• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keep Losing? Try this...

Mangiks

Smash Rookie
Never though about it that way, thx a lot! :)

I really should focus more on not getting hit than just trying to hit the enemy with everything I got.

Harkness

Smash Apprentice
Oh my gosh!!! This is incredible! I feel like such an imbicile not to have seen this before. Thank you so much for this information. I now feel... enlightened...

Smash Saej

Smash Cadet
I like this stuff, but i think it is more important to take advantage of someone attacking, rather than focus on the defense. When someone attacks me, i try to find the lag time of that move, and punish them for it. When someone is attacking, they cant block or protect themselves, and that is when you attack. when they start to play defensively, that is when i begin throwing.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
Also, you should never fully commit to an attack if your opponent has reacted differently than you intended. What I mean is you should never have a preconceived notion of what you are going to do, regardless of what your opponent is doing.
This is probably what I always end up doing with Marth. Whenever I start a Dancing Blade, I always tend to finish it whether or not my opponent and roll dodged too far to reach or jumped away from it. In doing so, it leaves me open to attack afterwards. That and spacing is really important for Marth and his tippers too. That was a really good and helpful read, especially with a lot of new players who come to this website hoping to learn some awesome AT to win them games lol.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
I'll be honest. I almost hated you that entire read, but I've got to thank you. You might have helped me double my capability right there.

My friend is wizardly with any character he picks up, and I never seemed to understand why he predicted me so obviously. My strategy usually consists of shift my vision to my opponent(s) and then to myself and chase, don't worry about sweet spots and angles so much as getting them off the ledge.

Your vision idea, that's interesting, and you seem to be right. I should know what I'm doing, I shouldn't have to waste time reminding myself I'm right in front of myself.
Spacing. I need to work on this. I usually just roll, jump or spot dodge out of attacks. I've missed so many potential opportunities for KO just using these three methods I feel ashamed.

This is the kind of help thread I've dreamt of. I'll try applying your methods and see if they work for me. I thank you greatly for this contribution, it's better than almost 60% of what I see here.

InfiniteSmash1221

Smash Cadet
Good advice. Have to admit i'm still working on breaking the habit of focusing my vision on my character and committing to some of my attacks. :ohwell:

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
I enjoyed reading this thread, it's given me a few things to think about.

Shana

Smash Rookie
This was the single greatest Brawl related read I've ever seen. Thanks a lot.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Great post there TC. This is exactly what I try to explain to my friends who want to get actually good at the game, but none of them seem to get it. I pick up their character to do a mirror match and win every time just because I have better fundamentals. I try and tell people not to just walk into an attack just because they are so hungry to get a forward smash off, but it just doesn't work. It is really hard to teach someone how to play smash properly...

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
This is an excellent summary of how this game should be played intelligently
Its amazing how you can extend the simpleist of advice into something like that.

Very Good Read

deadsilence325/Narx

Smash Rookie
I am really glad that I found this thread. My gameplay has deteriorated causing me to chose the offensive route over the defensive. I had comepletely thrown aside my defensive style for the idea of charging in with reckless abandon. Thanks for reminding me about how patience really wins the battle. I believe this is a must read for any new smash players. Great job and thanks again.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
This is an invaluable read, even if it is a simple idea explored.

good example:
recently I played against a Mario player, excellent player. But he would always always always, approach with a sh-> fireball or some minor variation thereof. So I start thinking, 'he really expects me to block or reflect the fireballs' I was playing Fox at the time. So instead of taking the fireballs or reflecting them (which would leave me open for a split second) I used Fox's speed, agility and small target to maneuver past the fireballs and punish Mario. I won that match and held my own pretty well against that particular player, simply because I watch and think while maintaining my own unpredictability.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
good read

until i read this i never realized how important spacing was
i have to practice more >.>

Royale

Smash Journeyman
^^^^^^^^

I find that your more likely to get shield grabed if you stand too far away from your opponent for too long. But like you said in your own post, its all about spacing.

"don't get hit"
in a difficult match thats hard to achieve whole hearitdly, but no truer piece of advice none the less. Your defensive is JUST as important as your offense. And both should be practiced on.

If you are going to practice against a computer, I find the most effective way to do this is by playing a level 1-3 (no higher) CPU and take it seriously.
never thought of doing this, but i'll give it a shot. Nice read. Voted 5

Ger-Man

Smash Rookie
I honestly would like to say that after reading this, I have noticed a significant improvement in my game. I also liked the one through three concept that was helpful.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I guess ill add my two cents.

The thing that has taken me from being a decent player to one that dominates is pretty much learning to "play" with my opponents, and wait for them to do something instead of acting on my own.

For example:
I am dk, and my opponent has just hit the ground, and is lying down. I am far away from in on FD

He can.
1. Get up attack
2. Roll Forward.
3. Roll Backwards.
4. Stand up

After playing, ive noticed that rolling towards your opponent almost never works, and most people instinctively retreat after missing a tech.

Ill run towards him. If he gets up, I grab, if he getup attacks, ill grab or ftilt, depending on distance. And, if he rolls backwards, i grab. If he does roll forward, hes too far away to do anything to me, and shorthop bair after running past this roll might punish him too.

You have to play a lot of matches, and look at patterns of what people do.

Shielding, Grabbing, and Walking, are very important, and knowing how much range you and your opponent have is even more so.

I played isai a few times online in ssb, and he 5 stocked me with DK. At the time, I could hold my own against all the other players online except for a few, and I was shocked. NOTHING i did worked. None of my combos, none of my tricks, nothing.

And then I realized my problem. I had all these moves in my head, and they linked together and worked well, but I couldn't get the first hit off. He was dodging the hell out of everything, and then attacking me when I whiffed.

And the way he dodges, even in ssbb, was different that just avoiding the attack. Its almost as if every attack grazed his face, so that right after, he could hit me with whatever he wanted.

Playing SSB online with people as good as him is what made me better at playing melee when I didn't have opponents. Then I realized that simply tech chasing against bad players was good enough to **** them.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I'm late as hell here, but I have to say that was a a very insightful post. You should write a book or something. Seriously.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
good thread :) i think u posted this too on AiB, i think i commented it on there unless if that was some other thread. but this really does help, and thx :) i really do give into these basic mistakes, pretty much all of them that you adressed. and i never thought of fighting a lvl 1-3 comp instead of lvl 9... thats a good idea. im guessing its just cus its easier to space and perfect the basics right?

Sonic0101

Smash Rookie
I keep losing because I can't master all this - Don't have time to shield and dodge with Wiimote + Nunchuk... Too busy being pwnt... I only realize how bad I am when I go into Spectator and see everyone rolling around and shielding...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I keep losing because I can't master all this - Don't have time to shield and dodge with Wiimote + Nunchuk... Too busy being pwnt... I only realize how bad I am when I go into Spectator and see everyone rolling around and shielding...
Try using the Classic Controller or Gamecube controller then.

Top Bottom