• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur Tactical Discussion

Miles.

Smash Champion
me and AD in doubles with dub Ivy did Bulletseed > Up Airs all day.

Our "combo" is Bulletseed to a grounded Vinewhip. Its a perfect setup for sweet spotted vine whip.

Too Good.

When he is Ivy and Bulletseeding >I rocksmash the bulletseed victim.

too good.

pt is too ****.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
When you Nair spike Wario into the floor, is the lag enough to do it continuously? He seems to do this really long flinch, but I'm not sure if he can do anything about it.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I got it like three times in a row in friendlies but then I didn't short-hop rising Nair and they got out. I didn't really note the percent.

I'll take it to training mode when I have some free time.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Does Ivysaur have any char specific ATs? What do you do in teams (with a bad diddy)? and how do you control spacing, what do you do in a matchup against a character with a better projectile? How often do you use Up-B as an attack? How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Thanks in advance for responding to my many questions, I'll be checking here most every second.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
don't be afraid to get up close and in your face to people as ivysaur, you have nair, ftilt, dtilt, bullet seed, UPSMASH etc.

you got this

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Does Ivysaur have any char specific ATs? What do you do in teams (with a bad diddy)? and how do you control spacing, what do you do in a matchup against a character with a better projectile? How often do you use Up-B as an attack? How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Thanks in advance for responding to my many questions, I'll be checking here most every second.
Not in particular. Instant tether isn't Ivy specific I don't think.

Dunno I am inexperienced in teams. Pass.

Back air, Forward Tilt, Back air, Forward Smash, Back air, Razor Leaf, Back air and Back air.

Don't be afraid Ivy is pretty good up close, awesome spacing tools but you don't have to rely on them if it's not the best option.

Usually after Throws Downthrow to Up B is good at low percents and some opponents who know the ridiculous strength of Up Air fear it and do their best to move to the side Up B can lead to a nice surprise here.. Or to stage spike if someone trys to edgehog Ivy and decides to hold onto the ledge after their invincibility frames have run dry thinkin they can take a hit in exchange for a stock.

Awoodchuckwouldchuckasmuchwoodasawoodchuckcouldchuckifawoodchuckcouldchuckwood.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I got it like three times in a row in friendlies but then I didn't short-hop rising Nair and they got out. I didn't really note the percent.

I'll take it to training mode when I have some free time.
I'm pretty sure it's not particularly long; at least, not any longer than any other character if they don't fall over. You should still check, in order to hopefully find Wario players like me another cursed headache.

ALSO

I like N-Air; let's talk about N-Air.

This is my favorite move now. I can consistently get the spike now, and I can have it combo into so many things. It also makes really nice shield pressure if you make sure you land behind the opponent.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I take this animation to be Wario's equivalent to this weird animation Charizard does when he gets Nair spiked into the ground, which is a large window to be taken advantage of.

I don't even land behind them sometimes, I just have my back turned to them and SH (No fast-fall) Nair the top left "corner" of their shield, I start moving away from them during the end of the attack, then second jump away and do my Bair into them. And then I can use Nair or Bair again to cover my landing, if nessesary.

I agree, Nair is probably Ivysaur's best attack.

Oh, and Nair spike on Final Destination into Bair stage spike is funny.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
The n-air spike took me a sec to learn but Im all sure you saw my write up on it, now when I nail the n-air spike forcing people to Up-B I sweetspot the d-air so that it spikes again leaving my opponent anything but thrilled over the fact they got double spiked lol. But yea in short Ivy's n-air is just overall one of the best moves Ivy has to offer

SuorGenoveffa

Smash Apprentice
I definitely need to work on Ivysaur, so I was wondering a few things:

- How do you people use dair and dsmash? I only seem to find EXTREMELY situational moments for those moves.
- Is there any difference between normal fsmash and angled fsmash?
- I still have not understood how to always cancel fair's lag properly, any tips?
- Would you please suggest me a couple of GREAT Ivysaurs to watch on vid?
- Am I the only one who still gets fooled by Ivysaur's "fake" grab range from time to time? :urg:

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
I definitely need to work on Ivysaur, so I was wondering a few things:

- How do you people use dair and dsmash? I only seem to find EXTREMELY situational moments for those moves.
- Is there any difference between normal fsmash and angled fsmash?
- I still have not understood how to always cancel fair's lag properly, any tips?
- Would you please suggest me a couple of GREAT Ivysaurs to watch on vid?
- Am I the only one who still gets fooled by Ivysaur's "fake" grab range from time to time? :urg:
1. EXTREMELY situational pretty much sums it up yeah.
2. Angle of Knockback is the main one, as well as angled up might hit an aerial character the normal one would miss sometimes. Not much difference.
3. Not really a specific trick, just practice the timing? I dunno.
4. Pants or yostuffstank? They're the only people who favour/are good with Ivysaur with videos up I can think of.
5. *No comment* >.<

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
The only use for d-smash that I can think of is tech chasing. As for down-air, Pokemaster says it is good for stopping your opponent when he/she is below you; the hitbox is huge pretty much. Offstage, even footstooling your opponent is safer than using d-air. Now that I think of it, d-air may also be used for momentum canceling; it is not Ivy's fastest aerial overall, but it does cancel out some momentum.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Well, dair may give you a hand in preventing gimping, because it stops some momentum and messes with your oponents timing to edgehog, but its not taht reliable

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice
Curious: When using Bullet Seed when your opponent is next to you the vacuum hit will pull them up into the attack, and there are times when they will go right past it. Does anyone know why certain times your opponent will get caught and other times he'll just fling past by?

