• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IRC for Coordinating ONLINE -FRIEND CODE BOT IS UP!

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
IRC is pretty easy, you Down Load it, select your server, connect and ur done.

I just got on for the first time today ^^

Yawgmoth

Smash Cadet
This is not a thread where you post your own alternatives. AIM won't do anything really. irc is a simple protocol virutally bandwithless.. AIM on the other hand still has lag. For you people who don't know how to use irc. learn cause its going to stay here for a long time. You can't make scripts in aim. can you? There are 40+ people in IRC right now, so what does that say about the people who are to confused.... (well its self explanatory) and IRC is known worldwide. Trust me #smashscrim will be next stop when you want a good decent match at anytime in the day, because it has security to make sure people don't chat , only post games. in aim you can't have security like IRC. so the aim thing is practically just got pwned.
Actually they do have a point. Although IRC is not very difficult, you organized it very poorly and made it seem complicated. Just look at the first post; most of the stuff doesn't even need to be there. There are about 4 different instructions for setting up IRC in your orginal post. Also, no one calls smash games "scrims".

It looks like you didn't even try to proofread, organize, or simplify it, and you just threw a bunch of crap together without understand exactly what coordinating online requires. Overall you just have poor planning and organization, otherwise this would have been a decent idea.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
I just made it very detailed. so people would know what to expect. . theres a fool proof irc tutorial. and theres a lot of people on the channel right now too.

genus

Smash Rookie
I'm inclined to agree with Yawgmoth in the area of arbitrary instructions...you're writing this guide for people who are new to IRC, and won't understand the difference from one client to the next. It seems unnecessary that you're telling people how to set up more than one client...after all nobody starts off on IRC knowing which clients are better than others.

However, the organization of the rooms themselves is right on the money. Using a script to reduce spam, he has made it impossible for anyone to flood the room...you can only post 4 times in one minute before you're kickbanned (iirc bans are cleared every 10 minutes, so it's not that exorbitant a penalty but enough of a deterrent that people won't try stupid stuff). I don't know about you, but I've been to scrimmage rooms with insufficient censoring, and it's ****-near impossible to get matches in without these safeguards (Serebii's room being the worst offender). Jeremiah recognized this and took preventative measures; you're not going to see offtopic rambling in the scrimmage rooms, but if some people are so inclined to have offtopic discussions...well they have another room for that. That's a pretty clear indication of experience to me.

And even if you do consider Jeremiah unsound, he allready has ops with experience monitoring the rooms to ensure nothing gets started. I know personally I'll be keeping a sharp eye on the room.

Anyways Igloo, good luck with your AIM room but I don't see much happening with it. With AIM it's hard to police a matchmaking service as it needs to be handled on a per-user basis given the lack of a scripting engine, and assuming this doesn't deter potential users, I don't think the audience is there. The GameFaqs userbase (for better or for worse) seems drawn to IRC, and if this topic is any indication you're not winning Smashboards users over. We capped 84 users yesterday, and Brawl isn't even out...I think that's telling of future success.

For Jeremiah: have we thought of adding a ranking system to the matchmaking service? It wouldn't be too hard...barring dishonesty of course, which could be easily handled with screenshots. Set up a bot that, when messaged the results of the match (a format of name:place,name:place seems easy enough) adjusts the scores of the battlers given some sort of algorithm. If conflicting reports come in the rankings are not changed, a screenshot can be sent to someone with control of the bot, and they can manually adjust the rankings, with a penalty for whoever lied. The ranked match channel would of course be seperate from the scrimmage channel, meaning skilled players can scrimmage with other skilled players...perhaps it could even be used to seed players in future online tournaments? I think the idea is worth considering.

Sportsfan

Smash Rookie
Hello all,

I am new to the board...read occasionally for a few months, but finally just decided to join. I already use IRC, so I was excided to find a channel that I could talk some smash on. I will be hanging out in #smashworld. I have experience with IRC, so if you need any help, as others have said, I am willing to give it if needed.

I look forward to talking to all of you, definitely in the next month, to help me get through until the game is released...it's killing me! I can't wait!

Also, I know you guys are trying to stop the talk of it, but the main aspect or IRC that makes it better than an IM program (for something like smash,) is the fact that you can come into a room with many people, and quickly find someone to play with...instead of having to get the screen name of individual people and IM them. IRC is really not that bad at all to get up and running.

With that said, see you in chat! ... only 27 days left!

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
Thanks for the support miller.We have many users in the room at night and during the day, alot of people just idle to. If any mods want to be a operator in the room just ask in #smashworld and any other channels i own, and i will put you as a operator with out hesitation.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
theres a seperate channel for spoilers #smashspoilers. but were not going to register it because theres no point because the game comes out in japan next week

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Will do :(

Eh its not that big of a deal anyway.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
its great procedure n' all but..

really..

isnt this something msn cant cure?

ile check this out when i get beter internet.....and a wifi box.

after actually READING IT...

heck id say this i great.

an alternate smashboards..plus place SPEFICIALLY made for online brawling..

youve done yourself well smasher.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
Yea the channel has a lot of outside and insider info. and i found a couple of good Smash64 Matches. and when Brawl comes out who knows what kind of chaos will happen. Seriously guys, do you want to play randies in matchmaking in SSB wifi. or wait 15 minutes for someone to reply to your post with a Wii code. In IRC its instant. and for you people who said it was unorganized before. Now it has a table of contents..color coded and everything

Flatfeet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flatfeet
Nice, I'll be signing up and all that, but since Brawl has no release date for NZ yet, it'll be a while before I get much use out of it. :(

miller483

Smash Ace
Yea the channel has a lot of outside and insider info. and i found a couple of good Smash64 Matches. and when Brawl comes out who knows what kind of chaos will happen. Seriously guys, do you want to play randies in matchmaking in SSB wifi. or wait 15 minutes for someone to reply to your post with a Wii code. In IRC its instant. and for you people who said it was unorganized before. Now it has a table of contents..color coded and everything

lol Waiting 10 min for FC replies on GameFAQS got annoying. That's why I'm a big fan of chatrooms like this.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
simna was in the room today ago. ^_^ we should have more pros in the the irc channels.
i decided if smashscrim gets more than 60 idlers then we will make #smashscrim2

cwal37

Smash Rookie
Yeah, this should work really well once it comes out, the spontaneity of irc is always nice. Especially for something like this.

S2

Smash Lord
I'm gonna wait and see if this idea actually goes anywhere.

SWF is nice because we know we can find skilled players here. Its hard to convince players to move somewhere else.

That being said, I'm sure that some easy way of finding players will be established in the first few months... once something becomes popular that'll probably be it.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
hoping this'll be it though.

dont wanna sign up and get comfortable,only to find out theres a new mega chatroom right across the block.

ile wait too.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
its not moving to a different channel. its just fast response. instead of waiting 10 min. only pro we got in here is simna. you can meet a lot of skilled players in smashworld and smashscrim

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
This chat is sweet and ftw lol

Just join now, its very easy, right now its just a smash bros chat room with a growing amount of people, and already there are regulars that are on every day. No point in waiting,

Dowloud Mirc, type in the server name, and type #smashworld and hit connect, easy

Dark Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neoshade
I found an alternative if you dont want to download firefox or mirc.

http://kickmeto.gellar.net/pjirc/

This is a web based java app to run IRC. Just click advanced settings then:
Pick a nickname
leave password blank(this is nickserv which is not used by gamesurge.)
Channel= #smashworld
IRC Server= irc.gamesurge.net
then save the settings. Use load settings when you come to use it later.

If you need help, catch me by pm or messenger.

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
this is a great idea but this method requires you to go to your wii menu all the time right?

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
I would use IRC but I can't be on the wii internet and the computer's internet at the same time,because I only have one ethernet port in my wall....
To fix that is get a router. so you can have multiple internet connections.

this is a great idea but this method requires you to go to your wii menu all the time right?

Yea, you have to constantly add Wii friend codes. and deleting them. If the theory of battle records is right from the interview with iwata, then we could keep your records too. Eventually within a year we'll have #smashmatch or w/e where you can have serious matches. but thats just being optimistic.

Mattman88

Smash Rookie
I found an alternative if you dont want to download firefox or mirc.

http://kickmeto.gellar.net/pjirc/

This is a web based java app to run IRC. Just click advanced settings then:
Pick a nickname
leave password blank(this is nickserv which is not used by gamesurge.)
Channel= #smashworld
IRC Server= irc.gamesurge.net
then save the settings. Use load settings when you come to use it later.

If you need help, catch me by pm or messenger.
^-- this is good juju

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
the date is approaching sooner than we think. And you don't want to play with people in JAPAN with high lag. come too #smashscrim

Kamaka

Smash Cadet
I haven't used IRC in a couple years, but the idea of it made me feel nostalgic so I logged into #smashworld as Kamakazi. I'll stick around if someone will talk to me :D

Top Bottom