• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've grown tired of the "Melee is better, Brawl sucks, Melee vs Brawl" garbage.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Link to original post: [drupal=3111]I'be grown tired of the "Melee is better, Brawl sucks, Melee vs Brawl" garbage.[/drupal]

If people think of this as a Brawl vs Melee thread close this, but I feel this needs to be said. This is something that has been ticking me off recently and I need to get it off my chest.

Guys, I respect Melee and many of it's community member but there are somethings about it that need to pointed out so people can stop with the splitting the community BS that is occurring as a result from it.

1. Stop with the stupid "Brawl sucks" posts everywhere.

I see members posting in the MK debate, general, and other places on this forum constantly trying to shove down people's throats that Brawl sucks.

No one cares.

That debate way back when people were debating which game was better did nothing but split this community in half. Then even when that died down people continued to debate how much Brawl sucked and how people should play Melee.

You if want to debate a useless issue be my guest, but it gets you no where and will do nothing but split the community.

Some people like myself enjoy playing Brawl for whatever reasons we do, stop shoving an old debate we don't care about down our throats. Which brings me to my next point.

2. Enough, "Play Melee"

This recruitment force that people seem to people trying to do recently is fine if people tried doing it in a respectable manor.

Instead people seem to think bringing this up at useless times like when people make a, "I'm quitting" thread. This is not something to bring up necessarily when someone is quitting a game giving them some time to think about it is the best solution for them to come up with what they want to do with their life. Then when people post, "Play Melee it will live out the dying Brawl." Then this leads into more debate right back into Melee vs Brawl crap that splits this community apart.

Be respectful and ask people to try it without going out of your way to bash the game they like to play.

3. Brawl is dying.

1. Prove it.
2. Attendance goes up and down depending on the area. My region of WI/IL had a much larger turnout compared to any of the past tournaments we have had recently.

4. My thoughts on this.

Debating which game is better is a stupid and useless debate. The community doesn't need to be split in half from something as stupid as that.

The elitist Melee goers need to stop hyping their game like it's Jesus, and masses in the Brawl community should grow up when it comes to trying to talk about either game. We don't need to act juvenile about this when this is part of the reason smash was shunned upon by Evo.

I like Brawl more, but I still enjoy Melee but part of the reason I have trouble getting back into the game is the fact most Melee goers seem to do nothing but tell me how much they hate Brawl and how much it sucks. This is a huge turn off and why I haven't tried to get back into Melee as of late.

I'm asking the community to be more respectful of each other when it comes to which games people like to play and trying to help others play a game in a way that doesn't turn into a major turnoff.

I'm not trying to single out Melee with this whole Blog, but it seems like to me that the elitist melee goers are the ones that stick out to being part of the problem.

Again forgive me if this is turns into a Brawl vs Melee or if this isn't a blog I should be making, but I really felt like I needed to say this.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
There are some things which are better vented out of your system than bottled up for a long time where they end up doing harm. I think in your case, this is one of those things better spoken than not.

Good on you. :)

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
You say you're not trying to single out Melee players, but that's because you're bias. Brawl players are gung-ho Brawl just as much as Melee players. You just don't look for it as much because you, yourself, are a Brawl player.

But on a more related note, I don't like the Brawl Vs. Melee debate either, but there's not a whole lot we can do about it. I'll stick to playing Melee and let you play Brawl. Live and let live. That makes sense, right? Trolls will continue to be trolls no matter what we try to do. And that's exactly what they are--trying to spark an argument out of legit players. We'll always have our own opinions, and some people just feel it's their duty to impose them upon everyone else in the forums. The best thing to do is just to ignore that person, and then they'll feel pretty stupid when no one responds to their post saying, "liek hai barlw is goodr then maylay," or "u shud play meleeee bc its fastr n tayks moar skil."

A little bit of cold shoulder goes a long way.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'd like to preface this response with:

The internet is not serious business and you should feel bad for assuming everything in the world is serious.

If people think of this as a Brawl vs Melee thread close this, but I feel this needs to be said. This is something that has been ticking me off recently and I need to get it off my chest.

Guys, I respect Melee and many of it's community member but there are somethings about it that need to pointed out so people can stop with the splitting the community BS that is occurring as a result from it.
I don't lurk the Smash forums much anymore save for the Smash Workshop, but didn't this issue end a year and a half ago?

