• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

INNsomnia Reunion: NES n00b edition - 12/18

Myztek

Smash Ace
Bigger venue would be nice, and I'd definitely be up for chipping in on it. However, having it overnight would be SUPER beneficial to me, because I wouldn't have to worry about work getting in the way or anything. It's a pain in the *** to get off at my job.

But I'll be there!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I don't want to step on anyone's ideas or anything, but I kinda feel like making this a competitive event would be somewhat disrespectful. I'm pretty sure that most people who would attend that knew Ryan would donate as well. That's just my two cents on that.

I will try and see if I can't round up some of the other old members of Tupelo crew as I don't think they all know yet.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Something about competing for money at an event that is to honor a friend that has died seems kind of wrong to me. It could also attract people who are more interested in playing a tournament more than mourning the passing of a friend.

I don't think it would be that big of a deal if there was a tournament. It just sorta rubs me the wrong way slightly is all.

Handorin

Smash Hero
At the same time, I doubt Ryan would want us to cry for him all night. He'd tell us to stop being babies or something.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I was under the impression that there weren't really going to be any payouts?

Or if there are I wouldn't be surprised if those who win donate their winnings immediately. Not like they'd be obligated to, but it's just something I can really easily see happening.

Any cool ideas for what we should all wear?

SmashProJJFF

Smash Journeyman
Would it be remiss for me to intimate to you gentlemen that a certain comeback might be in the works?

HMM?

Anyway, I'm terribly sorry to hear about NES n00b. I send my condolences to his family.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Anyone that might be able to give rides to a lonely Yoshi? It'd mean a hell of a lot to me to get to this, so if anyone's passing through eastern TN, then ****in TALK TO ME so we can set **** up plllleeeeeaaaaaaseeee!!!
pretty sure Milln and I would be picking you up for this one.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
At the same time, I doubt Ryan would want us to cry for him all night. He'd tell us to stop being babies or something.
I'm not saying that it has to be entirely sad and depressing, but I just think it's in bad taste for this to turn into fund raising tournament. It seems to me that it would take away from the honoring of a friend by throwing in a tournament that would dominate a large portion of time we are there. It might also attract people who simply want to show up for a tournament.

Would it be remiss for me to intimate to you gentlemen that a certain comeback might be in the works?
Wow, I would have never guessed that you would return to smash. Where are you at these days?

Sariku

Smash Master
This is Sariku. I am currently at Ryan's house, speaking with his mother and other family members. I have a few words from his mother that she'd like to share with the community.

I want to say how much I appreciate that Ryan had such good friends that cared about him and saw the kind, gentle, loving spirit that I saw in him.

If anyone is interested they can make a contribution to a scholarship fund in memory of Ryan Roberts to the University of Mississippi Foundation. If they send a check, they need to put "In Memory of Ryan Roberts" in the memo section of the check. (bottom left). Or if you want to give online, you can do so by logging onto the U.M. Foundation.com and click the link that says "Make a Gift" and in the comment section put "In Memory of Ryan Roberts." so it will go into his fund and not just a general fund.

Thank you very much for your willingness in holding this tournament in honor of my son and helping fund this scholarship program.
I may have more later. But this was directly from his mother. :]

-Chad-

Slackerator
I'm not saying that it has to be entirely sad and depressing, but I just think it's in bad taste for this to turn into fund raising tournament. It seems to me that it would take away from the honoring of a friend by throwing in a tournament that would dominate a large portion of time we are there. It might also attract people who simply want to show up for a tournament.
Jason, most of us all met through smash. Almost all of us met NES through smash. Smash was one of his favorite things to do.

I can't really think of anything else that would honor him as much as having people who's lives he touched all in one place playing the game he loved. No one here is talking about a competitive tournament or anything, just a fun little get-together. If people wanna come for only for the tournament then we can educate them on how awesome of a man NES was.

Also. Link/Falcon teams only I say.

SaberPrime

Smash Journeyman
Jason, most of us all met through smash. Almost all of us met NES through smash. Smash was one of his favorite things to do.

I can't really think of anything else that would honor him as much as having people who's lives he touched all in one place playing the game he loved. No one here is talking about a competitive tournament or anything, just a fun little get-together. If people wanna come for only for the tournament then we can educate them on how awesome of a man NES was.

Link/Falcon doubles, Falcon singles? I say in singles we use the glitch so you can use the same color (Blood falcon.), and then use the tags NES and n00b. That's just wishful thinking though.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'm probably going to donate in addition to the tournament. Roadtripping with 3 people to it. Sorry I missed it, but is there OoS housing available?

Winnar

Smash Lord

This.

I'm probably going to donate in addition to the tournament. Roadtripping with 3 people to it. Sorry I missed it, but is there OoS housing available?
There is, and lots of it. Where are you coming from?

I'm offering housing to anyone who might be coming from the south, though my apartment is about 3 and a half hours away from the venue, it might be nice for people driving really far to be able to split the drive up. Check the first post for details on my housing.

Iori I think is housing in Memphis, I'm sure there are others but I can't remember off the top of my head.

CCCP

Smash Journeyman
Indeed, it only makes sense to get back to where it all started, so to speak. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't seem to recall him missing a biweekly after he started attending. I know that if I lived as distant from the INN and didn't love the people and atmosphere, I wouldn't make the trip, especially not every other week XD

Totally down for the doubles idea, I dunno so much about singles being falcon only, though ^^;;

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I don't have time to check (in class on ipod) but how close is the venue to Memphis? And if friends and I took a bus to Memphis, could someone pick us up? I'm sure it'll whittle down to me plus two tops. We're taking a bus instead of driving now I think.

RAM

Smash Lord
I don't even remember the last time I posted on these forums nor traveled too far away for a melee tourney. I work 2 jobs and will be attending school soon, I def want to come to this and I'll try to but it'll be pretty hard since I have to ask off from both jobs for a few days after New Years as well. I will try thou. I remember having him over my place for a couple of weekends with him and Ragnarok just playing smash all weekend with my crew included and he would always try to get me to drop Luigi as my main and switch my Falcon from my secondary to main.

I REALLY WANT TO COME TO THIS!!!!! I can't express how awesome he was, How awesome it was hanging with him and teaming with him in tourneys as double Falcon. I even invited him into our crew since he did'nt have many peeps to smash with.

All and all he will def be missed from NFL and everywhere he may have traveled.

See ya at the cross roads mang and I'll always remember the Ryan and Ryan connection.

And to the ***** *** trick that was disrespecting him in the other thread I can't find, I'll break his face in a heartbeat, real talk.

NES NOOB 4 MUTHAFUKING LIFE!!!!!

C......

Smash Apprentice
idk if im gonna be able to make this, but i jus wanna say nes noob was one of the nicest guys ive ever met and 1 of the best falcons in the world, next tourny i go 2 im playin only link/falcon the entire tournament

RAM

Smash Lord
I have a suggestion, for all of the ppl who can't make it someone should video tape the entire event and if you really want to do something nice maybe get individuals to say a few words on video about awesome memories or awesome things to say about Ryan and give the tape to his mom with the cash that was donated.

I gotta make it to this somehow.

j00t

Smash Champion
I have a suggestion, for all of the ppl who can't make it someone should video tape the entire event and if you really want to do something nice maybe get individuals to say a few words on video about awesome memories or awesome things to say about Ryan and give the tape to his mom with the cash that was donated.

Man, if I have to say something in front of a camera the waterworks would come out again. But I would definitely try to do this for him.

Handorin

Smash Hero

Just building on this, we could have anyone do it. We could have one running at the tournament for anyone that wants too, and then anyone who can't come can get their own camera and send footage to us.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I was planning on taking my camera (pictures, not video), laptop + capture card, and a posterboard for people to sign.

I really like your idea RAM. We just need to figure out who's got a nice camera.

I think my mom has a good video camera, we definitely have a tripod that I can bring. I am almost certain she would let me use her camera...

I'm not sure right now but I think I can do the video thing. I think I can also edit it all together and put it on a DVD, because I have adobe premiere pro 4.0. I can then rar + upload it to MU for anyone here who wants a copy. Of course I'd deliver the DVD to Mrs. Roberts personally.

It might be a lot of work but I will try to get it all done as fast as I possibly can, hopefully to get the DVD out fast enough to be delivered with the money.

Also I plan on using some of that footage and the matches I get recorded to make a little video for the smash community. This is something I need input on, I don't really know what to do. Do I use footage of Ryan playing? Or our playing all links and falcons at this tournament? Or both? I mean I know I'll include tidbits of footage from this tourney. I don't know, I'll have to think about it...

Winnar

Smash Lord
Oh, here's an idea: I can make a video that tells his story. How he went from scrub to being nationally recognized as a great Falcon.

I'll need heavy input from everyone, especially DML, but I think this could be really good. I can start working on it now (well, once exams are finished) and then go back after I have the video from this and overlay some of the sound and stuff.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Oh, here's an idea: I can make a video that tells his story. How he went from scrub to being nationally recognized as a great Falcon.

I'll need heavy input from everyone, especially DML, but I think this could be really good. I can start working on it now (well, once exams are finished) and then go back after I have the video from this and overlay some of the sound and stuff.
I have some early early vids of him, when we bothed sucked. Even got some on my computer I made with a Digital camera at my house in late 2007.

I'll try and dig for them, if you really need them.

Renth

Smash Hero
I'd gladly go to this and then some but i'll be in Pennsylvania taking care of personal business.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I did a lot of recording late '08 - early '09 until my capture card died, many of which was me and Ryan. I'll see what I've got saved when I get home.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Guys, this is amazing. I'm proud to know I'm part of a real family such as this. I wish so badly I could be there with you all. I'll contribute to this in any way I can.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
If someone can send me the highest res pictures of Ryan I can make a large banner for the event. I work at a graphic design/printing place so I can design and print it and just have to pay for paper and ink. I will also need Zane's address so I can mail it so it would be set up prior to the event. I also want to mail it just in case something happens that prevents me from being there (incredibly, incredibly unlikely but possible.)

Also, is anybody offering housing? At the moment I plan on coming with Will and Tony (Clink).

Top Bottom