• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keep Losing? Try this...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I posted this in the "my tournament play is not so good" thread, but some of it applies here as well I believe, so this is a repost of that information:

For me, my first step was playing wifi.

It helps. There is something on the line each match and you learn to play under pressure if you take it seriously. You'll also learn a lot about almost every character, including those jankly ones. Ask pretty much any wifi player and they will tell you it helps.

The second step I think was simply thinking about the game. You don't need to actually play. Just think. Ask yourself about set ups, approaches, your own weaknesses, how to deal with general situations/problems. Create a template in your mind of what to do in common situations that arise. I'll give you an example, before I created a rule of thumb I was inconsistent about what I would do against D3 when he would B-throw me near the edge. Following a B-throw most D3's will move to B-air edge guard you. At first my response was simply to Side-B (with Diddy) to get back to the stage, but most of the time I would end up eating a B-air. So, I created a rule of thumb in my head not to panic, not to use my jumps, and to let myself fall below the stage, then side-b, then jump if needed.

If you ever took computer programming, think of these scenario's as "If-Then" statements. If x occurs, you do y, because you know y has the best success rate. The only problem here is, unlike computer programming, you can't deal in absolutes. You can't always grab an opponent because eventually they will dodge, you can't always use a charged Smash instead because they may just shield. However, in some situations you should know the proportions for success rates. I know after I chuck a banana that if the opponent shields it I will get a grab close to 100% of the time the first time I do it. If I've already done it two or three times in a row, then I'll switch to the dash attack or a shuffled air attack because the opponent is expecting a grab and their response will either be to roll, dodge, or the most likely case short hop > nana grab, which is intercepted with the dash attack with good timing but is even more effectively intercepted with an fair/uair.

This is the type of mindset you need to enter in order to begin improving and reading/predicting the opponent. Playing wifi helps you develop these skills and helps you learn these common situations and what your best options are for getting out of them.

Wifi is tricky though. It is a slightly different game then live Brawl. The lag allows some things to occur that otherwise wouldn't in live play (like sheik can basically tilt you to 60% because its hard to hit the DI's, In live play you should be able to escape after like 30%). My first 26 matches on Wifi I was 13-13, and I one point I was 10-13. The 28 next games I played I went 25-3. At first it will be hard, it will most certainly be annoying, but eventually you learn to adapt and when that occurs you can begin to improve and you can begin to see the stuff that works in online play that will correlate to live play.

At tournaments in specific there are many things that can help. Here are some of the things I've learned to do
  • Energy is important. Some people use energy drinks, I usually just have a bag of skittles so I don't have any crashing.
  • Food is important. At COT4 I had about 1 and half meals over a 80 hour period. I ended up just drained by the end of Sunday when my matches were at 8pm at night after a whole weekend of Smash. Didn't play my best. Lesson learned, you HAVE to eat, even if you are not hungry/you are to excited you do not want to leave the tournament.
  • Stress can weigh on you in a match. When I played Inui in the Winner's Finals at Season's Beatings my hands were shaking so badly that I pressed the wrong buttons. So, now, I chew gum in matches, and while the shaking is still there a little bit, it is noticeably reduced. I bring a pack of gum and a bag of skittles to every tournament I go to now.
  • In November I played Joshu, who at the time was the best D3 in the Midwest (lain probably has the best D3 now, followed by Joshu). Joshu's D3 2 stocked me twice in a row. I spent the next couple months thinking about the match up and working on it, I got a lot of matches in with Atomsk in December and I learned a lot. AT MW champs I learned I had to play Joshu if I made it to WR3. So, once I made it through the first 2 rounds I took a break. I got some paper, a pen, and I went through everything I thought Joshu would do and how I would deal with it. I had situations mapped out and when I played him I played him prepared. I narrowly won game one. Then I 3 stocked him game two. Most people don't ever write down what to do in match ups, I only know of one other player who ever did actually, and it was Wife. Wife had a notebook full of information and strategies for each match up. I'm currently working on mine.
  • Music can be a blessing and a curse. If the crowd gets to you and you do not particularly care about the in game sounds then sound-canceling headphones may help you concentrate. However, some in game sounds can help you. When you play Smash your mind is being trained both on visual cues and audio ones. Its sorta like if you ring a bell and always put food out for the dog eventually they will be trained to look for the food by just ringing the bell. Having the visual and audio information creates less work for the brain, plus I think you should try to play in whatever environment you normally play (so if you never listen to in game sounds then don't do it in tournament). Additionally, there are some sounds that occur before the attack actually shows itself, an example being Pikachu's Down-B.
  • Take things one match up at a time. Do not get ahead of yourself. Focus only on your current opponent. Do not let your mind wander to other things. I have made this mistake to many times to count. It is hard to do, but when you are just focused on the game and the game alone you will play better.
  • When playing an opponent, to keep your mind on track, constantly ask yourself what the previous moves they did based on where you were and what you were doing. Most Olimar players for example with spam pikman, then if you get near them they will spam grabs. Pretty simple. If you space correctly you can see when they stop spamming pikman and start spamming grabs and you use it to your advantage (usually shuffled airs work). Essentially, concentrate on the opponents responses to what you do, then try to use what you have learn to predict what they will do next.

Vlade

Social Outcast
^ this is exactly what I'm trying to work on right now.

Knowing your options, and switching them up to adjust to the opponent's reactions.

I really like that idea of writing down specific strategies for certain match-ups in a notebook though, that could actually be really helpful.

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
Found a link to this thread from another thread. I have to say, this helped a lot. Thanks for putting it together.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
This thread if full of good things.
I used to find in matches I was playing without thinking, just sort of using my strategy reguardless of what my opponent was doing.

No adapting, no changing, just my playstyle.

tuestresfat

Smash Apprentice
When I clicked on this thread, I half-expected to see a massive picture of metaknight on my screen. Thank god it didn't happen.

Good thread :)

Shadowtheoriginalone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadoAnnaru
3DS FC
4528-3417-2533
Switch FC
SW 4317 5992 9594
Really good read. I find this as an eye-opener...although I'm pretty easy to impressed. >.<
I get the message that it's the little pieces that make the big picture...even though I'm probably paraphrasing for you.

Nice job. ^_^

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
This thread helped me a lot actually. From looking at replays etc I've noticed my spacing is terrible and also I tend to try and KO my opponent as soon as they get 100% which results in me getting hit a lot and me getting KOd instead. (I've a lot to learn)

FOXYB

Smash Cadet
...Vince Lombardi was closer to the truth: "practice does not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect". If you are going to practice against a computer, I find the most effective way to do this is by playing a level 1-3 (no higher) CPU and take it seriously. Make every move hit, and make sure every move is intentional. Don't worry about combos and flashiness. Worry about being in complete control of your character. Move around, put yourself in awkward situations. You don't have to constantly be attacking as if you were recording a combo video. Slow your game down and you will think of different things to do in different situations...
This is a very good idea. The higher level CPUs don't act like humans. But every now and then I think it's fun to mix it up and play the lvl 9s.

Top Bottom