• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ken Masters: The Ultimate Echo (Street) Fighter

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Chrom also proved us that being an echo doesn't necessarily mean it has to copy every single move of the original fighter, so it is now possible Ken can have his more unique moves, or at least a couple.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Can't believe I haven't posted here. But I definitely support Ken.

Chrono.

I support Ken, my go-to Street Fighter main for as long as I can remember and he'd be a perfect echo for Ryu now that we know they don't have to be totally 1:1 to be echoes.

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
I absolutely support, I found myself surprised he didn't make Smash 4 along with Ryu. Just doesn't feel right to have Ryu without Ken. It's like... Scorpion without Sub-Zero.

Or something.

Last edited:

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Welp, Vergeben has struck again.
SmartSelect_20180818-191553_Chrome.jpg

I've believed Verg for a while now, and with Simon Belmont being confirmed during the direct last week, he's looking increasingly credible. Also, Ken has been one of my most wanted characters in Smash ever since Ryu was announced, so I'm really happy right now.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ken... oh man. I've loved him since first picking up Street Fighter in 1993 at the age of 2. I've mained Ken throughout the Street Fighter II series, all 3 Alpha games and all their ports, part of Street Fighter IV, and I love him in every game he's in.

Ken is the OG Echo Fighter, a gigantic icon of video games, and truly a character worthy of Smash. He is the original PvP Player Two, and he's awesome as hell!
Welp, Vergeben has struck again.
View attachment 158575
I've believed Verg for a while now, and with Simon Belmont being confirmed during the direct last week, he's looking increasingly credible. Also, Ken has been one of my most wanted characters in Smash ever since Ryu was announced, so I'm really happy right now.
Same.

We don't need Verg to "confirm" Ken. After Richter, Chrom and Dark Samus... Ken (and Shadow) are basically 100% locks. I don't see any reason to not have Ken.

KEN IS GOD!!!!

Edit: Also, add me to the support list, 100%!!!

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If the Vergeben source is the same as

No Cuts
Snake
Ridley
Simon
Isabelle

I say you guys are in the clear

I support by the way

Probably the easiest echo of them all to make honestly he’s been a echo of ryu before smash even existed

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
Is this the part where I support Fire Ryu Ken for Smash? Because I support.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I really want ken to be in the game with a tweaked moveset. his moves can be the same basic moves, but the mechanics need to be different. Like his hurricane kick should pull enemies in for multi hits, his shoyrouken should also have multi hits, and his hadouken should be angled when shot in the air.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ken is being rated in the RTC. Come show your support. Reminder to write at least two sentences of reasoning for Chance and Want.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Decided to throw some support here, and I put Ken along with the other potential newcomers in this picture.:

D

Deleted member

This is probably the best overall idea for an Echo fighter since Ken is the original Echo fighter in fighting games.

Count me in as a supporter.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I thought for sure I already threw my support here but I guess not. Count me in for sure! I love the small tweaks that they’re doing with Ryu in 1-on-1’s and he needs a buddy. Plus Ken is one of my favorite Street Fighter characters. I’d definitely consider maining him.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
If there is some kind of pattern to the website updates leading to a reveal things are looking good for Ken. If not I can see them announcing him and Shadow in the Final Smash Bros Direct.

toonito

Smash Ace
If i got this right Vergeben doesn't seem to have info on echoes (explains him not alluding to Chrom, Dark Samus, Daisy or Richter)

does this mean if Ken was to get in Ultimate could he be a semi-clone?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If i got this right Vergeben doesn't seem to have info on echoes (explains him not alluding to Chrom, Dark Samus, Daisy or Richter)

He didn’t allude to K. Rool either, so Ken could still be an Echo. He even claimed he wasn’t sure Isabelle was an Echo or unique, so he must have some info on Echoes.

That is, of course, assuming he’s legit, which I hope he isn’t.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice

While his source likely just told him what he knew. I'm thinking he's legit at this point and even then Ken, a Gen 7 Pokemon and likely Geno are characters most Smash fans are talking about anyway.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Put me on that supporter list, I used Ryu more of the two but both of them are awesome.