Caasi11

Smash Cadet
Well, I could only guess, but I'm pretty sure that its a combination of weight, lag, and DI. If your opponent is too light, the "pull" will move them into position farther and faster, which is bad considering that the time it takes to go from the "pull" stage to the "stream" stage takes a few frames. Since there's no stream to stop your opponent, he'll just go flying from the knockback. However, you opponent could just happen to be pushing the control stick as you activate the "pull", they'll accidentally DI out of the attack.

However, I've noticed that the "pull" is slightly (correct me if I'm wrong) weaker if your opponent is closer to Ivy; meaning that the "pull" will have less knockback and will actually set up Bullet Seed properly. That's my guess of course. ;)

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. Thing is when the vacuum starts and the opponent isn't caught fully in the seed stream they still take one or two hits as they fly over. Doesn't seem like there is a lot of frame difference between the pull and steam to have them avoid it completely.

As for weight class, it's possible but I haven't experienced a difference. Characters heavy to light are able to pass through the attack.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Hmm. Thing is when the vacuum starts and the opponent isn't caught fully in the seed stream they still take one or two hits as they fly over. Doesn't seem like there is a lot of frame difference between the pull and steam to have them avoid it completely.

As for weight class, it's possible but I haven't experienced a difference. Characters heavy to light are able to pass through the attack.
It's all to do with DI. If you get it right youc an sometimes DI the first hit and miss the whole thing completely.

I've never seen any case of someone missing the stream without any DI no matter what the weight or any other factors were. Test it on an absent player 2 with varying characters if you like but I'm pretty sure it can't happen without DI.

hey this sounds nooby since i recently started maining ivysaur but are there any ATs for him?
Hehe. Not...Really. There's instant tether but I barely consider that an AT myself.

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice
I've never seen any case of someone missing the stream without any DI no matter what the weight or any other factors were. Test it on an absent player 2 with varying characters if you like but I'm pretty sure it can't happen without DI.
Hmm thought DI would be one of the factors. I've seen it happen without DI on rare occasion. Sand bag in the waiting room. :/

Wondering if distance of how close one is to Ivysaur would batter with this one.

Zarkai

Smash Rookie
Anyone have any advice for sudden deaths with ivysaur? Ftilt and bair don't generally kill.

djcasual

Smash Rookie
how to love ivysaur?

For starters let me say I mostly just play SSBB with one other friend and none of our matches are that serious.

Whenever I switch to squirtle I get excited because he's a little berserker and I know I'm going to be buzzing all around my opponent like a little bumble bee. Then charizard comes out and I get excited because I'm going to throw my weight around, put my head through a rock, and put my opponents head through a wall.

But whenever I switch to ivysaur I kinda get this empty feeling like I don't really know what moves I'm going to do, what type of pressure I'm going to put on, etc. I realize I just need to play ivysaur more, maybe watch a few more videos, but I was wondering what you guys enjoy about ivysaur, what aspects of his play or moves do you get excited about pulling off? In short, how do I learn to love ivysaur and feel like his entrance into a match is about to bring the pain?

DemonFart

Smash Lord
watch pants and typh play ivysaur.
I love ivy a lot,I used to feel like u until I found what he can do.

:007:

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Leaf, Bair, Nair, Grab, Fair for racking.

Fsmash, Usmash, Uair, Whip for kills. You can save Fair for this if you want.

Dair and Dsmash are just shenanigans.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
I've been KO'ing mostly with Ivysaur's up-throw these days, either that or using back-throw and switching to Charizard.

D-smash can ledgespike an opponent on the ledge, and down-air is good for stopping your opponent in general.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Glad to see I'm bumping a thread that actually has its uses.

Anyway I would like for you all to take a look in case you haven't already seen my post in the Squirtle Tactical discussion.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205101&page=32

After a long break of being lazy, I decided to put down my info for Squirtle and move on to Ivysaur.

If I could have the PT players look at the Squirtle section and tell me what they think about it, that would be very lovely, while they are putting in their 2 cents for Ivysaur.

If you want a general idea of what I am looking for, just skim through the OP, you don't have to follow it exactly but that makes my job easier.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
For starters let me say I mostly just play SSBB with one other friend and none of our matches are that serious.

Whenever I switch to squirtle I get excited because he's a little berserker and I know I'm going to be buzzing all around my opponent like a little bumble bee. Then charizard comes out and I get excited because I'm going to throw my weight around, put my head through a rock, and put my opponents head through a wall.

But whenever I switch to ivysaur I kinda get this empty feeling like I don't really know what moves I'm going to do, what type of pressure I'm going to put on, etc. I realize I just need to play ivysaur more, maybe watch a few more videos, but I was wondering what you guys enjoy about ivysaur, what aspects of his play or moves do you get excited about pulling off? In short, how do I learn to love ivysaur and feel like his entrance into a match is about to bring the pain?
Just train exploring Ivy's moves. Once you see how to connect moves, you will find a fascination to this character. I liked all the pokemon when I first started Trainer, though I think I was leaning more towards Squirtle, but Charizard was pretty cool.

I usually start a match now with Ivy, and I work my team around Ivy. Ivy is my punish factor, and Charizard is my brutalizer. Squirt is there to energize with some fast moves. Though I must say, I am having a side effect going on. With my constant play with Ivy, my hydroplanning with Squirtle is seemingly becoming harder to do. Its like I am not linking the finger moves right all the time, but I have developed a back air and neutral air game to flow for Squirtle so I won't stress a great deal about not nailing a hydroplane now. Though I need it at some times to get in and hit them for a kill.

Ivy has some good moves and can hold off a back and forward attacker for a moment. Ivy can create some surprises.

You must have a good Ivy if you are going to play Trainer. You can't make it on just one poke alone. Stamina is a factor.

Top Bottom