• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

BentoBox

Smash Master
Well I main Peach so playing a character that isn't as demanding technically is quite refreshing... but it still doesn't look like there's much to look forward to =/. I guess there's no room for complaints as Kirby is already an above par character~

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hehe, Bunny, I can't personally say doing those CGs is easy, but then, I don't like ICs. Still... I personally find them one of, if not the hardest character(s) to play. Them and Samus are pretty much the only characters I still can't play (though Samus annoys me more, because comparitively speaking, she's not even that tough to play... I just can't seem to do it.).

Anyway, yeah, Kirby has no ATs. HOWEVER, he is a great character with a lot of KO and gimping potential. A large part of playing Kirby is improvisation.

EDIT:

So far, this thread has taught me one thing:

The difference between a thread being stickied and a thread being banned is timing. And the amount of spam it generates.

This thread still depresses me. Bunny, can you put a picture of Ukulele Kirby in the OP to cheer my spirits?

To be fair though, your thread did look like spam...

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
About the useful links thing:

I need you guys to post threads that you all think are important so I can put them in the OP. I don't know what threads you all find useful. xD

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Any chance this one could go up?
I'd rather it not get buried under piles of spam, but I doubt it warrants a sticky.

Learn to Suck: A Guide to Inhale
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=224822

I'd also put the metagame discussion thread, the stage discussion thread, the matchup thread, and RK Joker's power discussion thread (provided it starts up again.).

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Any chance this one could go up?
I'd rather it not get buried under piles of spam, but I doubt it warrants a sticky.

Learn to Suck: A Guide to Inhale
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=224822

I'd also put the metagame discussion thread, the stage discussion thread, the matchup thread, and RK Joker's power discussion thread (provided it starts up again.).
Added, and I'll find those other links.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, no worries, I got it: (and some I forgot)

Kirby's Warp Star Adventure: Kirby's Stage Discussion:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221595

Kirby Matchup Rankings And Guide:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195032

The official "RATE MY KIRBY" and "HELP WITH A MATCHUP" thread!:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205797

Kirby & The Amazing Guide (version 2.0 now up!):
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144039

Copy Ability Tricks and Tactics:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222800

Kirby Help Desk: FAQ & Links & Introductions, ASK HERE! (Figured I might as well throw this one in since it still contains a lot of info):
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=171725

Kirby MetaGame discussion:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175168

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Thanks for the links. <3

Updated.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
I'm new to Kirby (kinda obvious because none of you guys have seen me on the Kirby boards lol) and I'm having trouble with a few things and I just have some questions.

Is GFSC any good with Kirby? I'm currently learning how to do it with DK (I've to busy to learn it before) and I was wondering if I should learn it for Kirby too.

I'm having trouble landing the hammer for kills, when's the best time to use it?

There are 2 questions, and they're probably really stupid questions, so sorry if they are sorry about that. Any help is appreciated.

BentoBox

Smash Master
What's GFSC?

And you can chase airdodges and punish with the hammer.

I have question of my own: Is there a fast way to renew your inv. frames while hanging onto the ledge? Tapping away and jumping back takes way too long~

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
What's GFSC?

I have question of my own: Is there a fast way to renew your inv. frames while hanging onto the ledge? Tapping away and jumping back takes way too long~
Grounded Footstool Combo, it's when you footstool them on the ground and use Side B or another move right after that to cancel your aerial momentum and hit them lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=wWiQTh63_XU

I saw Kirby in the vid, around 2:00 and I was wondering if it was useful.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
If I remember correctly, Kirby's GFSC only allows you to hit with the second hit of the hammer, and the opponent actually has time to shield it.
I could be wrong though. It seemed too complicated to bother learning, and I don't have too much trouble landing hammers anyway.

Sorry Bento, Kirby doesn't really have a faster way to get back to the edge.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Grounded Footstool Combo, it's when you footstool them on the ground and use Side B or another move right after that to cancel your aerial momentum and hit them lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=wWiQTh63_XU

I saw Kirby in the vid, around 2:00 and I was wondering if it was useful.
The GFSC is much too siuational to be of much use competitively. Sure, it works, and if you manage to work Side-B'ing immediately after a footstool into your muscle memory, you can pull it out...but it's just so unlikely that you'll ever do so in a real match

EDITZ:

Crouch Avoid List
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=177267

Star Warriors (The Official Kirby Support Thread)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144931

Kirby Tournament Results Thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208841

~The Wi-fi Kirby Thread and Player Finder~
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222961

Kirby Research Thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=223143

EDITEDITz:
What threads can we unsticky because they are on this list? Also, how can we organize the listed threads in the OP?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Whats Kirby's worst matchup?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195032

a bunch XD

Sorry Bento, Kirby doesn't really have a faster way to get back to the edge.
I was once in an items match (>_>)

and someone used the Timer on me so I was slow

And if I pressed away from the edge, I automatically grabbed onto it again if I didn't to anything. It was pretty cool.

But other than that, he doesn't really have a way. Personally, I like to press Down and then immediately Final Cutter if my opponent's on the stage, because it has a huge disjointed hitbox and tends to hit people. But some players can edgehog you quickly, or run off and stagespike you if they predict it.

But that's not really a good way of renewing invincibility frames when someone's offstage. :/

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll say four worst characters at best, (Snake, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, and Ice Climbers), the rest needs to be discuss more.

My question. I main Ness and Wario as my other mains in tourney's, but I know Kirby's bad match up's isn't covered well with those two. My question is should I main another character, or just leave it as that?

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
What's GFSC?

You COULD use Tap down then use Up B. If they shield it, Grab back on the ledge. If they don't shield it, they get hit by both the up slash and the down slash. Then, since they land flat, you could jump and use Fair or Drop away Jump and Inhale for Kirby Cyde.

But, Tapping away and jumping back is generally the most effective way.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
i thought it best to ask a question before i create a thread. aren't i considerate? lol. =)

anyway, i was wondering if it would be beneficial to have a thread dedicated to the 'best kirby vids' (like samuelson's 'best vids of each character' thread in the tactical boards) to show the kirby's metagame thus far.

i kinda got the idea from the marth boards, but they have it ranked by player. (other ways of doing it could be like, nominating 'best use of nair,' or 'best use of inhale' or even if it were only 'best kirby vid so far' or something). not to say that's bad, i mean, i guess if ranked by player chudat would probably be nominated as the best vids to watch. but regardless, if it were updated regularly, it could really give the kirby boards stuff to look forward to.

besides that, i check the kirby vid archive often, but i'd really rather spend time watching 1 or 2 matches that are indicative of high/the highest level of tourney play than watch 5 or 6 in a series where the kirby plays to around 80% of his/her full potential.

just a thought, cuz i'd really like to see some awesome kirby vids.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You COULD use Tap down then use Up B. If they shield it, Grab back on the ledge. If they don't shield it, they get hit by both the up slash and the down slash. Then, since they land flat, you could jump and use Fair or Drop away Jump and Inhale for Kirby Cyde.

But, Tapping away and jumping back is generally the most effective way.
Though if they shield the upslash and powershield the down one (or PS both), we die, so yeah... Granted, it doesn't happen often, but it's best to know.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Though if they shield the upslash and powershield the down one (or PS both), we die, so yeah... Granted, it doesn't happen often, but it's best to know.
Still, if you see him PS the first one, Risk it and go for the stage. It's better to get some %'s, rather than loosing a stock.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, ive decided to secondary kirby so I had one quick question. Are kirby's jab cancels (jab>ftilt etc.)any good. Personally i haven't found them useful but maybe thats just me. Thanks in advance! :)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Kirby's jab has a nice amount of stun, and he can lead into a lot of stuff with it. It's pretty useful. :3

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
On that note, is it better to jab cancel after one or two jabs?
Well, I use the first Jab to make them put up their shield. The I Grab. I think that since it's not a move that uses the A button, It could be buffered in some sort of strange way. They'll either Shield or use their Jabs. But, against characters with slow Jabs like DDD, it's pretty useful.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Still, if you see him PS the first one, Risk it and go for the stage. It's better to get some %'s, rather than loosing a stock.
Right, I'm just saying it migt not be the best ledge dropped option.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
Well, I use the first Jab to make them put up their shield. The I Grab. I think that since it's not a move that uses the A button, It could be buffered in some sort of strange way. They'll either Shield or use their Jabs. But, against characters with slow Jabs like DDD, it's pretty useful.
So are jab cancels only good to cancel into a grab, or do they go well with tilts?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
They can work with tilts.

