• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Soran

Smash Ace
Waseda is the only way.

would Saros and I be able to get a ride with you on the 4th, ngamer?

I'm sorry I may not understand the situation. To my understanding there will be a Smash tourney on the 4th along with Ultimate. Correct me if I'm wrong and we can get this straightened out.

I'll go anyway but Saros will only go if there is Ultimate to be had.

Conspiracy*

Smash Cadet
@Soran: Thanks for putting that clarification out there. I was a bit unclear as well but being the NEWB of the group, didn't want to get flamed for asking dumb questions ;)

Sounds like a good turnout is expected. Should be fun for my first tournament!

PortCity

Smash Ace
So, it seems that the Iowa fighting game scene is dying :-\... We will find out this Saturday, but given the number of posts here, on SRK, and facebook about games being played, all the fragmentation is starting to catch up with us :( ... I mean how often do you see 4 days worth of posts on the same page?

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
Ok, so I have my car fixed and am settled into my new apartment. All I need now is some finances and I should be able to get back into the scene with some people. Not sure how many people are gona see this or care, but yeah. Just to let everyone know ^_^

Is there a fest or something going on soon? Cuz I have dance stuff going on for the 2nd ;_;

Also, how's everyone doin?

Conspiracy*

Smash Cadet
So, it seems that the Iowa fighting game scene is dying :-\... We will find out this Saturday, but given the number of posts here, on SRK, and facebook about games being played, all the fragmentation is starting to catch up with us :( ... I mean how often do you see 4 days worth of posts on the same page?
I am new to the community and I recently met an smash player that said he hadn't played in over a year. I am getting him to go to jokers on the 4th and double with me. I know things are dying down but I hope there's still enough ppl willing to get smashed by Zelda...with a nun chuck ;)

:phone:

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Greg: I just watched "King of Chinatown"... What is your opinion on the movie? I liked it, thought I have mixed feelings about Justin and Triforce. Want to know something I completely knew nothing about.... M2K is sponsored by Empire Acadia. I had no clue about that one.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I'm moving this summer, but I have one last tournament planned. I'll be speaking to Blake about it soon.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
The tourney for this weekend is still on right? Unless it got moved to the 4th.
Yes and I should also mention for those that may be confuse:

IMPORTANT

This week monthly is for Fighting games only and there won't be any smash present so if you're interested check out the thread:
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...ghting-edition-tourneys-des-moines-ia.151295/

February 4th is the date for my next Smash monthly which will still have Marvel as a side event but that's it.

In all fairness everything dies around here including card games such as pokemon point being is one of the bad things about living on the Midwest since there's people that will play but are so spread out is not worth it I should also mention that even though game die around here it's still strong on other parts like the East or West cost.

Ok, so I have my car fixed and am settled into my new apartment. All I need now is some finances and I should be able to get back into the scene with some people. Not sure how many people are gona see this or care, but yeah. Just to let everyone know ^_^

Is there a fest or something going on soon? Cuz I have dance stuff going on for the 2nd ;_;

Also, how's everyone doin?
I care Zash ^.^
I have my next monthly for Smash on the 4th of February I can probably do some sort off biweekly after it or if you want we can drive down to Brandon's place or something since i think we have to go there if we want to play otherwise you will have to just hang with me which by the way is pretty sweet >.0

@Greg: I just watched "King of Chinatown"... What is your opinion on the movie?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp7AVha2Dy4 nuff said XD

I'm moving this summer, but I have one last tournament planned. I'll be speaking to Blake about it soon.
And from what I been told you are making MK legal for it o.0

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Well, I would prefer to keep him illegal, but we have some..out of country interest in this tournament, so I think it's perhaps a little better to make him legal?

Soran

Smash Ace
Well, I would prefer to keep him illegal, but we have some..out of country interest in this tournament, so I think it's perhaps a little better to make him legal?
wise choice, my friend. I'll just get pwnificated ^o^ I'll get pwnificated by a Bowser.... >.> I'm freely free to a very high degree. Drinking liquids make me pee. I like liquids- even more than solid. I knew a kid by the name of Khalid. He was a soccer player. If you got a heart attack I'd say to take some Bayer~ my free free-style. free in many degrees- more than one.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
pff before MK was ban I was told to unban him other wise no one will have showed up to my tourneys yet the same people who usually attend them still did.

