• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ken Masters: The Ultimate Echo (Street) Fighter

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Maybe they'll add Akuma as another Echo DLC down the road. Ken's more iconic and duh of course Sakurai chooses Masters, but I crave more villains in Smash.
Akuma could never be an echo, since he has moves Ryu and Ken can't perform, like Air Fireballs. He'd be a Semi-clone at worse.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’m in support of the White Man Ryu.

I played a lot of the Street Fighter games and Ken was usually the one I prefer to play over Ryu.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’m in support of the White Man Ryu.

I played a lot of the Street Fighter games and Ken was usually the one I prefer to play over Ryu.
Actually 1/4 white man Ryu.

According to the Street Fighter encyclopedia and game bios, Ken is 3/4 Japanese and dyes his hair blond. His father is half-Japanese and his mother is full Japanese. Solid Snake technically is part Japanese as well, he had heavy genetic tampering but the egg donor for the cloning project was a Japaneses woman.

Just some strange trivia about Ken and Snake.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Well, Ken may have been doubled down on. Check the spoiler below for a screenshot found on 4Chan.

50D8BF2E-15F5-4F7F-831F-9B323D4DAE3D-292-000000177EDAF80B.png

link2702

Smash Champion
So whoever posted that, did they have anything else? Screenshots of other characters for example?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I accept Ken, as he has history as basically the original echo fighter, and he's fun and it means more music.

That said, my dream Ryu echo fighter is my girl Sakura! I'd kill to have her in.

(Or Dan...)

As for the leak, I take all with a grain of salt but it's looking likely Ken is in and that is such a great look for him, so hey, why not?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
of cource they would only post Ken and no one completely surprising right?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Holy ****, an image leak that actually looks good? What is this madness?

For real though, Ken looking good.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The joke "They can't get Ken's face right" seems to continue into Smash.

It looks weird

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Here's the full image:

Could always still be fake but this is probably the most convincing visual leak so far.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Here's the full image:

Could always still be fake but this is probably the most convincing visual leak so far.
The Pichu icon is what makes it fake. All the other characters don't have anything extending out past the border, only pichu does, and then part of its ears cut off. Here is what Pichu's in game icon looked like in a past direct video

So this seems to be cut from that.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Personally I'm leaning towards the Ken leak being fake, but regardless I feel that Ken is definitely in the game anyways. I'd also like to sign up as a supporter as even though I'm not really a Street Fighter fan, Ken was the OG Echo Fighter, he deserves more than anyone else to be an Echo Fighter in this game.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The Pichu icon is what makes it fake. All the other characters don't have anything extending out past the border, only pichu does, and then part of its ears cut off. Here is what Pichu's in game icon looked like in a past direct video

So this seems to be cut from that.
The icons are still up for change as there is a chance they decided to cut off Pichu's ear for some reason.

Ridley's icon for example has gone through changes over various versions:

1537551211408.png
1537551226579.png

Left is the Smash invitational while the right is from the Chrom and Lucina match uploaded by Nintendo.

zferolie

Smash Hero
The icons are still up for change as there is a chance they decided to cut off Pichu's ear for some reason.

Ridley's icon for example has gone through changes over various versions:

View attachment 165923View attachment 165924

Left is the Smash invitational while the right is from the Chrom and Lucina match uploaded by Nintendo.
Yeah but look at the other characters, all are in frame. Plus its not the full Pichu ear, its his ear then its cut. Ridley so soo the full head it doesn't get cut off after leaving the box.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Ken is happening, guys.

Yeah but look at the other characters, all are in frame. Plus its not the full Pichu ear, its his ear then its cut. Ridley so soo the full head it doesn't get cut off after leaving the box.
There were characters in-frame next to Pichu at E3, too.

It doesn't make it fake; the guy didn't even crop the portrait from E3, there's a bit more ear showing than at E3 when the yellow box surrounds Pichu. It all depends on what build it is.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ken is happening, guys.

There were characters in-frame next to Pichu at E3, too.

It doesn't make it fake; the guy didn't even crop the portrait from E3, there's a bit more ear showing than at E3 when the yellow box surrounds Pichu. It all depends on what build it is.
No one is arguing ken isn't happening. we are all expecting it for sure.

Yeah I know some have wnet past frame and others haven't, but from all I have seen, any body part that went past frame was not cut off at anypoint. thats what I'm saying. this seems to be the first time(from what I can find) has happened.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
No one is arguing ken isn't happening. we are all expecting it for sure.

Yeah I know some have wnet past frame and others haven't, but from all I have seen, any body part that went past frame was not cut off at anypoint. thats what I'm saying. this seems to be the first time(from what I can find) has happened.
Still, everything else points in favor of this leak.

For all the details he got, that would be a silly thing to miss. I'm not completely discounting it as evidence it's fake just yet, but the fact that the portraits change throughout different builds makes it flimsy, so I'm feeling like discarding it. I can't find a single thing wrong with this image when comparing it to official sources.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Still, everything else points in favor of this leak.

For all the details he got, that would be a silly thing to miss. I'm not completely discounting it as evidence it's fake just yet, but the fact that the portraits change throughout different builds makes it flimsy, so I'm feeling like discarding it. I can't find a single thing wrong with this image when comparing it to official sources.
yeah if it is fake the person did an amazing job for sure.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The new pic doesn’t look to scale, or is it just me? Pichu looks way too big.

Still, Ken looks great, so I wouldn’t mind if it’s real.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Well... I wouldn't mind this being real. I don't know what else to say besides that big bar and all that small text, those seem to be all debug stuff.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Gonna need more images as proof before I'm willing to believe the leak.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I've rarely trusted a rumor 100% before, but this time? I think this Ken leak is 100% legitimate. I was a little skeptical at first, but several small details has led me to conclude that it's the real deal.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's believable, but I'm not totally sold yet. Someone getting a hold of a screenshot before the game went gold would be unprecedented for Smash.

Wouldn't change much if it was real anyway, we all knew Ken was coming.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
It's believable, but I'm not totally sold yet. Someone getting a hold of a screenshot before the game went gold would be unprecedented for Smash.

Wouldn't change much if it was real anyway, we all knew Ken was coming.
Not just that. If you can get screenshots... why only get KEN?! of all the characters you would want to try and show fo the massive reactions, Ken is not one of them,

D

Deleted member

To be fair, Ken's face has pretty much always looked inconsistent and almost always looked weird. Though I'd be perfectly fine if the leak's real. I mean his face is too muscular for my liking, but it is accurate to some depictions of Ken. Plus IDK why a muscular face would bother anyone if they're okay with Simon's muscular as **** face. Also, it still looks a lot less weird than SFV or IV's Ken's face.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Pichu's ear really bothers me. If it's real I hope it's just a momentary error like Ken not having an icon, not for Ken's chances at all, but for poor Pichu! Anyway i wouldn't worry, Ken has been so heavily rumoured around that he's all but confirmed at this point.

link2702

Smash Champion
The one thing that kills this leak for me is still his foot, not the one clipping in the stage but the other one. Something about it seems off, like it’s floating or maybe just pasted there.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Pichu's ear really bothers me. If it's real I hope it's just a momentary error like Ken not having an icon, not for Ken's chances at all, but for poor Pichu! Anyway i wouldn't worry, Ken has been so heavily rumoured around that he's all but confirmed at this point.
As far as Ken not having an icon, they go transparent/translucent when a character is standing on/in them. While I can't check the game right now, I'm fairly certain that was the case in Smash for Wii U as well.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
This is the first leak that no one can solidly debunk yet. Even stuff like the Skull Kid / Bandana Dee on Poke Floats one got a lot of red flags pointed out with in hours, and people completely decimated that fake Agnes leak.

I've been skeptical in the past, but this is the first one that I'm genuinely leaning towards true. If it's fake it's easily the most well-done one yet.

And Ken has always looked weird in 3D, so in a sense any oddities of his character almost make sense in a way.

StormC

Smash Hero
Something about Ken's body just looks off to me... like it's painted. Doesn't match the other characters very well, but it could just be a bad screenshot.

Also, seems kinda lucky that Ken of all characters has their icon being obscured.

Top Bottom