• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inferno's Decarde, The Bowser Video & Critique Thread

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
It was Wi-Fi, but there was little to no lag throughout any of the matches that night, the only match I lost that I can say lag had anything to with was one of my Sonic vs Pit matches lol, and even then it was my own input that caused my death, i.e. I tried to side b back on stage but the input didn't go through until I had already passed the ledge.

Also, does anyone have any tips on stopping my rolling habit? I've been trying to cut rolling out of my play for almost 6 months now, and it's one of the major flaws pointed out in every video critique. When you say short hop Klaw consistently, do you mean the Klaw hopping where it doesn't look like Bowser touches the ground?

Also for the grab releases, is it really just two pummels then allow the release? I generally mash c over to pummel and force ground release then fsmash, but it's almost always avoided.

Calm_Animal

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calm_Animal

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Shinobi- Fsmash isn't guaranteed to hit out of grab release and is slow so it's easy to avoid.

:phone:

Calm_Animal

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calm_Animal
ok ik that...but is there anything else u want to help me with. I understand grab realease f-smash is easy to dodge but just to see if they try to jab me or side dodge when they come out of the grab realease.

B!squick

Smash Master
Last edited by Zigsta; 04-13-2011

This thread is so up to date.

I haven't seen all the new vids yet, but my guess is that I'll be making a long list of things you should not be doing, so I'll just give the condensed version: don't do most of the things you've been doing. Sorry if that sounds harsh and is vague, but I'll get into specifics when I've had more sleep.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I will talk about one thing I noticed right off the bat.

Calm, I liked those chaingrabs you showed against the Peach at one point. However, a good chunk of your grab release followups seemed to be whiffs, or just jabs. When you want to build damage, the chaingrab is obviously great, but eventually you'll want to end your chain with a Klaw. If you don't want to chaingrab, or if the chaingrab isn't a good idea (due to positioning/the stage), then just go straight for the Klaw, rather than a Jab (unless you're going for a jab cancel string). The 18% you tack on (plus the pummel damage) means a lot whenever you're working towards a kill.

Now, at higher percents, you'll want to go for a Ftilt/Dtilt (depending on the character). Klaw is also still a good option, if it hasn't been staled much.

Calm_Animal

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calm_Animal
Oh ok thx, I have working on that but I like jab cancel string to klaw but yea I should just finish it with a klaw... Simple and does great damage. Anything else? I'm trying to get rdy for a upcoming tournament. And I rlly want to be prepared. each time I did a tournament, I have gotten only to loser semi-final if I get paired up with two good ppl in my state... I get last place. :( It's highly annoying cuz I want to get farther in tournament.

D

Deleted member 189823

Also, does anyone have any tips on stopping my rolling habit? I've been trying to cut rolling out of my play for almost 6 months now, and it's one of the major flaws pointed out in every video critique.
- You should avoid rolling so much. Maybe your opponent may not be aware of it yet, but Bowser's roll is extremely punishable...much more if you roll back towards your opponent. Please avoid that. Replace it with the lesser of two evils, which will have to be a short hopped airdodge.
When you say short hop Klaw consistently, do you mean the Klaw hopping where it doesn't look like Bowser touches the ground?
No, that would be "Klaw hopping". What I mean is, simply Short Hop Side B your opponent to trigger an approach. You must learn to do that consistently because it's a great move and has deceptive range. Your opponent is usually expecting an attack when you jump and are slightly above them, so the natural reaction is to shield. Klaw works against shields.

Also for the grab releases, is it really just two pummels then allow the release? I generally mash c over to pummel and force ground release then fsmash, but it's almost always avoided.
Just pummel until the opponent he/she breaks out and then follow up with the options I presented. Pummel with Z. It's easier and it doesn't trigger a Smash attack. And don't pummel like a madman, it has a certain pattern. Don't do it too quick or too slowly because you might ruin the follow-up. It's only reasonable the F-Smash doesn't hit if it's so slow.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Valid point, Idk I've been practicing a lot lately, I have a hard time getting the d-tilt off while still forcing the grounded release, but I can go into just jab combo after release. I should get some really good replays today hopefully, I'm fighting the guy that always hosts our tourneys lol, he's gonna help me with spacing and strategizing rather than acting off instinct.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yo bowser board, i got some video for y'all to look at of my improved bowser. I still can tell i got a long way to go, but if y'all can look at my video and give me any tips on how i can get better, pls say so.
Here the video--------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EORrc3egPsM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhwQlkdgDOo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RewfbUUflfM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d__2-gpDGfU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blVnpVMECUU
Yeah, you did improve. 8]
Nice matches. I like that hack you use, except for FD, which looks (and sounds) flashy and disgusting. @_@

Calm_Animal

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calm_Animal
Thx sweii but i still got a longway to go. I will be keeping in touch tho. One question for the board as well what can u do to improve my bowser playstyle?

D

Deleted member 189823

Valid point, Idk I've been practicing a lot lately, I have a hard time getting the d-tilt off while still forcing the grounded release, but I can go into just jab combo after release. I should get some really good replays today hopefully, I'm fighting the guy that always hosts our tourneys lol, he's gonna help me with spacing and strategizing rather than acting off instinct.
Just tap the Z button slowly for pummeling so you don't accidentally trigger a grab that'll miss on the spot. Pummel slowly and patiently wait until the opponent is released, then do the D-Tilt for the kill.

It kills MK at like 90~%

Thx sweii but i still got a longway to go. I will be keeping in touch tho. One question for the board as well what can u do to improve my bowser playstyle?
Do you watch videos of pro Bowsers?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
If you want to dtilt out of a GR just hold down (but not enough to dthrow) and mash A.

Calm_Animal

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calm_Animal
Do you watch videos of pro Bowsers?[/QUOTE]

i do watch pro bowser video but i just watch to get some idea, and yea im working on bowser grab realease. I do take my time but sometime i would forget to run after the realease, so i wiff grabs sometimes.

Calm_Animal

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calm_Animal
Very nice. Do u play online? i need to practice against someone else good or at least get rdy for my upcoming touranment.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah, kind of. I am avoiding it lately because I need to get better, and get bad habits of lagged play could hurt me (it also hurts my self-esteem to lose against new players that bait charged smash attacks).
If we were to play, we would probably lag a ton. I'm from Argentina, so yeah. Maybe if I got a LAN adapter wifi play would be viable.

B!squick

Smash Master
I've had a Brawl Night on Monday, and here's what I gathered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZFeG5nH5oA&feature=youtu.be

Judges, please. =)
My thoughts during that vid:

Game 1 - Jumping around randomly against Peach is ill advised... great recovery after the whiffed FTilt... UpB OoS son, UpB!... UpB those DAirs!...... come on, stay out of the air against Peach... *shakes head sadly at the first stock loss*... ha. I don't know how you connected with that Aerial DownB, but you did, nice... gah, missed opportunities left and right... stop jumping at Peach, that's the third time this match alone you've said, "please DAir my face"... it's UpB OoS, not roll out of shield... lol, how did you get away with that DownB a second time?... UpB OoS those DAirs just once, please... just once...

Game 2 - You... that first stock... you... that was just sloppy....... I've seen you UpB OoS in response to an attack on your shield all of one time so far this vid. That's not good... you were just out played that second stock... that whole game was just bad. You just in general did nothing that worked in your favor. More specifically, you were using your shield WAY too much. Peach could have just been sitting cozy doing nothing and you'd be on the other side of the stage, shield up, and then Peach would approach and hit you because your shield shrank too much to be useful. You want to avoid that.

Game 3 - ....... The first time you UpB OoS in response DAir and Peach just happened to have spaced it right to not get hit. That sucks... *sigh* have you DownB'd to the ledge successfully at all so far?... How do you keep landing these Aerial DownBs?... Again, you do the right thing and the DAir is spaced properly, ****... so you go back to throwing your face at DAirs. At this point, I don't blame you... Stupid stage is stupid when it kills you. Nice job USmashing OoS against the DAir though....... lol, come into my DTilt the Bowser said to the Peach.

Game 4 - You don't do anything new wrong this game. Same old song and dance.

Game 5 - Okay, who's really playing as Bowser this game? :) You finally seemed to get it for this one. Good stuff.

B!squick

Smash Master
I got some time, so I guess I'll give Swei's next vid a look see again.

...... Needs more UpB OoS, but at least you're not shielding like it's going out of style... yay! You did it! :D ....... Not sure why you wanted to get hit by the lava there when you DownB'd... again with the thinking that Peach's DAir's need to be responded to with face *shakes head* ... and then you SD. :( ... Is this your first time on... whatever stage this is?...... Ha, stage kill. Lame... then the stage kills Peach. Truly some high level play being showed in this vid, lol..... Not much to comment on after that really. That was better at least.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah, it's a silly match. I mostly did it because I like that map, and prefer variating stages instead of picking Battlefield and Final Destination ALL THE TIME, like a friend does.

I don't Up-B too much because I'm afraid it might stale. ):

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Upb doesn't kill til 4000% so it's much more useful as a defensive move than a KO move.

Besides you can still use it as KO move once your KOd.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I went to my first tourney the other day and these are the two sets I got recorded which I'd like to get critiqued. I made a lot of mistakes, such as SDs and input errors like when I accidently sidebd into Ness' neutral b. I also for some reason was spamming usmash a lot, and didn't use upb enough on the ground, so you don't need to correct me on those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJN90PWtVhQ&feature=plcp (We had to abandon the first match because my controller was playing up).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR98jwpp_lc&feature=plcp

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 189823

Well, one important thing I noticed is that you use F-Air too much and unsafely. Don't, and much less in the ground where there's considerable ending lag. You could've Klaw'd instead. Use Klaw more often. Nice GRs.

I would like to see someone with more experience judge that.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Good point about the fair, I didn't realise I spammed it too much. As for the lag, I usually only sh it so it autocancels, usually to punish jumps or platform landings which sideb is too slow to do, but thanks for the advice.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I think Jay was the one who pointed out how outdated this thread is a few pages back:

I'm working on getting a more ergonomic setup at my apartment (laptops suck), and when I do, I have big plans to revamp this thread. :)

Top Bottom