I almost always do a single jab and then grab.

Jab->Dtilt works really well too. Particularly because Kirby's so short when using it.

If you're going to ftilt, you may as well just do the entire Vulcan Jab, in my opinion.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
My question. I main Ness and Wario as my other mains in tourney's, but I know Kirby's bad match up's isn't covered well with those two. My question is should I main another character, or just leave it as that?
*Shamlessley bump this post* T_T

I have another question, which character should be my new main for this post I bumped up, Toon Link or King Dedede?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
D3 would probably work better, though I don't know if either of them cover Marth...

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
i thought it best to ask a question before i create a thread. aren't i considerate? lol. =)

anyway, i was wondering if it would be beneficial to have a thread dedicated to the 'best kirby vids' (like samuelson's 'best vids of each character' thread in the tactical boards) to show the kirby metagame thus far.
shameless bump, like viper. =)

i'm really thinking of just creating a thread that has 'best kirby vid so far' and ppl can nominate which they think is the best as kirby's metagame progresses.

mods, will u lock a thread like this down, or can i go thru with it?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'm not the mod of the Kirby boards, but I'm pretty sure you can put something like that in the video thread instead of making a new thread.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, just put it up in the video thread.

To be fair though, Percon and Chu Dat don't seem to put up many videos, and from what I've heard they're two of the best.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
D3 would probably work better, though I don't know if either of them cover Marth...
King Dedede is one of Marth's disadvantage if I recall because of King Dedede's range, recovery and killing power. I'll try to remian King Dedede, I stop maining him because too many people was using him.

Percon

Smash Lord
Yeah, just put it up in the video thread.

To be fair though, Percon and Chu Dat don't seem to put up many videos, and from what I've heard they're two of the best.
The only videos that get uploaded of me are ones randomly from tournaments that have setups. I have a few good ones recorded on my Wii but have no means to upload them (though many of them are outdated)

Good news, though: me and people from my region want to have a "combo video day" where we all just record friendlies and make a combo video at the end of the day.

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
Stuff like this really irritates me because playing ICs is not as simple as people like to think.
I tried them.

I failed

anyway, my when i shtl, i get two lazers in the air and one on the ground. is that supposed to happen? also, when i use it to try stop falco's approach, he gets through anyway by rolling. how should i stop this?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Punish the roll.

Also, you can get 3 lasers in the air and one faster one as you land if you're doing it right. Question is, are you getting lasers as soon as you jump?

mith132

Smash Apprentice
I have a quick question. How do you momentum cancel with kirby? I do a ff bair then a jump, but im not sure if thats the best way. thanks in advance :)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Pretty sure you're doing it right, Mith.

When you SHTL (short hop triple laser) with Falco's power, the first two are in the air, and the third is a "silent" one right before/as you hit the ground. It has no lag. If you're playing as Fox, you can do pretty much the same thiing.

If you're playing as Kirby with Fox's power, you can do a SHQL (quadruple)

Viper, it depends on what you want. Dedede would probably be the better choice, because he's the stronger character, and he's easier to play.

Personally, Toon Link is one of my 5 "mains", and he's pretty hard to play and win with at high levels unless you practice with him a lot.

I never play Dedede, and yet I'm good enough with him to consider him a "main."

He's just stupidly easy to play. I'd probably place higher in tournaments if I played him instead of Kirby. -_-

Everyone says Marth > Toon Link, but I think TL at least does better against Marth than Kirby does. He has projectiles, and Zair.

Toon Link doesn't do too bad against Snake, either. Meta Knight is beatable (bombs > tornado :D)

TL;DR version: If you pick up Toon Link and practice him seriously and consistently, you can do very well with him. Otherwise, you'll probably just lose.

Top Bottom