• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede General Moveset Discussion

Oort

Smash Cadet
Oh dang, that's awesome. All the people I saw playing dedede must've just sucked, I was a little worried about him.

How do you guys feel about the new Dair?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord

Ayyyyyyyy
Damn! That was epic. That's the kind of stuff I expect to see in the future of Smash 4! Lots of epic combos and ****.

Oh dang, that's awesome. All the people I saw playing dedede must've just sucked, I was a little worried about him.

How do you guys feel about the new Dair?[/]
Idk how strong exactly it is but it feels like a nerf, but with good reason. It was really good and they may want characters to use a wide variety. Well, at least he has a move he can use to kill better when they're below, especially now that he doesn't have his old bair and his new bair doesn't really hit below him and is his back aerial anyway, and his fair hits high and horizontal.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Dunno if it's been mentioned here, but according to this, DDD's FTilt is now a multi-hitter.
DDD's FTilt is gonna benefit GREATLY from Pivot Cancelling, IMO.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Dunno if it's been mentioned here, but according to this, DDD's FTilt is now a multi-hitter.
DDD's FTilt is gonna benefit GREATLY from Pivot Cancelling, IMO.
Dedede's D-tilt is a roll.
Unfortunately, his Jet Hammer seems even slower now...

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I really don't know what to make of the Gordos yet. It's such a different move from Brawl's Waddle Dees. The power is insane, and I've seen them pull off some nice hits off-stage and as combo finishers, but threat of deflection seems really great. There was a match I saw vs. Toon Link where every Gordo Toss attempt resulted in Dedede getting crushed. Arrows were striking the Gordo before it left his hands and doing crazy damage. I know it's a high risk, high reward move, but I've yet to see much consistent effectiveness.

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played Dedede since the time I lost to a chain-grabber in a small tourney. (Stage was Flat-Zone, geh-heh-heeeeh....)

I'm willing to give the big guy a second chance if his shenanigans are gone, since he seemed to be a solid character otherwise.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Dedede can no longer chain grab, due to his down throwing having a different trajectory and the grab invincibility mechanic.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Dedede will be fine without chain grabbing, especially since his other moves have either been buffed or gone unchanged.

PotatoMashedDee

Smash Cadet
King Dedede's gordo toss makes me Dededegasm... Sakurai really know how to replace Waddle Dee toss to a better move like this... Looks like the gordos have a balancing weight, better aerial and more damage than waddle dees(yeah everyone knew it)

so the chain grab is removed huh? well i don't care tho, since i see smash4 have fast melee's movement and some moves get buffed as well

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Ouch. That's really bad.

I thought it was just a silly visual glitch like G&W's permanent turtle glitch from Melee when I first saw it in a different video, but not being able to throw Gordos until the glitch ends is crippling.

Last edited:

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Ouch. That's really bad.

I thought it was just a silly visual glitch like G&W's permanent turtle glitch from Melee when I first saw it in a different video, but not being able to throw Gordos until the glitch ends is crippling.
Smash 3DS (Japan)= Beta
Smash 3DS/Wii U (US)= Finished product :p

In all seriousness I do hope this does get resolved soon either before or after US release.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Dedede sub-forum seems so inactive.
The King deserves better treatment than this! :4dedede:

I've, sadly, yet to get the chance to play as Dedede. Though I have watched gameplay of him and seen his surprising number of changes.
I was expecting no more chain grabbing, but his dair and bair are different as well. Not sure if that's good or bad.
His modified side-tilt looks pretty nice especially with pivot-cancelling.

Would those of you who have actually gotten the chance to play Dedede say all of his changes have made him better or worse? No chaingrabbing seems like a major downer, but perhaps the physics changes have made up for this?

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Haven't gotten a chance to use him yet but judging by streams and videos I've seen of him I think he'll be good in the long run even without his chaingrabs.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm confident that King Dedede is the only character with absolutely no info on his custom moves.

HyperGumba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Taro_Kuroyoko
3DS FC
4227-1462-6701
Still no news on the the DDD?

It's amazing how uninterested people are about him... even Mario got tons of coverage, and he's arguably the most borng of my mains.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I've been disappointed by the lack of info on the great king...seems like nobody plays him in this (or PM for that matter). I guess on the plus side that means more for us to discover once the west gets the game in a couple weeks. I'd at least like to know what custom moves he has access to.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I'm confident that King Dedede is the only character with absolutely no info on his custom moves.
One of King Dedede's custom neutrals has him sucking up opponents and spitting them out further, though you are unable to hold on to them and commit suicide while they're in his stomach.

One of his custom down specials gives his Jet Hammer super armor.

