• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inception

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't know if you can say it's "obvious." I really wish Nolan would have just let the top fall before cutting to the title card. What makes me doubt that it's reality is the fact that his kids are in the exact same position they've been in throughout the whole movie (and might even be in the same clothes).

I thought the whole point of their (Cobb and Saito) arrangement was that if Cobb did what he was supposed to, Saito could call someone up and fix everything by the time they land.

This movie ****ing rocks and I really want to go see it again.
end:

If the top fell over, it would defeat the entire point of the movie. Same thing as if the shot went on and on and the top never faltered. If the top did in fact fall, it would be a very standard "ok everythings happy!" end shot that completely dilutes the idea of the whole film before it. In fact, there are pieces all throughout the film that make you doubt anything. The entire film could be Cobb in Limbo.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
but what if, what we're living in right now is limbo, and we're really dreaming right now dude

seriously, though, I get your point. I just felt like he ended it like that just to be a **** to everybody who just watched this (awesome) movie

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I think Nolan was kidding/teasing us to a certain extent to end with that shot, but don't forget the other very important aspect of that scene.

Cobb doesn't even stop to study the top before going to embrace his children. He doesn't care at this point.

Peeze

Smash Master
imagine how pissed you would be if you were cobb and
after you hug your kids you turn around and the top`s still spinning. or if Mal walks into the room

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Watched the film. It was good and entertaining, just not as amazing as everyone was making out to be. I think I got my hopes up too much, I was expecting to be blown away but I just ended up being entertained. It wasn't a bad film by any means though. It was a really good movie.

My main gripes though is the fact that it took an hour before anything happened and
the van flipped over in the 1st world, which caused the 2nd world to flip over and throw everyone around in it, which caused the 3rd world to do.. absolutely nothing. But then later on the back of the van hit the side of the bridge it caused an avalanche.

I couldn't help but notice that and it kinda spoiled the atmosphere for me.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Huh? A whole ton of crap goes on in the first hour, what are you talking about?

As for your spoiled gripe, that is something that bugged me immediately as well.
Well the first hour was just setting up the rules for the 2nd half. I just felt a bit fidgety seeing as though it took, lets say minus the opening sequences, about 50 minutes to explain rules that can be explained in half that time.

I would've liked to see more chaos in the dreams like we saw in the first half too. Kinda like the parts in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind when the memories are being deleted and the world around him is falling into chaos.

None of these are big gripes though. I'd put this movie in my top 3 films of the year easily.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Great film. A couple points:

1. Saito needed subtitles.

2. The spot on Mal's head annoyed the hell out of me lol.

About the ending, he always checked the totem. This time he just spun it and left. That means wherever he was he knew if it was real or not.

What if Mal was right? What if when she supposedly killed herself she was actually getting out of a dream?

What if the idea of the totem is a whole inception planted by someone in Cobb's mind?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
The girl's bishop totem (I forgot her name) was epic btw. Made me smile.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
OMG THIS MOVIE WAS AMAZING!! <3 <3 <3 I'm still thinking about it...

So many different ways to view this film!!

A good link (MANY SPOILERS): http://www.cinematical.com/2010/07/19/dissecting-inception-six-interpretations-and-five-plot-holes/

And another: http://www.chud.com/articles/articl...HE-MEANING-AND-SECRET-OF-INCEPTION/Page1.html
The first link was very interesting, and I hadnt actually thought of some of those plot holes (like how did Fisher not recognize his biggest competition).

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Well, in "reality" (on the plane when Fischer's inception began) Fischer barely makes eye contact with anybody. He is obviously very distant and contemplative and the only time he even looks at anyone is when Leo hands him his passport. I think it's very likely he just didn't see Saito and study his face enough to recognize him.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
On the ending, I think it simply meant that Cobb didn't care anymore. While he never got to see his kids, there were a lot of things that screamed it was a dream. Since he turned away, something he never did before, he just accepted that whatever it was, was good enough.

On Saito aging: In Limbo, years pass in the time of minutes on Earth.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
This movie is pretty incredible.

When I saw the previews early this year, I knew this was a must see. Glad to say that it fulfilled on what I expected.

It was definitely worth getting up @ 6 in the morning to watch this (AMC Phipps movies are $6 before noon :lick:).

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
so, i guess the question is... does the top at the end
wobble infinitely?
Well,
it wobbles at the last few seconds and then it cuts to black with the title so we don't know if it wobbles infinitely.

I see what you did Toliet.

TheSlip

Smash Cadet
I think it was all reality. In the dream world the top's never come that close to falling over, or really, showed no effort of going shaky.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I think it was all reality. In the dream world the top's never come that close to falling over, or really, showed no effort of going shaky.
Ah, but remember this as well-

After Cobb gets sedated so he can dream with those shamans who dream all day or whatever in Mombasa, he apparently wakes up in the immediate next shot and goes to throw water on his face in the bathroom. Actually, there may have been a brief dream sequence with Mal before he wakes...anyways...then, he tries to spin the top, only it slides off the bathroom sink, and before he can try it again, Saito appears and interrupts him out of nowhere.

IIRC, that is the last time (chronologically) that Cobb spins the top until the end scene, and it is another unanswerable question just like the ending shot. I like to think that the rest of the film after this could actually all be an inception on Cobb and we see it all from his point of view. There are some things that conflict with this theory as well though. For instance, I think he only meets Eames after this. Though, I suppose Eames could be a projection of Cobb's subconscious. I'll have to see it a third time and, honestly I still probably wouldn't be sure what to believe.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Ah, but remember this as well-

After Cobb gets sedated so he can dream with those shamans who dream all day or whatever in Mombasa, he apparently wakes up in the immediate next shot and goes to throw water on his face in the bathroom. Then, he tries to spin the top, only it slides off the bathroom sink, and before he can try it again, Saito appears and interrupts him out of nowhere.

IIRC, that is the last time (chronologically) that Cobb spins the top until the end scene, and it is another unanswerable question just like the ending shot. I like to think that the rest of the film after this could actually all be an inception on Cobb and we see it all from his point of view. There are some things that conflict with this theory as well though. For instance, I think he only meets Eames after this. Though, I suppose Eames could be a projection of Cobb's subconscious. I'll have to see it a third time and, honestly I still probably wouldn't be sure what to believe.
Actually, this was my original thought during the movie, that
everything after going to sleep in the basement was a dream. But like you said, there are some things that contradict this theory. You've already seen it twice, I've only seen it once, so I've got some catching up and re-theorizing to do!

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
If only the inception technology was real.

Christopher Nolan has made my greatest director of all time list. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and now Inception. This guy can do no wrong. However, Spike Lee still holds the crown!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
If only the inception technology was real.

Christopher Nolan has made my greatest director of all time list. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and now Inception. This guy can do no wrong. However, Spike Lee still holds the crown!
You know he has other movies besides those three right? And they are also very good? Get on that! :bee:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I just saw Inception the other day, and I loved it.

2 possible endings:

The top falls over, happy ending.

The top keeps spinning, and the entire movie was just an attempt by his own subconscious to remove any doubt that his reality wasn't a dream.

After Mal killed herself in order to escape the dream, Cobb had doubts about reality. The entire "inception" job was the only way that he could subconsciously rationalize rejecting dream-Mal, the personification of all of his doubt.

After he rejected her, it was easy to believe that he really was in reality.

Either way,
he didn't care. He was with his kids, and he was happy.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I just saw Inception the other day, and I loved it.

2 possible endings:

The top falls over, happy ending.

The top keeps spinning, and the entire movie was just an attempt by his own subconscious to remove any doubt that his reality wasn't a dream.

After Mal killed herself in order to escape the dream, Cobb had doubts about reality. The entire "inception" job was the only way that he could subconsciously rationalize rejecting dream-Mal, the personification of all of his doubt.

After he rejected her, it was easy to believe that he really was in reality.

Either way,
he didn't care. He was with his kids, and he was happy.
Yeah, but
the end being a dream wouldn't necessarily mean the entire film is a dream.

S l o X

Smash Champion
definitely going to see this tonight for a friend's birthday and we will definitely be eating + discussing the ending since I see that's what a lot of people have been talking about (>_> ct thread)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Okay so I saw it again and this is what I think...

Everything after Mombasa is somebody using Inception on Cobb. The part at the end with the Totem doesn't matter because Cobb clearly said that they only help you find out the truth in somebody else's dream. They don't work if somebody knows the weight of the Totem, and Cobb knows the weight of his Totem. So the twist ending is entirely a red herring, and the rest of the movie works like that. That's why James and Phillipa looked exactly the same at the end and were the exact same age, and that's also why towards the end of the movie, the scenes were starting to lack any real transition... they just suddenly changed like a dream.

Also keep in mind the old man that pretty much foreshadowed the ending - he told Cobb that dreaming was his reality. The people in Mombasa are heavily sedated, which is enough for the theoretical fourth layer that Cobb would have gone on if everything after Mombasa was a dream.

Top Bottom