• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur Tactical Discussion

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Honestly, guys. Ivy can't land an upsmash every time, so despite it being so powerful, some people are gonna see it. You're better off using it sparringly.

Lucas has the better upsmash because of it's crazy range.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Honestly, guys. Ivy can't land an upsmash every time, so despite it being so powerful, some people are gonna see it. You're better off using it sparringly.

Of course Ivy can't land an Up Smash often. The point I was leaning towards is that a huge amount of Pokemon Trainer Mains. Some of them very skilled, never ever Up Smash at all. Such a Powerful move should not go to waste. Being situational and tough to land it shouldn't be spammed either but ignoring it altogether is madness.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
in y'alls opinion, how good is it to over all spam nair? I've been doing is as my prime source of damage, of course I do follow up with something, like ftilt or up titlt or something good like that, I also spam razor leaf. I really dont know If I'm doing something wrong but all I can say is, that it helped me get my first top 10 placing at the last tourny I went to, so I guess what I'm doing works.

The only thing I know I have to watch is my spacing so I dont use it a little too far and get punished.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Of course Ivy can't land an Up Smash often. The point I was leaning towards is that a huge amount of Pokemon Trainer Mains. Some of them very skilled, never ever Up Smash at all. Such a Powerful move should not go to waste. Being situational and tough to land it shouldn't be spammed either but ignoring it altogether is madness.
My apoligies, it just seemed like such a big deal is being made about having a powerful upsmash, that makes up for having a slightly gimpable recovery.

If you don't use it often, the other player won't suspect it, and probably fall into the upsmash trap. Never use it to damage though, guys. Only use it past 60%.

BLoo524

Smash Rookie
after reading many of the pt tactic threads, i felt i've significantly gotten better but i still have yet to play a really good pt, no one uses him in my area or online, so i would like to brawl someone

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
after reading many of the pt tactic threads, i felt i've significantly gotten better but i still have yet to play a really good pt, no one uses him in my area or online, so i would like to brawl someone
I guess I'll play you if you'd like. I guarantee we live far away, so wi-fi will have to do.
What's your FC, feel free to test out the techniques you've learned.

BLoo524

Smash Rookie
I guess I'll play you if you'd like. I guarantee we live far away, so wi-fi will have to do.
What's your FC, feel free to test out the techniques you've learned.
okay my code is 1332 7377 7852, and i live in homestead, FL so lag should be minimal

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Shouldnt this go in the, Brawl Tactical Discussion
No, it shouldn't. Tactical discussion is mainly for any Brawl-related TACTICS. And by that, I mean everything universal, nothing character specific. This is made specifically to discuss common playstyles of Ivysaur.

Feel free to recreate this thread there, but it'll just be spam, and we'll get it locked.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
okay my code is 1332 7377 7852, and i live in homestead, FL so lag should be minimal
Cool, you have mine, right? I'll get on right now, and add your's.
I'll host, if that's alright.

Bleh, double post! My bad. :(
I assumed that somebody would post before me.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yup, I sure do. A pretty lousy one at that.

Good games so far, my Ness is trash online. And lag killed me maybe 4 times, lol.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Its why you need to show Lucas and Capatain Falcon some love.

Anywho,Ivysaur F tilt is a great move against Ice climbers.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Heha, these are pretty fun. I picked random the entire time, so I should've figured I'd get beaten. :laugh:

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
in y'alls opinion, how good is it to over all spam nair? I've been doing is as my prime source of damage, of course I do follow up with something, like ftilt or up titlt or something good like that, I also spam razor leaf. I really dont know If I'm doing something wrong but all I can say is, that it helped me get my first top 10 placing at the last tourny I went to, so I guess what I'm doing works.

The only thing I know I have to watch is my spacing so I dont use it a little too far and get punished.
Well. Neutal Air is very very good, and then some. Good damage, good follow ups, just generally good. If you're ever gonna spam a move it's a decent enough choice. Just remember it should be the Means not the Objective. What I mean by this is your objective should be to win. And use Neutral Air because of this. Your objective should never be to Neutral Air. Using Neutral Air a lot in fights is not too much of a problem. Running across to the opponent and Short Hop Air Dodging into them repeatedly to Neutral Air is. Go for every opportunity to Neutral Air you see if you like, don't go out of your way to make an opportunity to Neutral Air. If you're out of it's range use a longer ranged move. Don't try to recklessly approach when you have better options.

Long story short you can be using Neutral Air a lot if you like but be careful not to go for it when it isn't the best option. It like all moves has times when it will and won't work and you need to recognise them to use it.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Alright, I draw the line there. It's not as fun any more when your entire game revolves are grabs. :(
Good games, I'm really not that good, lol.

BLoo524

Smash Rookie
well fun matches, im guessing you chose random the whole time, who is your main?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
well fun matches, im guessing you chose random the whole time, who is your main?
My main would have to be Mario or Ness, but they're terrible online. I die early with Ness because of that slight lag, and Mario's a bad matchup against PT.

Although I think most of it was pure skill on your part.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

If Lucas misses, he's just asking to get hit.

Ivysaur doesn't have nearly as much cooldown time.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace

Unlike Ivysaur's Usmash though, You can DI Lucas's Upsmash on the final hit and literally spike yourself down on the ground, so you won't KO at all.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Unlike Ivysaur's Usmash though, You can DI Lucas's Upsmash on the final hit and literally spike yourself down on the ground, so you won't KO at all.
I've seen a video of this before, but there's really no guarantee you can pull it off every time.

And you could either be shieldgrabbed, PK Fire, or dsmashed after.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
I thought it was unreliable since the timing was so ridiculous?
Technically so is the timing on Sheik's DACUS but that's very possible to do on the fly.

And personally, I rather get grabbed or PK fired than Usmashed since Usmash can kill, Pk Fire and Lucas's grabs cannot. Especially at the midpercents were Usmash can KO on the borderline of the blastline. And I think the opponent can recover before Lucas can recover from the Usmash and start up on the Dsmash, so I doubt that's really a problem.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Lucas has nice hair.
Looks like a junior Elvis. :lucas:

The main problem you run into as Ivysaur is the PKT, since it can do a nice job at gimping Ivy. Does Razor Leaf have enough priority to trade with PK Thunder? If it does, that's your only option. But then he might edgehog because you waste taking out the PKT...

zeta

Smash Journeyman
if you turn around i think that bair actually will cancel pkt i'm pretty sure it cancels ness's so i would assume the same for lucas

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
No, that's not true. If you get hit by Ness's PKT, it actually sends you upwards, and stops dead in it's tracks, which would be helpful. Lucas's sends you straight back and goes right through you. I don't think it's a smart idea to start off with Ivysaur in this matchup.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
are you talking about the actual projectile or after lucas hits himself with it?

edit: if you are talking about the projectile ivy's bair and nair both cancel it out.

doulbe edit: can't lucas be smashed out of his thunder slide, so if you see it coming fsmash it?

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
are you talking about the actual projectile or after lucas hits himself with it?

edit: if you are talking about the projectile ivy's bair and nair both cancel it out.

doulbe edit: can't lucas be smashed out of his thunder slide, so if you see it coming fsmash it?
Better yet for a safer bet I think you can Jab combo Lucas out of PKT2.

Miles.

Smash Champion
PK Thunder ***** most people of level.

It is a lot of trouble for Ivy.

Ivy's best bet it to just try and tether quickly.

Top Bottom