• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Olimar a dissapointment? why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cid2006

Smash Rookie
My personal opinion isn't really that Olimar won't be a bad character to play with, or that his spot in Smash isn't well deserved, but compared to the variety of strong characters that could have taken his place in this Character update, that was probably long overdue, Olimar was a little bit of a disappointment. I honestly have had little exposure to Pikmen so I am in no position to judge the type of character he is, or will be.

EROY

Smash Rookie
Play the game: Olimar is useless without pikmin. It is the pikmin that do the most of the fighting, not Olimar. Therefore the pikmin HAVE to be the attacks.

I'm so thrilled Olimar is in.

Cid2006

Smash Rookie
Looks boring, this is the 1st char EVER that cannot use its smashes without its buddies. This char will most likely , i think be a low tier. I think he will play like a low tie without its pikmin and maybe like a mid tie with its smaser, they will probably be good he cannot use them without his pikmin u should be glad there is another char u can play with.

He'll probably be pretty good for those who know how to use him. I always thought Ness or Jigglypuff were the worst characters in SSBM until I learned how to use them proficiently.

Rakae

Smash Rookie
I don't really mind Olimar (I would have rather had a confirm on C.Falcon)

The thing that will make me mad about Olimar if he becomes a top tier choice. I know we don't know the move set but I can see his sizes and unusual moves giving him an edge.

XxAlucardxX

Smash Cadet
He could play like ice climbers, with multple characters on the screen...he actually looks okay

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
If he can only have 5 Pikmin out at once, it would suck. He said that are short live and tend to scatter, and with no Pikmin he's screwed. No special attacks or smash attacks. I hope he can pick them up fast or combo making is an imposssibility. Does this mean he will have the easiest to gimp recovery here?

princetoma

Smash Cadet
@ XxAlucardxX

You do realized what you have done don't you? I hope your happy with yourself. You've started an opinion based character war. People from all over will come and start bustin your chops and other people as well about what characters they want or rather have.

"Olimar kicks ***!! **** Sonic, Geno, Sora and the rest of those *****es!"

"**** Sonic!? Man **** Olimar, that dumb ****, ****** of a character. I would rather have Pacman than him."

You gonna be seeing more of this coming and coming. It seem people feel that strongly for their character choices.

I don't Mind Olimar But I rather see Veiwtiful Joe than Olimar. But I will Give Olimar a try when brawl is released. He seem interesting enough.

aruby14

Smash Apprentice
I got a Sonic sig/avy and I actually don't want the whole Sonic cast in Brawl. To be honest, I'd like to see Spyro in Brawl. I loved Spyro back in the day, and I think he's a very appropriate character to add.

As for a Sonic character, t'd be cool to see Tails, but I don't want to see gimmick characters like Shadow or Amy added. It's all mute since there's only going to be one Sonic rep, and that's Sonic.

I don't see why Sonic's recent crap games (I hate them too) should stop him from getting a spot in Brawl. Sakurai has taken care to give Sonic the respect he deserves (notice how his moveset and music are all derived from the classic games?).
dont get me wrong i love the classic sega games as well
Hell i was jumping for joy when i saw the Sonic update
I just hate it when a bunch of Sega and Sonic fanboys diss on Nintendo franchises cuz
A) they never played it
B) they hate Nintendo and are glad to see Sonic in a Nintendo game

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
Princetoma, you made a good point.

The way everybody reacts to the character is opinion based.
One could be an Olimar fan and adore him, while others still waiting for their supported characters confirmation exclaim how 'dumb' he is.

Let me tell you something...

Just because one supported character got in doesn't give you the right to say this character is 'dumb' or 'i hate him' or 'he's boring'

YOU DON'T KNOW IT

All you saw was his confirmation, not how he fights.

I sure as hell don't want a character similar to that of an already confirmed character, besides Luigi.

For example, Krystal, who we know is in... via the voice actor, would be similar to Fox.

Don't you want variety?

Luigi player

Smash Master
At first I really wanted that he'll end up as an AT and leaves the fighting place to others, but now I'm not thinking this. I thought this update is so awesome!! I really like Olimar now.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What's disappointing about Olimar...

What other character can take a little creature and smack someone upside the head with it?

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Little Mac... was amazing. You kinda had to be there with Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!!, otherwise I dunno if you'd appreciate it as much.

Chapstick

Smash Cadet
Olimar absolutely deserves a fighter spot in Brawl. Pikmin is a fresh, innovative, first party series that couldn't go unrecognized. Besides, Olimar looks to be a really interesting fighter and not to mention he's extremely popular.

Those of you who continue to bash the poor spaceman are really foolish to not have seen that this creative character was a shoe-in for Brawl. A really awesome shoe-in at that!

SkarmoryDarkPulse

Smash Rookie
how is he a disappointment, hes innovative and is completely unique to the series, and am extremely happy he made it considering he was my 2nd most wanted

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
It was a dissapointment to people who are still waiting around for Ridley and Geno as PCs...

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Seems like alot of hate for pikmin and olimar in this thread...
Really tho, anyone that has been following the updates forever should be glad we get more characters peirod. I don't know why people think that if one character is in another character can't be.
Pikmin and olimar should make a very fun and different type of character to play. I really like the idea of having to pull pikmin out of the ground to use certain attacks. Hopefully they will show some of his moves in the next update or maybe a video to give us an idea of how he fights. I remember on melee that you needed to have saved data from pikmin to get the pikmin trophy. I wonder if they will do anything like that in brawl.

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Pikmin is a succesful (relatively) new Nintendo franchise. To not put Olimar in would be ridiculous.

There's definitely characters I personally would prefer to be in Brawl, but Olimar needed in.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Why complain about a completely original character unlike anybody else? I don't care that his character design isn't the best. Pikmin was an awesome game with a really cool art style. It lends itself to brawl very well. I can't wait to see the Pikmin stage (Assuming there is one).

Honestly? Who would you rather see over Olimar? Would you rather see lame characters like Bowser Jr or Waluigi? What's wrong with originality. It's not like Olimar is a surprise.

Primetime84

Smash Cadet
Well I saw it and wasn't to surprised. I was glad he's in the game. Then saw that everything he does is translated through the Pikmin. It should be interesting to see how that works. To me, im dissapointed. But i'll c how he plays, he'll probably end up being pretty cool only time will tell.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Olimar is not in the least bit a dissapointment - he is actually a joy for me to see especially after a 3 month character drought.

In my opinion, he has the most unique moveset to be revealed in Brawl thus far, one character I'm actually interested in hearing about how he works/his physics.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
not really disappointing to me but hes probly gona be one of those characters that i dont really go near/play.

but at least we can say if Olimar made it...then any of our faves will return or be a newcomer

the master of legends

Smash Cadet
I agree with the topic creator so screw you SinisterLizard. Seeing Olimar with his Pikmin posse made me think "WTF?!?". I think the idea is pretty bad. I mean come on, you can't even do a smash without having a friggin' Pikmin up your a$$. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Colenstien

Smash Ace
yeah but wouldn't anyone rather have someone else ? he looks really boring

Oh yeah, cause this looks boring.

He's attacking mario with a freaking LIVING BEING!!! So you go on hateing him...... Troll. I'll just have to shun you. *grabs cerimonial shunning stick*

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I agree with the topic creator so screw you SinisterLizard. Seeing Olimar with his Pikmin posse made me think "WTF?!?". I think the idea is pretty bad. I mean come on, you can't even do a smash without having a friggin' Pikmin up your a$$. Pretty lame if you ask me.
Lol I like how people like this guy underestimate him. have you ever played a Pikmin game for more than an hour? clearly not. Either way, hes such a unique character, its impossible not to like him, and now Ill talk of the smash attack thing.

Not being able to do smash attacks without Pikmin is not the same thing as not being able to do ANY attacks without Pikmin. Good players, and dedicated players will find many ways to make him really great, plus, you dont lose the Pikmin when you smash, it obviously stays in your hand until thrown. (Depending on what throws it) and then it proceeds to attack enemies. AI = win.

Also, purple Pikmin will obviously be different than the others, given they are 10 times heavier, so doing a smash attack with them will obviously have a ton of power behind it, can you say uber win?

Dont underestimate him because of looks, and general descriptions, and please people, dont agree with the OP, he fails because he gave NO reasoning, and is most likely a supporter of the bogus extra sonic characters like Shadow, who would not add NEARLY as much originality to the game as Olimar. This is not bias. This is fact.

And I still notice that 95% of the people posting Olimar hate are N00bs or childs. And have most likely never played a Pikmin game, like I said.

Fail.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
How could you be dissapointed from an unique character. Don't say he took another character's spot, because that makes no sense at all. Why would anyone not want more characters?

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
That's because you are weak-minded. Seriously, all of you uncreative morons are really starting to get on my nerves. If you can't even see the greatness in this character, then I just feel sorry for you. "Yeah, I only want unoriginal boring character who are just like all the others we've had before." Yeah, sounds great.

Get out of here, noob. Go play with your little princess ponies or something.

Pokec

Smash Journeyman
I believe he was one of the most wanted...aside of Sonic, non?

I like him, and the only similarity I see with peach is maybe making his B+down move pulling a pikmin out og the ground.

SlayerOfEvil

Smash Apprentice
He was one of those characters that I would like to see in, but thought they wouldn't do. I was shocked and loved it. C'mon, what's wrong with a NEW character here?

What I was shocked about was that from all the "Olimar for brawl" sigs, there wasn't a massive shockwave of glee shown! Just "is he a disappointment?" kind of thing. Figures..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom