• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any work being done on stage hacking?

Anruu

Smash Rookie
How about doing Yoshi story.

Ideas
*Have randall(the cloud)move super fast around the stage
*Remove those three red platforms
*Give shyguy hit boxes(if possible) [This is if your planning on not to go super neutral]
*Decrease shyguy appearance or its amount (if possible)
*Add a one big shyguy with a hitbox that'll come once in a while but not too often (if possible)
*Get rid of the red dotted lines (cloud trails)

Just some ideas so the stage wont end up like another final destination or battefield....something a little more fun. If its possible

Milun

Smash Ace
..........................................I'm detecting slight sarcasm here......

Yes I can make Roysten fast
I can remove the platforms, but I'm not sure why.
No
Probably not
Definately not
Surprisingly no.

Anruu

Smash Rookie
..........................................I'm detecting slight sarcasm here......
Sarcasm wasn't intended :\

I wish the game was more broken down...discrete. Cuz all I'm seeing is more flat stages coming our way.

Milun

Smash Ace
...um... no comment.

On an unrelated note, Brinstar Depths crashing!

The stage crashes on SOME Wii's, most notably the newer ones. My Wii is chipped, hence I didn't get the crash, but I tried the stage on a friends Wii and it did. Imma try to fix it, as well as update an older stage for a third time.

New plans for MK. Whatdya think? Also, bonus points if you can figure out what this is based off (no asking Timic83 for clues).

Also, update on an old stage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7DIQrp5XD0

crush

Smash Master
alright, a few things milun.

1. the new great bay hack download gives you the file "greatbay - NEW.dat" but when you use it its actually the old high tide at great bay.

2. could you hack jungle japes to remove the water or something? or put in slanted platforms to connect all three main platforms?

3. the new plans for MK look good, i never really liked the metal cavern looking one or the untextured DS too much so hopefully this one will be good.

Milun

Smash Ace
What about Porygon?

Also... OOPS!

Note to self, this is something I'm going to have to fix when I get back today.

And in regards to Japes... er I don't know. Model issues and whatnot. I'll get back to ya.

crush

Smash Master
oh ya forgot about porygon and the first flat mod of mushroom kingdom. didnt really like those either.

alright thanks. pretty sure timic would like bridged waterless japes lol it'd be really good for sheik

Milun

Smash Ace
The texture hacking part of MK2 was done by Steelia, not me. You'll have to take it up with him.

And the Big Blue thing was always here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkp6oKlA2Y
There's a link in the description. And this is the FIXED Big Blue, no lines to annoy you.

And in response to Sulliman: Likely and Yes, although getting the target test stages to be playable in VS. is a whole other story.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
You could replace a selectable stage's ID with one of the target test ones and select it through the regular screens. The only difficulty would be identifying the ID, which would have to be done by someone with the ability to read the game memory (aka Magus at this point). I'd do it myself but I can't get ****ing Dolphin to cooperate.

gooftroop13

Smash Rookie
it seems like this could be used for some very interesting results. I was browsing some action replay codes which utilized this data quite well... You can possibly exchange moves like luigi's fire for any slew of other things including pokemon (maybe? would be absurd if you could) based on the hex value you use. I havent been able to test these yet, but it seems that if you can decrypt the AR codes and find out the place in memory it is modifying, you change that move to have any number of interesting new results.

check out this to see the types of moves already found
http://arcentral.net/ssbm/ssbmV12/v12move.html
and here to see another list of hex values for things you can change it to
http://arcentral.net/ssbm/desc/objectmod.html

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Is there a code to get the water or grass transformations of Pokemon Stadium as selectable stages while retaining the normal Pokemon Stadium? Like, have the water & grass transformations replace Icicle Mountain & Hyrule or something?

Just curious because I've always wondered what it would be like to play those transformations without the stage changing back to normal because they seem like pretty cool levels but I'll understand if that's impossible :p

Milun

Smash Ace
Nah... sorry, that'd really be pushing it. IF we find a way to duplicate stages, there would be a possibility to just make on that auto begins on another form, but it's unlikely. I'd really like for there to be a way to copy stages over other ones, because then I'd put my MK1 hacks over everything.

Also, do you guys remember what the menu selecting file is (the one you open when you want to texture hack the stage icons)?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's called MnSlMap.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Well, you can always go to the debug mode.

I think it's playable this way.
hrm is it playable as a vs mode stage in debug mode though?
I have magus's tournament-debug mode hack, but I have no idea how to use debug :p

edit: checked gamefaqs, and it seems the grab the trophies stage freezes after a few seconds, presumably when the trophies start falling

Milun

Smash Ace
That is true. I've been playing around with the stage select, and I can't really find a way to make the icons link to different things. I can move them around, but that accomplishes little.

Steelia

Smash Champion
EDIT: Ok, while I have yet to test them with a DVD, I'm fairly certain the new version of the Big Blue hack is line-free, as the issue was most likely caused by me resizing the smaller cars incorrectly. I have found a way around it (by making the cars fall through the road at the start), and it should work properly now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkp6oKlA2Y - I've updated the link.
...I know this is wayyy off Milun, but I just tested your updated Big Blue-no cars (w/road) today. Works like a charm now, no long odd polygons taking up the screen. Very very nice. (=

On that note, have you gotten around to messing with Mushroom Kingdom I a little more? I'd still love to get a redo of the older version you made with bricks that break and never come back, and were used as platforms for players that spawned in the gaps on the sides of the stage.

edit: checked gamefaqs, and it seems the grab the trophies stage freezes after a few seconds, presumably when the trophies start falling
There's a code on ARcentral that prevents freezing. And I agree, that stage is actually really fun. Zones on the sides are a bit close, and ceiling is very high, but it's not a bad stage at all.

Milun

Smash Ace
Oh man... I feel so awkward. How long has it been? I am shamed. I've been to busy working on... something else Smash related to really do any stages at all.

Hm... well, for starters on my To-Do list, I have to finish that darn MK tutorial I started a year ago (and keep putting off... I know, I'm terrible), THEN, I plan to reveal that Smash thing I was working on.

Now, here's the main reason I stopped, and it's a big one. You all ready for this? Big breath now.......

You remember how when I showed myself versing a computer on my DS stage, the AI kept jumping up and down on the stylus? At first I thought "well this isn't a problem, who uses CPU's anyway".................................................................................... then I chose Ice-Climbers.

That, was the reason I sorta gave up on Mushroom Kingdom, and I am sorry. I still haven't found a way to fix that problem. Sigh.

NOW, on to lighter news. I don't really know how to do that thing you guys do where you actually put the AR codes on the disk itself, but I seem to recall seeing a few which allowed you to hold down Z-Dpad-Right and stuff to make the game load different stages. If said thing can be implemented, then changing the stages boundaries is simple.

Heh... hopefully (and I say hopefully, I'm currently going through driving school and can't really get in the right mindset for hacking) I'll get back to you around February. Sorry you guys.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
http://arcentral.net/ssbm/desc/target1.html
Code:
SSBM v1.00

0A469140 00000048
0447E6BC FF6E0021
0A469140 00000041
0447E6BC FF6E0022
0A469140 00000042
0447E6BC FF6E0023
0A469140 00000044
0447E6BC FF6E0024
0A469140 00000028
0447E6BC FF6E0025
0A469140 00000021
0447E6BC FF6E0026
0A469140 00000022
0447E6BC FF6E0027
0A469140 00000024
0447E6BC FF6E0028
0A469140 00000018
0447E6BC FF6E0029
0A469140 00000011
0447E6BC FF6E002A
0A469140 00000012
0447E6BC FF6E002B
0A469140 00000014
0447E6BC FF6E002C
0A469140 00000808
0447E6BC FF6E002D
0A469140 00000801
0447E6BC FF6E002E
0A469140 00000802
0447E6BC FF6E002F
0A469140 00000804
0447E6BC FF6E0030

[collapse=AR]
48DC-4ZVR-HF2BZ
PMJM-NNZQ-CUFTC
WN3A-WTHE-PJ4EV
P172-HQUC-J7VFV
XVNY-9WUH-NDJ6K
GBAJ-JDVQ-YK4H1
9ZFN-YP5E-VJ6C6
EM36-NYHU-HZH3V
XGV8-F0TF-NXE02
AJAZ-GC09-02N2W
UN79-GPXZ-JMHJQ
NU3B-H33H-QJ94V
6Z6Z-GCDC-U1RAC
1ACM-D6A1-03ZDW
PAJ6-6FU5-3KRWC
3VC0-EZ2V-QME6V
GKN1-WVZ0-ANAEH
2RNJ-R9VB-RP9W2
58QU-QXPC-WACKW
G94Z-HZW8-VNPXF
6MAV-B1YA-WXB21
JWJG-8VC0-23BRZ
JT2H-6KQ0-2Z41K
5XKG-5361-G46KH
UQGP-5Y58-M611Q
V8TH-TDK9-KE2HX
TVZ1-EE9G-0ZNTB
KDXZ-HX6C-6RF4X
CUTX-YH1Y-Z2EF9
64J6-EC67-G1M4Q
8EH0-T533-TCQV3
RNF8-56GC-4YGYZ
00G7-QN23-FGQY8[/collapse]

I'll try and mess around with the code later tonight utilizing the ID list that nube posted. The even-numbered lines match up with the IDs in that list, so I should just be able to do some swapping.

This could be a good temporary fix until we figure out how to change what IDs the stage selects sends you to.

breakpoints y u no work

Milun

Smash Ace
Personally, I'd love it if they found a way to replace one stage with another. I would so replace Icicle Mountain with one of my MK1.

Still, having Target Test and Trophy Tussle and T.T. from Diddy Kong would open up a few more possibilities too.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Milun, if you give me the names of some stages that are easy to edit or good to have on standby, I'll integrate the AR code into the disc files. Currently, I would have to make different files for each set of stages the code includes.

Also, I remember you were looking for crazy stage ideas: flip Battlefield or Yoshi's upside down and make it playable. Under-stage platforms could be awesome.

Milun

Smash Ace
Um... not sure exactly what you mean by that, but I should be honest in that I've never even attempted to hack target test and friends, due to not expecting them to be easily available.

But if you're referring to which stages I've currently hacked which we're easy, then I'll go with the two MK's, and maaaaaybe Great Bay. Those are the few whom I can model hack with relative ease.

Stage idea wise, I'm pretty sure a flipped Battlefield would cause a lot of camping at the bottom. But even if it didn't, there aren't any stages available to me for easy hacking that contain (Ice-Climber friendly) walkthroughs.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Um... not sure exactly what you mean by that, but I should be honest in that I've never even attempted to hack target test and friends, due to not expecting them to be easily available.

But if you're referring to which stages I've currently hacked which we're easy, then I'll go with the two MK's, and maaaaaybe Great Bay. Those are the few whom I can model hack with relative ease.
I was specifically talking about stages that you can't get to normally. I don't know what makes stages easy for you to hack or not, so I was thinking that perhaps some of the target test or trophy tussle stages could be good for you. You're really the only one hacking stages, so what do you want in the alternate selection?

Stage idea wise, I'm pretty sure a flipped Battlefield would cause a lot of camping at the bottom. But even if it didn't, there aren't any stages available to me for easy hacking that contain (Ice-Climber friendly) walkthroughs.
Do the stages really need to be balanced though? I think it's worth making crazy stages just to mess around with them, even if they aren't competitively viable and Nana becomes useless.

Milun

Smash Ace
Well, I'm a bit of a perfectionist. If a character can't play on a stage, I can't live with myself afterwards...

Now, in terms of stages I don't get normally, I though about it, and are the Trophy Tussle stages really that good for hacking? They're just floors, and IF I could model hack them, you'd all just play on deformed Goombas. That's no fun.

However, I do have an idea that could make for a really great stage, and Target Test is the only place where most of those components lie. If possible, Bowser's and Marth's Target tests in particular would be the perfect candidates for this stage, though Bowser's lacks one key feature, as does Marth's. I'd say go with Bowser. Also worth noting are Falcon, Game & Watch, Mewtwo, Pichu, Zelda and Young Link's stages, but I only really need Bowser. But aside from this one stage idea, I'm drawing up blanks for what to use the others for.

It would be pretty neat if you could get them to work. I'm pretty sure I'd find a way to move the targets out of the field of view.

EDIT: Don't get your hopes up. I just spent 3 hours working on Bowsers stage, and couldn't achieve the most basic of stage edits.

iffy525

Smash Apprentice
Kind-of related; I didn't want to make a new thread.

Is there any way to make a stage not select-able? My noob friends like to pick Hyrule sometimes lol.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Oyyy, Milun, just to let you know... on the Green Greens stage, there's a single block floating in the sky, somewhere above the left platform. You can see it in Debug Mode. It's kinda funny, as soon as someone hits it and gets rid of it, it's gone for the rest of the match... so... I don't know if this was intentional or not. :p

Milun

Smash Ace
Heh. Find out something new about my stages every day. The problem is due to me not being able to move the blocks, but being able to make them have more distance. The problem was, one of the blocks refused to move horizontally, so I just maxed out its y-stretch. Guess which block that was. I'll have to take a look at it letter.

Now, in other news, my friend and I were playing the worst game in the world: Brawl, and decided to make a custom stage. We actually ended up creating something nice, so I decided to port it over to Melee. I present to you, Evans Elevator:

Now, what is so special about this stage? Well, the hole in the middle of the stage has no edges. That's right, it's a Pinball Machine, and the Lift is your emergency savior (or Ball saver). The block at the top is for bouncing and teching (that how you spell it?), whichever you prefer.

Now, obviously this stage isn't done. For one I haven't (and kinda don't plan to) texture it, but for the other, I'm going to try something a little different. Before releasing this stage to the majority, I want to see what you guys think of the idea. Fore example: Should I get rid of the lift in the middle (can't get the darn thing to respawn slower), or what have you. Here's the current version; enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?marbjmcm9ef69u9

EDIT: Upon further testing, it is revealed the bumper is a bit... well dodgy. If you send the enemy at it vertically, they will just slide. They can only tech if they're going at horizontal angles. This is likely due to the bumper being created out of wall tiles. I am not sure how to fix this as of yet...

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'll have to make sure to try that one out later, that certainly looks interesting. o.0

ah! I also managed to find a copy of that really old MKI stage I'd been asking about... here. The only problem is it's kindof an older version, the spawn points for 2 of the players are in the gaps of the stage, when they should be on the blocks on the leftmost/rightmost parts of the stage. Do you think you could tinker with it so those points are moved again ? Hope that's not too much trouble. Really enjoy the stage, but I blame the nostalgia of it. :p

Still gonna test the pinball one, of course, when I've got a moment to get another SSBM up and running.

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Oyyy, Milun, just to let you know... on the Green Greens stage, there's a single block floating in the sky, somewhere above the left platform. You can see it in Debug Mode. It's kinda funny, as soon as someone hits it and gets rid of it, it's gone for the rest of the match... so... I don't know if this was intentional or not. :p
There is also a block that is inside the stage around the middle, but it is too high up so anyone that does a move that has a fairly big down hitbox will hit it. Most of the time this just causes you to miss an L cancel because you hit the block but sometimes it is a bomb block and you die o_O

Milun

Smash Ace
Ok, here's my to do list:

#1 - Fix Steelias Stage
#2 - Completely redo that stupid Green Greens Stage.
#3 - Provide an alternative Green Greens (you'll see).

Here's hoping the Pinball one doesn't have issues like that.

Top Bottom