• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inferno's Decarde, The Bowser Video & Critique Thread

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
just a few things i noticed:

your out of shield game was like 90% fortress, which is good since its so quick, but bad if you whiff since the secondary hits only do like 5% damage and leave bowser open. try mixing it up with things like jab/klaw/ftilt/grab more often, sometimes even stuff like dtilt if your opponent is at kill percents. klaw is especially good since after awhile link was just landing and shielding asap waiting for the fortress.

dash attack is a really underrated way to punish a lot of landings, keep it in mind when youre playing against people who like to do a lot of fastfall air dodges like that link did. im not sure if itll beat things like link's falling nair/bair/zair but im pretty sure it will at least trade with those, which would end up being a way better trade for bowser considering it sends link back up into the air too

you werent using jab like, at all. there were times where you would like, run up and powershield link's boomerang or something, but then youd try to ftilt him and link would just shield/spotdodge it. jab is way quicker and has almost as much range, its most likely the better option in situations like those.

also on a side note that charged upsmash from under the smashville platform that sent link tumbling off the side and almost into a jab -> dtilt wouldve been really awesome if the dtilt hit

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
jab is also good for rps situations. ftilt just leads you wide open while if you happen to jab on a spotdodge, you can klaw or grab or move away or something.

D

Deleted member 189823

That is a neat Bowser, TearBear. Man, all these pro Bowser play defensively to rack up damage, and all I do is follow MK off the stage like a rabitt chasing a fox.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'll critique all the stuff I've missed next week. I'm going to Vegas this weekend.

:phone:

B!squick

Smash Master
D

Deleted member 189823

If I can't spotdodge or roll, then what else should I rely on? Shielding? I don't want to use it too much that it gets shattered or punished by a grab. They're all punishable. Isn't spotdodge the least punishable of those?

Also, it's a father-son image. Give it a chance. ):

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Bowser's spotdodge sucks. You should shield waaaaaay more than roll/spotdodge. Of course you don't want to just sit there in your shield--be smart about it.

D

Deleted member 189823

What about mobility? Should I stick with the Short Hop Airdodge? Or should I do that thing that Acid does in which he dashes and triggers shield on and off all the time?

Flayl

Smash Hero
You do whatever suits best the situation... You don't have to use the shield button either.

Every time you do a roll/spotdodge, think to yourself "would I have gotten hit if I just ran away?" In the videos you have posted, the answer is no, you wouldn't have gotten hit.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Hey guys, is getting a jab lock bounce with the end of Nair possible on people, and if so does it give them force get up? If so, is Full Hop Fair > nair bounce > fsmash reliable if they shield the fair on a platform and are knocked backwards off it?

Calm_Animal

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calm_Animal
D

Deleted member 189823

Hey there.

Well, first thing you notice is that you hack the gaem. Usually pros and/or good players hack the gaem. Then your capacity to easily use the Up-Tilt without triggering a jump or an Up-Smash makes you at least decent. Let's not forget the well-use of your shield for most of it. It only broke one.

But ok, straight to the point:

Your Bowser is pretty good. One common flaw I noticed is that alot of the times you were aiming for grabs but missed, leaving you helpless. Something reguarding your first match is that I think you play too defensively.

Overall pretty good.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Good to see you posting here, Calm. I'll get to your videos as soon as I can--I've been very busy lately.

As for the ledge, Bowser is weak there. Practice airdodging onto the stage>Fortress and Klawing onto the stage to mix things up. And don't forget you can always plank or jump up and regrab the ledge.

Calm_Animal

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calm_Animal
I see thx so now, I know where my bowser stands. Thx zigsta for that advice it rlly helped, I was trying to use the koopa klaw to climb up from the ledge, but it wasn't gud if I dont mix it up. Also thx for the explaination, and I didn't notice that I played defensive I thought I played aggressive. So I play I need to get more aggressive, is that what u are saying Swei? So if i am to miss my koopa klaw, what should i do to to keep me out from being helpless thing? I can think of is jump cancel thing out of koopa klaw. Well thx guys, I will let ya'll know if there anything else that i need help with. :)

Calm_Animal

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calm_Animal
Ah I see yea I do grab a lot and put myself in bad situation,and yea u are more aggressive then me. :/ I'm trying to get more aggressive but it's rlly hard for me to get aggressive,cuz the ppl that I play are little too aggressive so their is no point for me to get aggressive. ;)

D

Deleted member 189823

Well, being too defensive is something I just noticed in your first video. It's not a bad idea when Link is preasuring you with Short Hop Z-Air most of the time. The downside is that it can take you long to kill your opponent. I like to have them dead at ~120%, but that's just me. Don't be ashamed to keep your own style of´play if it benefits you. You can remain loyal to your playstyle by just modifying your little flaws.

I think I played more agressively here, but man, I feel like a mess watching my Bowser from around a month ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=Meuk7KnLEq8&NR=1

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I don't recommend playing aggressively with Bowser, for the most part, unless you're given a clear opening to take advantage of an exposed blindspot.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I'm sure not much has changed since when I played, so I'll say this:

With Bowser you need to find a balance between aggression and defense. Bowser's defensive/ground game is extremely fearful and is above average imo...lol in a perfect world at least. To be more serious, it's pretty good for all the other **** he has. He obviously has inherent flaws, but his OoS game, grab/klaw gimmicks and things like that are helpful.

To be as frank as possible, playing aggressively with Bowser is ******** (am I allowed to say that word). If you don't have the means to capitalize on some grand mistake or some other flaw that the character has, (or if you're just better, then that's an exception ololo) it's not worth going in.

Klaw is the move that can convert defense into offense. Use it. It's a great move, kids.

To add on, you shouldn't worry at all about taking a while to kill your opponent. As long as you're doing the right things, the kill will come eventually. You have 8 minutes, if you need to take a breather or switch the momentum of the match, go ahead. There's no reason in rushing the kill anyway, Bowser is a powerhouse but you have to find a specific way to get each move off to get the kill anyway.

Calm_Animal

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calm_Animal
hmmm i see i don't rlly try to rush my kills. i will wait for my kills. what need to find out for bowser is a solid game play style. :)

D

Deleted member 189823

I have seen a few videos of Limit's Bowser. That Bowser is so good.

Do you get far in tournaments?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
The last "tournament" I entered in was a Fatality hosted by JTails in August. The last Smash event I went to was a smashfest on March 9th of this year.

My point is, if I say anything it won't be of any significance. My results were always average. For the longest time I always had this curse of always losing my round 1 set.

I think my best placing was like 20something out of 70something at a Polybrawl. I'm pretty bad lol, and I've gotten worse because I'm focusing on closing out high school right now and figuring out what college I'm going to out of those that accepted me.

so, to make a long story short, thanks for the complements, and my results were always "meh"ish because NY is tough and I'm bad and use Bowser.

HOWEVER, I plan to come back during the summer and remain active for the subsequent years left in this game. In a few months I'll be free from prep school (a great experience, I love it) and I'll (try) to take NYC by storm.

D

Deleted member 189823

I don't think you're a bad player, you're just using a bad character. That's just a handicap one commits to when maining a Low tier character. It's nothing you can't grow out of with lots of practice, imo.

Calm_Animal

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calm_Animal
I'm thinking the same thing. My last tournament was 2 weeks ago on March the 10th at Aerolink and Denti's . lost my first round , won, won, won then lost loser semi against a ice climber player,but i was rlly close... :c. I think ur bowser are amazing along with Zigsta, KingKong, IxisNaugus, and Vex. This is just my opinion. :)

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Sorry for being so far behind on these. I just typed up a bit for the BBR's new tier list discussion, and my arms really hurt now. Since I use a computer from 9-7 for work, I hate hate hate coming home to type on my much less ergonomically friendly laptop.

I promise I'll eventually get to your videos, but I have to put my job and my health first, with tier list discussion taking Smashboards priority. Please be patient for me. It means a lot to me to see new Bowser players who are hungry to improve, and I'm hopeful my advice takes your game to the next level.

Calm_Animal

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calm_Animal
yea no problem man, take ur time. I can wait, and yea I'm one of those player that wants to keep improving until I'm better then or equal to top players.

Top Bottom