• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Social Thread

Nguz95

Smash Lord
What is b sticking? I learned the wall jump by jamming the control stick in the opposite direction when I made contact with the wall. It's super easy.

GeZ

Smash Lord
What is b sticking? I learned the wall jump by jamming the control stick in the opposite direction when I made contact with the wall. It's super easy.
I do it the same way. Didn't think their was any alternative method.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Se
What is b sticking? I learned the wall jump by jamming the control stick in the opposite direction when I made contact with the wall. It's super easy.[/quote
B Sticking is setting the c stick to specials instead of smashes.
Rephrase: Is b sticking the easiest way to side b walljump?

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I know what you said, see my last post.
Oh, yeah. Thanks.
Last time I tried the side b wall jump I just wasn't quick enough on the controller to do it thrice in a row. I main Zelda, so I just play Ike for funsies.
Thanks for your help.

Commander

Smash Ace
Oh, yeah. Thanks.
Last time I tried the side b wall jump I just wasn't quick enough on the controller to do it thrice in a row. I main Zelda, so I just play Ike for funsies.
Thanks for your help.
I thought Ike only had two wall jumps out quickdraw.

Commander

Smash Ace
He has one. Unless you're playing an out dated build, Ike can only wall jump out of QD once.
I have 2.6b. He can wall jump out of it twice. I've played Wifi with others and saw them also jump twice also. The project m website also says 2 jumps. It looks like DarkStarStorm has the outdated build if he is wall jumping 3 times.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I have 2.6b. He can wall jump out of it twice. I've played Wifi with others and saw them also jump twice also. The project m website also says 2 jumps. It looks like DarkStarStorm has the outdated build if he is wall jumping 3 times.

Well **** me, I thought they took all but one. Just tested it on my game and you're right.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I thought Ike only had two wall jumps out quickdraw.
I think I was thinking of 2.5.

In 2.6...
Quote PM official site: “Also, Ike can now wall jump up to two times out of Quickdraw, which allows him to recover from far below the ledge on some stages.”

Commander

Smash Ace
I just got so confused...
Please, someone explain this to Old Man Spit?

Two? Or three?
2 jumps. Also don't triple post like that especially so close to each other.

I checked. Two. Which is still pretty freaking crazy. I really hardly think he needs them but why not give him something crazy.
It isn't crazy. It was crazy when it was three. 2 jumps allows Ike to recover from low positions and it also allows him to take advantage of wall jump fair edgeguards while still keeping an important recovery option.

GeZ

Smash Lord

It isn't crazy. It was crazy when it was three. 2 jumps allows Ike to recover from low positions and it also allows him to take advantage of wall jump fair edgeguards while still keeping an important recovery option.

I agree and disagree. I've gotten from tickling the blast zone to the ledge with just one so I don't think it saves him from any situation he couldn't otherwise survive. The utility of having the offensive option while keeping the recovery versatility is nice but I feel it's not totally necessary. If they make it through/ past your Fair, they won't usually have any option for retaliation, or have already done so.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269

But it make him semi-vulnerable to characters like Toon Link who could boss and dair to meteor him while wall-jumping.

Sorry about the triple, I was slightly insane just then, it shan't happen again.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I agree and disagree. I've gotten from tickling the blast zone to the ledge with just one so I don't think it saves him from any situation he couldn't otherwise survive. The utility of having the offensive option while keeping the recovery versatility is nice but I feel it's not totally necessary. If they make it through/ past your Fair, they won't usually have any option for retaliation, or have already done so.
As for retaliation a Sheik could easily grab the ledge then bair your recovery.

Commander

Smash Ace
On many stages you can get back from the blast zone with just aether but being able to mix up your recovery's speed and direction is useful and important for avoiding gimping. In the situation where you would go for a wall jump edge guard your opponent would be to focused on recovering to be able to adequately avoid and it is even less likely they could retaliate.
But it make him semi-vulnerable to characters like Toon Link who could boss and dair to meteor him while wall-jumping.

Sorry about the triple, I was slightly insane just then, it shan't happen again.
That toon link would have to have great aim to do that also he would have a very hard time dairing through an aether to his face.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
On many stages you can get back from the blast zone with just aether but being able to mix up your recovery's speed and direction is useful and important for avoiding gimping. In the situation where you would go for a wall jump edge guard your opponent would be to focused on recovering to be able to adequately avoid and it is even less likely they could retaliate.
That toon link would have to have great aim to do that also he would have a very hard time dairing through an aether to his face.
That's why I said he'd dair to meteor him, get it? Dare?! Hahaa! (Channeling [get it? Channel?] Chuggaaconroy)
Any way I was just giving an example (a bad one) of how the side b wall jump makes one vulnerable.
A better example: Zelda's side b, (I main PM Zelda) would be tough to cope with.

Commander

Smash Ace
That's why I said he'd dair to meteor him, get it? Dare?! Hahaa! (Channeling [get it? Channel?] Chuggaaconroy)
Any way I was just giving an example (a bad one) of how the side b wall jump makes one vulnerable.
A better example: Zelda's side b, (I main PM Zelda) would be tough to cope with.
By the time Ike is at the wall of a stage he is safe. You would have to edge guard aether at that point. To gimp Ike you just need to hit once before he ever gets to the wall or get him while he is in aether's spin. Ike has one of the better recoveries because it is actually really hard for most characters to get that hit in that they need.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure they changed it from 2 to 3 in the current version of 2.6b. Are you sure you guys checked good?

Commander

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure they changed it from 2 to 3 in the current version of 2.6b. Are you sure you guys checked good?
I'm very sure because I tried to do three before I realised that it was removed in 2.6. If project m website is giving misinformation on characters then the PMBR should really handel that.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Commander is correct, you can only do 2 walljumps with side+B before having to grab the edge or land on the stage.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone, I'm a beginner to competitive Smash and starting with Project M because it's the most fun you can have in a Smash game.

I have a question for everyone: What does Ike offer that would convince a player to main him? What is the flavour of Ike's play? What sort of mindset should he be played in? Is there a "goal" or "theme" that characterizes his moveset? What are his expressed advantages? Where are his trouble areas? How do the tools and character Ike offer match up compared to the rest of cast?

An answer to any of these would be appreciated :)

EDIT: I did check out http://projectmgame.com/en/characters/ike but It didn't really help...

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hello everyone, I'm a beginner to competitive Smash and starting with Project M because it's the most fun you can have in a Smash game.

I have a question for everyone: What does Ike offer that would convince a player to main him? What is the flavour of Ike's play? What sort of mindset should he be played in? Is there a "goal" or "theme" that characterizes his moveset? What are his expressed advantages? Where are his trouble areas? How do the tools and character Ike offer match up compared to the rest of cast?

An answer to any of these would be appreciated :)

EDIT: I did check out http://projectmgame.com/en/characters/ike but It didn't really help...
Hey, glad to see someone taking an interest in Ike :).

From my perspective, Ike is a total bad*** in that he's kind of a combination of Ganon, Marth, and Falcon all at once - he has some of Ganon's power, move start-up, and ground mobility, Marth's range, and Falconesque bursts of speed with QD. His throw combos often rely on bad DI, but can be extremely profitable when the stuff you want to happen actually happens. Because of this and the fact that his aerials have different knockback angles based on where the opponent is hit, Ike's combos are very hard to properly optimize. However, once he has an opening, combining QD with grabs and aerials make him very scary to fight against and extremely fun to use when you're on point. He often excels at comboing floaties with throws and has a lot of range, but he retains his problems from Brawl in that he does very poorly against pressure; unlike other characters, Ike lacks a solid OoS option, since his aerials are generally slow to come out except for BAir and he doesn't have an invincible up+B. Overall, I'd put him in mid-tier relative to the rest of the PM cast; he certainly has his problem match-ups (Sheik and Falco, IMO), but I wouldn't be shocked to hear someone winning tournaments going all Ike.

If you're interested in learning how to incorporate QD into your gameplay, this video is from the days of Demo 2.0 but is still very applicable to 3.0 Ike.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
...I need to learn how to Wavedash.
His movement with QD looks very threatening while on the ground, but does Ike struggle with platform camping (or other ground evasion techniques)? I mean, QD seems most versatile when given plenty of room to charge at opponents, but if they're up in safe haven (top platform of triangle stages), then what?

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Then you jump out of it and nair them really hard. If you short hop out of the QD you can get stuff started even when they are on low platforms. You can also double jump. and nair/fair/uair them. If you need to you can also just wait. They have to come down at some point after all.

metroid1117

Smash Master
IMHO Ike struggles with platform camping in the same way that Marth struggles with it, but to a slightly lesser extent because his aerials last out longer than Marth's.

By the way, I my personal favorite stages are FD, Smashville, and PS2, where it's relatively long, flat, and no third platform on the top to get camped on.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
My sparring partner (he's more experienced) is very fond of runaway Mewtwo. He fights for a stock lead & once he finds it, the keep away shenanigans begin. He's stupid good at ledge stuff (I have no clue how to deal with ledge-camping/stalling), and mixes up his teleport locations in a way I can't guess (he NEVER goes on the ground if it can be avoided, so unless I'm playing your favored stage list, QD is out of the question...). If I make a mistake chasing him down, one quick Up-B->fair punishes me into a combo, furthering his lead and making my life harder.
3.0 might have only been out for two days, but HELP!

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Quick draw -> JC -> Choose an aerial

This is how I dealt with it
...well that was easy. Turns out I was accidentally selecting a QD direction before he teleported, so he'd wait for me to do that & go behind me. Now if only I can use this to bait him into something...

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Hope this doesn't count as a bump.
Just thought I'd try to meet some fellow Ike mains and maybe get some tips along the way. Out of all the PM characters he feels the most fun and rewarding to play. Gonna try and get some experience playing real people, and if anyone's up for it I could do with some hands-on Ike training.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Wi-fi's not really a good place to practice IMO, you'd have better luck getting a good training experience by finding people around your area. Try posting in the social thread of your region's board. Otherwise, we can give you advice, but it's hard to give "general" tips.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Wi-fi's not really a good place to practice IMO, you'd have better luck getting a good training experience by finding people around your area. Try posting in the social thread of your region's board. Otherwise, we can give you advice, but it's hard to give "general" tips.
People around my area... Well, guess I'm screwed then. :estatic:
Thanks anyway, I guess.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
My Ike was born on WiFi.

Top Bottom