• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Social Thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Dear Brian:
Please use Ike more. Yours is a work of art. The people are lost without your guidance.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Dear Brian:
Please use Ike more. Yours is a work of art. The people are lost without your guidance.
Thanks Adam :). I don't know if I'd call it a "work of art," but yesterday reminded me how fun Ike is. I think I'm going to use both Ike and Charizard in tournament now.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I used Ike for two sets in a tournament yesterday, I was having a lot of fun using him haha.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Something I'm curious about. I know at a lot of low %s, vBrawl Ike could bthrow to dash attack as a true combo. In PM, I manage to pull it off often, but sometimes it's inconsistent. Whether it's me, or some difference in the frame data, I dunno, not worried about it. I started doing Bthrow to QD, because it seemed to land pretty consistently as well, and the variability of QD's distance and speed made it work at higher %s. Cool.

Yesterday it hit me. Is it at all possible to chaingrab people this way? Can you Bthrow > QD > JC Grab, then repeat? I feel like it must work at least a little bit, but I've never heard of or seen anyone do it before. It seems like something somebody would have tried, cuz it's kind of obvious to me now. So what's the word? Is it possible? I tried it, but I kept screwing up one way or another, cuz it seems fairly technical. Am I not getting it because it's not possible, or am I screwing up?

metroid1117

Smash Master
Something I'm curious about. I know at a lot of low %s, vBrawl Ike could bthrow to dash attack as a true combo. In PM, I manage to pull it off often, but sometimes it's inconsistent. Whether it's me, or some difference in the frame data, I dunno, not worried about it. I started doing Bthrow to QD, because it seemed to land pretty consistently as well, and the variability of QD's distance and speed made it work at higher %s. Cool.

Yesterday it hit me. Is it at all possible to chaingrab people this way? Can you Bthrow > QD > JC Grab, then repeat? I feel like it must work at least a little bit, but I've never heard of or seen anyone do it before. It seems like something somebody would have tried, cuz it's kind of obvious to me now. So what's the word? Is it possible? I tried it, but I kept screwing up one way or another, cuz it seems fairly technical. Am I not getting it because it's not possible, or am I screwing up?
It's doable, but as others have pointed out, it depends on DI and fallspeed. Obviously, it works best of floatier characters. I just wanted to add, however, that you can also do this with FThrow and DThrow; using those throws mixed together can create for some interesting DI mix-ups even though his throws (with the exception of FThrow) aren't particularly fast. In addition, you can also pivot grab out of QD to catch opponents who are too close to you for a standard JC grab.

UThrow -> QD -> JC grab can be used to chaingrab spacies and Falcon when they DI away, by the way. Again though, this varies on DI and %.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Ok, so it's not even a matter of getting the muscle memory of the chaingrab down. You have to be able to adapt to your oponent's fallspeed, and DI while you're doing it as well. That's even harder. Seems like good tech to have in your back pocket though.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Seeing as how I get wrecked as an Ike main in Brawl and need a TON of help, and I'm improving by the minute with PM Ike, anyone got some vague tips on what to work on when playing with PM Ike? Also, it's good to see Metroid here, I remember watching a lot of his Ike gameplay and learning from it, now I know to upthrow chains spaceys and at high percents go for up throw up air/fair :p

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Use that Quickdraw. Jump-canceled grabs and walljumps are tricks you need to have to be able to play Ike well. QD is easily Ike's best tool, so take advantage of it to it's fullest potential. Experiment with QD RAR bairs, fair fiishers, and weak dairs. More than anything, try to find something that fits your playstyle. Ike is a really cool character, so be sure to explore him thoroughly.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Use that Quickdraw. Jump-canceled grabs and walljumps are tricks you need to have to be able to play Ike well. QD is easily Ike's best tool, so take advantage of it to it's fullest potential. Experiment with QD RAR bairs, fair fiishers, and weak dairs. More than anything, try to find something that fits your playstyle. Ike is a really cool character, so be sure to explore him thoroughly.
I use quickdraw often, can do the wall jump techs with it, combo with it, and can do the aerials out of it. From your advice I need to work on my QD RARing. I do use weak Dairs for gimping, for I find it far more consistent than the meteor/spike it has. One thing I try to make sure of is using useful tools like ftilt for a grounded kill move, since it is one of Ike's fastest kill moves, and very strong at the right percent. I'll make sure to practice my quickdraw techs though, thank you!