Ken should by all means get in, either as an echo or a semi.

Sagat and Cammy are my actual mains in SF these days but I still use Ryu and Ken decently often.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Kinda surprised this thread doesn't have more activity considering he's basically confirmed now.
Street Fighter isn't really popular among the Smash fan base. Compare the reaction to Ryu getting in to Sonic. It's no wonder that Ken hasn't had much support, as he'd be an echo for a character many didn't ask for.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Welp, it looks like Ken has become one of the most expected characters now. It's funny how these theories and "leaks" change how we view characters and their Smash possibilities.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Welp, it looks like Ken has become one of the most expected characters now. It's funny how these theories and "leaks" change how we view characters and their Smash possibilities.
I fully expected Ken the moment 3rd party echoes became a thing through Richter.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Ken's been one of the most expected characters.

He's just not a character a lot of people care to talk about

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’m surprised how much pushback Ken has been getting. The dude is one of the first fighting game characters, the first “echo character”, and is apart of one of the most famous video game duos of all time. Ryu and Ken are among the likes of Mario/Luigi, Sonic/Tails, Scorpion/Sub-Zero.

Plus I love how well Ken works perfectly as a foil for Ryu, the stoic and ascetic wandering warrior vs the hot blooded and wealthy family man fighter. Ryu and Ken is what Street Fighter is all about at its core, two fighters from different walks of life fighting each other for no other reason than the thrill of the fight. Ryu and Ken have no beef, the world isn’t at stake, they’re simply looking for a fight since that’s what they live for.

It would be cool if Ken and Ryu got some special animations when fighting each other 1v1, such as replacing their normal character intros with this

46E17113-A2A3-4269-84CB-885C75B01B65.gif

Put me on the support list, I for one can’t wait to have a Ryu vs. Ken 1v1 in smash, especially if they both get the mechanic of always facing each other in 1v1.

toonito

Smash Ace
I’m surprised how much pushback Ken has been getting. The dude is one of the first fighting game characters, the first “echo character”, and is apart of one of the most famous video game duos of all time. Ryu and Ken are among the likes of Mario/Luigi, Sonic/Tails, Scorpion/Sub-Zero.

Plus I love how well Ken works perfectly as a foil for Ryu, the stoic and ascetic wandering warrior vs the hot blooded and wealthy family man fighter. Ryu and Ken is what Street Fighter is all about at its core, two fighters from different walks of life fighting each other for no other reason than the thrill of the fight. Ryu and Ken have no beef, the world isn’t at stake, they’re simply looking for a fight since that’s what they live for.

It would be cool if Ken and Ryu got some special animations when fighting each other 1v1, such as replacing their normal character intros with this

View attachment 164650

Put me on the support list, I for one can’t wait to have a Ryu vs. Ken 1v1 in smash, especially if they both get the mechanic of always facing each other in 1v1.
I'd like Ken to have a companion talk is cheap taunt but when in close proximity with Ryu does that intro instead

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

View attachment 164650

It's not so much pushback, but rather that he and Incineroar are all that's left that are making some feel underwhelmed. If it were say a combination of another unique and echo, people would be just as underwhelmed.

Last edited:

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I like echo fighters, but I've seen a lot of people giving up on characters who should be unique fighters instead of echoes. To me some characters, like Dark Samus (revealed), Dixie Kong, and Impa (both rumored), they would be more well suited to have their own moveset. However, I feel Ken is the definition of an echo fighter. He has small changes that help given her personality while still being extremely similar to Ryu. Put me on the support list.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Maybe they'll add Akuma as another Echo DLC down the road. Ken's more iconic and duh of course Sakurai chooses Masters, but I crave more villains in Smash.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

View attachment 164650

I think the pushback is because Ken (and Incineroar, who was already a contended pick) is the face of the box theory, which is either dreaded or ridiculed by many people. Not justifying it, but that’s how it is.

Top Bottom