• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Kantrip

Kantplay
Captain L I see you're holding onto your love of ponies. You may have changed your avatar back, but that location shows your true feelings. ;)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Yeah the cheaper Air Canada flights were really small, cramped, loud, and uncomfortable for me... now imagine Dawson taking a similar flight :x

So when are the high schoolers finished school? We should have lots of smashfests!

My Peach is definitely warmed up and unrusted now :)

:peach:

Kantrip

Kantplay
School is done for me, I have my Socials provincial on Thursday and I'm basically free.

Then Chem 12 in summer school.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh that Socials provincial. I didn't study for it and my exam never got marked in the end since the government randomly chose which exams they were going to test mark.

Chemistry 12 was great. It's a lot better than Physics 12 :(

Also, are you guys still forced to take Planning 10 and Portfolio?

Kantrip

Kantplay
That's weird. Doesn't it count as part of your grade though? Like I know our socials teachers are marking exams and then they send marks in.

I'm taking both, though the former in summer school to avoid a teacher I loathe.

Is Portfolio a grade 12 thing? We have something called Grad Transitions which I presume is the equivalent, so yes.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
My year was the "test" year for Socials 11, but it didn't count for anything since my Humanities course was made up for by taking IB Business Studies. History, geography, and the like just isn't my thing.

My mark was based only on my class mark, but for all the years after, the provincial was a part of the mark.

Maybe Grad Transitions is what Portfolio is called now. My year was also the test year for that and we were allowed to opt out of it. I think the benefit of doing Portfolio was that it helped with Passport to Education? I don't really remember since I opted out.

Planning 10 wasn't very interesting and my year was once again, the test year. It wasn't really useful and I think the mark was almost all participation.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Man that sucks you had to test everything. Planning was garbage and I hated it but it was definitely more than participation when I got to it. :/

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I'm actually happy I was part of the test group since I didn't care for any of that stuff :)

Too bad though if I were a year older, I wouldn't have needed to do any of that stuff plus the grade 10 provincials were being tested that year :p

I'd be down to play on Friday. Got an exam on Thursday :p

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL PORTFOLIO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's the one thing that everyone looks at and instantly says it takes WAYYYYYYYYY too much effort.

It was dead easy for me thanks to my music background. I basically already had everything I needed for everything in the music/arts area. I just had to put it on paper. I included a duet I composed a few years back, which alone counted in like 4 categories.

I ended with an easy 100% in it.

One funny story about Portfolio that one of my friends did was this: There is a 20% final presentation you have to do (which you can redo if you wish iirc), but as long as you look like you put some effort into it, you got a pass. A friend of mine did the portfolio, and did the presentation and everything. When they ask the question they asked everyone "So, how do you think you having done the portfolio will help you in your future?", she answered "It didn't help at all, and was a complete waste of time" (and a little more, but you get the idea). The teacher did not expect that at all. She still got 100% on it though :p

But yeah, anyone who had a background in music had an easy time with it.

edit: Kev, we were in the same graduating year, since my year was the first test one as well, and it was optional in the end as well. But I was one of the nerdy MANLY MEN who actually completed it :p

| Big D |

Smash Master
I can probably smash thursday/friday.

Planning/Grad Transitions is a *****

My advice to you, get it over with early and don't procrastinate it until the very last day like I did.

At first it looks overwhelming but really it's not just fill it in and the rest starts to flow.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Hm I guess that's good. Marks didn't mean much for me since I did IB :(

What sucked though was teachers felt a need to have high standards while marking so many of us got low percentages which kinda made getting scholarships harder to get. IB marks completely invalidated our school marks but people who offer scholarships don't really know what a "6 in English" means at all and we don't get our grades until July (iirc)...

SKidd

Smash Master
I'm playing lacrosse Friday and throughout the weekend, I can't go to the tourney.

Asa

Smash Hero
ideal attendance for the monthly (aka asa's pipe dream )

1. asa
2. bigD
3. captainL
4. jason
5. sinister
6. kantrip
7. skidd
8. basil
9. sniper
10. neebee
11. irisz
12. H
13. Tblock
14. Aleate
15. Dfalt
16. Max
17. breez
18. brick
19. starwaffle
20. crisis
21. kingkrazy

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
Late response, engage.

I'm aware you're not Japanese, Kevin, I was just wondering if you spoke any 'cause I remember you telling me you could speak Mandarin and stuff.

aPrune

Smash Cadet
As asa just mentioned, he found a new player on AiB chat! Welcome me to the scene guys :D! me and a couple friends will probably come to some events this week or next week! :D I'm from the RTS community in BC, im inactive from SC2 atm, but i went to a lot of tourneys in BC, and played at MLG anaheim 2011 as well, so Im no noob to a competitive gaming community, but I am a noob to this one. Me and a couple friends will need a bit of help finding our way around and working on not getting ***** every tournament by you guys haha ^^ sounds like a great community and I'm excited to meeting you guys :D!

-m&u, (Adam Pruner)

Jason!

Smash Lord
As asa just mentioned, he found a new player on AiB chat! Welcome me to the scene guys :D! me and a couple friends will probably come to some events this week or next week! :D I'm from the RTS community in BC, im inactive from SC2 atm, but i went to a lot of tourneys in BC, and played at MLG anaheim 2011 as well, so Im no noob to a competitive gaming community, but I am a noob to this one. Me and a couple friends will need a bit of help finding our way around and working on not getting ***** every tournament by you guys haha ^^ sounds like a great community and I'm excited to meeting you guys :D!

-m&u, (Adam Pruner)
Hey! Cool intro and all.. but the real question is..

Do You Like Kpop?

T-block

B2B TST
welcome prune ^^

sc2 is legit. i wish i were any good at the game... i do follow competitive sc2 somewhat though. i just can't motivate myself to practice T.T

aPrune

Smash Cadet
I love kpop! :D and my apologies for the double post D: :( :S not used to forums yet, I havent really even commented on teamliquid much haha, and I main toonlink/diddy/marth in brawl, just started playing it ^^ and yeah, starcraft is a great game to watch now with all the BW pros taking over, I'm looking for a bit of a change though haha, so hello smash! :D me and a couple friends have been playing a lot of melee over the last 2 months, but we just started playing brawl over the last week or so!

Edit- Marth is my melee main, but i also enjoy pika and puff in melee as well. I also love pika in brawl, and MK and a couple other characters as well, im not really set on one yet D:

aPrune

Smash Cadet
oh awesome grape! What level were you at in BW/sc2 on iccup and ladder?

Oh, and if anyone wants to shoot me an add on skype im almost always on:
adam..pruner ^^

T-block

B2B TST
I love kpop! :D and my apologies for the double post D: :( :S not used to forums yet, I havent really even commented on teamliquid much haha, and I main toonlink/diddy/marth in brawl, just started playing it ^^ and yeah, starcraft is a great game to watch now with all the BW pros taking over, I'm looking for a bit of a change though haha, so hello smash! :D me and a couple friends have been playing a lot of melee over the last 2 months, but we just started playing brawl over the last week or so!

Edit- Marth is my melee main, but i also enjoy pika and puff in melee as well. I also love pika in brawl, and MK and a couple other characters as well, im not really set on one yet D:
excellent

solid find in every way, bryan =P

looking forward to meeting you adam

can we call you adam

Top Bottom