• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Judge Rules Nintendo Illegally Protects Systems, Should be Like Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

FrankerZ
I really, really, don't think it's a good idea to mention smashboards at all because MLG owns this site now and they could get in trouble if Nintendo thinks MLG supports any stretch of the word hacking.

Furthermore, I hope you're not planning on e-mailing Nintendo that as you'll likely just get an automated response.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Remember, it's all about dat money. If Melee suddenly died they wouldn't care since they've made more than enough off of it. Brawl too.

Basically, cut out the entire paragraph 'bout Melee then send it. Good luck.

Edit: You didn't say a thing about online. I'm sure EVERY gamer would end up wanting to play THEIR online w/ someone else but Ninty wouldn't set out such a feature (doubt it). Not sure if Little Big Planetizing a console in such a way like this is even logical.

BEES

Smash Lord
I prefer keeping things concise:

Dear Nintendo, your game sucks so everyone is hacking it to make it better. Perhaps you could unsuckify it so that we don't have to hack it anymore?

Thanks,

-Fans

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
I really, really, don't think it's a good idea to mention smashboards at all because MLG owns this site now and they could get in trouble if Nintendo thinks MLG supports any stretch of the word hacking.

Furthermore, I hope you're not planning on e-mailing Nintendo that as you'll likely just get an automated response.
I am sure Nintendo already knows Smashboards is a Brawl Hacking site, and about the automated response, he could keep a copy of the letter and if he gets an automated response, he could find another way to get it to them, or he could mail it to them.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Yes, Nintendo already knows about smashboards and how we distribute both modified and UNmodified files from the brawl disk.

I really doubt they know about smashboards. There are plenty of other big sites out there that are cluttered with questionable activity and they haven't been shut down yet.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
BPC, i think you should define piracy as 'hacking that costs Nintendo money' and homebrew as 'hacking that doesn't'

But didn't Marcan try to send Ninty a letter at one point? I thought he never got a response...

I'm sorry, I just don't see this working :(

Sails

Smash Ace
Marcan/Someone on the team sent a letter to get in contact with an engineer, never got a response until after it was too late and an ISO loader was on its way out.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
It's only a matter of time before someone shows up with a truly open console.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
It's only a matter of time before someone shows up with a truly open console.
The tough part is getting game developers to sign on to it and make sure their games are at least not going to be pirated as easy.

Open source stuff seems to go a long way though, look at the success of Google's Android and how many networks and phones run Android now.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
Telling Nintendo about Brawl+ is an extremely stupid idea. Do you think Nintendo's lawyers don't know how to use Google? They could easily track us down if we mentioned Brawl+ to them by name. And them finding this forum is the last thing we need.

Call me a cynic, but it would be completely within Nintendo's rights to send a Cease & Desist and shut this entire forum down if they discovered that not only were we distributing the raw data files from the Brawl disc, but were also using tools illegally obtained from the Wii SDK to create our textures/loop our custom BRSTMs/insert files into Brawl ISOs with WiiScrubber.

If they do not know about us yet, you will be leading them directly here. If they do know about us but have chosen to not take action against us yet, you will be giving them an incentive to do so by calling attention to our illegal activities. This is especially true if you try doing a mass mailing instead of sending a single, easily-ignored letter.

Do not provoke them, guys. Prematurely ending the Workshop right before custom models and custom SFX get cracked would be the biggest tragedy of all.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Telling Nintendo about Brawl+ is an extremely stupid idea. Do you think Nintendo's lawyers don't know how to use Google? They could easily track us down if we mentioned Brawl+ to them by name. And them finding this forum is the last thing we need.

Call me a cynic, but it would be completely within Nintendo's rights to send a Cease & Desist and shut this entire forum down if they discovered that not only were we distributing the raw data files from the Brawl disc, but were also using tools illegally obtained from the Wii SDK to create our textures/loop our custom BRSTMs/insert files into Brawl ISOs with WiiScrubber.

