• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I didnt like Skyward and most of the character designs. But I'll admit I loved Impa's design in that game.
Really sleek and animated, reminds me of that one chick with the white hair from the Incredibles. (Mirage)
She looks like a fighter too. I'm torn between who's cooler, Shiek or Skyward Impa.

Then again, I sorta want ****** Impa or Grandma Impa for trolling purposes.

You really cant go wrong with any version of Impa in Smash.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hah, oh man, I haven't visited my thread since the very beginning and just waded through seven pages of internet sewage... Conversation hasn't been super productive, eh? Can we... start fresh and try to drop at least some of the trolling on both sides? Maybe? Gonna rage if I see the words "fat" or "******" in this thread again.

New proposal for people to feel out: Zelda/Sheik stay a couple. Impa would be a heavily modified clone character of Sheik with a new down b. As it is now, Zelda/Sheik is sort of designed so Sheik will rack up damage with quick combos and then switch to Zelda for finishing. Impa would be different in that she would be fully balanced for independent play.

Or go the not lazy route and just make her a fully actualized character independent of Sheik and Zelda.
Impa comes from a tribe of Gypsy Ninjas. The concept of there not being any material to make a moveset out of is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum.

Edit: I say "make her a separate clone" just because historically speaking cloning seems to be what Sakurai prefers doing. I would much prefer her and every other clone to be turned into a unique character. For kicks, I think I'll make an independent Impa moveset sometime soon.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
New proposal for people to feel out: Zelda/Sheik stay a couple. Impa would be a heavily modified clone character of Sheik with a new down b. As it is now, Zelda/Sheik is sort of designed so Sheik will rack up damage with quick combos and then switch to Zelda for finishing. Impa would be different in that she would be fully balanced for independent play.

Or go the not lazy route and just make her a fully actualized character independent of Sheik and Zelda.
Impa comes from a tribe of Gypsy Ninjas. The concept of there not being any material to make a moveset out of is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum.

Edit: I say "make her a separate clone" just because historically speaking cloning seems to be what Sakurai prefers doing. I would much prefer her and every other clone to be turned into a unique character. For kicks, I think I'll make an independent Impa moveset sometime soon.
Couldn't agree more.

And yes, with characters like this you just have to be realistic and recognise that their best chance of getting in the game is as a clone.

Especially when there is another character already playable who has what would be an extremely similar move set (since Impa trained Sheik).

It's one of the more justifiable clones to say the least (Unlike Captain Ganondorf which is an abomination).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I can't understand the mentality of "should Impa get in, she must replace Sheik."

Impa is not a bad character at all and IS important, but does she really have to be a Sheik clone and replace her? Hell no.

For the Zelda series, this roster would be perfect: Link, Zelda / Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link and Impa.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I can't understand the mentality of "should Impa get in, she must replace Sheik."

Impa is not a bad character at all and IS important, but does she really have to be a Sheik clone and replace her? Hell no.

For the Zelda series, this roster would be perfect: Link, Zelda / Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link and Impa.
Like I said in the other Zelda thread.... The inclusion of one INCREASES the chance of the other getting in. Not the other way around.
If one is in, a clone can be much more easily made and therefore has a better chance.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Like I said in the other Zelda thread.... The inclusion of one INCREASES the chance of the other getting in. Not the other way around.
If one is in, a clone can be much more easily made and therefore has a better chance.
A valid point, although I would better like if Impa was given more unique moves instead of being a clone.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Finally something I wanted to see.

Sheik AND Impa.

Can be interesting for a story mode. :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm gonna make a moveset soon somewhere this week. This I promise.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I have to agree with Diddy Kong in a little of ways that Sheik is simple a one-game wonder that was a transformation for one Zelda (as you know there are many Zeldas in the series).

Impa is a re-occuring theme/name in most Zelda franchises although she takes different roles in different franchises. Until Skyward Sword, it was hard to imagine her with a move set as she was only capable of fighting in OOT possibly. In most games she is an old figure that gives advice to Link or starts the storyline by telling Link of Zelda's trouble.

