• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~~ Into the Fray: A Snake Survival Guide ~~

Jayo

Smash Apprentice
Good work man

I definitely didn't know this existed...It's going to be a great help​

Samus-T

Smash Lord
A lot of possibilities in the edge guarding section that i never thought of. good stuff

waveshinespike

Smash Cadet
me and a friend are in an arguement
he is the leader of another forum and hes trying to ban all glitches (le gasp) from our little tourneys that every characters cannot do (can still snake dash)

he is trying to say grenade sheilding/rolling is a glitch and is trying to ban it

i say its not, he says it is

What do you guys think?

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
great guide!
just something that might be helpful...
after experimenting with the mortar slide [without contact] i've figured, IMO, the easiest way to do this.
simply dash, c-stick down, and immediately after, hit Z+up. This even allows you to charge the mortar. another great thing about this trick is that it can still be done when the c-stick is set to attacks [not smash]. i set the c-stick to attacks because snake has probably the best tilts in the game, and hitting the c-stick keeps me from accidentally performing a smash.
sorry if this is common knowledge, but i thought it was helpful.

waks

Smash Journeyman
I think you can walk off the ledge and just do Bair and get a stage spike (works with mostly characters with vertical recovery). And I need to test this more, but I think it can be done.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I think you can walk off the ledge and just do Bair and get a stage spike (works with mostly characters with vertical recovery). And I need to test this more, but I think it can be done.
Yep, you certainly can. This works very well against ledge stallers, like dk stalling with ledgehopped up+b's. Just be careful not to fast fall.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Awesome, just include to your guide or something :) People need to know, stage spikes are smexy, lol :p

waks

Smash Journeyman
Also, on Mortar edgeguarding, try going to the edge of the stage, do a full charged mortar, then hug the edge. This should create pressure to opponents.

umop ap!sdn

Smash Rookie
Also, on Mortar edgeguarding, try going to the edge of the stage, do a full charged mortar, then hug the edge. This should create pressure to opponents.
And, if you do a fully charged mortar and an uncharged (cstick up) one, they'll land at roughly the same time.

I learned that from watchin PsychoMidget.

Foxhound_Joshua

Smash Apprentice
Very well detailed and easily understood info!

I love playing as Snake, being my favorite video game character and all. And when my Smash friend informed me that he was broken with overwhelming priority-- get outta town. The only thing I had trouble with up until recently was No Contact Snake Dashing. The easiest way for me is:

1. Dash
2. Initiate Dash Attack with C Stick.
3. Hold Up on the Analog stick and Z at the same time.

Before anyone says, "but that is the way you do it", I had a lot of people try to tell me otherwise. Well, hope it helps anyone!

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Here's something new I've been doing for edgeguard lately:

- use a fully charged mortar
- then use an non-charged mortar
- then use n.air or C4 stick if my opponent is able to land on the stage.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
Here's something new I've been doing for edgeguard lately:

- use a fully charged mortar
- then use an non-charged mortar
- then use n.air or C4 stick if my opponent is able to land on the stage.
Interesting, mortars make the opponents I play delay and go for the ledge >.>.

What I've been doing as of late is lobbing nades as a sub for mortars, sometimes double jumping so they detonate a little above ground or immediately after landing. Works well if your opponent is a little too far and you've got time to set up, since it can still punish if they do land on stage.

Debonu

Smash Cadet
does the mortar have invincibility frames on it when u take it out because when i was practicing a mortar slide normally whenever i run over a proximity mine(which i kept accidentally putting down while practicing) it would stop the slide then and there but one of the slides just went right over the mine and it seemed about the time when the mortar was being put on the ground

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
does the mortar have invincibility frames on it when u take it out because when i was practicing a mortar slide normally whenever i run over a proximity mine(which i kept accidentally putting down while practicing) it would stop the slide then and there but one of the slides just went right over the mine and it seemed about the time when the mortar was being put on the ground
It does not. You must of hit the surrounding area of the mine to set it off. If you are far away enough, the mine will not hit you. So, a good way of setting it off is using up tilt with Snake. :)

.:DRAKE:.

Smash Apprentice
Excellent guide. You cut out all the irrelevant nonsense (eg "Did you know - SNAKE HAS DIFFERENT COLOURS?!?") and only kept the useful, practical info.

Kudos to all the contributors.

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'd like to contribute two things that you could have included. With Grenades, a really useful thing is cooking one a little, DON'T SHIELD DROP, the hold back and let go of B. The grenade goes upward and does not move too far. I've found this useful for stopping aerial approaches, like Marth's.

Another great thing to do with Grenades is hold onto them when you are knock up high. When you land, shield and poof. Your opponent, who expected to knock you back into the air again, is in for an unpleasant surprise.

When playing against characters who can fly, here's something that I love doing. Most flying characters can make their way to the other side of the stage, this works to counter that every now and then. It works best on levels which are very thin near the edges, Final Destination and Battlefield will do. Plant a C4 on the edge of the stage. Once your opponent grabs the edge, drops themselves down and then jumps again, detonate the C4. They'll be instantly stage spiked. The best way to coax them into doing this is first planting the C4 on say the left side of the stage, then spamming grenades from the right side of the stage.

Also, you should mention that the Nikita missile can pull off GREAT stage spikes.

Kakashi421

Smash Cadet
I knew most of the stuff by myself, but the C4 and Grenade part was just plain helpful!
And the utilt hitbox...thats just insane. XD

Top Bottom