If they do not know about us yet, you will be leading them directly here. If they do know about us but have chosen to not take action against us yet, you will be giving them an incentive to do so by calling attention to our illegal activities. This is especially true if you try doing a mass mailing instead of sending a single, easily-ignored letter.

Do not provoke them, guys. Prematurely ending the Workshop right before custom models and custom SFX get cracked would be the biggest tragedy of all.
If this forum was ended, another would simply pop up to take its place. People won't be denied so easily.
Still, you're right. It would be a major blow.

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
Not to butt in, but Gecko OS doesn't run back ups (alone). There are applications used to do what Gecko OS does and run back ups, but Gecko OS doesn't run back ups without modding all the needed ios. Without the necessary cios, Gecko OS is harmless in terms of piracy. The steps required to allow Gecko OS to play back ups (burned copies of games) would allow back ups to run just by using the disc launcher provided on the Wii System Menu (the thing in the upper left hand corner)

I would go into more detail about the cios/ios thing for Gecko OS to run back ups, but I don't think I am allowed to do so...

I believe if everyone attempts to show Nintendo how we feel about HBC and Gecko OS, it would be a lot stronger than just a letter. :( Not to be negative but this doesn't seem like it will do much of anything. It is already apparent that there are large numbers of people who feel that Nintendo should just allow hackers to do what they do best. Nintendo has just kept a blind eye to it; through many years we have requested and provided detailed methods to help prevent piracy and still allow hacking, but Nintendo hasn't done anything about it. If this were such a serious issue, hackers should find a way to bring something to court. The biggest issue is that we don't really have anything to bring to court, nor do we have big enough wigs to be heard. Nintendo has made it clear that they don't support any of it, and if there isn't a reason to force them to allow it, they will not.

Remember Nintendo isn't just a small group of people; if we could come up with all these reasons to allow the things we want, they have done the same thing. Nothing we have said in this thread hasn't already been thought out or presented to Nintendo.

bobson

Smash Lord
Oh gee, I sure hope the board dedicated to hacking the game doesn't tip them off.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord

Well there goes my introduction and sole reference point. >.< Any suggestions for a replacement?
No! Don't listen to him. They already know about this stuff, the letter should stay as it is. Seriously, you think we could go this long without Nintendo finding out about this. I'm sure some people have gone on this forum and snitched to Nintendo about us, if they haven't seen it themselves. My opinion would be to keep the letter as it is.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Well I hope someone here stands for the fan-made 3d Chrono Trigger game.

Well I hope someone here stands for the fan-made 3d Chrono Trigger game.
/shameless :awesome:

Anyway...

Veril

Frame Savant
The letter is well intentioned but in need of some significant editing. I'll have a fairly long list of suggestions when I'm free of these hellish finals.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
No! Don't listen to him. They already know about this stuff, the letter should stay as it is. Seriously, you think we could go this long without Nintendo finding out about this. I'm sure some people have gone on this forum and snitched to Nintendo about us, if they haven't seen it themselves. My opinion would be to keep the letter as it is.
Ever hear of what happens when you assume?

Regardless of what you think Nintendo has seen or heard, it doesn't change the fact that we are doing something illegal and you want us to say it loudly and clearly to a gigantic corporation with millions of dollars to spend on lawsuits. If we do that, you and I won't need to argue about whether they know we're breaking the law, because they will know for sure. They might not take action against us after learning about what we're doing, but do you REALLY want to take that risk? I sure as hell don't.

But hey, Brawlshifter, if you care about what Nintendo has done in the past so much, you'd remember how Nintendo mercilessly destroyed the Atari splinter group Tengen after they hacked the NES hardware to let them make bootleg NES cartridges without Nintendo's express approval. You'd remember the gigantic lawsuit Nintendo brought against Galoob after that company released their Game Genie cartridge, which could hack SNES games. You'd remember the massive stink Nintendo raised over GameShark (N64 hacking) and the M4 cartridges (DS hacking), calling for them to be banned everywhere and recalled from store shelves. You'd remember how they "accidentally" broke the Freeloader on the Wii with one of their System Updates and how they've been trying their darndest to kill Wii homebrew with every update they've released since May 2008.