metroid1117

Smash Master
Seeing as how I get wrecked as an Ike main in Brawl and need a TON of help, and I'm improving by the minute with PM Ike, anyone got some vague tips on what to work on when playing with PM Ike? Also, it's good to see Metroid here, I remember watching a lot of his Ike gameplay and learning from it, now I know to upthrow chains spaceys and at high percents go for up throw up air/fair :p
I think Ike is one of the most fun characters in PM, I'm glad I could help someone else learn how to use him :).

As Nguz said, QD shenanigans/techs are probably the most basic things to learn when starting to pick up Ike. Once you get a better idea of how to QD, you should start getting a feel for how his throws tend to send opponents; QD can be used to follow up from any of his throws depending on the %, character, and DI, so figuring out which throws work best at what % and on which characters is essential to doing well. Generally, at low %, you can UThrow -> reverse BAir when they DI out, so you can sometimes go for a regrab or UTilt after that reverse BAir. At low %s, you can usually follow up FThrow/BThrow with QD attack into a tech chase. FThrow/BThrow sometimes lead into a DACUS at mid-high %s and both throws (in addition to DThrow on floaties) can lead into QD -> regrab or QD -> RAR BAir. Again though, this comes with just experimentation and experience; unfortunately, I can't really give more specific information than that. IMO Ike is a pretty grab-heavy character, so my suggestion is to play around with them after you get down the QD techs.

Rat

Smash Lord
IKE IS THE COOLEST. At least I feel super cool when playing Ike.

Metroid how do you chain throw with Fthrow? I can get it with Run Grab sometimes, but hardly ever with QD Grab. The timing seems to change with their DI.

Also what percents can you throw into DACUS? If there below 40% I want to do BAirs/QD Attack - to keep the pain train going. But if their percent is too high DACUS doesn't combo :(

metroid1117

Smash Master
IKE IS THE COOLEST. At least I feel super cool when playing Ike.

Metroid how do you chain throw with Fthrow? I can get it with Run Grab sometimes, but hardly ever with QD Grab. The timing seems to change with their DI.

Also what percents can you throw into DACUS? If there below 40% I want to do BAirs/QD Attack - to keep the pain train going. But if their percent is too high DACUS doesn't combo :(
Hey Rat :).

You're right, follow-ups from Ike's throws vary depending on DI, and FThrow is no exception. Straight-up QD -> grab usually makes you overshoot the opponent (especially at lower %s), but you can usually get them with QD -> pivot grab if that's the case.

With regards to DACUS, I've had most success going for it ~65-75% with BThrow/FThrow and probably around 80% with DThrow (depending on DI); it's really finicky because it's so DI dependent, but I've had less success at lower %s because the opponent usually hits the ground too soon and at higher %s because the opponent is just too far away. Although throw -> DACUS looks really cool, I think it's one of Ike's most inconsistent follow-ups because it requires more commitment than QD -> RAR BAir or QD -> grab and if you miss the hilt, it would've been better to do a RAR BAir IMO.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Can the flames of Ike's be recolored to blue for consistency purposes?

It bothers me how the flames go from red to blue, unless:

*heat intensifies*

Commander

Smash Ace
Can the flames of Ike's be recolored to blue for consistency purposes?

It bothers me how the flames go from red to blue, unless:

*heat intensifies*
It is only the final smash flames that don't make sense since all the fire is coming from Ragnell which only makes blue fire. The quickdraw flames are fine because tey come from Ike moving so fast and not from Ragnell.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of the fire...why is it blue again? I can't find anything on the Internet that says it's blue, and it seems kind of...odd and inconsistent with the rest of the fire in the game (also it looks like Aura).