Despite this, Impa would be a more deserving character than Sheik if Sheik wasn't already in the game. To be honest though, why can't we have both?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why can't we have both? I guess some people still haven't learned some life lessons. 1) We won't always get what we want. 2) Life is never fair. 3) It is impossible to please everyone. :)

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah, there will be some characters that are highly demanded and won't make this Smash, that is for sure. I would almost rather have Impa as a new character than Sheik. I kind of hate the switch characters (Pokemon Trainer, Samus/Zamus, Zelda/Sheik) because everyone basically just chooses one and sticks with them.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If I had to chose between Impa and Sheik I'd easily take Impa. But am honestly also not quite fond of cutting characters. But was convinced Sheik should easily be the only character considered to be cut, and replaced by Impa. As her irrelevance in the series and made-up moveset to me made it clear Impa was the superiour candidate. But the more I picture Impa's potential moveset in the game, the more I realise : Why not have both?

It's just like this, roster spot is limited. Hence why I have set preferences for certain characters.

Say, I'll take Mewtwo over Lucario.
Ike over Chrom and Roy
Red over other Pokémon Trainers

Anything.

You always have to prepare for potential dissapointments. So it's beat to remain as flexible and possible. Cause in the end, you gonna buy the game anyway. :rolleyes:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
The thing is, even without her being a magical godsworn ninja I feel like she's got moves to spare. Other than the Deku Nut escape, it's not like Sheik's moves are derived from any specific material, just what the game makers thought would fit the concept. Almost every single character in Smash has moves that were never showcased in their games and several characters in Smash were never fighters to begin with. Anyway- if Impa WERE to be made a fully independent character, I would want them to focus more on the mystical gypsy side of the Sheikah clan instead of the ninja tropes that Sheik got. I'm going to post an independent moveset later today and slap it on the front page.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey Diddy. What would Impa's taunts be?

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Why can't we have both? I guess some people still haven't learned some life lessons. 1) We won't always get what we want. 2) Life is never fair. 3) It is impossible to please everyone. :)
It feels like including both would maximize pleasing the general Smash fanbase while cutting a two-time veteran (Despite being less relevant to the series) in place of a character that didn't garner this type of popularity until now would anger more people than it would please. If Sheik wasn't included in Melee then I'm sure most people would be all for it but that is not the case. I'm all for Impa as long as it won't cost Sheik.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Reason for not having both: Sakurai said he wants a trim roster for unique playstyles. Impa and Sheik fill the "Sheikah slot" on the roster, which has been a part of Smash since Melee. Let's say Sakurai is shooting for 40 characters. He might find the need to sacrifice the likes of Sheik for a more unique, independent LoZ character — and Impa would fill the void. That's five unique Zelda characters, with Link only appearing twice because: a) there is [could be] a huge difference, and b) Sakurai deems including two Links to be important. Now, I could see the Zelda roster panning out in a number of ways, but here are a few:

Dynamic Duos (6 reps)
Link
Toon Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Ghirahim

The Big Five (5 reps)
—Link
—Zelda
—Impa
—Toon Link
—Ganondorf

Good Guys & Ganny (6 reps)
—Link
—Zelda/Sheik
—Impa
—Toon Link
—Ganondorf

Skyward Waker (7 reps)
—Link
—Zelda
—Impa or Ghirahim
—Ganondorf
—Toon Link
—Toon Zelda/Tetra

