rob better then ROB gimps Ike. If ROB gets Ike off the stage thats basically a stock loss if the ROB player knows what hes doing. Once Ike's off the stage, all the ROB has to do is a) Use a fully charged laser to knock Ike back to an unrecoverable position with his already ****ty recovery, b) Go off stage and Fair Ike several times and recover back with his amazing recovery.

And if ROB's recovery was so easy to gimp, there would no way in hell be a chance that his recovery would be number 2 on the recovery tier list in the tactical discussion forum.

60-40 to ROB easily
Gimping a good Ike is easier said than done....

Also, that Recovery Tier list shouldn't be taken so seriously... It's based mostly on opinion anyway...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Okay, maybe I was wrong for leaving this out, but R.O.B. CANNOT AIRDODGE WHEN HE IS USING HIS OVER-B! for goodness sake do you know what this means? It means that one well-placed hit will send R.O.B. flying away if Ike just camps at the edge waiting for an opportunity. If you think R.O.B. can escape Ike by just hovering over a very tall height you got another thing coming, Aether isn't used only for recoveries I hope you know. The same thing can apply for R.O.B. offstage if the Ike so chooses to jump and attempt a Fair/Dair, R.O.B. cannot airdodge therefore he cannot avoid these attacks and is more vurnerable to being killed. I say more vurnerable because there mgiht be some ways to get around this, but it's still harder than trying to avoid some of Ike's attacks than say...like Meta Knight. If you want a more legitamite example take a look at Kirby or DDD, because even though they don't have a consistant recovery like R.O.B., they have the freedom of multiple jumps and airdodges.

Edit: There's a recovery tier list? I just assumed R.O.B. had the second best recovery.

Further Edit: It should be known that if you PowerShield teh Gyro it will disappear from existance until R.O.B. cooks up another.

XZA143

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I'm not so sure on Radiant Dawn pics, ya know? I want to keep it closer to PoR, the one SSBB Ike is based upon.

That said, I found and cropped a very nice picture:

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/5843/greilmercwj1.jpg

I think if I get the Ike guide done by today, I'll post it up.
I should have clarified what I meant, my apologies. Your right to use the picture for the time period this game based his model on. I'm just partial to that picture because I think its ******. And I didn't mean to use that picture exactly, rather that image but scaled down to an acceptable size. The picture you posted would fit with his "I fight for my friends" theme. As for Rob, i'll try to get something up soon.

JJR.O.B.

Smash Ace
Okay, maybe I was wrong for leaving this out, but R.O.B. CANNOT AIRDODGE WHEN HE IS USING HIS OVER-B!

Further Edit: It should be known that if you PowerShield teh Gyro it will disappear from existance until R.O.B. cooks up another.
Optimus ROB lol.

If ROB uses an aerial he can then airdodge out of his up-b.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183

60-40 to ROB easily
very solid advantage = 80/20 Silly

60/40 means small advantage

70/30 is a solid advantage.

anyways numbers are ignored in this thread. And its not a lose of a stock once your knocked off. Laser requires a well timed air dodge and fair you have to be stupid to fall for it more than once. But yea, saying it is easier than doing it.

ROB's recovery is number 2 because of the distance if can go. Unfortunately, Ike has a sick edge guarding game and the only ways to avoid it is to air dodge (ROB lacks this option in his Up B), go under the stage or way over the stage.

And because ROB has to use an aerial to get out, Ike can attack easily out of range ROB's fast aerials and outspeed ROB's slow aerials with a simple fair since ROB can only use an aerial and not air dodge.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
80:20 is certainly more than just a "very solid" advantage. It means the character with the 20, will almost never win. 30:70 means you're in serious trouble.

It's 65:35 in ROBs favour. He outcamps Ike and his dsmash Oos punishes everything Ike. Gyro and laser limit Ikes approaching options greatly and I don't even start to talk about gimping Ike...

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
dsmash is DI able just like pikachu's. Laser and gyro may limit but need charging so we aren't just gonna wait for you to let them charge now. without a full laser, you cant gimp Ike too effectively

•Col•

Smash Champion
80:20 is certainly more than just a "very solid" advantage. It means the character with the 20, will almost never win. 30:70 means you're in serious trouble.

It's 65:35 in ROBs favour. He outcamps Ike and his dsmash Oos punishes everything Ike. Gyro and laser limit Ikes approaching options greatly and I don't even start to talk about gimping Ike...
Eh? You can't dsmash OoS... o_O Unless something new has been discovered that I don't know about...

You can only Up Smash, Up B, and jump OoS... Everything else requires you to drop your shield first, which takes a few frames, while the moves I already mentioned (Usmash,UPB, Jump) cancel the shield instantly...

Top Bottom