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Play Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, or look in the spoiler tags if you don't care/don't intend to play it.

At the end of RD, Ike's Holy Sword Ragnell is blessed by the Goddess Yune so he may strike down the Goddess Ashera. This manifests as a ****-ton of blue flames. Think Kai-O-Ken, only blue. This is also literally the only time Ragnell or Ike do anything flame-related, because while Ragnell is a blessed weapon, it does not magically produce explosions. Which is kind of a pity.

I'm actually proud of the internet that they didn't spoil that bit.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
Play Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, or look in the spoiler tags if you don't care/don't intend to play it.

At the end of RD, Ike's Holy Sword Ragnell is blessed by the Goddess Yune so he may strike down the Goddess Ashera. This manifests as a ****-ton of blue flames. Think Kai-O-Ken, only blue. This is also literally the only time Ragnell or Ike do anything flame-related, because while Ragnell is a blessed weapon, it does not magically produce explosions. Which is kind of a pity.

Oh, nice. Cool then!

Commander

Smash Ace

Actually Ragnell and Alondite shoot blue fire normally as their ranged attacks. Path of Radiance didn't show this because of graphical limitations or something but Radiant Dawn clearly showed that blue flames were the ranged attack.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
No, it wasn't blue fire. It's a shockwave - honestly, the closest thing it could be is a wake of high-pressure wind, like the Sonic Swords and Tempest Blades in RD. Or however the heck breaking the sound barrier works, I'm not entirely sure.

Commander

Smash Ace
No, it wasn't blue fire. It's a shockwave - honestly, the closest thing it could be is a wake of high-pressure wind, like the Sonic Swords and Tempest Blades in RD. Or however the heck breaking the sound barrier works, I'm not entirely sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeeva7fq0Xg
In this is a video you can see the Black Knight fighting with Alondite at 1:50. It looks very clearly like blue fire to me. It also looks like blue fire in the map attack animation. The wind edge that Ike in this using looks like it shoots wind magic. It only looks like a generic shockwave in Path of Radiance, but in Radiant Dawn they went out of their way to make it look like blue fire.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Agree to disagree? I've misplaced my copy of the guide, but I was certain they referred to it as a shockwave and not as blue fire, and no official sources support the fire ranged attack claim. I'm personally not convinced so in my opinion, Ragnell blue flame'd on precisely one occasion.

Or at least I'd like to believe that because Eruption is such a useless neutral B that could have been much better used instead of not even properly representing the games

metroid1117

Smash Master
Or at least I'd like to believe that because Eruption is such a useless neutral B that could have been much better used instead of not even properly representing the games
Uncharged Eruption is really troll vertical kill move if you can't connect with anything else :p.

Also, Strong Bad and I teamed double Ike at the last Rolla Monthly. Videos of the manliness (as well as some examples of how bad I am at teams) will be up sometime this week!

Commander

Smash Ace
Agree to disagree? I've misplaced my copy of the guide, but I was certain they referred to it as a shockwave and not as blue fire, and no official sources support the fire ranged attack claim. I'm personally not convinced so in my opinion, Ragnell blue flame'd on precisely one occasion.

If it was just a shock wave why not leave it colorless as it was in PoR? The fact that they actively changed it to blue and made the map animations also obviously blue is notable. It also makes sense for the swords to shoot blue flames because of their blessings. We have only seen two other powerful blessing and one resulted in blue flames and the other in impenetrable armor. It is much more likely it is blue fire than just a shock wave. It may have been a shock wave in PoR but I'm sure it is retconned to fire in RD. Also Eruption makes more sense with Ragnell shooting fire, though it would be odd that Ike is shooting flames into the ground and area around him instead of at his opponents. That was how I always interpreted Eruption.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Anyone think that the only practical way to use Ike's side b wall-jump is to use b-sticking?

Top Bottom