• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I thought Melee and Brawl -proved- that relevance was a factor! Who cares about the criteria Sakurai specified in an interview?

D

Deleted member

Hello, I am ghost.

I am dead you killed me.
Fighting the good fight for recognition of Digimon.
I thought Melee and Brawl -proved- that relevance was a factor! Who cares about the criteria Sakurai specified in an interview?
Of course no one cares about what makes a good addition, let's use something that arbitrarily rules out deserving characters. :troll:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Guys I have an awesome idea: Make K. Rool have the (2nd?) slowest running speed, but make his crawl faster than his run. Since, you know, he is a crocodile! :awesome:

@ Super Smash Bros. Fan
You know what he meant: Only the important characters from major Nintendo franchises, the main characters (plural) from minor Nintendo franchises, and the main character (singular) of 3rd party franchises will be playable in smash bros games. It is pretty obvious that King K. Rool is a very important character in the Donkey Kong franchise.

The only "one shot" characters from any franchise that has been playable is Sheik, who is the alter ego of the title character.
Ganondorf won't be in SSB4 because he wasn't in Skyward Sword. :troll:
Some guy e-mailed me once that Zelda was being replaced by Fi because Fi is more relevant. This is despite the fact Zelda plays a large role in Skyward Sword, she is in nearly every Zelda game, she's been in 2 smash bros games, and her name is in THE FREAKING TITLE OF THE SERIES!!!
Personally, all I want is more DKC music. Shame there were not more in Brawl. No, the Stickerbrush Symphony remake does not count in my eyes.
I thought the Stickberbrush Symphony remake was the best song in Brawl. That is aside from Brinstar Depths from Melee. :bee:[COLLAPSE="As for songs, let me list the Donkey Kong songs I have in Project M:"]Dracula's Castle (this stage is freaking amazingly designed!)
-Creepy Castle Main Theme (Donkey Kong 64)
-Mad Jack Boss (Frantic Factory) (Donkey Kong 64)

Mario Circuit:
-Shiva Nataraja (‘Taj's Challenge’) OC Remix (Diddy Kong Racing)
-Creepy Castle Mine Carts (Theme) (Donkey Kong 64)

Rumble Falls (Project M version; if you haven't played this stage, go look it up! It's awesome!)
-Crocodile Cacophony (Kaptain K. Rool Boss) (Donkey Kong Country 2)
-Fear Factory Returns [full version] (Donkey Kong Country Returns)
-Gangplank Galleon ROCK Fan Remix Version (Donkey Kong Country)
-Sticker Brush Symphony (Bramble Blast) [original version] (Donkey Kong Country 2)
-Aquatic Ambiance (Donkey Kong Country)
-King K. Rool Boxing Duel (Final Boss) (Donkey Kong 64)

Congo Jungle 64 (over 75M)
-Dance of the Zinger (OC Remix) (Donkey Kong Country 2)
-Simian Segue (The Donkey Kong Country Title Theme)
-Congo Jungle (Super Smash Bros.) {Comes with Project M}

Jungle Japes (Melee)
-Jungle Garden ("Smashing… Live!" version)
-Sunset Shore (Donkey Kong Country Returns) [this song is perfect for this stage, or any stage with a sunset; it just "fits," you know=???]

Subspace Emissary: Jungle [Level] (this stage is fun as heck, and perfect for team battles!)
-Forest Interlude (Donkey Kong Country 2)
-Treetop Tumble (Tree Level) (Donkey Kong Country 3)
-Hideout Helm (Donkey Kong 64)

The Summit
-Snow Mountain (Super Mario 64)

Miscellaneous Songs:
-Collect Golden Banana Jingle (Donkey Kong 64) [this is the Donkey Kong series victory fanfare music; it fits the corniness of smash bros. quiet well!][/COLLAPSE]

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
There seems to be an explosion in the interest in K. Rool recently. At least on gamefaqs, theres no real reason for this though...

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
He certainly is, meant more that it seems surprisingly theres been a sudden surge of support for him. Normally that happens after a character has had some recent activity or something official has been said.
(just incase it read as I didnt support this/him as I certainly do)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I would imagine the surge, at least on GameFAQS, stemmed from his fans defending him from DustofDryBones' ignorant anti-K. Rool propaganda.

D

Deleted member

Gamefaqs seems to go on a set period of anti-character tirades.

D

Deleted member

Chalk up Dustof_DryBones should be chalked up as yet another horrible GameFAQs member. He once called the community "bipolar" despite not understanding what it meant and in the process, revealed himself to be hypocritical and an ***hole.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There is real reason. K. Rool is highly deserving.
LOL! So simple. So true.
I would imagine the surge, at least on GameFAQS, stemmed from his fans defending him from DustofDryBones' ignorant anti-K. Rool propaganda.
The biggest problem with GameFAQs: It's GameFAQs!

If this DustofDryBones were to come here on Smash Boards, his points would be pulverized, laughed at, and made into "bad" quotes on peoples' signatures! :rotfl:

D

Deleted member

I'm already laughing at the thoughts of Dustof_DryBones. His quotes can be made into lulz very easily.

In a few months, I will be finished with that website for speculating on Smash 4. There's really no point in it and the only reason why I continued to post is because of something I'm working on with a group of people (not revealing it, those part of it will know what I mean).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't take GameFAQs nearly as seriously as SWF, but I still visit from time to time, since there are so many more targets to ridicule there.

Currently, that one crappy K. Rool thread has spawned a series of 'K. Rool vs ______' polls, all of which he has won as of now. If they wanted to label him as unpopular, this was pretty much the worst thing they could have done.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
BKuppa666 said:
K. Rool's absence from DKCR has little to no impact on his playable chances. In fact, his situation is somewhat similar to that of Brawl's Donkey Kong newcomer, Diddy Kong. Despite his absence from Jungle Beat, the DK game that would go on to receive the most focus in Brawl, he was included for all the same reasons K. Rool will be this time around (popularity, franchise importance, potential, etc.). Returns will likely receive quite a bit of content in SSB4, but K. Rool's absence from this one (admittedly important) game will not hinder his likelihood, much like Diddy Kong's Jungle Beat absence did not for him.
I realize that you said "somewhat similar," but there is a big difference between the two situations. While Jungle Beat did receive a lot of focus, that didn't change the fact that there were still more games in the franchise after it before Brawl, most if not all of which Diddy were in (granted, K. Rool was in them too). Not to mention Diddy is not only important in the DK franchise, but in the Mario franchise as well, which is a very big plus despite being in his labelled in his own series. This is a quality that K. Rool does not share with him, having only appeared in one Mario game. While I'm not saying that K. Rool is unlikely, in fact I think he's one of the more likely newcomers, you can't compare his situation to Diddy's from pre-Brawl. He had more in his favor than K. Rool does now.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Okay, then let me present you with another question: do you think Diddy's appearances in Mario sports games had -any- impact whatsoever on him being selected for Brawl? That Sakurai looked to them when deciding what Donkey Kong content to include in Smash? No. Jungle Beat by far had the heaviest influence over the series' content in Brawl, and it lacked Diddy. He became playable anyways. Likewise, Returns lacks K. Rool, but won't stop him from becoming playable if Sakurai decides to make it happen.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Okay, then let me present you with another question: do you think Diddy's appearances in Mario sports games had -any- impact whatsoever on him being selected for Brawl? That Sakurai looked to them when deciding what Donkey Kong content to include in Smash? No. Jungle Beat by far had the heaviest influence over the series' content in Brawl, and it lacked Diddy. He became playable anyways. Likewise, Returns lacks K. Rool, but won't stop him from becoming playable if Sakurai decides to make it happen.
This guy is pretty smart.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Not just that but Sakurai even considered a Diddy & Dixie team for Brawl at one point... That's barely retro because that was only in 1995.

That's why I am still wanting both Dixie Kong and King K. Rool... Heck, throw in Kiddy Kong as Dixie's tag team partner to sweeten the deal!

:phone:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Yes, I do think it had some impact, at least on whether Diddy should've been in the game or not (him having his own game didn't exactly go against him either. Wish it actually got some references though). Being part of the Mario franchise as a whole, it helped that he made several appearances in both the DK and Mario series. Did it help THAT much? That's debatable, but it's not like it went against him. It made him more well known than if he didn't. With the Mario series and the spinoff series (DK, Wario, Yoshi) I think it helps if characters from the spinoff series are active in the entire franchise outside of their respective series (importance in their own series is more important though). Helps. It doesn't make them definite, but it does boost their chances.
Their situations are just a little different is all I'm saying. Diddy had appeared in several games, in and out of his franchise, before Brawl, but after Jungle Beat. K. Rool didn't appear in Returns, but he has yet to appear in one game since then, unlike Diddy after Jungle Beat. If K. Rool makes a couple more appearances in anything before Smash4 is released/enters development to the point where no characters will be added, then I think their situations would be a little more similar, and would make him even more likely than he already is. Their situations were much more similar pre-Brawl, but not so much now.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
About K.Rool and DKCR, his absence showed how popular he still is based on the constant "Where's K.Rool" question from fans.
Really? I thought the question was more like "Where are the Kremlings?"

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool was lumped in with the Kremlings when people questioned their absence.

I'd venture so far as to say King of Swing, Jungle Climber, and the GBA ports had just as little influence over Diddy's inclusion in Brawl as the Mario sports titles. In fact, of all the DK games between Melee and Brawl, only two sold more than a million copies: Jungle Beat and the original DKC GBA port (barely). Everything else entirely flew under the radar, to the point that many people were still questioning whether or not Diddy was owned by Rare, or why he hadn't appeared since DK64. This phenomenon is still seen when people ask why DK has a Scooby-Doo voice in Returns, when in fact he had the same voice since Mario Power Tennis.

At the very best, it's arguable that any post-64 Donkey Kong game had any influence on Diddy and Brawl, while it is undeniable that Jungle Beat did on the latter, and that it lacked Diddy. Even if K. Rool is both absent from Returns, the DK game that will have the most influence on SSB4, and doesn't have a number of arbitrary cameo games to his name, he's still a shoo-in based on his qualifications from the past. His situation is comparable to Diddy in this regard, despite him being slightly less important to the series overall.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
God WHO CARES if a character has been in a good game lately or not. If a character is great, has great moveset potential, and is from a great series, then put them in smash bros already-and that's what Sakurai does! Stop pulling this "they haven't done anything lately" GameFAQs crap, and debate like an intelligent human being with actual intelligent points.
Not just that but Sakurai even considered a Diddy & Dixie team for Brawl at one point... That's barely retro because that was only in 1995.
That idea was actually one of the development team (not Sakurai). They realized it wouldn't work, and Sakurai has claimed he wanted Diddy Kong solo anyways.
I don't take GameFAQs nearly as seriously as SWF, but I still visit from time to time, since there are so many more targets to ridicule there.
Nearly all of the "smart" GameFAQs Smash Bros people go to SWF, so there's no reason to go there at all IMO.
Currently, that one crappy K. Rool thread has spawned a series of 'K. Rool vs ______' polls, all of which he has won as of now. If they wanted to label him as unpopular, this was pretty much the worst thing they could have done.
LMAO, that's hilarious how that backfired. Who has K. Rool beaten in these polls=??? And seriously, the K. Rool haters are picking up where the idiotic Diddy Kong haters left off.

I remember there were a few people that felt that a ton of new Star Fox characters (namely Krystal and Panther) would get in over "oldies" like Diddy Kong. I even bet $50 with someone on SmashBoards that Diddy would be playable. They quit SmashBoards once he was confirmed. :chuckle: I even told some SWF Diddy hater "I wouldn't be surprised if Diddy was confirmed today" the day Diddy Kong was confirmed! :laugh: I then made a "you got owned" video directed at those moronic Diddy Kong haters, just to rub salt in their wounds! :rotfl:

D

Deleted member

Except Sakurai has went on record that he did in fact plan Diddy and Dixie in that one issue of Famitsu that discussed how he considered a Villager.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Who the heck was hating on -Diddy-? What did they want in his place, a Jungle Beat gibbon?!

I would hope part of why Diddy/Dixie was altered was because of how poor a representation a duo would be of both characters. Why restrict all the games they can represent separately to a grand total of -one- together?

K. Rool beat Megaman and Mewtwo in polls, only to lose to Cooking Mama...who one user claims went from 0 to 40 poll votes in a few minutes. It was quite humorous while it lasted.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
BKupa, is that you. You're a creative guy. That's really quite smart. Also lets you bump your thread.

I guess when you're in charge of the #1 character for Sm4sh thread, you have to handle your thread to this extent.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
K. Rool is in my top five characters for the next Smash Bros. There is no doubt in my mind that he deserves the spot on the roster over Dixie Kong. In my mind, Dixie would not have much potential to be entirely different from Diddy. I'd like to see more villains and heavy characters, which K. Rool fits perfectly.

Definitely in favor of this

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
K. Rool is in my top five characters for the next Smash Bros. There is no doubt in my mind that he deserves the spot on the roster over Dixie Kong. In my mind, Dixie would not have much potential to be entirely different from Diddy. I'd like to see more villains and heavy characters, which K. Rool fits perfectly.

Definitely in favor of this
While I agree that K. Rool should be in before Dixie, Dixie and Diddy really only have their general size and shape in common.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Klump and I have a rather special relationship together...he likes to keep K. Rool's thread off of page 2, because if it fell out of sight, it would just gather dust since K. Rool is very far from a controversial character with frequent arguments bumping him on cue.

While Dixie would be a Wolf-like clone, despite her being able to use all of Diddy's tail moves with her hair, we've established why K. Rool will come first, right?

CAB77

Smash Rookie
I want to be a K. Rool Kutthroat!!!

K. Rool deserves to be in Smash so much and I want him to get a seat in the roster so badly!!!! Nintendo gives him WAY less kredit than he deserves.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They're not even the same species. :awesome:

But I do think that K. Rool should be in before Dixie. A bit more important and popular as a whole.(By no means is she a bad choice, I just prefer K. Rool.)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The best case scenario for the DK franchise would be DK, Diddy, K. Rool and Dixie all becoming playable, so as to revive the latter two for the main series of games.

Smash has been heavily anti-DK to this point, but hopefully Returns is enough to give it a spike in content here.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why wouldn't a diddy/ dixie combo work?

I could see it working, especially if they add team moves like Diddy picking up dixie and throwing her or something like in the game

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mainly because it would only harm the uniqueness of the two. Diddy has tons of games to pull from; why only do something that was done once?

If anything, I'd say if you want to bring a tag team Kong, put Dixie and Kiddy. At least then we get two more Kongs, and Dixie isn't harmed as much seeing as she has arguably less to work with than Diddy.

However, this is the K. Rool thread. King K. Rool is King K. Kool. Yeah.

Top Bottom