Classic Roster (5 reps)
—Link
—Zelda/Sheik
—Ganondorf
—Toon Link

• The Dynamic Duos roster adds a villain (in this case Ghirahim) to balance out the Courage/Wisdom/Power ratio through color coding.
  • The Big Five roster sacrifices Sheik for Impa in an attempt to create a representationally balanced roster, pulling the most important characters from the series while staying within a trim five-character limit.
  • The Good Guys & Ganny roster does what is being above and adds Impa as the only new Zelda rep, weighing the good against evil a bit.. unfair.
  • The Skyward Waker roster goes overboard in an attempt to include the best representation for Skyward Sword & Wind Waker HD. Link, Zelda, Impa and/or Ghirahim represent Skyward Sword, with Impa being the "Sheikah" rep and Ghirahim the new villain. Ganondorf, Toon Link, and Toon Zelda/Tetra represent Wind Waker HD. Toon Zelda/Tetra retain the Zelda transformation gimmick, freeing up real Zelda to be standalone, and also allotting room for Impa's inclusion (unless Ghirahim nabs her slot). 3 & 3 (4) reps for Skyward Sword & Wind Waker HD.
  • The Classic Roster changes nothing but the appearances and playstyles of these characters. Without altering the lineup, Sakurai can make a wide array of adjustments to the way these folks play. Ideally: Link, Zelda, and Sheik will be based on their Skyward Sword appearances (with Sheik borrowing from Impa's wardrobe), while Ganondorf and Toon Link would look as they do in Wind Waker HD.
Of course, there are bountiful more arrangements of characters from the series. I just didn't want to get into affairs with Tingle, Vaati, and all the other lesser folk. As of
now, Skyward Sword & Wind Waker HD will be the most recent Zelda games as of Smash 4's development and release (a new 3DS Zelda could sneak by). To reiterate—If Sakurai is basing the Zelda characters' appearances on these games, then:
  • Link, Zelda, Impa, and Ghirahim will be based on their Skyward Sword appearances.
  • Toon Link, Ganondorf, and Toon Zelda/Tetra will be based on their Wind Waker HD appearances.
  • Sheik will have to be invented...
Edit: To follow up that last sentiment, inventing appearances for characters in Smash Bros. is not a bad thing at all. Having "Smash" appearances outside of their respective series is treat unto itself. However, series like Zelda are consistent enough that their representatives in Smash Bros. should borrow from what's available, while a series like Star Fox is aching to stay alive so Smash has more "freedom" to do with those characters what it pleases. This may be a moot argument, but what I'm trying to get at is — while it would be awesome to see original appearances for the Zelda characters in Smash, odds are Sakurai will base them on their likenesses from recent games in the series and thus, inventing a look for a character (Sheik) might stand out too much. Plus, if Sheik wore Impa's clothes, it would be a slap to Impa fans, while Impa's replacement of Sheik would not hurt so much (as Toon Link replaced Young Link, it was simply a matter of catching up with the times).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Impa makes it in now, and continiues to make appearances in Zelda and Sheik won't. They'll eventually cut Sheik and not Impa. So that's why I've been saying what I said so much. But now I feel Sheik could stay at least one more time.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I honestly think that Tingle and not Ghirahim is the most likely newcomer for Zelda based on all his appearances and popularity in Japan. Impa would likely come after Ghirahim and Tingle in odds.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think Tingle has a slighlty more chance than Impa, Impa has a higher chance than Ghirahim.

I don't see Ghirahim as a contender mainly because of his one-shot character status at present. Just like Zant and Midna before him.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ghirahim is a character of popularity, the only thing that makes his chances even viable is that he has more then Zant or Midna had in their time.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Ghirahim is in, I'd think Impa would replace Sheik to fit the Skyward Sword-theme.

Also have been thinking, what if Toon Ganondorf uses just one of his blades to attack? And has magic similar to OoT Ganondorf as specials and maybe other moves? This way TP Ganondorf, OoT Ganondorf and even Demise could be good alternative characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Barring cel-shading, isn't Toon Ganondorf basically the same as TP Ganondorf?

I'm all for a de-cloned Ganondorf, whether he uses sword(s) or not.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There are similarities. But there's a lot to do with Toon Ganondorf's moveset.

Anyways, speaking of Impa, I have seen a lot of new supporters around!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Toon Ganondorf is pretty different.

I can't imagine him using his legs much.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I guess I was focusing too much on the face. My bad. :p
No apologies necessary.

When it comes to Ganondorf. I see a possibility 3 things happening.
1. TP Ganon gets updated.
2. WW Ganon is put in.
3. OoT Ganon returns.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Why not have both?

A valid point, although I would better like if Impa was given more unique moves instead of being a clone.
Just being realistic. The best chance is a Luigified clone. Otherwise it looks very unlikely.