What do you think they'll do to us when they hear about the hacking we're doing?

I don't think the letter will work since Nintendo has always taken a strong stance against hacking of their stuff, for prideful reasons and for financial reasons. But you know what? I don't care about whether Budget Player Cadet sends the letter or not, as long as he doesn't tell Nintendo about us when he does so. Go ahead and send the letter. Send a hundred of them. Just don't implicate Smashboards.

Keep things generalized and express a sincere desire to see more user-generated content on the Wii. Express dissatisfaction with the lackluster efforts so far -- you can mention Brawl's custom stages as an example -- and disappointment that such a renowned company expects so little from its considerable user base. By all means, mention Valve and the excellent work they are doing with the Source engine. Point out the success of CounterStrike and other similar user mods. Let them know that we do not intend to profit from homebrew games in any form or fashion, and that we vehemently oppose any form of piracy (unless we're the ones doing it, but don't say that). Take all those points you made in that earlier post regarding potential profitability and reiterate them. Let Nintendo know you care passionately about this issue and will respect whatever decision they make after considering your words.

Do not expect a reply. Nintendo has a policy for user submissions and suggestions: they never listen to them, ever.

Nintendo said:
Article 6: Submissions

Please do not send us any creative or original materials such as ideas for toys, games, or other products, or any creative suggestions, ideas, notes, drawings, concepts, or other information through the Wii Network Service or otherwise. Any unsolicited submissions become our sole and exclusive property and may be used by us with no obligation of confidentiality, payment, or attribution.
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/privacyEULA.jsp

Yahtzee put it best - fans are insatiable, unsatisfiable ******* that only THINK they know what the greatest features of a video game are. Nintendo learned this long ago when we were all still eight years old and playing [insert game here] in our pajamas on the weekends.

So by all means, Budget Player Cadet, do these things and have a grand time doing so. Just don't mention Smashboards. For the love of God and all that is awesome on the Internet, don't mention Smashboards.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
...Well I think that just about wraps up any discussion left in this thread. o_o'

Lock anybody? ¦D

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
You know, I've been thinking, what are we getting out of this? We've brought up all of these reasons Nintendo would profit from it, and why they should integrate it, but what are we getting out of it? It doesn't matter any to us, we already have it in our systems, we already know how to do this stuff, and there is no reason we really need Nintendo to care. If they choose to ignore this letter, or if they refuse it, who gives a ****!

(wfge7)

Smash Cadet
they fought back

ninty have fought back

http://wii.brewology.com/index.php?page=newsPage&id=895

“Nintendo maintains that infringement of its intellectual property rights, on its trademarks, software, its technical prevention measures and its video games is causing damage to the whole video game industry, preventing developers from gaining the full benefit of their hard work and creativity, but also to the customers who expect the highest standards and integrity from products bearing the Nintendo name.”

highest standards .They expect people to think thay have the highest standards . they expect half the worls to go mad every time they made a mario , link or pokemon game.

Do they actually come up with new ideas or do they still have plumbers jumping on enemies , elves swinging swords and pikachu and friends trying to beat 8 gym leaders + the elite 4
again and again and again.

When was the last time they thought of a new series that was good.

probably back in the n64 days or even later behind

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Dude you just called Link an elf...I've never played Zelda and even I know that's taboo. Get ready for someone to **** you for that one. XD

Uffe

Smash Hero
Except Windows is a program, not a gaming system trying to protect illegal downloads of video games on the VC that aren't even released.

(wfge7)

Smash Cadet
@clone hat
lol

@brawlshifter
nice avatar

@wave kusangi

what **** ahhhhhhhhhhhhh (ps do i know you from anywhere, you seem familiar)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom