• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a recovery tier list?

Lovage

Smash Hero
falco > sheik and ic and maybe pika

marth is pretty good tho, way better then that list. it's not that his recovery is so amazing, it's that he can put out so many quick attacks that swat away most edge guard attempts and overall make him much more intimidating (cuz it's way worse to mess up against marth off the edge than most other characters)

samus is better than what pink reaper put tho
she has a lot of choices she can make and a broken up+b that is very difficult to hit if they time it right (and if you mess up you get knocked down, letting them wavedash on safely)

falcon vs. ganon is hard. i'd say ganon has a slight advantage overall but i think falcon has a much easier time edge canceling his up+b and he can move in the air better

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I think falcon's is better because of the air speed think of when falcon up-Bs really high and falls forward then when they go that way to punish him he can quickly fall backwards and get the edge that and knee helps get back on sometimes at least more so than the fist

unknown522

Some guy
Once you get below the top 7-8 recoveries, the rest really suck ***.

Ganon's recovery is better than falcon's. He's floaty, so he can attack with u-air/f-air/d-air when he's recovering. He's also heavy, and takes forever to die off the top, so he can come down close to the stage. Falcon being a fastfaller screws him over on recovery.

Doc is rated too low by most people. There are worse recoveries out there...like roy. Doc's recovery still sucks ***.

Samus' recovery sucks. It's too easy to set up on her with a lot of characters and abuse ledge invincibility. Just like on a lot of other characters.

Luigi's 1/8 chance to make it back is better than a lot of character's.....close to 0% chances to recover.

Geist

Smash Master
link's recovery is pretty good
Link's recovery is super legit

Also being a Samus player I would like to say her recovery is alright. Against a person who can't edgeguard, it's great, but I'm pretty sure this stuff isn't based off crap players.
Options are nice though, but most of them can honestly be gimped the same way.

I'd say Ganon's recovery is also better than falcon's due to the fact you can be more versitile with guerudo kick on account that it doesn't send you downwards forever.

otg

Smash Master
I agree with unknown that Doc's recovery is slightly better then people make it out to be. It is rarely the case (even vs. like Jman level players) that I die ANY time I'm knocked offstage regardless of % (as many people make it out to be). It still sucks huge donkey balls, but it's probably better then a # of people's recoveries out there.

I'd really like to see an accurate list made.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
Lol you guys are underating Samus recovery.

It's not the best in the game but its still ****ing amazing.

Just the fact that you have to ****ing edgeguard them to 190% and be so consistent makes it awesome. She also has a ****load of options. Even more if you play a samus that knows all the tricksiez.
saying falco/sheik > samus is a joke.

Smash Master
I guess the difference is perspective. Recovering at like 150 is the same for Samus as recovering at 30. For Falco, recovering at 30 is prolly going to put you in a better position than if you were Samus, but if you get knocked away at 150, even if you don't blast off the sides, you may as well zip that way anyway.

unknown522

Some guy
Lol you guys are underating Samus recovery.

It's not the best in the game but its still ****ing amazing.

Just the fact that you have to ****ing edgeguard them to 190% and be so consistent makes it awesome. She also has a ****load of options. Even more if you play a samus that knows all the tricksiez.
saying falco/sheik > samus is a joke.
Samus definitely has a better recovery than Falco by far and long.
the problem is: she can keep herself in the air for a long time, but she ends up in the same place when she's done....just like a lot of other characters. If you're not getting hit, then it doesn't matter if she dies at 190% or 20%. She's still dieing. Besides, you can just let her on the stage and hit her with a kill move with most characters when she is at kill percent. Pretty much what you do to sheik and marth. Samus' recovery is so slow that you have a lot of time to set up.

Falco's recovery is more versatile. Being able to pick a direction, instant sweetspot, and have a fast illusion that can be shortened at will is amazing.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I consider falcon's recovery better than ganon's because he has a better chance of getting on stage because of his air movement. He can also bait people into covering an inward option then fall back and go for edge. While not particularly reliable, its better than ganon who really has no high options and must try to sweetspot with his jump because his upb is stupid bad.

also, ganon is only 5 points heavier than falcon. thats half the difference between jigglypuff and kirby.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
... wow f*** some SWF search function right now.

Yeah, there was a recovery tier list made years ago.

The only thing I remember about it is that the bottom 3 were
(from better to worst)

Falco
Doc
Roy

Logic tells me jiggs was the highest, but I don't know if she was god tier by herself. I almost want to say samus was up there.

Only reason I'm saying this is if somebody wants to keep F5'ing trying to get the search function to find "recovery tier list".

__

For the sake of convo

Falco's recovery, while short and while he has little-to-no options of defense, is leaps and bounds above docs because he has options.

Doc's recovery is stupid linear and has gimmicks. However, he can actually stall his inevitable death.

Roy, kinda just sits there. Like, sure, he can up+b further than doc, but he can't stall as well as Doc. More importantly, he doesn't have an option of protection aside from his one side+b.

[/dogy's 10 cents]

xbombr

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, Falco's recovery sucks, unknown. He can literally recover horizontally and that's it. His firebird range is crap and he's protected in no way at all during the start up. It doesn't matter how close to the stage he is, if anything at all hits him at any point then it's a stock. Any attack that sends him at a range where he falls below the edge before he can phantasm = a stock. Since you know he's going to phantasm almost every time (Unless he's trying to mindgame with the firebird or something), then it's not hard to edgeguard.

Samus has multiple options for covering both horizontal and vertical distance. Her recovery isn't slow enough to be easily edgegaurded unless you're way off stage. Bombs aren't required for everything. The grapple can help you survive from like anywhere (under FoD or BF's ledges for instance) where Falco's chances of recovery are none.

otg

Smash Master
You guys are dumb. Spacies have ridiculous amount of mixups in their recoveries with the shortening of the side b, upB sweetspot angles from above and below, shine for stalling, really good DJ's etc. I mean yeah, if they are stupid close to the stage and charge a firefox or are BLATANTLY going to side b, then yes it is predictable but with good DI and mixups they can recover from ALOT.

xbombr

Smash Ace
You guys are dumb. Spacies have ridiculous amount of mixups in their recoveries with the shortening of the side b, upB sweetspot angles from above and below, shine for stalling, really good DJ's etc. I mean yeah, if they are stupid close to the stage and charge a firefox or are BLATANTLY going to side b, then yes it is predictable but with good DI and mixups they can recover from ALOT.
I wholeheartedly agree in the case of Fox, but Falco's UpB is terrible for the purposes of vertical recovery and it really limits what he can do and what he can get back from if someone tries to interrupt his recovery.

otg

Smash Master
It's quite obvious that Fox's recover is better then Falco's but as many other people have mentioned here before, his longer upB is a gift and a curse. Falco's upB for vertical recovery isn't any worse then many other characters in terms of distance and versatility (in fact, it's better if anything), I think it's only real downflaw is his vulnerability.

Completely forgot about wall jumps, good **** animal.

Animal

Smash Lord
ya spacies recovery are up there in versatillity id say. wall jumps 2

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
falco's recovery is only slightly worse than fox's. all of the mixups are there, the range is just worse. his DJ is 2x better tho.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
Ness probably has the worst... not only is the range crappy in melee, but it's still extremely predictable. Either wait for nesss to land, smash/grab to kill, or down smash/dair to kill if ness tries grabbing the wall. As much as I love ness in ssb 64, he had the worst recovery in ssb 64 because of its slowness, and in melee it's even worse.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah Ness's is really bad. He's forced to up-B a good distance from the stage so he won't get immediately gimped, and then you can easily edgehog him/punish his landing lag. Easily bottom tier.

rhan

Smash Hero
Ness probably has the worst... not only is the range crappy in melee, but it's still extremely predictable. Either wait for nesss to land, smash/grab to kill, or down smash/dair to kill if ness tries grabbing the wall. As much as I love ness in ssb 64, he had the worst recovery in ssb 64 because of its slowness, and in melee it's even worse.
At least Ness' recovery gives him a shot.

Yoshi's recovery sucks balls.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Ness is easy to gimp. Just jump into the PK Thunder before he hits himself. If you can't get there in time, chill out until he's on the stage, or if he's going for the ledge, edgehog. Done. Also, I don't think you can ever put Fox and Falco in the same group for recovery. Fox's recovery goes leaps and bounds farther, has a larger hitbox, and has a hitbox on the startup while Falco's doesn't. You need to think a good deal more to edgeguard Fox with Falcon than you do with Falco. If you just hit Falco with anything during his up+b or over+b, he's gone. Not true with Fox. Falco's up+b and phantasm are incredibly easy to intercept as long as you know they're coming, which you should. Falco's recovery isn't TERRIBLE but it's not great.

And I'd say Ganon's recovery is better than Falcon's. Not by a ton, but I definitely would say it is. He's way heavier, can down+b basically forever, and his up+b has a larger grab box. Falcon does have walljumps, but they're not nearly as useful as Wizard's Foot. The only stage it makes a real noticeable difference on is Yoshi's. Occasionally on other stages, but very very rarely. Also, Ganon can do a better job of recovering from directly below the stage, as opposed to diagonally up and in, which is a huge bonus. Ganon can force some characters to hit him into something he can wall/edge tech, whereas Falcon can be kept away from teching a lot more easily. That easily makes up for Ganon's lack of walljumping.

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
I think Samus has got to be number one. Jiggs dies at 70% so that kinda ruins that. Samus has so many options to edge guard against. floaty with a grapple and bomb jumps. I've always been surprised that she doesnt win more tourneys.

xbombr

Smash Ace
I've always been surprised that she doesnt win more tourneys.
She's hard to play. You rely solely on spacing and reads since she has a very limited grab game and a slow aerial game. She doesn't exactly have the strongest approach or a good way to put on shield pressure besides jabs. That and she's not nearly as popular as Fox, Falco, or even Marth/Sheik/Falcon so her chances of winning a tournament disregarding skill are statistically lower.

I love Samus and think she's underrated, but some of her match ups are stupidly hard.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
She's hard to play. You rely solely on spacing and reads since she has a very limited grab game and a slow aerial game. She doesn't exactly have the strongest approach or a good way to put on shield pressure besides jabs. That and she's not nearly as popular as Fox, Falco, or even Marth/Sheik/Falcon so her chances of winning a tournament disregarding skill are statistically lower.

I love Samus and think she's underrated, but some of her match ups are stupidly hard.
All true. But I don't think her matchups are bad, save sheik and puff.

xbombr

Smash Ace
All true. But I don't think her matchups are bad, save sheik and puff.
Those are the exact match ups I was referring to. lol

Falcon annoys the hell out of me when I'm using Samus too.. I play Sheik almost equally so I prefer to go for the 70:30 match up unless I know I'm better than who I'm playing against instead of the 40:60 or whatever Samus is vs. Falcon.

Signia

Smash Lord
Roy's recovery is short but he at least has the ability to mix it up if he doesn't get knocked off too far, more so than many other characters. His Up B can be angled 45 degrees, making it drastically different from Marth's recovery in that he can decide to sweetspot early or late. This way, he can clear those trying to wavedash onto the ledge early or late. He can attempt the sweetspot whenever he wants, unlike Marth with his long length and hardly controllable angle. Also, his Up B has more priority and hits hard enough so that if he hits someone and lands on the stage he's not likely to be punished.

Top Bottom