1. Stop with the stupid "Brawl sucks" posts everywhere.
At least 75% of the time when I see someone saying "Brawl sucks", it's not this "OMG YOU SHOULD AGREE WITH ME OR GTFO" garbage you think it is. It's mostly just people stating their opinion and being facetious for the hell of it.

2. Enough, "Play Melee"
OH MY GOD

It's a meme. It's a freaking meme. Did everyone miss this blog? The next time I hear a Brawl player complaining about this, I'm going to scream.

Lawl at you thinking it's a "recruitment force", seriously. I guess people who are RickRolling are trying to recruit people to be Rick Astley groupies! *gasp*

(And if you're also talking about people telling other people to try Melee when they say they're quitting Brawl, that's not a recruitment force, that's a friendly suggestion. No one's forcing them to do anything, they're just suggesting that they might like Melee if they're quitting Brawl.)

3. Brawl is dying.
I haven't seen any of this so I can't really comment on it.

4. My thoughts on this.
It would kind of help the maturity level of the community and prevent stupid Melee vs. Brawl debates if people would stop taking everything so seriously.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You say you're not trying to single out Melee players, but that's because you're bias. Brawl players are gung-ho Brawl just as much as Melee players. You just don't look for it as much because you, yourself, are a Brawl player.
I'm not going to deny I have some bias. So your probably right on this.

But on a more related note, I don't like the Brawl Vs. Melee debate either, but there's not a whole lot we can do about it. I'll stick to playing Melee and let you play Brawl. Live and let live. That makes sense, right? Trolls will continue to be trolls no matter what we try to do. And that's exactly what they are--trying to spark an argument out of legit players. We'll always have our own opinions, and some people just feel it's their duty to impose them upon everyone else in the forums. The best thing to do is just to ignore that person, and then they'll feel pretty stupid when no one responds to their post saying, "liek hai barlw is goodr then maylay," or "u shud play meleeee bc its fastr n tayks moar skil."
The bolded is exactly what I want to happen. I'm even fine with playing Melee since it's still a fun game. I just can't get into it when half the players won't stop bringing this topic up.

Either way, when I get better self control on something like this I'll try getting back into Melee a bit.

The internet is not serious business and you should feel bad for assuming everything in the world is serious.
Excuse me? Not taking what people say somewhat seriously, depending on the situation, leads into people more likely to spam and troll, because they don't care since it they feel there is nothing serious about what is said.

I don't lurk the Smash forums much anymore save for the Smash Workshop, but didn't this issue end a year and a half ago?

At least 75% of the time when I see someone saying "Brawl sucks", it's not this "OMG YOU SHOULD AGREE WITH ME OR GTFO" garbage you think it is. It's mostly just people stating their opinion and being facetious for the hell of it.
People keep bringing the topic up, even sometimes doing it with Brawl+, Balanced Brawl, etc.

And I'm dealing with the bigger than 25% that are being serious about this, sue me.

OH MY GOD

It's a meme. It's a freaking meme. Did everyone miss this blog? The next time I hear a Brawl player complaining about this, I'm going to scream.

Lawl at you thinking it's a "recruitment force", seriously. I guess people who are RickRolling are trying to recruit people to be Rick Astley groupies! *gasp*
And look how some people posted in that.

And the meme is dumb, like most meme's are.

(And if you're also talking about people telling other people to try Melee when they say they're quitting Brawl, that's not a recruitment force, that's a friendly suggestion. No one's forcing them to do anything, they're just suggesting that they might like Melee if they're quitting Brawl.)
While the recruitment is more so at people trying to get people to drop Brawl for Melee, I suppose I shouldn't have directed that at people quitting, since it seems silly now that I look back at that.

I haven't seen any of this so I can't really comment on it.
People have been saying this near the end of those Melee vs Brawl threads.

It would kind of help the maturity level of the community and prevent stupid Melee vs. Brawl debates if people would stop taking everything so seriously.
And not taking stuff even remotely seriously leads into bad consequences. Yes, some of it isn't serious business.

K. not what I'm talking about, I'm referring to those who don't drop the **** topic.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Not to be rude, but threads speaking on the matter only brings up the debate. I've been on SWF for two years, and I've only been through that conflict for the first year. I hear almost nothing about Melee vs. Brawl anymore, but one thing does stand, and that is "Melee is an old game, and Brawl is a newer one". That doesn't say which one is better. We all like the games in a different way, and one's opinion of them should not affect you. Besides, most of the people still arguing about it are trolls anyway.

john!

Smash Hero
Sorry if I upsetted you in that one thread (savior's)... the reason I and many others suggested Melee was because the OP specifically mentioned Brawl and how he disliked the mechanics of the game. So naturally we thought he would enjoy Melee more.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Sorry if I upsetted you in that one thread (savior's)... the reason I and many others suggested Melee was because the OP specifically mentioned Brawl and how he disliked the mechanics of the game. So naturally we thought he would enjoy Melee more.
You weren't the one who sparked this.

This is more so from something else that happened over the weekend that sparked me to make this thread.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
This kind of debate isn't exclusive to Smash; you see it in other communities as well (Soul Calibur 2 vs. 3 and BlazBlue vs. Guilty Gear come to mind). It happens every time a community is given a choice.

I think the reason this happens is that a community can only effectively support one game at a time. Despite what we may think, even a community as big as Smash can't split its efforts between two games, because there's more to supporting a game than how many people turn out to tournaments.

So there is more at stake in this argument than personal preference, and there are legitimate arguments to be made on both sides. Maybe it could be conducted in a more constructive way, but I don't think that both games can co-exist because it's difficult, if not impossible for one community to support two games. A choice has to be made, either explicitly or implictly. And that's where the argument comes in.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I don't really view the collection of Smash players as a community. I view Melee and Brawl as having their own separate, yet connected communities. For example, in Socal, I doubt most Brawl players would consider themselves to be part of the same community as the Melee players here and visa versa, because neither group interacts with the other one much, except for the few people who play both competitively.

rhan

Smash Hero
Deal with it.

It's almost like the religious debate. It's going to happen no matter what.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

Firus wins the thread. People are not going to the character boards to troll the **** out of you, Melee vs Brawl threads aren't even allowed, you can't take away all free speech dude. If someone wants to say Brawl sucks and they aren't like, spamming in some bull**** matter, get over it.

sirkibble2

Smash Rookie
As often as this debate goes on, there was blog like this to comment on it which does not let the debate die as has been pointed out several times for a few years.

What seems to be the case that I'm seeing now is that Melee players are trying to tell Brawl players that the game sucks so that Brawl players can leave Brawl and play Melee and Melee players get more competition. Whereas Brawl players get worked up from Melee players trying to swoon them from their game and thus defend their stance as to why Brawl is okay so that they can keep their players.

Solution: Just play the game you like to play.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
what about smash 64? lol jk

good point though. just play the game you like better, simple as that. i pretty much play melee and brawl equally now. they are both great games, but in different ways.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
What seems to be the case that I'm seeing now is that Melee players are trying to tell Brawl players that the game sucks so that Brawl players can leave Brawl and play Melee and Melee players get more competition. Whereas Brawl players get worked up from Melee players trying to swoon them from their game and thus defend their stance as to why Brawl is okay so that they can keep their players.

Solution: Just play the game you like to play.
I really don't notice this attempt at assimilation by Melee players that everyone seems to be noticing...I wouldn't even think telling someone "This game you like sucks" would really work at all logically -- if someone told me right now that Super Metroid sucks, I would get defensive, not actually start to believe them.

I do notice that some Brawl players tend to get pretty worked up about Melee players saying anything at all against Brawl...I've seen more than one blog with this kind of topic (i.e. Melee players are obnoxious and trying to get people to convert, leave the debate alone), and I recall seeing a little bit of an outrage, at least for a while, at people calling unhacked Brawl "vBrawl" for specificity.

I ultimately don't care either way, though. If I want to play a game flat-out, I'll play Melee. But Brawl has afforded me many an enjoying experience from hacking it and from enjoying the hacks themselves. Brawl as it was intended to be played bores me, but its limitless hacking possibilities make it incredibly enjoyable for me. To be honest, I actually haven't played Melee in quite some time now, and I've played Brawl quite a bit recently, though all of those times, it's been hacked Brawl. (Not just Brawl+, textures/music/movesets/etc. are what really make it enjoyable for me.)

I'll still say "Brawl sucks" from time to time, but it's really just meant as a joke. Seriously, just play whatever game you want to play however you want to play it.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
It's a meme, and memes aren't supposed to be funny, they have to be forced down your throat and burn your soul once inside.

In conclusion; this blog is bad and you should feel bad.

jivegamer

Smash Cadet
Both are great games. Absolutely nothing to split hairs about. If you don't like one, go play the other.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Brawl makes Melee players bitter, simple as that. It's just bad imo.
If people don't like the game it's fine, I'm just sick of people trying to forcing those comments down my throat.

It's a meme, and memes aren't supposed to be funny, they have to be forced down your throat and burn your soul once inside.

In conclusion; this blog is bad and you should feel bad.
I'll pretend to care.

You realize people don't just say it's bad because they don't like it, right?
I don't see why you would hate something if you didn't like it.

Oracle

Smash Master
The community got over the whole "Brawl sucks and we hate all brawl players" a while ago. No one is really that elitist about it anymore (especially since Cinder left lol).

I started the play melee meme accidentally :3 hahaha

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
The community got over the whole "Brawl sucks and we hate all brawl players" a while ago. No one is really that elitist about it anymore (especially since Cinder left lol).

I started the play melee meme accidentally :3 hahaha
Believe me the ignorance is still alive.

If ICG honestly hit some1 for saying "Brawl>Melee" my reports on certain members on here are gonna increase.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I don't see why you would hate something if you didn't like it.
I'm capable of not liking a band and still being able to say I don't believe they suck, they're just not my tastes. Same way I don't like Mario games but I don't think they're poorly designed. Brawl is poorly designed, brawl is just low quality as a competitive fighter period.

Edit-@CRASHIC-Wow. Just wow.

jivegamer

Smash Cadet
I understand that people are dissatisfied with the technical aspects (or lack thereof) of Brawl. I'll admit, playing Melee after long Brawl sessions can be like a breath of fresh air. Brawl is what it is though, and only concentrated hacking efforts can change that fact ;)

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Melee had a lot of options and quite a few viable top tier characters, it's shown it has the depth needed to last as long as Street Fighter, how the **** is it bad at a competitive standard? Just because it was good on accident doesn't change that fact that it's good.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You do realize BOTH games are bad when put at a competitive standard, right?
Because not a traditional fighter = bad competitively, obviously.

If ICG honestly hit some1 for saying "Brawl>Melee" my reports on certain members on here are gonna increase.
Why is it that people can't read?

INSANE CARZY GUY said:
i've heard noobs in real life telling me about how melee is easier than brawl and they had the same game mechicals. I really punched that B**** he didn't know anything about both games.
If you want to challenge him punching someone for saying that Melee is easier than Brawl and that their mechanics are the same, or him punching someone at all on such a subject, feel free, but at least know what people say before you not only attack the person who said it, but decide to say that an entire community is going to suddenly start to become ignorant and elitist because of one person.

Seriously, do you realize how flawed your logic is?

--------------

This
is
why
Melee
vs.
Brawl
is
so
vicious.

There's at least one person on each side who is CONVINCED that the other side is totally evil and horrible and acts as if they've been abused. And in the act of becoming a victim, they attack the other side who proceeds to fight back and it becomes a never-ending war of that crap until the thread gets locked.

Not that anyone learns anything, everyone comes out of the argument blaming the other person.

The world is not out to get you. And if there are idiots who are actually telling you that the game you're playing sucks and you shouldn't be playing it they are CLEARLY a moron and why you're taking them seriously I have no idea.

Oracle

Smash Master
NO! I will not become engrossed in the ensuing debate! Not after last time... *looks thoughtfully into distance*

I think it's time to close this here thread. Anyone else?
Play Melee

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm capable of not liking a band and still being able to say I don't believe they suck, they're just not my tastes. Same way I don't like Mario games but I don't think they're poorly designed. Brawl is poorly designed, brawl is just low quality as a competitive fighter period.

Edit-@CRASHIC-Wow. Just wow.
Well whatever you think I guess.

This
is
why
Melee
vs.
Brawl
is
so
vicious.

There's at least one person on each side who is CONVINCED that the other side is totally evil and horrible and acts as if they've been abused. And in the act of becoming a victim, they attack the other side who proceeds to fight back and it becomes a never-ending war of that crap until the thread gets locked.

Not that anyone learns anything, everyone comes out of the argument blaming the other person.

The world is not out to get you. And if there are idiots who are actually telling you that the game you're playing sucks and you shouldn't be playing it they are CLEARLY a moron and why you're taking them seriously I have no idea.
I don't think either side is evil, I just dislike the extremest attitude on both sides. I see it more from the Melee crowd which is why my blog was more directed at the extremists on that side since they are more active on making themselves known.

There are people on the Brawl side saying stuff about Melee they know nothing about, wavedashing stupid, Fox is broken, etc. Just like their are people on the Melee side saying that Brawl is all camping, easy to play, etc.

This blog was more so me venting off of posting in the General Brawl section that never goes awayand I was getting sick of it.

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
Both games are fun. Play them whatever way is most enjoyable for you. Whether or not either game is more "competitively viable" than the other is irrelevant. End of discussion.

God. Why don't people realize that Super Smash Bros in all its forms is a game. A ****ing GAME. If you don't enjoy it, put it down and go do something else instead of trying to convince others of your opinion.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Both games are fun. Play them whatever way is most enjoyable for you. Whether or not either game is more "competitively viable" than the other is irrelevant. End of discussion.

God. Why don't people realize that Super Smash Bros in all its forms is a game. A ****ing GAME. If you don't enjoy it, put it down and go do something else instead of trying to convince others of your opinion.
That's fine.

I'm still gonna make a venting blog if it irritates me enough.

Also I LOL'd at Grunt's parody of my blog.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I don't think either side is evil, I just dislike the extremest attitude on both sides.
I didn't necessarily say you did, although I do believe that this blog takes the wrong approach if you had any intention of trying to HELP the Melee vs. Brawl debates.

As someone who has been a regular in the User Blogs since they first came about, I've seen more than a handful of anti-Melee vs. Brawl blogs, all of which have crashed and burned. While people may have good intentions, they may want to stop Melee vs. Brawl, by creating threads/blogs like this you are perpetuating the argument. I had forgotten this junk even existed, and all of a sudden I'm pulled back into it again. These types of threads create more Melee vs. Brawl, they don't in any way reduce it.

Now, again, I'm sure you didn't have ill intentions here, I'm just telling you what happens.

It also doesn't help that, even though you acknowledge that Melee gets trolled too, your entire blog is clearly directed at the Melee community -- of course, that's what you end up seeing most often, but the blog comes off as putting blame on the Melee community.

I vote that we just leave it at "Play what you want to play", because Melee vs. Brawl is one of those things which I think is irreconcilable through discussion.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I didn't necessarily say you did, although I do believe that this blog takes the wrong approach if you had any intention of trying to HELP the Melee vs. Brawl debates.

As someone who has been a regular in the User Blogs since they first came about, I've seen more than a handful of anti-Melee vs. Brawl blogs, all of which have crashed and burned. While people may have good intentions, they may want to stop Melee vs. Brawl, by creating threads/blogs like this you are perpetuating the argument. I had forgotten this junk even existed, and all of a sudden I'm pulled back into it again. These types of threads create more Melee vs. Brawl, they don't in any way reduce it.

Now, again, I'm sure you didn't have ill intentions here, I'm just telling you what happens.

It also doesn't help that, even though you acknowledge that Melee gets trolled too, your entire blog is clearly directed at the Melee community -- of course, that's what you end up seeing most often, but the blog comes off as putting blame on the Melee community.

I vote that we just leave it at "Play what you want to play", because Melee vs. Brawl is one of those things which I think is irreconcilable through discussion.
It was less about helping the debate and more so about getting stuff off my chest, I felt better posting it since keeping it bottled up just seems like a terrible idea to myself.

I think I'll just stick to the bolded, unless someone tries to force the debate on me.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
What I find most interesting about this is not the debate itself, or which game is better, but rather why people even care anymore.

That is a very interesting question.

Braw***s and Melee***s, why do you care so much? Moreso directed at Melee players through because they have some vendetta like V.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Because people have an incessant need to be agreed with and when someone disagrees with them they'll raise hell until they get their way.

I'm not joking either, I seriously think that it's human nature for people to think that. Yet another reason why I've lost all hope for the human race.

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
That's fine.

I'm still gonna make a venting blog if it irritates me enough.

Also I LOL'd at Grunt's parody of my blog.
It wasn't really directed at you, moreso the community as a whole.

But anyway, I think it's about time this got locked. I can't think of anything somebody's already said about the subject at hand.

Lol @ Skler. Those posts are the only reason I ever read these.

Top Bottom