I kind of hate the switch characters (Pokemon Trainer, Samus/Zamus, Zelda/Sheik) because everyone basically just chooses one and sticks with them.
I kind of do as well. Except Pokemon trainer. That's just a genius idea for a character and conceptually my favourite character in the game.

Ghirahim is a character of popularity, the only thing that makes his chances even viable is that he has more then Zant or Midna had in their time.
Don't know about that. Midna with Wolf link was very popular back in those days.

Reason for not having both: Sakurai said he wants a trim roster for unique playstyles.
Eh, Sakurai says alot of things. He said he wanted to stop using clones before Brawl came out too........ it had more clones than ever.

How could you possibly make a de-cloned Ganondorf without a sword?
What other basic physical moves has he ever used in his games that could fill the 15 or so basic A moves each character has?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What other basic physical moves has he ever used in his games that could fill the 15 or so basic A moves each character has?
You could always give him his trident.

D

Deleted member

>Implying every generic basic attack has to be from a game.

Also, idea with Impa; instead of making her just a semi-clone of Sheik, why not make her a mix of Zelda and Sheik? Like have some of the ninja style Sheik has and some of the mage style Zelda has?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Have you heard of "creative liberties"?

D

Deleted member

I just don't understand why anyone would think it was reasonable to not give a gun to a character who always uses a gun to do his fighting (Except when in his car ofcourse).

EDIT: No but seriously. Just because Ganondorf's used a sword in two games you fight him in of the three doesn't mean he has to have a sword. Ocarina of Time worked just fine without him using one.
And then again, each fight has a different style;
OoT: Barehanded
WW: Dual wield sword
TP: Single sword

How is using a single sword more "important" to incorporate than the other two?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@ManBearPig
I just said I want him de-cloned. Giving him a sword is obviously the best way to do it, but its definitely not the only way.

D

Deleted member

Agreed. It may be an ideal option, but it isn't the only option. (And even then, having a sword may not make him decloned anyway; there are other swordsman he can clone instead :troll:)
But this is discussion for the Ganondorf thread or the general Zelda Character thread.

Since this is about Impa, I will restate my previous post:
Also, idea with Impa; instead of making her just a semi-clone of Sheik, why not make her a mix of Zelda and Sheik? Like have some of the ninja style Sheik has and some of the mage style Zelda has?

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I just don't understand why anyone would think it was reasonable to not give a gun to a character who always uses a gun to do his fighting (Except when in his car ofcourse).

Probably because that's the anime not his video game.
But yeah, giving him a gun would have made as much sense as anything else he does in SSB.

Taking creative liberties is great when you have a character like C.Falcon who doesn't have much in the way of moves from his game to choose from.

When they take liberties to directly contradict how a character fights in their games.... that's when you have a problem.

D

Deleted member

>Implying characters in Smash do not take from non-game media of theirs.

*coughDK'sGiantPunchcough*

And again, it doesn't contradict anything. Ganondorf has shown physical prowess without a weapon. Even in games where he has a weapon.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
>Implying characters in Smash do not take from non-game media of theirs.

*coughDK'sGiantPunchcough*

And again, it doesn't contradict anything. Ganondorf has shown physical prowess without a weapon. Even in games where he has a weapon.
Falcons Anime was created after SSB dude. I wasn't saying anything like that.

It's quite clear that giving Ganondorf a hand to hand combat fighting style is a contradiction of how he fights in his games.
In his games he always fights with a sword or magic (or in Ganon form). In SSB he fights primarily as a hand to hand fighter. I don't have my dictionary with me to clarify the definition of the word contradiction with you, but I'm sure you get it.

I'm not sure what you're referring to about "showing physical prowess without a weapon". Yes he's an athletic guy... He still only fights with a sword and magic.
You could say that about every sword wielding character on the roster as just as good a justification to make them a hand to hand fighter.

I don't know why you picked this fight. It's a silly argument.

I'd be interested to hear if you think there would be a difference between this and giving Link or Ike a hand to hand based moveset?
Or would that have been okay too?

Top Bottom