And both of Dedede's custom side specials are now known. One where he tosses a Gordo to the ground where it stays. The other bounces towards the direction in which it was directed. The last one has quite a bit of kill options and can be used to essentially trap characters trying to get back on the stage (not necessarily spike since they could still make it back if they still have their second jump and recovery). Seems like both Gordo Throws have a lot of strategic purposes to their function.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Yeah, I think the Dededescussion (I'm not sorry) will pick up greatly upon international release.
Dedede isn't a newcomer, nor has his status as a veteran been built up in any regard... other than his being more expressive, I guess. But once everyone has access to the game, discussion for every character will no doubt increase, so I look forward to that.
Just a little less than two weeks~!

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's nice when some discussion actually picks up on here every now and then.

Indeed things are too quiet around here. Once the game comes out The Great King's sub-forum will definitely become a hundred times more active than it is now. Was rather disappointed when the sub-forum for my main turned out to be one of the least active veteran sub-forums...

Ah well, it won't be that way for much longer!

________

I'm gonna miss the chaingrabbing to some extent, but I'm also rather glad it's gone as it could be pretty cheap in some circumstances, it's a nerf that I really think he needed.

The only reason I ever used it myself anyway was just to troll some player that was annoying me online every now and then. :p

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
One of King Dedede's custom neutrals has him sucking up opponents and spitting them out further, though you are unable to hold on to them and commit suicide while they're in his stomach.

One of his custom down specials gives his Jet Hammer super armor.

And both of Dedede's custom side specials are now known. One where he tosses a Gordo to the ground where it stays. The other bounces towards the direction in which it was directed. The last one has quite a bit of kill options and can be used to essentially trap characters trying to get back on the stage (not necessarily spike since they could still make it back if they still have their second jump and recovery). Seems like both Gordo Throws have a lot of strategic purposes to their function.
Is there video of Dedede's custom side specials? And can they be deflected like the regular Gordo toss? I'm interested in how we can use the Gordos know, but they seem to be pretty bad outside of off stage pressure/sticking to the side of the stage. Both of these variants might be useful in different ways.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Is there video of Dedede's custom side specials? And can they be deflected like the regular Gordo toss? I'm interested in how we can use the Gordos know, but they seem to be pretty bad outside of off stage pressure/sticking to the side of the stage. Both of these variants might be useful in different ways.
Here's the Bouncing Gordos.

So, this is a thing.
I'm not quite sure where the Sticky Gordos originated from, but the first time I learned of them, I also heard about the Bouncing Gordos. I doubt the Sticky Gordos is that noticeable glitch since it appears to have permanently removed any potential usefulness for the Gordo Toss in general.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Dedede's down-B should be completely changed to something that isn't redundant and is actually usable. :p

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't know, I could find myself finding Jet Hammer pretty useful in some situations in Brawl. It's a lot like his F-Smash in power and hitbox but it gives him a bit of a chance to reposition himself if need be (while slightly damaging him at the same time). The chances of success can be slim but I've had a good amount of moments where it's worked out for me pretty well. That's just my experience with it though.

Last edited:

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it could make Dedede heavier and shield him from certain attacks to make him land more gracefully.

Cook

Smash Master
Can someone tell me about his dair? I believe it is no longer multihit? Sounds like a huge nerf, that move was one of his best...

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Can someone tell me about his dair? I believe it is no longer multihit? Sounds like a huge nerf, that move was one of his best...
It is now a downward meteor like what Ike does for his dair, iirc.
Given how good Dedede is at edgeguarding already, I have think it could potentially have some neat applications.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Dedede is a very interesting character in the new Smash, and I can't really tell just how good he'll be. He's much better as an offensive character, but all of his bread-and-butter stuff from Brawl has been changed, whether it's his CG, his bair, or his Waddle Dee camping. There's definitely the concern that Gordos are too easy to deflect in a neutral situation and that his approach hasn't been buffed enough to be able to get in on good projectile campers. I'm hopeful that his Bouncing Gordo custom will be able to disrupt camping games enough to force opponents to come to him, because that's when he can really wreck people with his range and power. Without an effective projectile I'm concerned that the King will wind up being like Brawl Ike, but hopefully that won't be a problem.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
His new Dair is a lovely change over his one in Brawl, but I rather miss his old Bair. In my experience that move was both a good approaching move and good for preventing players from recovering. I haven't been able to use his new Bair for much yet but I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

Also miss his Dtilt to an extent, but in this particular case I'm sure it's mostly because I'm just not used to the new Dedede yet. So far I honestly think it's more of an improvement over his old one, gives him some better range on it.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
I'm fine with Dair either way, but i do miss the Bair. it was nice and quick with a decent knockback.

I am upset about vB though. Getting a decent hit with it is nigh impossible. If it was like the Fire Hammer attack from kirby's hammer ability in the games, it might be a bit better. Basically like Charizard's Rock Smash.
It could also have DDD swing his hammer and spin around a few times, kinda like the SSU Masked DDD battle, but just be around 3 big swings instead of a thousand light swings

Anyways, he's not perfect, but he still feels pretty nice in Smash 4

Top Bottom