Also MK is officially ban and people should be used to that when you tourney comes around.

I already accepted that MK is no longer in the game and actually wanted to hack the char select screen to remove MK but point being I'm going to stop going to tourneys in which MK is allowed.

On a different note what is the yellow, white and red cable call composite?

PortCity

Smash Ace
point being I'm going to stop going to tourneys in which MK is allowed.
LOL @ ^

@MK Ban: I'm still glad MK is banned, now we can play on more stages and go back to having variety. Japanese play on 3 stages....this ain't melee :-\....if it is a trade off between 1 character and 15 possible legal stages...I'll take the stages

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Also, that is going to be a part of the KS/IA/MO circuit, right?

If so, you can't really BAN MK when 3 of the top 9 players (m2k, Domo, clel) are all MK mains and MJG and a few others on that list ALT MK. Banning MK would be the most unethical thing ever.

When Nebraska has the circuit event, MK will be legal. After that, we'll see what happens, but the next tournament that I will be hosting MK will be legal as well.
Kirby characters gonna get banned tho

Ban brawl nd let's play Killer instinct

:phone:
If we had a KI tournament I would love that.

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
You people can't accept change.... STOP CATERING TO TOP PLAYERS!! Who cares if they won't be at your tournament. Joker had Ally came without any incentives. "Oh, we have to keep MK around because I want M2K or any other top player at my tournament." That's not even a guarantee that they would show up. You guys actually like to see results with :metaknightbrawl:, :metaknightbrawl:, :metaknightbrawl:, :metaknightbrawl:, :metaknightbrawl:? With this day and age with the new rules, if you have MK at your tournament, I feel like you would lose attendance. For the people that abide to the new rules, I respect you because now you can work on a whole lot of other match-ups rather than pondering all the time, "How can I beat MK without playing MK himself?" Stay free America.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
All that I'm saying is that if you have an established rules set for a circuit, you either have to

A. Stop the circuit and payout the winners now and start a new circuit with MK banned.
or
B. Keep MK legal until the circuit is over.

It isn't like banning a stage, banning an entire character completely changes everything. Not even for M2K, what about Domo and Clel, kansas guys.

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
All that I'm saying is that if you have an established rules set for a circuit, you either have to

A. Stop the circuit and payout the winners now and start a new circuit with MK banned.
or
B. Keep MK legal until the circuit is over.

It isn't like banning a stage, banning an entire character completely changes everything. Not even for M2K, what about Domo and Clel, kansas guys.
I didn't even know a Circuit is going on right now, but why not change the rules? The players that use MK wouldn't just come then. Its their fault they don't know how to use other characters when they knew of this ban a long time ago.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Well, the reason you can't do that (in an ethical sense) is that the people who place in the top 8 get paid extra money, called the "Circuit Bonus". If you get rid of the character that they use, and they are currently at the top, that is completely unfair for them and is basically just screwing them out of money.

I'm fine with MK banned/legal tournaments, I will attend either. I might even do Kirby banned tournaments where you can't play as Kirby/MK/D3. That sounds way more fair than just banning 1 character when dedede is obviously the most broken character in the game. :p

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
Well, the reason you can't do that (in an ethical sense) is that the people who place in the top 8 get paid extra money, called the "Circuit Bonus". If you get rid of the character that they use, and they are currently at the top, that is completely unfair for them and is basically just screwing them out of money.

I'm fine with MK banned/legal tournaments, I will attend either. I might even do Kirby banned tournaments where you can't play as Kirby/MK/D3. That sounds way more fair than just banning 1 character when dedede is obviously the most broken character in the game. :p
So you're saying TO's would do the same for you and me? The only reason people wouldn't do it is they are afraid of "pros" would get mad at them and they would fix it because they are "top players." Pretty messed up if you asked me for the people who don't have the power to influence Tournament Organizers.

Cook

Smash Master
^You're straw manning here. It may be gay to cater excessively to top players to get them to come, but that's not what Rob is saying at all. He's saying it's not fair to LOCAL players who did well in a circuit if you take away their character because it makes them less likely to win the circuit, even if they were winning before. You can't just say they should have learned a new character when the ban was announced. First off, they aren't going to be as good with a character they've played for just a few months as opposed to one they've maybe played for years. Second, there was no reason to learn new characters for the circuit because initially there was no indication that MK would be banned.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I agree and if I run another circuit event, it would be MK legal to honor my obligations to consistent rules throughout the circuit.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
if it is a trade off between 1 character and 15 possible legal stages...I'll take the stages
This.

Also, that is going to be a part of the KS/IA/MO circuit, right?
I didn't even know there was a circuit going has it started yet or are you just pressuming. All I know is that if Yink doesn't have to make it part of the circuit there was a tourney the same day as her and everyone showed up to hers plus if she sets the day way a head of time it shouldn't come across another tourney of the same day that's on the circuit.

STOP CATERING TO TOP PLAYERS!!
People just like to **** ride XD

Its their fault they don't know how to use other characters when they knew of this ban a long time ago.
Well those people who are at the top aren't really that good then if you lay the rules for each tournament in advance it shouldn't be a problem plus if it's part of the circuit and it's one tourney with MK ban it shouldn't affect them also I remember a Kansas circuit which had 6 tourneys I believe point being Texas only showed up for the first and last event and won the circuit.

You can't just say they should have learned a new character when the ban was announced. First off, they aren't going to be as good with a character they've played for just a few months as opposed to one they've maybe played for years. Second, there was no reason to learn new characters for the circuit because initially there was no indication that MK would be banned.
I guess I will like to ask what circuit are you guys talking about and has it started o.0
Also I think it was November when they annouced MK was going to be ban after APEX and Yink's tourney won't be till mid year or so I'll say that gives you a pretty good amount of time to learn a char for at least that event assuming is part of the circuit

I agree and if I run another circuit event, it would be MK legal to honor my obligations to consistent rules throughout the circuit.
So if you are the leader of the circuit then you will make him legal or if the guy running it has him legal but if you are obligated to consistency then if the leader wants MK ban then you will be obligated to ban him at your event am i right.

I mean your tourneys tend to use the unity rules actually most people due if anything so why won't you follow them now only cause MK is ban.

When it comes to running a tournament is because you want to have some fun with it maybe make it a bit different then others but when you are told you should run the tourney a certain way well then is not really your tourney now is it.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
The consistency stems from you shouldn't change the rules mid circuit.

For example, I started my local circuit for L Town Thrown Down with MK Banned, so I intend to keep MK Banned as I tally points. This works well for me since I'm a URC member and have to host Unity which is MK Banned now.

But for a BTEH on the MWW Circuit, I'd probably keep MK Legal (although my involvement with the URC might preclude me from hosting on the circuit because I kind of have to use Unity so rather than create a problem by hosting I'd probably just avoid it) because that's what the ruleset has been in the past.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
@ Joker http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=297304

I have stuff to say but I gotta go catch the bus from chicago to omaha now.

I made you guys proud, beat Kryz/zwarm/hadesblade in MM's, vids at 11. Just not of me beating Kryz, but...
Pools
:ganondorf: Breezy

Singles Bracket
:wolf: Kain (first set of GFs)

Doubles Bracket
:wolf: / :marth: Kain and Sago vs :pit:/:wario: + :yoshi2: PREHISTORIC MIRACLEZ

MMs
:wolf: MegaRobMan vs :ness2: / :mario2: and :pit: for 10 dollars total (boy I was a mess XD)
:samus2: Sago vs :pit: for 3 dollars

Next time I'll try going undefeated if that makes "mfw" Raichu happy.
you can take his word for it

Top Bottom